Weisse Versa Wheat | Karbach Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Weisse Versa WheatWeisse Versa Wheat

Karbach Brewing Co.
Texas, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

German Hefeweizen / Belgian Witbier hybrid, brewed with coriander and citrus peel.

Added by lnashsig on 09-04-2011

Reviews: 70 | Ratings: 430
4.99/5  rDev +27.3%

If I could, I would gargle with this stuff every night. The flowery banana head tickles my lips with bubbly ecstasy while the cool, refreshing golden nectar revitalizes my soul and baptizes my organs, washing away my sins.

4.84/5  rDev +23.5%

This offering from Karbach is definitely their highest quality and tastiest, imo. It's a cross between a witbier and a hefe, but overall, more like a hefe.

A--Cloudy and golden. Nice foamy and creamy white head with great retention.

S--Banana at the forefront, clove, light fruit, lemon, biscuit, coriander. The smell promises everything in the taste and does not disappoint.

T--This one is in my top 5--best wheat beer I've ever had. Perfect balance of tangy, citrusy hops blended expertly with banana and honey wheat malts. Sweetness comes in at the forefront but finishes cleanly and crisply. Totally refreshing, great session beer.

M--Luscious mouthfeel. Creamy and medium bodied with a balanced level of carbonation.

D--I could drink 20 of these, and I might.

Overall, I would say Karbach knocked it out of the park, and Eric Warner is to be commended. I am stoked to have such an excellent brewery in Houston--very much looking forward to seeing their beer in stores.

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a hazy golden orange with two fingers of bright white fluffy head.

The aroma is dominated by spicy notes of clove, banana and bubblegum. Very inviting.

The taste follows the nose. Spice/Clove forward with bubblegum undertones. Very nice banana finish. Very delicious!

Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Very easy drinking.

Overall this is my favorite Karbach offering and one of my latest go to beers. I would put this on par with Live Oak but without the hype. Maybe one day it will get up there on that level but it is a delicious hef either way.

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

Proud to be the first to enter a beer on Karbach's BA page, and proud to have this new Houston brewery situated less than 2 miles from my house in Houston. They have a great brewing Heritage from Brewmaster Eric Warner, and I expect them to be a staple in my fridge and in my cup from here on out.

Got my growler filled with this beer less than 4 hrs ago at Petrol Station in Houston. Poured from growler into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a cloudy, light orange/yellow color. Crazy head fills the glass immediately- its almost reminiscent of a saison/farmhouse ale in appearance. Great head retention, stays around forever. Smell- coriander, citrus peel (orange), lemon citrus, and definitely a yeasty, bready quality to the aroma. Just smells fantastic. Taste- first thing that hits the palate is the coriander spice, followed by that dry citrus peel. Excellent carbonation makes for a dry finish. There is definitely a breadiness on the palate too- yummy sweet breads- something you would imagine coming from the dough of a fresh baked cinnamon roll. Man- this is an amazing beer. So light, airy, refreshing. I'm upping my grade to a 5 on the taste and mouthfeel. This beer is nothing less than world class- I can't wait to have it available in cans shortly.

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Petrol Station Houston.

A- Hazy warm yellowish orange color poured with a decent 1 and half finger eggshell colored head. Looks very refreshing and inviting.

S- This thing smells great. Lots of wheat, hints of a sweet banana/ clove. Very fruity smelling but not tropical fruits or citrus typically associated with heavily hopped IPAs.

T- This thing tastes awesome. The smell transfers over to the taste greatly. Lots of wheat and refreshing light fruit flavor. A tad bit of hops balances everything things out. This beer finishes dry and is more flavorful than alot of it's euro counterparts.

M- Light, crisp and very quaffable. Plenty of carbonation. This beer has a perfect home here in the sweltering heat of Houston.

O- This is one of the best heffe/wit style beers I've had the pleasure of drinking. I think this beer is even superior to its Live Oak counterpart. Very proud this is made in my home town. I went back the very next day after trying it and got a growler fill.

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%

O- Very nice Hefeweizen! Smooth and frothy.

L- Golden and frothy.
S- fragrant with hints of citrus
T- Wonderful. Very light and refreshing. Nice blend of wheat and light hint of citrus.
F- medium feel. Not too light...not to heavy.

