Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon Sidamo Coffee Stout | Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Availability: Spring

Imperial Coffee Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels

Added by ThatCracker on 03-02-2013

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just to start, this is my first review because I am not good at them and I pretty much have a wrecked palate.

A - Pours dark with a nice bit of tan head, about a thumbs worth.

S - Coffee and bourbon where both about equal - no alcohol smell at all.

T - Goodness. The first thing that surprised was the overall smoothness on the palate. A great balance of fresh coffee and bourbon taste. A slight bit of vanilla is in the background with the malt as well. There is very little hint of alcohol and no bitterness at all.

M - Smooth. This feels like a high class bourbon.

O - Overall they nailed this one. I did enjoy the regular Sidamo but would not go out of my way for it. This knocks it out the park. At 10.3% it is extremely dangerous and should be enjoyed sitting down at home or with a taxi ride planned.

My new favorite Hardywood brew....as good as the christmas in a bottle!

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a darkish brown with a nice light tannish head. you can smell the coffee and for sure the bourbon. Taste of coffee you get initially, then the bourbon gets you on the finish. I love the coffee that is used for this brew. I may have to get my wife to purchase some on her next business trip to Richmond. Another winner from Hardywood!!

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

In a word, awesome.

Obtained 750ml bottle while on travel from the taproom in Charlottesville, VA. They had it on the counter at room temp. Spent a couple more days at room temp before finding my fridge. Two weeks later, poured into Teku.

Upon drinking this, I told my wife I was going to quit my job and go and drink this beer. She pointed-out that, if I quit my job, I wouldn't be able to afford to buy this beer. Bummer!

Coffee stouts are becoming one of my favorite styles. I had a Founder's coffee stout, which I thought was very good. This beats it, easily. The strong coffee flavor blends well with the alcohol, malt, and barrel aging, to an OMG, this is good point. I wouldn't say it was extremely complex, and I scarcely seemed to notice any wood flavors, but they have made a just wonderful combo of coffee, malt, and alcohol. Letting it warm to 55F really opened-up the flavors.

Obviously, I want more; which is complicated by the rather limited distribution...

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

God I love finding underrated beers... It seems like in today's day and age, saturated with hipsters and where counter culture has become the norm, its popular to try to be unique or edgy or unnecessarily strange. See, beers like this that just have this... Classic, spot on, perfectly "no nonsense" taste to them... They get under appreciated by the more self aggrandizing masses. Huge tip of my hat to Hardywood on this one, they knocked it out of the park. My first beer of theirs but certainly won't be my last. Out of the 150+ coffee stouts I've had this is top 5ish for me. Top marks guys... Keep up the good work.

4.64/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bourbon really came through. Blended well with coffee. Great beer

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very deep brown with a decent size head. Smells of milk chocolate and French vanilla coffee. Taste opens up with a berry and dry coffee flavors and fades to a nice warming bourbon aftertaste with a slight hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel is slightly on the thin side but it doesn't take away from beer at all and the carbonation is on the softer side. Overall this is an amazing beer and I am very glad to have had the chance to try this. Thanks for the trade Joe.

4.59/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drank at a year plus old. Coffee was subdued, but overall was smooth and delicious.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.51/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh bottle from 2016 release

Look is mahogany with creamy tan head. Couple fingers on the pour that settle down to a thick tight-bubbled ring. Eventually disappears, no lacing.

Smell of bourbon booze up front with light notes of coffee and vanilla.

Taste is coffee forward, slightly bitter, dark chocolate flavors come in and then the bourbon finishes it off. Well balanced barrel aged stout, nothing too overwhelming and there's time to pick up and enjoy all of the layers.

Feel is excellent, full body, slightly oily. Not much carbonation.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this. Its my first beer from Hardywood and its really good. Its not Goose Island good, but it offers something different and more subtle.

Bourbon Sidamo Coffee Stout from Hardywood Park Craft Brewery