Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout | Odell Brewing Company

odells.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by denver10 on 01-03-2013

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Amazing looking beer on nitro! Dark brown / black beer with a cascading bubbling 4 finger head.

S - Chocolate, cocoa, hazelnut, milk, vanilla. Some booze as it warms.

T - Extends right from the smell. Milk chocolate, slight booze, vanilla. Delicious.

M - The best part of the beer. So velvety, creamy and smooth. This might be one of the best mouthfeels on any beer. Mindblowing.

O - I never bothered to get a 4 pack of this beer, but I'm very glad to have tried it on tap. I think the nitro tap helped this beers mouthfeel and appearance. I bet the bottled version wouldn't drink nearly as well. Great stuff, one of my new favorite milk stouts. Up there with Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate!

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Odell Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout. Stout brewed with milk chocolate. Odell Brewing Company, Fort Collins, Colorada. 8.5% alc by vol.

Solid darkness, below a slim ring of cocoa-tinted head.

Aroma: malty, somewhat sweet, light chocolate notes. Nice.

Taste: Sweet cocoa and cream hit first, mighty dark malt floods the mouth. Medium bitterness, creamy mouthfeel. Oh, here come's the flavor. Tasty mix, real nice on the tongue.

Hey, let's read the label and find out why it's called Lugene: "If you've ever been to our brewery, you've likely seen the old, beat-up truck that hauls away our spent grain. That truck belongs to Lugene, who's been feeding his air cows the hearty malt for over a decade. Named in his honor, Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout is brewed with milk sugar and milk chocolate. The rich and creamy brew reminds us of a cold glass of chocolate milk and our hometown "Aggie" roots."

Flavor gets bigger and develops more while in the mouth. Very nice chocolate taste, smooth and delicious. Yum, actually.

One flaw, though, is the high alcohol. For me, if I want to strong stout, I want an imperial stout. If I'm drinking a chocolate stout, I don't necessarily want to be beaten with booze.

Aside from that, I do like this.

Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout from Odell Brewing Company