Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Karbachtoberfest | Karbach Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 146
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.26/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Have I mentioned what a great CANtrader the mighty JenRay is? She has sent me so many TexiCANs that I CAN hardly keep up! Case in point is this one, which awaited picture approval and then rotation in the pipeline here at CANQuest Central (TM).

From the CAN: "Brewed in Texas"; "It's still summer."; "Oompah! Every year in Munich a litle party is thrown. If you've ever been, there are some things you may or may not remember: Lederhosen envy, oompah music, dirndls, and rolling down the hill. One thing you surely haven't forgotten is the extremely quaffable beer. While you may not be able to attend Oktoberfest this year, you [CAN] experience the world's biggest beer fest right here with Karbachtoberfest. An authentic, Bavarian-style Marzen, decoction mashed with Vienna and Munich malts, cold fermented and aged for six weeks, this beer pairs well with pretzels and sausage, but it tastes mighty fine on its own. Eins, Zwei, G'suffa!"

I heard a tuba instead of a Crack! upon opening this one, so I must be at the right place, albeit wrong time. Der fraulein nodded her assent to an inverted Glug and so things began. The pseudo-cascade led to two fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head with not only good retention, but it looked like the top of an ice cream cone. The unending barrage of bubbles made it look like a lava lamp had been plugged in. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and of course, the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Croesus and Midas suddenly appeared, each slavering like the wild dogs that they are. Nose had a honey-like sweetness along with a biscuity quality and pretzel in hand (no joke), I was ready for my first sip. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, thanks in large part to its intense carbonation. Speaking of intense, the honey flavor was just that! It was not sweet, per se, but it really tasted highly of honey, which I do not remember from the style. Frankly, I had girded myself for a malt bomb, which is what I remember, mistakenly or no. This was really good and it meshed nicely with my pretzel. I kid you not. Here in south-central PA, if you are a native, you always have a bag of pretzels on-hand at all times. Finish was semi-sweet, but that was just fine with me. Definitely worth looking for at the appropriate time of the year.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a mason jar. Hazy, amber color with a thin head that recedes rapidly leaving no lacing. Aroma of sour dough bread and hops. Taste of roasted malt, toffee, and spicy hops with a crisp, slightly dry finish. Medium carbonation and medium-light body with no aftertaste.
I like this Oktoberfest. Other reviews call it terrible, but it is pretty good every time I've had it. I buy a 6er of it every September and will continue to pick it up while it's convenient.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.8/5  rDev +5%

2.68/5  rDev -26%

2.11/5  rDev -41.7%

Pours out to a half inch head and no lacing. Color is a deep gold hue that seems too light for style. Aroma is cheap sulfury macro lager, veggies, cooked pasta and toasted grains. Flavor is harsh and frustrating. There seems to be no focus but sulfur, grain sweetness and a harsh, unappetizing bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, which I describe the way canned Coke versus bottled coke feels (don't tell me aluminum cans don't affect craft beer!). There's something about the way it coats my tongue and makes my teeth feel chalky that's just wrong. This is not worthy of being called a Marzen/O-fest. Pass. I'd rather have a PBR than whatever this is. Obviously something went wrong. I can't imagine they seriously thought this batch was worthy.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Not the best Octoberfest I've had. I usually enjoy Karbarch, but I think they've missed the mark on this one. This was missing the full flavor of an Octoberfest.

1.74/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Pours out a golden orange with a thin head. Weird vegetal/burnt hair aroma. It overwhelms everything. I get some of that aroma in the taste as well. Very grainy. Like a macro brew. Scratch that, I've had better macro brews than this. Mouthfeel is a bit prickly and thin. This beer is awful. It's to oktoberfest as Love Street is to kolsch. A joke. I can't believe that the brewmaster studied brewing in Germany. Sympathy and Weisse Versa are excellent German style brews, but this misses the mark totally. I can't believe he let this leave the brewhouse (same opinion of Love Street). I have never drunk an oktoberfest worse than this one.

Karbachtoberfest from Karbach Brewing Co.