Belgian DIPA | Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
Virginia, United States
hardywood.com

Style: Belgian IPA

They say some of the best inventions were created by mistake. That was certainly the case with Hardywood Belgian DIPA. Originally intended as the base beer for Hoplar, our wood aged American-style double IPA, this beer was fermented with the Belgian abbey-style ale yeast we use with Hardywood Singel. The resulting beer offers the assertive hoppy bitterness of Hoplar with the fruity, spicy character of Singel. An accident, yes, but a delicious one, indeed!

Added by kylehay2004 on 07-20-2012

Liked:
3.83/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

I had this at the November Baltimore Area BA tasting. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy amber color with a golden hue. There is a very mild layer of off white head.

Smell: Sweet up front. There is a hint of cooked vegetables that I assume comes from the yeast. Just a touch of fruit with a slight warmth from the alcohol.

Taste: This is a very sweet beer given that it's supposed to be a Belgian IPA. I'm getting some Belgian spice and candy sugar. The bitterness shows up more in the finish with the malt backing it up. There is a hint of cooked veggies here too.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the syrupy side of medium with light, tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this beer was slightly weird. The cooked veggie note wasn't my favorite. I don't think I'd want more in the future.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%