Sympathy For The Lager | Karbach Brewing Co.

good

Added by champ103 on 09-29-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 47 | Ratings: 303
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A: probably took a bit too long in getting to this beer but it pours a cloudy orange with a small dense white head that is quick to fade into a footed Pokal
S: smells intensely malty and of floral hops
T: slight floral hop bitterness and a light maltyness and slight residual sugar sweetness. swallow is more floral hops with a bit of spicy hop as well and a bit more malty flavor
M: soft and slightly prickly carb with a fairly light mouthfeel, slightly drying finish
O: not bad. something different but the color wasn't what I was expecting but that might have been my fault. Even though it might be a bit off the mark I like it better than some other Euro Pale Lagers.

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pale light coppery color, thick fluffy white head and loads of lace. Aroma was mild, but, theres crackers and biscuits, light sweetness, and a touch of crassly hops. Taste is much better. Sweet bready notes, biscuits, tinge of caramel sweetness, grassy floral hop notes with the slightest of bitterness. Light bodied, good crisp carbonation, and a refreshing lager. Great lawn owner beer.

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%

16 oz. on-tap poured into pint at the Hay Merchant in Houston (great place!)

L: very dark gold; not a ton of lacing; strange ... it's much darker than a standard lager (Euro pale lager on here ... at the Hay Merchant, I think they list it as a "Helles")

S: light, weak, sweet

T: light but with good bitter hops up front. it wants to smooth out like an ale but doesn't ... and it shouldn't. it's a lager, right?

F: real mouthful for a lager; say what you want, this is not water.

O: not bad at all; probably a great session beer. and i might be over-rating it a tick or two, but it really impressed me for a lager (not an overly expensive one, either)

Karbach is doing things. I saw it on tap all over Houston this past weekend.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a clean golden/orange pour with 2 fingers of detergent-like head. smells of orange, lemongrass, lager yeast, bread. slightly hoppy bitterness up front, then it goes staight to the sweet malty typical lager flavor.. finished off by more earthy bittering notes. one of the hoppiest lagers i've had.... the name suits it well. medium-light body with modest amount of carbonation. sticky on the lips. a great lager.. not one of the best offerings from the brewer, but hey, this is a great gateway beer if you ask me!

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I only got to try 5oz of this beer as it came as part of a flight of 5 Texas beers for $10. Served on tap at the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium in downtown Houston, Texas.

The beer poured a nice golden/yellow color with a 1 finger white head. Retentuion was short lived, but lacing was decent.

Biscuity malt and noble hop aroma.

Biscuity malr flavor with a touch of honey-like sweetness. Hop bitterness is mild, but noticeable. Very well balanced.

Medium bodied with medium high carbonation.

A cut above most standard lagers.

1.86/5  rDev -48.2%

On tap at the brewery. Clear gold in color with some white head.

Flavor profile is butter and biscuit malts. Some bittering hops, but mainly bready type malts. I couldn't drink a lot of this. It was just a really bad lager. I like the other stuff they make, but this I couldn't handle.

3.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I had this awhile back and didn't care for it. Revisiting 5/21/15 and had to come change my rating. Not sure if the recipe changed or my taste did but this beer is pretty solid.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can poured into a pilsner glass.

A: pours nice crisp, clear golden straw color. certainly a deeper hue/color than light lagers. pours with a beautiful thick head, which remains nicely atop the beer. good retention and lacing.

S: lots of malt sweetness with some light fruits. think apples and pears.

T: crisp and delicious. initially a decent taste of the noble hops, but this doesnt last long before giving way to some light fruits (think, apple and pear, maybe?) this then quickly gives way to a nice heavy malt sweetness. malt sweetness lingers on the finish.

M: good mouthfeel. nicely carbonated.

O: a beer that attempts to restore the good name of lagers. I'm not typically a huge lager fan, but this is pretty good.

1.12/5  rDev -68.8%

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon Karbach's in Houston and was interested, and I like supporting local brewers. I thought it was interesting how they canned everything whereas many "craft" brewers forego canning altogether. I thought, "Cool, I'll have to try them some time", and went about my day.

A week or so later, I noticed they were being sold at Kroger. Excited to try this new brand out, I grabbed a canned 6-back of Sympathy for the Lager. I like lighter beers, so I went for that one. And this is what happened...

I generally don't believe in reviewing color or head. Those attributes can be indicative of certain things but have ZERO bearing on how good a beer is. I drank this straight out of the can.

