Bodacious | Karbach Brewing Co.

BodaciousBodacious
Liked This Beer
4.09 w/ 110 ratings
BodaciousBodacious

Karbach Brewing Co.
Texas, United States
karbachbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Rodeo Clown Double IPA aged in red wine barrels.

Added by superspak on 01-02-2013

Liked:
4.09/5
Alströms:

1.25/5  rDev -69.4%

2.47/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

32oz clear Growler Room screw-top grumbler acquired and filled at The Growler Room in Austin, TX. Reviewed in my flat a couple days later. Expectations are below average; I don't gush over Karbach and the employees filling my grumbler said this isn't a great beer. That, and I've yet to have a barrel aged imperial IPA that was any good. Served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. 10% ABV.

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with extra vigor as carbonation issues are anticipated; it's a grumbler, after all.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one-finger wide head of white-khaki colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. No real lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes, but it does have some spotty "legs" I guess. Retention isn't bad considering the ABV and that this is a grumbler pour - about 2-3 minutes. You could do far worse.

Body colour is a translucent semitransparent copper with amber hues. Average vibrance. It's a less appealing copper than what you see in most imperial IPAs. No floating yeast particles or hop sediment is visible; it's a clean appearance. But it's far from unique or special, and already seems below average.

Sm: Herbal hop notes, raw barrel/wood notes, floral hop character, and hints of murky dirty grapefruit comprise the hop profile. The hop character overall feels stale and faded, and the citrus isn't the clean crisp kind of citrus I love in an IPA. It's rindy and boozy. This beer also comes off too sweet in spite of its 85 IBUs, with plenty of caramalt, munich malt, and pale malts. Though I actively search for Merlot character, I find none. It's lightly bready, too.

Not a great aroma for an imperial IPA by any means, and judging by the aromatics, the barrel aging has imparted nothing - not surprising given it was aged a mere 5 months.

An inoffensive aroma of above average strength. I can't say I'm excited for the first sip.

T: Has a weird sickly sweetness to it, inclusive of syrupy candi sugar notes, pale malts, overdone caramalt, and Munich malts. Hopwise, we're talking primarily herbal and floral hop character - which feels very generic, as well as hints of pine, some dashes of dirty murky grapefruit, and some mild grassy character. I'm really not enjoying this hop profile all that much, and I question their choices of ingredients strongly. No yeast character comes through. It comes off boozy and maltier than it should. And as for the merlot/barrel notes? No wine, but I do get a generic wood tone - which adds nothing of substance. The barrel aging seems like both a marketing gimmick and like a colossal waste of everyone's time.

Imbalanced. This build lacks sufficient cohesion and focus. Not a gestalt flavour profile by any means. It's just a murky sloppily brewed beer with no clear direction. Lacks intricacy, subtlety, complexity, and nuance. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. I don't like it all that much, and I'm a bit bummed I sprung for the $15 32 oz grumbler.

Mf: Smooth, wet, syrupy. Sticky. Warm and boozy. Maybe even a bit gushed? It's definitely overcarbonated - which is a bit surprising given this is a review for a grumbler pour.

Not oily, astringent, or harsh.

Overall, this texture offers nothing special to coax out more nuances from the flavour profile, and isn't a great fit for the style. Subpar execution.

Dr: I've never understood the growing fixation on barrel-aging imperial IPAs, and this beer doesn't offer a cogent case for why it's a good idea - nor has any barrel aged imperial IPA I can remember drinking. There're no wine notes here, and the base beer wasn't great to start with. This will disappoint discerning drinkers of imperial IPAs and barrel aged beers alike. I'd caution friends and trade partners from pursuing it. Just not a very good beer all around, and its unreasonable price point makes it even less appealing. I won't be buying this again, but it's not undrinkable.

Really disappointing.

High D+

3.29/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

Having had to pass up on this when it was originally released (I forgot my wallet) I was really excited to try this out for the first time now that it has been re-released. This was opened from a 22 oz bomber directly from the fridge and poured in to a large snifter. Initial pout was probably 6 oz so that I could try it and let it warm up a little fast with less volume.

A - Really nice, almost rosy color has taken over the usually strong amber color that Rodeo Clown usually has.

S - Strong smell of red wine that has overpowered the typically strong malt and hop aroma that a Rodeo Clown typically exhibits. Very nice. Getting excited about this beer.

T - This is where it heads downhill. If I blind test tasted this I would never guess that the base of this beer is a Rodeo Clown, much less a double IPA. Most of the hop and malt flavor has been mellowed out by the barrel aging. The merlot and oak come through nicely on the front but it does not finish strong. I was expecting the red wine and hops on the front with the malty back bone that Rodeo Clown has to finish it out. Very mellow.

M - Again the barrel aging has really changed the base of this beer. Where with Clown Lounge you new instantly that you were sipping on a big bodied double IPA, the body of Bodacious is much thinner. Leaves me wanting.

Overall I am very happy to have tried this and have an extra bottle in my cabinet that I will save for bottleshare or trade. I do not see myself grabbing this bottle on my own in the future.

3.54/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to mrbubbler for sharing this one at his tasting.

2014 vintage. F.U.N. Series 010.

Pours a murky dark honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit, citrus zest, red wine, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest, red wine, and wood flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop and wood bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with solid red wine barrel aged qualities all around.

Serving type: bottle.

3.74/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Off white head. Lots of lace. Walls. Color is a clear copper.

Flavor profile: a lot of grapes, tannins, and wine flavors. Very floral and herbal. Grapefruit and citrus. Hop resiny. Caramel malts. A bit of booze as it warms.

Mouthfeel: sticky and bitter. Medium to full bodied. Ends sticky.

Overall, another fun beer from karbach. Hops still present which I really enjoyed. I liked the wine flavors.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -7.3%

On tap at Hay Merchant in Houston, TX

A: Pours a brick red color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: Fairly neutral at first. Though as this warms much more comes out. Grassy, citrus hops at first. Then the very interesting malt base that has always been Rodeo Clown. Some burnt malt, with caramel and toffee. A vinous character takes over, and builds as this warms. Very interesting as this warms.
T: Follows the nose. Much more complexities come out as this warms. Citrus, floral, grassy hops. Caramel and toasted malts. The wine character comes next. Vinous and sweet at the same time. Though an interesting bitterness continues to build as this warms.
M/D: A medium to full body. Slightly vinous and vinegary. Moderate carbonation. Something to sip on, but an easy sipper on that point. Still hard to have more than one in a sitting.

Very interesting. I do enjoy it, and will continues to grab some when the occasion calls. Though not like BBA Hellfighter or many of their others that are a must try.

Bodacious from Karbach Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 83.6% out of 100 with 110 ratings