Amuste | Odell Brewing Company

Odell Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
odells.com

Style: American Porter

Must is to wine as wort is to beer; the primordial ooze, the source and foundation, that feeds the process of fermentation we all love so much. Amuste is the culmination of a two year endeavor to marry these two fuels into the same fire. An Imperial Porter aged in oak wine barrels accented with juice with Tempranillo grapes grown on the Western Slope of Colorado, this harmonic carbonation is truly, a must.

Added by Mebuzzard on 02-15-2013

Liked:
3.87/5
Alströms:

4.62/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good head retention. Pours a nice deep opaque brown with really good creay tan head. Nice thick collar and swirls held until the very end. Pungent earthy wine-like aromas. Some nice sweet roasty malt character. Taste is the wine up front (dry, deep fruit, dark), grape juice right behind that but only for a second, and ends with a nice woody-ness. Great high carbonation and medium-thick body. I really dig this beer!

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 ML bottle poured into non brewery affiliated snifter. Corked and capped bottle says 2013 on it and was purchased in March of 2013 in AZ since Odell does not distribute to my lovely state.

A: Brown with a little bit of a reddish hue. I will also add that it had a ton of head even with what I would consider was a tepid pour. Cork also released a thunderous pop when I took it out.

S: A decent amount of dark fruitiness. A small amount of chocolate and even a bit of wood.

T: Tasted like a fig newton to me. I couldn't stop coming back to that so I didn't really get much else.

M: Amuste is highly carbonated. I would say this is on the lighter side of medium, especially for a porter.

O: This bottle is somewhere around a year old so maybe that has something to do with the high amount of carbonation. It is possible that if I would have opened it fresh maybe it would have been a different story. I like the idea of what they were branching off and trying to do here. I also think that they have found something here. If this is a baseline and they tinker with this beer a bit I think it could be very good. The bottle that I just had I would say is between ok and good, but if the opportunity arises to try this beer in the future I will not pass it up.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Cork and caged bottle from late 2012. No date stamp but I know it was from last winter.

Cork puts up a fight but is eventually wiggled free with a solid pop. Poured into a chalice, it's immediately evident that the beer is fizzy. Very dark brown with redish highlights and thin fizzy head that seems out of character.

Aroma is really nice with a great combination of dark malts, red wine, and oak barrel aging.

Flavor is sweet, roasty, and vinous. It's maybe like a pint of porter with a shot of red wine in terms of ratio. Good balanced, low on hops but the dark malts make up for any need of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and totally over carbonated, in my opinion. It's difficult to even the taste the beer upon first sip because the bubbles are fighting their way to get out. Disappointing since the beer is otherwise very good.

Overall a good beer but they really need to work on that carbonation level. I know it can be challenging with bottle conditioning but a big brewer should be able to get it right.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

After having a glass of this would be hard pressed to believe this was aged in wine barrels. The wine quality is very subdued and you have to look for it. Big time dark beer-porter with a big roasty quality. Lots of chocolate and a bit of burnt malt. Decent beer but not worth the price tag.

3.52/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours dark brown. Looks black without any pointed interest. The pour gives birth to a big, fluffy mass of tan bubbles. It retains well enough, too.

S-Porter base is all there, coffee and chocolate. There is also a grapes element. It's somewhat artificial in my nose. It's an odd tag team of Porter and grape concentrate.

T-The flavor is a bit stronger and more natural when it comes to he wine/grape element. I get plenty of Porter flavors and more than enough grape must. Yet to me, these flavors do not mingle well.

M-Moderate carbonation accompanies a medium-to-heavy body. Quite sticky.

O/D-I don't know if this beer is a miss or if this general idea is a miss. I tend to lean towards the latter. Porter with grape must just doesn't sound like a great idea. Reminds me of "ChocoWine", the gross chocolate infused wine that can be had at any local liquor store.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%