Chocolate Heat | Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

hardywood.com

Style: Chile Beer

Added by YumYumGumGum on 02-09-2013

2.15/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark ruby color. The who-knows-how-many fingers, mocha-colored head has a massive, billowing structure and fluffy quality to it - is this the sign of an infection?

S: The dominating aromatic note is roasted barley, followed by chocolate. I don't pick up much in the way of peppery heat, but I do pick up some faint pepper flesh notes. The fruity tones of habanero are there, if not horribly strong. I worried about an infection due to the look of the beer, and the metallic edge throughout tells me something might be wrong with this bottle.

T: It starts off with a strong roasted edge. A fruity hint - both from yeast esters and the peppers - are in the middle before finishing with dry chocolate. Slight touches of peppery heat accumulate on the aftertaste, but otherwise is quite timid in presence. What I forgot to mention are the notes of battery acid, phenols, (unwelcome) harsh lactose, and metal shavings throughout the flavor profile. Yep, this is probably infected, and not the good "TOTALLY AWESOME SOUR STOUT~" kind either, but the bad "metallic, battery acid, and fail" kind. It sliiightly improves as I power through it - the nastier notes sort of transmute into more of a regular habanero quality.

M: Very light and airy in body, to the point of clashing with the dry, roasted finish instead of blending together. It's also overcarbonated and it kind of burns the esophagus going down. To be fair, the latter quality definitely seems like it comes from the chiles rather than an infection. At least it's pretty drinkable - inasmuch as a 9% infected mess could be drunk easily.

O: Blargh. Either this is an infection, or the roast qualities badly mesh with the pepper and Belgian yeast. Still, I'm not sure this is what the brewers intended. It becomes less horrible as I do my damnedest to put it down at least. This will get one final chance tomorrow under the watch of another (not so) discerning taster - if that fails, then the remainder is going in my chili. Hey, if nothing else, this SHOULD make great chili.

2.42/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Hardywood Chocolate Infected Heat Ale

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.79/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was very anxious to try this beer and finally got the opportunity.

A: weak coffee brown in color. Light tan head with overflowing carbonation. Color kinda looks more like a dark ale than anything.

S: I get a faint cocoa aroma on the nose. And I had to take several whiffs to get that. There's nothing present to make me think there will be pepper heat to it. Maybe the smell of some green bell pepper.

T: Very difficult to find the cocoa taste that I smelled a minute ago. I can't find anything chocolate in it. I taste nothing spicy that the label or name would imply. I'm waiting for a little pepper sting on the back end and it never shows. I'm tasting the vegetable flavor of a pepper but no "heat". I let it sit for s while to warm up hoping the anticipated flavors show up. No change with temp. Belgian yeast flavors very present.

M: Very thin for a stout or a porter. Carbonation just keeps coming like pop rock candy.

Overall... this drinks more like a dark belgian ale. Not a bad beer but nothing like the name and label would imply.

2.86/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Chocolate Heat from Hardywood Park Craft Brewery