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

The Best wheat i have tried to date ,i would like a bottle though.Pours a hazy golden color with a huge white head that stands on the beer and doesn't quit. There's also an alka-seltzler amount of carbonation in the glass. Biscuity malt and grassy, herbal hop aroma. There's also some distant coriander and sweet anise type spice. The flavor is much more citrus and coriander flavor. The spice starts out and then fades a bit with the appearance of citrus hop, fruity esters and sweet candi sugar. The alcohol burn shows up in the finish which also has a lingering coriander spice. High carbonation give it a peppery feel. Somewhat light body

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Had on draft at Pappadeaux in Huston Airport

Appearance: cloudy orangish rust with thin white head and fair lacing

Smell: yeasty wheat with a bit of citrus

Taste: wheat beer flea our with a bit of spice finishes a smooth and is very refreshing citrus comes out in the backend

Mouthfeel: leaves a citrus like wetness in the mouth would be a good hot weather beer

Overall: nice merge of German yeast wheat beer and Belgian wit.
Really glad servers did not @uck it up with fruit.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

New brewery, first time trying anything from them. Hearty pour from a growler at the La Muerta bottle share. Thank you to the guy whose name I no longer remember for inviting me into the circle and offering me a taste of this fantastic brew.

This one hits all the notes. It’s like the hefe of my wildest expectations, moreso than most hefes I’ve had in memory. By that I mean it smells wonderful, with a full aroma of banana and cloves that carries over to the taste. It’s sweet, just right, and so flavorful I’m still thinking about it a day later. This is a good one and I’m eager to see more from these guys.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

On-tap at Flying Saucer/Houston

From Notes:
An orangy amber, I think it sat at the bar a little long, no head. A nice souriness aroma, follows through to the taste. Lots of fruitiness and citrus with the souriness. Very smooth with slight carbonation.

This really was an outstanding beer. Growlers of this will be worth their weight in gold. Can't wait for the cans to get pumped out.

4.46/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance 4.75
Aroma 4.25
Taste 4.5
Mouthfeel 4.5
Overall 4.5

Pours hazy golden color with this foamy head. Head retention and lacing are excellent. Aroma standard for Hefes - coriander, orange peel, German yeasts. Slightly citric malty taste up front, followed by a strong coriander bitterness. Great aftertaste. Definitely one of my favorite, readily available Hefes.

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Anvil

Appearance: Cloudy, pale golden straw. Good collar with some yeast. Good head retention. Light lacing.

Smell: Banana, clove, orange peal, and lemon peel dominate. apple, pear, coriander, hints of spice. Bubblegum! Lots of esters. SO GOOD. Witbier character more obvious over time.

Taste: This is the best of both worlds. The wheat shines through. It's bright and flavorful. Almost juicy. The smell and taste complement each other very well. Nice citrus and clove balanced by enough acidity and spice. Good hop balance. Very flavorful compared to hefeweizens and witbiers I've had.

Mouthfeel:
Very well carbonated. Light but enough body to make it a pleasurable drinking experience. Very drinkable.

Overall:
This is the best wheat beer I've ever had. Thanks to Karbach, I've got a new instant favorite. It's refreshing and flavorful. Highest recommendation.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

Full mouthfeel, big yeast bomb just like a proper hefeweizen. Categorically, I'd describe this as a hefe with some wit spices, and minus some malt heaviness. This beer seems very much Houston Summer Approved®

The spices merge nicely with the hefeweizen yeast, and it really works as a nice package. A little bit of hops on the end. Dry aftertaste on the back of your tongue.

Kudos to my hometown for rivaling the boys out in Austin with a truly stellar hefe. About damn time.

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not reviewing formally much these days but just got some Texas brews to try and this one is a winner. We here in California don't see these cans and this one was a treat.

Pours a cloudy light orange with a nice white head that quickly fades. Nose is great. Big full assertive esters. Lots of orange honey and tangerine with undertones of banana and light spice. All in all very pleasant and inviting.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and lightly carbonated. Feels very integrated and again welcoming - you want to drink it.

Flavor profile is what makes this. Tart orange, green herb tones, green fruit, light tangerine and most importantly it's all well balanced and very integrated. Lots of banana character but again, all fully integrated with the other flavors. I couldn't stop drinking it even though I've got four other beers here to taste! I'm not real familiar with Texas breweries and a friend sent a box. I'm going to explore more of Texas after this.

Finish is fresh, lightly orange peel bitter and sets you up for more. Nice all around.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apricot color capped by a head that doesn't quit; streaks o lace left behind

Smell: Banana and nutmeg; wheat bread underneath

Taste: Banana but bread, up front, with a nutmeg spice character developing by mid-palate; very nutty, after the swallow, with allspice in the finish

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, with a medium to full body and moderate carbonation

Overall: What is it with Texas and hefeweizens? First, Live Oak, and now this

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Beavers. I got to meet one of the Karback guys, always a good thing.

