Longboat Chocolate Porter | Phillips Brewing Company

Longboat Chocolate PorterLongboat Chocolate Porter

Phillips Brewing Company
British Columbia, Canada

Style: English Porter

Classic Pairings in History: Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney Super Dave Osborne & Mr. Fuji Cheddar cheese & pickles Bob & Doug McKenzie Mork & Mindy Bonnie & Clyde Chocolate & Beer!!! We'd say that Longboat is a classic chocolate porter, but lets face it, who's ever heard of a chocolate porter? It is, however, a rich dark ale, with a distinctive chocolate finish. Comes in a 650mL bottle, cause 341mL just isn't enough!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-17-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 55 | Ratings: 155
4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

I purchased this from Spinnakers Spirit Merchants, just a few blocks from the Brewery (although the bottle label has not been updated, they're now located at 426 William St.). Although the brewery isn't set up for retail sales, you can purchase kegs from them.

A: Black with a hint of ruby. Tan head doesn't have any retention, but leaves a little lace.

S: CHOCOLATE, with a little mocha and bread.

T: VERY chocolatey, nice bittersweet balance, slight tangy fruityness. (Taste is pushing a 4.5).

M: Light body, slightly chalky, moderate carbonation.

D: Awesome. Really between 4.5 and 5, but since I skimped on the taste score, I'll give it another nudge here.

1.21/5  rDev -66.8%

When I was a kid, I once touched a hot iron. My mom saw me eyeing the iron and said, "Don't touch it, it's hot." Well no shit, mom. I KNOW it's hot. What I don't know is just how hot it is. So, I touched the iron and learned a very valuable lesson: hot irons really ARE hot, just like mom says. (I then went and watched "Son of Godzilla", and learned that if you have giant preying mantises on an island, big ass lizards are the way to go. I also learned that thermonuclear bombs make the giant preying mantises even bigger, but don't seem to do a damn thing to the giant lizards. It was a lesson-filled day.). Anyway, this beer is somewhat like that iron.

I have had, over the years, four or five different beers from Phillips Brewing and I haven't cared for any of them. However, I keep going back to touch the iron, hoping I was wrong all those other times I got burned. Well, I am once again wrong, and now refuse to go back to the iron. If someone wants to hand me a bottle of Amnesia, I'll give it a shot. But I'm sure as hell not going to buy the damn thing. Even this dumbass can get burned one time too many.

The theme of today's review is: Flat, watery, maraschino cherry syrup laden cola.

Appearance: Again with the "when I was a kid" crap. When I was a kid, every time we would go to a Chinese restaurant I would order a Shirley Temple and my brother would order a Roy Rogers (to compound my faux pas, I would also order a hamburger, as my only frame of reference for Chinese food was the La Choy swill my mom would foist on us twice a month). We had no idea who Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers were at the time, we just knew that we were either getting Sprite or Coke with an assload of maraschino cherry syrup added to it. This thing looks like a Roy Rogers that has had all the ice melt. Dark red and watery, and nothing like a porter at all.

Smell: I might smell chocolate, but really it just smells sweet. Not malt sweet, like "Hey, this is a malty beer" but syrupy sweet as in "Ok, who's the jackass that dumped their chocolate syrup in my beer?"

Taste: There is nothing even remotely resembling a porter in this taste. It's all syrupy sweet and then a hint of semi-dark chocolate. It really does taste like a flat Roy Rogers, or a flat chocolate Coke (which, I'm sorry to say, is one of the nastiest creations - the soda, not the beer - I've ever had the misfortune to taste). Even my eight year old doesn't like this beer, and he's a sugar junkie like any other kid his age. (In his words: "tastes like really bad chocolate with no taste." No, I haven't the faintest idea what he means.)

Mouthfeel: Again, yet another watery soda comparison. Very thin, very watery. I want a porter to have some presence in my mouth, and this one simply doesn't. This has all the mouthfeel magic of orange Gatorade, without the electrolyte boost.

Drinkability: Sorry, can't do it, and won't recommend it. I won't be able to finish this bomber. It truly is a drain pour.

The label reads as follows: "Big and rich, this London style porter is charged with chocolate to give a distinctive finish."

1) This is London-style like I'm a big band leader. It may want to be, but only in its dreams.

2) Yes, it's charged with chocolate and yes, it has a distinctive finish. However, neither element is really a positive. If you're going to make a chocolate porter, I would suggest going for a REAL London style, one that has a dry, roasty, almost smoky finish (you know, coke fired malts and the like), and then use some nice, dry baker's chocolate to give you that dry, chocolatey finish you are purportedly going for. Because if that is precisely what was being aimed for, this beer fails miserably.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

I believe Phillips has been tinkering with this recipe, as my latest sample is far better than my first taste around Christmas time.

It pours a deep chocolatey brown -- not quite black, but close. A decent fluffy head forms and stay for a bit. Not much lacing is left on my glass, but a good looking beer nonetheless.

The aroma is deep chocolate with a slightly roasty edge to it. The flavour is similar: layered chocolate and roastiness, with a nutty woodiness underneath. Very little hops character is detectable. It is slightly sweet, but this doesn't impair its drinkability to me. For a "double chocolate" beer, I expect some sweetness and lots of chocolate -- and here it is.

The mouthfeel is light enough to avoid being cloying, but smooth enough to feel creamy.

All in all, this is pretty much exactly what I expected to drink. Well done Phillips.

4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

Serving size is a 650ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Longboat is dark black and opaque. The head is dark beige/light brown about one and a half fingers high. There isn't much head retention though.

The chocolate smell is right up front. Reminds me of luscious dark chocolate that you only treat yourself to at Christmas. Very sweet, but teasing a little malt and bitterness.

True to the scent, this is dark chocolate in flavour. Quite sweet for a porter, but bitter for chocolate. At the swallow the taste is all chocolate, but as it mellows to the aftertaste a burnt flavour joins the chocolate as they both mellow from the palate. A coffee flavour develops as you progress through the drink. This is probably due to the warming. At the end it reminds me of eating chocolate covered espresso beans.

Slightly carbonated, the mouthfeel is well balanced and even. Perhaps a little thin compared to other porters I've tried.

This reminds me of a dessert wine. Something that is nice once in a while, but that you couldn't drink all night long. However, this brew I would like to have on a regular basis.

All in all, this isn't really that much like a porter. So if that's what you're looking for, this is the wrong place. The brewer's intent was obviously to be strong on chocolate (in the name it does say "Double Chocolate Porter") and I think in that respect they've created a fantastic beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

The label promises big chocolate notes and alas what is inside does not deliver . I found this too thin for my tastes and not moca enough. Drinkable but not memorable. Compare to the Spy Porter from Tree and you can see the difference a strong midbody can make in this style.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last