Gingerbread Stout | Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Virginia, United States
hardywood.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Availability: Fall

Brewed with baby ginger from Casselmonte Farm and wildflower honey from Bearer Farms, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout captures the terroir of central Virginia in a rich, creamy libation with a velvety mouthfeel and an intriguing evolution of flavors from milk chocolate and vanilla to honeycomb and cinnamon to a snap of ginger in the finish.

Deep, dark chocolate in color with a mahogany tint and a frothy, caramel colored head, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout offers aromatics of holiday spice originating from the ginger, and balanced with a generous dose of whole Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans and Vietnamese cinnamon. Milk sugar (lactose) contributes to the full body of this stout and tames its roasty character, while oats lend a silky quality. Enjoy fresh, or cellar for a special occasion. We hope Hardywood Gingerbread Stout contributes to your merriment this season.

Added by TechTriumph on 12-08-2011

Ratings: 1,383 |  Reviews: 192

Look, I'm a home-towner and long time fan of Hardywood, but I just don't see what the fuss is all about on this one. It's interesting, but just too sweet and gingery. It's fine, but it just didn't keep me interested like, for example, Xocoveza.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Good IPA. Smooth; easy drinking.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer had a pronounced ginger and cinnamon smell. It tasted like ginger and hot cinnamon, and alcohol. I did not taste any stout flavor. I was underwhelmed by this beer as I am underwhelmed by all these newbies who love koolaid beer. You used to have to acquire the taste for beer, but now many brewers cater to the narrow pallets of children.

3.2/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2014 vintage
I don't quite get this one, but apparently I'm in the minority based on other reviews. Fresh ginger is definitely present in the nose and the taste, but it's quite lacking in gingerbread cookie and milk stout flavors (like I was hoping for). Instead it tastes and smells more like somebody mixed a light stout with Coca-Cola and a Jamaican ginger beer soda. It's also quite thin with more carbonation than it should have. I was hoping for a thicker body with more robust and cookie-like stout flavors, so this is very disappointing.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

Thanks to Sam for the trade at the BBGBS release!

Refrigerated for about 5-10 minutes before serving. Poured into a Hardywood goblet, a dark brown color, lighter around the edges, with about two fingers of beige head that dwindled to a thick ringlet. This was very strange. At first, the aroma was very acrid and it seemed oxidized to me, with a bit of ginger, cinnamon, and caramel coming through. After letting it sit for a while, this changed quite dramatically, becoming more full of gingerbread cookie, vanilla icing and all, the harshness almost completely removed. The taste was extremely bitter up front. Extremely bitter. There was a definite gingerbread cookie sensation in there, but the bitterness overwhelmed it completely, and again, there seemed to be off-flavors indicative of oxidation. So I let it sit some more. The cookie-ness came out a bit more, but it was still quite bitter and stale, woody and kind of unpleasant, all the way into the aftertaste. It's almost as if a good, yummy cookie flavor wants to come to the forefront, but it just never gets there. Body was about medium, a bit thin for a stout...more like an English stout, or even a brown ale; fairly smooth, but just too harsh in flavor to be enjoyable. I can't imagine these bottles being bad already. The alternative theory is....this is just another over-hyped beer. Not impressed.

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pitch black, strong ginger smell and some sort of milky sweetness , no aftertaste, smooth beer!

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2014 release. Guess this is 3 years old.

Dark chocolate brown body with a pinkish beige 2 finger head.

Aromas of ginger, maple sap, oatmeal, chocolate, and alcohol - I wanna say bourbon sweetness although there's no barrel to be found in the recipe. Lots of delicious spices waft up to the olfactory too.

Flavor is mostly absent honestly...and by that I mean it hides behind a watery body to start. I'm guessing this has to be consumed fresh. Behind the water, I get old crumbled gingerbread man, coffee grounds, molasses, nutmeg, and red hots. Ending on coffee and sympathetic fake sugar with breaths of ginger. As it warms it just gets awful. Awful.

Feel is pretty watery, but leaves an interesting coating on the palate, with some roasty dryness and biting carbonation. Just way too thin for a stout in any instance.

Well, Gingerbread Stout was a fail for me. Having a real hard time finishing it. I honestly think it's something that needs to be consumed fresh. Unfortunate, but I guess I can cross this off my list now :-(

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Wasn't a big fan of this really. It's not bad but the taste to me was just not great. As far a dessert beers this one is not for me. If you love gingerbread it would likely be good. Quality beer but I wouldn't seek out if it was in my distro

3.41/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Like the-adjunct-hippie 's comments I had an older release and it was tough to consume. Straight ginger and spice nothing else. I feel this a beer that needs to be drank fresh

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 ml brown bottle into a clear glass tulip. 2014 vintage. Purchased at Market Street Wineshop (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Black with 1/2-finger beige foamy head with decent retention but no lacing.

S: Heavy ginger and cinnamon on this one with a bit of figgy dark fruit and light booziness/rum raisin flavor.

T: The flavor is also over gingered and cinnamoned with very light roast, fig and raisin fruitiness which is faint but is totally dominated by the ginger spice addition. Too much for me. Also some molasses and light vanilla most noticeable in the finish.

M: Thinner than I imagined given that it is a milk stout but plenty drinkable, low carbonation, medium body .

O: Not my cup of tea -- you had better like ginger and spiced beer in general if you want to try this beer. This is a very fresh bottle, maybe sitting on this for awhile would have helped but not up my alley.

3.45/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

At first, this smells like a ginger bomb. But letting it open up some will reveal some subtle vanilla and cinnamon. I also get a little milk sugar in the form of a cream note. It comes together very well, but it's a touch mild. And the flavor profile is even milder. It opens up with a touch of lactose sweetness, and trails off into a spicy finish. I do pick up light ginger and cinnamon, and I'm glad both notes aren't overpowering everything else. Trouble is, everything else tastes dinky - really dinky. This is a perfect example of overt subtlety, as it makes the whole beer seem far weaker than 9%. On the plus side, it seems far weaker than 9%, which means the drinkability is excellent. Granted, it's excessively thin bodied, and 5% stouts have more flavor than this, but still. This is one dangerous brew. I wonder if this isn't as good on tap as it is in the bottle, because this growler is a massive letdown. It's wimpy tasting, plain and simple. And to think this is the most hyped beer in the DMV area...

I've got a bottle on standby, maybe that will be better. Watch for a pending re-review.

EDIT: And here we go, finishing this growler off at a colder temperature, it's really improved nicely. Now, it has a genuine presence of gingerbread cookies, a much bigger flavor, and seemingly a thicker feel (though that may be due to the lowered carbonation). I still don't think it quite lives up to all the hype, but I definitely think it deserves a much higher score than what I originally gave it.

3.48/5: Hey, it'll land Heady Topper in a trade...

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%