Hop Delusion

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Hop DelusionHop Delusion
Notes: You are in a state of full Hop Delusion, but you knew what you signed up for when you popped this bottle. You knew that it had over 100 IBUs of hop bitterness and that it was dry hopped with insane amounts of Simcoe and Mosaic hops, but you chose to drink it anyway. It's difficult to say if you will ever snap out of it, for you have been smitten with the disorder that many can never overcome.
Reviews: 66 | Ratings: 421 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by lookrider:
4.08/5  rDev -4%

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: Burnt orange in color with a head that foams up quickly and creates two fingers of off-white foam. The head immediately begins to recede, but at a very slow pace, leaving some part of the head intact for nearly two minutes.

SMELL: Gorgeous, big, floral, fruity aroma here. Mango, orange, lemon, maybe a hint of grapefruit, this smells juicy and vibrant.

TASTE: Just as big and juicy as the nose would suggest. It is a little sweeter than I expected, but the huge hop flavors (grapefruit, lemon, orange, hint of spice and a bit of pine) help to balance it out. Despite the sweetness up front and towards the middle, the back and provides a nice, bitter snap. There is a boatload of malt in the Hop Delusion, but enough hops to keep almost any hop head satisfied.

MOUTHFEEL: Sticky and resinous, sweet in the beginning with a slightly drying bite at the end. The body is medium, but might lean just barely on the bigger side with that big, malty backbone. The light sparkle stays consistent throughout the whole beer, something that is not always the case. The mouthfeel is very lively.

OVERALL: I’ve had quite a few Karbach beers and I have to say that this may be the best I’ve had so far. A very aggressive, beautifully put together melding of hops and malt with just the right touch of carbonation to bring it all together. A fantastic beer.

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Very slight hop aroma and flavor here. This is definitely a hop delusion on Karbach's part, since this is a total malt bomb, like almost every other Texas brewed double IPA.

I can only assume the good reviews are TX homerism.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer. I'm a decent fan just because I support local breweries, but this hits the spot with my palate. I'm s home brewer myself and can instantly pick out the mosaic and simcoe. I just wanna say, great job Karbach, another great offering.

4.66/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first review. This beer made me submit a review after being a long time lurker/user of the info here.

First of all, I got this in my growler earlier today from Whole Foods. People that don't bother putting whether they are drinking from a keg, bottle, or can should not bother posting here because that makes too much difference to overlook.

This is my favorite beer I have had in Texas. Grapefruit and persimmon, maybe tangerine, all on top of a nice piney background. the malt is there, but, it's just underneath it all - a really good balance.

The smell is the same as the taste. The mouthfeel is a little syrupy but smooth enough and the perfect amount of carbonation with it. I don't know why there is a rating for appearing - idgaf about that and you should too!

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In my opinion this might be the best IPA/DIPA Houston has to offer. (Note:Magnolia isn't Houston) Tons of citrusy/tropical fruity dankness. The mouthfeel is heavy and rich. If only I could convince Karbach to keep making this year round instead of rodeo clown.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours an amber color with a very thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are excellent. Nice fresh, citrus, piney aroma. Hints of malty caramel as well. Great malt to hop transition. Taste biscuits, resin, caramel and slight citrus. Moderately astringent at the end. Medium bodied and low carbonation. Very good beer for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1.45/5  rDev -65.9%

22 oz bomber poured into a goblet.
Pours brownish yellow with thick off white head. Substantial lacing.
Orange peel and grass in the nose.
Very imbalanced. There is a strong hop presence here but I question the proportions. The malt presence is subdued but there is an off-putting sweetness. I get some bitter grapefruit pith and alka seltzer.
This beer set my teeth on edge. I could not finish it. Overpriced. I am glad that Karbach is bucking the Texas brewery tendency to put out Kolsch and Hefe-Weizens, but I think they need to rework this one and Rodeo Clown. Lacking subtlety and drinkability.

Hop Delusion from Karbach Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94 out of 100 with 421 ratings