Service 1904 Scottish Stone Fired Ale | Phillips Brewing Company

Phillips Brewing Company
British Columbia, Canada
phillipsbeer.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Brewed in honour of poet Robert Service, the Service 1904 Scottish Stone Fired Ale is an easy-drinker that is on tap exclusively at the Bard & Banker, Irish Times and Penny Farthing in Victoria. The ale is brewed by adding heated stones to the kettle where sugars carmelize on the stones, resulting in a slight sweetness with a dry finish.

Added by bobsy on 06-01-2010

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 6
Reviews by jrempel:
3.5/5  rDev -3%

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.43/5  rDev -5%

Had this a couple of times at the 'Tard and Wanker (as the B&B is known by some local wags). It was a hit with the non-beer people at my table and I was underwhelmed at first. The advertising makes you anticipate something special and what you get is pleasant/unchallenging (Phillips either goes with max alcohol and character, or anonymous - interesting dichotomy there). Sure, hot rocks may have been chucked in, but for all the difference it makes to the flavour profile, who could tell?

That said - I readjusted my expectations a bit and I finally came to the conclusion that what we have here is a legitimate go at the kind of ale you might actually get in a Scottish pub...80 shilling I believe they call it. Over her Scottish ales are very malty and strong (damn near every one would qualify as a Wee Heavy back in God's country) but for a session ale I think this is authentic. I know Phillips promised never to brew a beer under 5%, but I have a suspicion this weighs in at 4.4% or so. Alcohol content isn't advertised...anybody know the true % or OG?

3.5/5  rDev -3%