Krunkin Pumpkin | Karbach Brewing Co.

good

Availability: Fall

Added by twiggamortis420 on 10-10-2012

Reviews by TxUltraRunner:

2.3/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Pours out a dark brown with a thick tan head at first. Smells of toast and spices. No Belgian yeast to speak of. Smells a bit boozy. No Belgian yeast in the flavor either. Not much pumpkin either. Slight spices. Lots of sweetness. Obvious toasty malts. I get a graininess that's becoming a signature flavor profile of Karbach. Mouthfeel is decent but could have more smoothness. Not really into this.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

22 oz bomber pours a very clear, deep copper color with a blooming tan head. Fades at an average pace and leaves some nice sheets of lace. Pretty good looking brew...

Nose actually lets the Belgian yeast out to play beyond the typical pumpkin pie spices. Malts have a grainy caramel thing going on in the background and it has a rock-candy-esque sweetness.

Taste is interesting...I am really happy the yeast is as prevalent as it is. The malts are dark, yet not overly bold. A toasty aspect comes out along with some tootsie-roll chocolate. It is kind of like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale with a subtle spice presence, not unlike many BSDA's really. The pumpkin adds a bit of gourdy-ness but does not really give it a whole lot of flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk, something Karbach does well. I cant really tell what the ABV is, but if I had to guess…maybe 8.5 or 9? I really like this beer, I wish it was easier to get, there was a limit of 1 at Spec's and was a bitch to hunt down..

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Admittedly, I have a love/hate relationship with pumpkin ales. I love to try new ones every year, but I'm always slightly disappointed in what I try. It's personal, I know. But I do love seeing them on the shelves because it means the end of a long hot summer (in theory, at least, for Texans) and the beginning of autumn. It's the same way I fell about most seasonal beers. It certainly helps pass the time.

This beer is beautiful. All the colors of a proper New England fall foliage. Deep mahogany, oranges, browns and reddish hues. Just a really pretty beer. The nose is a sightly different story. My wife suggested it has a distinct winter squash and nutmeg scent to it, but I detected a noticeable presence of melocreme pumpkin sweetness here. Not my favorite aroma, but par for the course, I guess, for most pumpkin beers. The taste is not bad, however. Heavy malty sweetness with pumpkin, nutmeg and a hint of clove. Not bad, but again, probably just not my cup of tea. Mouthfeel is crisp up front, but becomes smooth and chewy as the beer warms to room temperature.

On the whole, this is not a bad beer, and a decent example of the style. I may not be a fan of pumpkin beers, but I'll keep trying 2-3 every year just to keep up. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.72/5  rDev +27.9%

Very limited release and distribution. Packaged only in kegs and 22oz bombers, and poured into my 1 liter Hofbrau stein.

Apperance: Pours a gorgeous ruby color that I've never really seen before. 1 inch foam head dissipates to a thin layer.

Smell: Pumpkin spices (i.e. cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, allspice). A very fruity essence.

Taste: Vanilla. All the spices listed above. Pumpkin flavor is implied in the taste.

Mouthfeel: high end on a low scale of carbonation. Very wet, chewy, and smooth, satisfying finish. Medium-bodied, but full flavored.

Overall: Me gustaaa. But could use a medium-high level of carbonation to match the body of the beer, as it is currently too light in my own opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.36/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is the best pumpkin ale I've had by far. It's from a great local Houston brewery. The taste is like a dark ale of sorts. The pumpkin adds a touch of bitterness that alloys makes this a stout in feeling yet an ale in taste. The head doesn't last long when poured into a glass but it still continues to fizz for a while. Overall I would recommend this and I would buy again.

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Krunkin Pumpkin from Karbach Brewing Co.