1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Rude Boy | Burley Oak Brewing Co.

Rude BoyRude Boy

Maryland, United States
burleyoak.com

Style: American Barleywine

Sessionable Barleywine

This seven malt red ale is filled with complexity; expect hints of nuts, burnt sugar, raisin and a slight touch of smoke.

Reviews by BeerForMuscle:
4.08/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I CAN cry - I had this in abeyance for a while & when I was rearranging other beers for a turn, this one fell on the deck & CANpromised itself! Awww. Well, it just got moved up to the top of the queue as a result.

From the CAN: "

I Crack!ed the CAN open & gave a moment of sad, silent reflection before CANmencing a slow, gentle Glug. I was so regretful for having shunted it aside, only to drop it ignominiously, forcing me to drink it well out of turn in the queue. I recently dispatched a call out of the queue out of turn & I was held acCANtable for it, so I know how this one feels. Nose was the dictionary definition of "leathery". My my. Its fumes wafted out of the goblet like a gentle wave, enticing me to partake of its essence. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with a light, CANstantly decreasing haze that bespoke a chill haze. I feel so badly about all of this! The taste was really leathery! I spent a LOT of time in the military around fresh, virgin leather, so I know how it smells. Oh, man. This probably had an amount of time left on it until I dropped it. 8=( I loved the way it rolled around on my tongue, soft & slick, like I imagine a dolphin or a penguin might act. The taste was so leathery that I wondered whether my fave dominatrix might not have snuck up behind me to get the raw leather belt in my mouth as a gag! She knows that I am only into light B&D/S&M as foreplay, so it backed off acCANdingly. Mmm. I was simply letting it languor around on my tongue as I allowed the opium smoke to swirl around my head as the mama-san took the pipe from me. This is S.F., no? Hong Kong? Never mind. I remain CANvinced that this had some more aging & life left to it, which I inCANvertently snuffed out prematurely. The finish was semi-dry, evincing its coming lack of sweetness. I could cry, given its potential. I f**ked up! 8=(

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Rude Boy Sessionable Barleywine Ale
25 ounce bottle with 2013 date in the corner
A - pours a red bubbly rich thick head of three fingers that recedes to one finger and stays through the drinking. Looks very carbonated.
S - toasted malts, barley and rye, a bit of fruit, a touch of hops.
T - heavy on the malts but not quite a barleywine. Sweet with a slight bitter twinge. A touch of rye with a fruity aftertaste and slight alcohol burn.
M - smooth, creamy, slick, and not as carbonated as it looked.
O - pretty good but it isn't quite a typical red ale or barleywine but that's a good thing in this case.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

3.51/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap in a pint glass.

A- Reddish brown color with a off-white colored head. There's plenty of bubbly carbonation and a lasting 1-plus finger head. Not much lacing.

S- Super strong toasted barley malts and a very potent scotch-like alcohol smell.

T- Some sweet malts to battle the booze. Big and bold maltiness.

M- There's nothing light here, lots of body. But it's so boozy that the alcohol trumps all.

O- I asked the bartender if the abv was 9.0% as she set the glass in front of me. She confirmed my estimate. It smelled 9.0, tasted and felt like even more. Not very enjoyable or drinkable for me.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a good fucking sour. All sours are not good beers in my opinion unless it's hot as fuck out. If so, then these beers are smoother than a tax evasion. Hopped well and tart, yet dry on the finish. Fuck yea.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%

Sampled this at the brewery and purchased a growler. Opened the growler two days after purchasing and reviewed.

A: This red ale pours a deep reddish brown color with a thin ivory-colored head. Good carbonation present and mild lacing.

S: Aromas of malt, rye, some hops, yeast, bread, and slight alcohol.

T: Deep maltiness with notes of rye and yeast, hints of red wine and whiskey, and a touch of caramel.

M: Earthy and grainy yet still has a good smoothness to it. Flavors are well balanced. Has characteristics of a whiskey, and a good dryness comes through.

O: A solid, tasty red ale from small brewery Burley Oak, which is located in Berlin, Maryland, close to Ocean City, Maryland, and about two and a half hours from the Baltimore area. This beer is brimming with malt and rye popping out right at the front, and it completes with a nice dryness. I like their Hugs & Nugs Double IPA better, as I'm more fond of IPAs, but this one is still a good offering. My wife gave the Rude Boy a try after Bryan Brushmiller, owner of Burley Oak and a cordial tasting room host, indicated that wine lovers find this one to be to their tasting (as noted in the description on their website--"the wine of beers"). She liked it quite a bit then and says it's her favorite beer. Well done, Mr. Brushmiller!

3.51/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got this as a gift in a week old growler. I am sure the carbonation was way off. Poured a deep amber with almost no head. Tasted a bit flat, but still had nice profile, earthy malty with raisin or plums. Had no idea what the alcohol was, so it was well hidden. Would love to have this fresh and properly carbonated.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Rude Boy from Burley Oak Brewing Co.