A: Pours a cloudy, hazed golden/orange. A towering two finger white head forms with good retention and lace. Looks spot on.
S: Orange peal right up front. Very juicy and slightly tart. Zesty spice with banana and light wheat aromas. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with huge juicy orange right up front that is awesome. Slightly tart fruits. Zesty spicy phenolics. Banana and wheat flavors. Baked bread. I love it.
M/D: A medium body that is very effervescent. Crisp, smooth and very clean. I can drink this all day. Really enjoyable.

One of the best wheat beers in Texas. Right up there with Live Oak Hefe. Since I have had this at Beaver's, this has been my go to in cans. Excellent, and highly recommended.

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This a high quality beer. A mix of a witbier and a Bavarian hefeweizen.

The appearance is a cloudy yellow colour.

Overtones of cloves and banana dominate the smell and taste of this beer. The flavour is exquisite.

The mouthfeel is excellent.

Overall this is a very interesting take on the hefeweizen/witbier styles. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Awesome on tap at Karbach, one of my original favorites from the company. Bright gold sticky lacing beer, citrus and coriander smell, and refreshing wheat ale taste. Little bit of a Belgian white kick to a Bavarian style hefe. Crossover between multiple styles lends itself pretty well in this instance. Not sure I'd choose a sixer of this stuff anymore, but I still appreciate & love the drank. Cheers

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - its a bwit beer...

Feel - light and refreshing

Smell - citrus

Taste - classic German wit, tangy on the front of the tongue, bitter finish.

Overall - I'll have another... Very good drinkable beer.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

This is billed as the best of barvian hefe (yeast) and belgian wit (corriander and orange peel). I've had a few over the course of my week in town and really enjoy it (I love both of the combined styles), especially in this 100+ F weather.
On draught at the Richmond Arms, Weisse Versa is a cloudy dark gold with a small, off-white collar leaving light, scattered lace.

Smell is massive hefe esters, heavy clove, banana.

Taste is also big esters. I didn't notice the wit adjuncts during the first few pints when I didn't know they were in there, and thought it was just a pure hefe. Now that I know, by searching, I can find some of the spicy bite from the coriander, but the flavor is really all esters - which is just fine by me!

Mouthfeel is dry (spices), and medium light bodied.

Drinkability is really good, especially given the climate. A full flavored hefe, unfiltered and unapologetic. I see so many domestic "hefes" that are just blonde ales with wheat, I'm glad to see their boldly embracing the flavor of the yeast. Well done, my favorite (local) beer of the trip.

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tried this out at the brewery the other day. Pours a hazy orangeish-yellow with a white head. Smells like a hefeweizen with a few citrus notes. It tastes a bit sweeter than a lot of wheat beers I have tried with banana, clove, and citrus flavors, all of which a fairly well balanced. Definitely a pretty interesting beer using hefeweizen yeast, flavored with witbier ingredients, and it did a good job

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can poured into pint glass.

A - Very hazy straw color with a finger and a half of white head that dissipates quickly

S - Banana, clove, yeast, and lemon are all apparent in the aroma

T - The taste closely follows the aroma, with banana, lemon, clove, wheat, and Belgian yeast being the predominant flavors. This is accompanied by some citrus fruity esters. A really nice balance in the flavors

M - A moderate body, pretty chewy for a hefeweizen, and moderate carbonation

O - This is a great balanced American hefe with a Belgian twist. It's easy drinking and is quite complex. Good job Karbach

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%

Got this as an extra from Daniel and what a pleasant surprise! (Thanks!)

A: This beer looks delicious. Light orange color with two finger head, good amount of lacing. Cloudy

S: Orange, yeast, lemon, some spice

T: Banana, orange, yeasty taste, followed by some breadiness, finishes with a bit of sweetness as well as bitterness. Maybe it's due to the aftertaste, but I walk away feeling that this American version of Hefeweizen is sweeter and bitterer than your typical German Hefeweizen. I don't mind ther bitterness (as it's not that bitter - just comparively bitter), but I wish it was a tad bit less sweet.

M: It's perfect. Good amount of carbonation, medium body.

O: Way way better than I had expected. Plus, I have to add that this is the only hefeweizen that I had that came in a can. I thought this one was up there with Live Oak Hefeweizen. In fact, this one tasted and smelled closer to German Hefeweizen (with spices). Another good brew from Texas.

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Another beer from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by bananas, some spice. Taste is good, banana, spice, wheat, easy drinking and refreshing. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall makes a great summer beer.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A cloudy golden wheat beer with big taste. Hits banana and cloves notes. I could even catch a little lemon zest and bubble gum. Full flavored, I could drink this all night and be completely content. Drinkability is off the charts. Karbach's best offering so far.

Weisse Versa Wheat from Karbach Brewing Co.