My first impression was: Utter Crap. I was thirsty, it was chilled - straight from the store. It tasted like what I imagine the bottom of my shoe tastes like. It's really not fair to judge from one mouthful, so I perservered and finished the can. Nope - nothing changed. Ok, one beer isn't enough to throw everything out. So, I had a total of four beers that evening - and they were all the same. I taste no hopps. I taste nothing like malted anything. And the AFTERTASTE... The bland, bitter taste is really indescribable. Karbach says they were going for an "authentic" recipe. God save the Czechs/Germans if this is what a genuine Pilsner or any other lager tastes like...

So, I had two beers left and brought them to my work buddies. I didn't want them to expect perfection, so I said, "I didn't go for this beer - tell me what you think". And they poured a can into glasses and proceded with caution... Now, you have to understand, all four of us are home-brewers. We all know what decent beer should taste like - whatever the style. None of them even finished their glasses. One of them almost spit it out without swallowing! (...that's what she said...)

This beer tasted like everything that is horrible and communist about American beer - only amplified with the flavor of the open road. Amazing. Schlitz is better than this.

I am willing to accept that this could have been just a bad batch, but it's not like I didn't give it a fair shake. A literal BAD batch of beer is infected and undrinkable. I have no reason to believe that what I had was not the intended final product.

Houston - cut me off into space, I'm not coming back. I'll say "Hi" to Voyager for you...

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Very foamy mid yellow bodied lager. Nothing interesting in aroma department. Mid mouth feel, decent drinkability despite slight acidic edge in finish. Always giving a lager an even break. Decent malting, not sweet, some spiciness. Not bad, and Vienna is a style I can like.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another of a seemingly endless supply of canned beers from woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light brownish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet and malty. Taste is malts, grains, some hops at the finish, sweetness from the smell is missing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Another Texas beer got in what seems to be an unending trade with Tofuspeedstar, Thanks again!

A - wow, beautiful golden evening sun yellow and orange, large crisply white foamy head, looks very nice in the glass

S - huge lager aroma with a bit extra heartiness to it, an almost sourdough biscuit smell to it. *Initially thought it was just a lager, after seeing its 'style' classification here it seems to match it well*

T - huge biscuity malt taste throughout, it is intermingled with a bit of bitter sweetness that I've noticed more so with beers that use honey malt, almost a sour lactic sweetness but not quite, its highly prevalent in the aftertaste but still intriguing and enjoyable

O - this was quite a surprise, I had asked for it because I've been looking for a good Lager and was not dissapointed, this is a tasty beer with a degree of complexity I was not initially expecting. Kudos to Karbach you're doing the style and state of Texas proud!

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Today has officially been designated as New CANned Beer Sunday in order to jumpstart the long-dormant CANQuest (TM) which stalled for a number of reasons. Big Thanks and Major Ups to the wonderful JenRay for sending Karbach CANs along from Houston! And now, we CANtinue with today's programming, already in progress ...

From the CAN: "[Proudly] Brewed in Texas";
"Lagerhythm [-]
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a beer of damn fine taste
I've been around for a long, long time
But many brewers ruined my name
I've watched now for several decades
As my character's been disgraced
But now the boys down on Karbach Street [Aha!]
Have made me first rate
Full of fine malt and German hops
My taste is both fine and bold
And though my flavor always stands out
I'm best enjoyed cold
So if you meet me have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, enjoy my taste ..."

From Karbach Street to Chez Woody, I began with a standard Crack, followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in cascading action at the juncture between liquid and foam. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The tawny head was massive and lasting and resembled the top of an ice cream cone. Nose was pleasantly malty and sweet and I am OK with that, especially in a lager, following so many AAL clunkers on The CANQuest (TM) to date. Mouthfeel was medium and the grassy Saaz hops were immediately obvious on the tongue. Finish was dry and moderately bitter and I CAN get behind this! I would take this to the beach or put it in my cooler for Hula in the Coola Day (01 February, annually). Houston, I have no problem with this beer! Bravo to all involved.

1343rd Review on BA
Can to Pint
12oz

Thanks to Lnashsig for this one

App- Golden and yellow throughout. Top falling dark to light with a two finger puffy head. Some nice cling and stick. Nice coloring

Smell- Very earthy, a bit of dirt, some bitter mixed in with a bit of that lager yeast note. Smells more like a vienna to me. Semi rich malts.

Taste- Much like the nose, many aromas translate to flavors. Semi-malty with a semi-bitter flavor and a good dose of that lager butter flavor.

Mouth- A lighter medium body with a good light medium carbonation. Very earthy and a touch bitter with solid butter and wheat flavors.

Drink- One of the better lagers. Still cant get into the style.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Great golden color and thick, creamy white head.

Classic lager aroma: light, biscuit-like malt with an subtle, earthy hop aroma.

Light and refreshing in taste and mouthfeel. Slightly citrusy. Biscuit notes confirm the aroma hints. Slight caramel notes. Slight sharp hop bitterness that smooths out with the malt sweetness at the end. Finishes clean and dry. Rather effervescent with the carbonation, creating a smoothness in the mouth.

A fine, tasty lager. Very easy drinking with noticeable yet well-balanced lager flavorings throughout.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz can into Red Oak becker.

Pours a clear golden yellow with a good sized fluffy white head. Smell is some lager yeast and sweet malt, hint of floral malt. Taste is malty (caramel?) with floral hops and a clean bitter finish. There is a sulfur taste as well that I am not crazy about. Body is medium weight and fairly high carb.

This is actually quite pretty for a lager. Overall a very solid all malt lager, perhaps a bit sharp and somewhat pilsner-like. Good amount of taste. Goes amazingly well with soft pretzels and good mustard.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz can pours a very clear, medium gold color with a creamy cap of white head. Nice retention and lacing. Good looking brew.

Nose is sulfurous lager yeast and floral hops. Little bit of a sweet biscuity malt background.

Smooth graininess with a pretty big punch of hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is surprisingly full and rich for this type of lager. Id actually place it more in the American Pale Lager category or maybe a helles as opposed to an Amber/Red lager. There is nothing amber or red about it. Whatever you call it, it is damn tasty. I’ll be buying this one again, for sure.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

A--Apricot-colored, pale orange and clean looking. Pours about an inch of head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving behind layers on the glass.
S--Wheat, red apples, cinnamon, musky malts, maybe pear, virtually no hops in the smell. Not particularly strong.
T--Malts are up front, but not long lived. I get the same cinnamon apple from the smell, and some light honey and caramel notes. Floral hops dominate and linger on the palate. Sort of a bitter, sulfur aftertaste.
M--A bit thicker than medium bodied. Carbonation is high, maybe a little too high for my liking.
D--I could see myself going for another one, but this wouldn't be a session beer for me.

Overall, the hubby and I like it and appreciate it for how big it is for the style. A full flavored, complex lager worth trying. Karbach Brewing Co. continues to impress.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Onion Creek in Houston.

The beer pours an orange-yellow color with a white head. The aroma is extremely malty with quite a bit of toffee malt, as well as some light caramel notes. There is not much, if any, hop or alcohol character in the aroma.

The flavor is also very malty. There is a ton of toffee and caramel malt, as well as the resulting sweetness. There is also a little bit of earth character from the hops, but this is still all about the malt.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Small 32oz growler, acquired day of drinking from DnQ in Houston, poured into pint glass, careful pour. pours clear amber with a full inch head, fades quick to just edge lacing. not much visible carbonation. Smells of citrus(orange) and coriander, very "pale" traditional aroma. slight bread-y (yeast and grain) odor.
Flavors are very floral, yeast, light hoppyness, amber, wheat "bockiness" is strong. definitely a lager, not a huge fan of the style, but this is pretty drinkable. Aromas and flavors don't appear to match however.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at hobbit cafe.

A- dark amber with Orange highlights. Nice color for a lager!

S- not much to speak of. A bit more hops and malt than a usual lager but overall muted.

T- a clean full flavor lager. Bittering hops and sweet bisciuty malts take front seat. Kind of reminds me of a hoppy marzen.

M- average for the style.

O-one of the most flavorful lagers I've had yet. Well done

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Queen Vic in Houston, TX.

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A two finger light beige head forms with good retention. Some sticky lace is left behind.
S: Toasted and dry malts are up front, which quickly fades to sweet caramel. Hops come in towards the end, and dominate the finish. Lingering grapefruit bitterness.
T: Follows the nose. Toasted malts, bread and biscuit at first. Though plenty of caramel sweetness as well. A sharp bitterness lingers.
M/D: A light to medium body. Good carbonation and crisp. Easy and quaffable beer to drink.

Very enjoyable, and a nice addition to the Houston beer scene. I will continue to drink this again, but I think there are better lagers made in Texas. Karbach blew me away with their first release. Not so much with the others. Still very enjoyable and worth a try.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Sympathy For The Lager from Karbach Brewing Co.