Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Delusion | Karbach Brewing Co.

Hop DelusionHop Delusion
4.24/5
Exceptional
Hop DelusionHop Delusion

Karbach Brewing Co.
Texas, United States
karbachbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

You are in a state of full Hop Delusion, but you knew what you signed up for when you popped this bottle. You knew that it had over 100 IBUs of hop bitterness and that it was dry hopped with insane amounts of Simcoe and Mosaic hops, but you chose to drink it anyway. It's difficult to say if you will ever snap out of it, for you have been smitten with the disorder that many can never overcome.

Added by champ103 on 03-15-2013

3.71/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty but quite hop forward.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed live 08/31/13.

1 litre swingtop Eagle Rock growler filled at the Growler Station in Austin, Texas, earlier today, and served into a Spaten stangekrug in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Cost was $9.50 USD. Expectations are through the roof given its current ratings.

Served cold, straight from me freezer. Side-poured with extra vigor as slight carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a four finger wide head of beige colour. Nice creaminess and thickness. Supple complexion. Nice scattershot lacing as the head slowly recedes. Head retention is great for the ABV – ~10+ minutes. Fluffy and appealing.

Body colour is a clear copper-gold of above average vibrance. Translucent/transparent. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it’s definitely within style conventions and looks pretty good for the style, but the appearance is far from unique or special. The head retention is a highlight.

Sm: Fairly pungent. I could smell it as soon as I poured it.

Juicy citrusy fresh hop character. Grapefruit esters. Orange. Mango. Slightly herbal, though not so much so that I’d call it “dank.” Generic floral hop character. Nectary hop character. Light oily hops. Resinous. Light pine. The hop bitterness emerges as a scratchy rough dry feel in the aroma, but the juicy aspect keeps it refreshing.

On the malty end, there’s your usual pale malt build with a dash of caramalt – but seemingly not too much. There might be some pils/munich malts thrown in; it’s difficult to discern based on the aroma alone.

There’s more going on here too. A buried hint of lime. I’m a bit concerned by a buried light candi sweetness – a characteristic that can ruin an imperial IPA. It’s certainly on the sweeter end of the bitter/sweet spectrum; hopefully this means any hop bitterness is well balanced by malts.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

A multifaceted aroma that suggests quality, but really it could go either way. The candi sweetness and inclusion of obvious caramalt makes me a little hesitant. Inoffensive and of moderate strength.

T: Tame bursts of mango and grapefruit hop character are dominant insofar as hops are concerned. Some melon. Vague tropical fruit notes come through; luckily any pineapple is minimal. There’s a bit of floral and nectary character swimming around in there too, but it never amounts to much. It’s surprisingly malty, with too much caramalt and a candied sweetness undermining the balance; the hops should be dominant with the malts supporting but not intruding, and that simply isn’t the case here. A bit resinous. No hop bitterness comes through, but I’d honestly take that over the overdone sweetness. Pale malts comprise the bulk of the foundation. Overall, the balance is off but forgivable. I’m not convinced the choices of hops here were particularly motivated toward one direction or focus; it’s certainly not a gestalt or particularly cohesive beer. Amplitude is about average.

No yeast character comes through. There’s a hint of alcohol warmth; I’d guess this was around 8-9% if I tried it blind.

Depth of flavour is shockingly shallow for a beer in this style (and for a beer as currently highly rated as this). Flavour duration and intensity are both merely average.

I don’t pick up any off-flavours. I'm not getting any onion or garlic.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A biteen overcarbonated (and this from a growler fill…). Lightly oily. Not gushed, hot, or boozy, but as aforementioned there is some warmth. Okay thickness and body; it really lacks a full wholesome feel, which brings it down significantly for me. It does have something of a weak, reticent presence on the palate; it’s certainly not as open as it could be, nor do I think the texture is ideal for full delivery of the flavour profile. It suits the flavour profile generally, but it’s far from coming off custom-tailored to it.

Dr: The cynic in me wants to suggest that locals are rating this highly – either because of a lack of experience with the best in the style or excitement over having an imperial IPA with decent balance available close by. However:

It’s my understanding that the gentlemen at The Growler Room drive to Houston to pick up kegs to bring back to sell, and that they may sit on Karbach kegs before tapping them for fills. Maybe this is a couple months old; I can’t disregard the current 95 rating with 88 reviews. I intend to revisit it, but the beer as I’ve had it now is by no means world class, nor is it even what I’d consider quite good for the style.

The highlight of the beer is its drinkability, especially when served quite cold.

It’s a pretty decent Imperial IPA which isn’t worth the effort to track down in Austin. Doesn’t hide its ABV all that well but it’s rather drinkable for what it is. I’ll really enjoy finishing the growler I got, and I think it was worth the price I paid to try it. At the end of the day, I think that may be what really matters.

C+/B-

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

White head with a lot of lace. Color is a golden orange.

Flavor profile: very juicy. Dank and weedy. A touch of onion. Some mango and orange flavors. A bit of bready malts. Hop resin flavors.

Mouthfeel: bitter and sticky. Medium bodied. Ends with a hop resin stickiness.

Overall, very awesome dipa. Maybe a bit to sticky.

4.07/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Born on 7-27-16, pours an effervescent amber with a thumb of cream colored head. Impressive head retention & lacing

S: Citrus & breadyness

T: Follows the nose, leafy hops as, some mango too up front. Leafy & catty hops combine with citrus as this warms, some honey malt as this warms. Finishes grassy with lime, grapefruit & a little pineapple, plus a kiss of herbal hops
MF: Medium body, slight carbonation, really nice balance

Well put together DIPA, would drink this often if I could. Karbach's hoppy stuff is super solid! The nose could be better. But given this is damn near 3 months old, I am impressed

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of the greatest CANtributors to The CANQuest (tm) is the Mighty JenRay! She hooks me up like nobody's business & knows my CANfinity, so it makes it easy for her to go shopping. It is easy on my end, also, as she only wants APAs/AIPAs/DIPAs or anything with "Hops" in its name. I was recently at a collaboration brew day at Stoudt's & Karbach BC came up in the luncheon convo. Jaws dropped when I stated that I was eminently familiar with them & their beers & could even cite their address: 2032 Karbach Street in HOUTX. I love these guys, plus that is just an easy one to remember. I gotta get back to HOU & see Catherine the Great. Whoops, faulty memory card! That was at the now-defunct Lovejoy's in Austin. Either way, what a doll!

From the CAN: "Brewed In Texas"; "off the Deep end".

Ha! The CAN art looks like Salvador Dali meets craft beer! Soft CANstruction with Boiled Hops (Premonition of the Crack! & Glug!) is the title. Following the aforementioned, it puffed up with two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, tawny head that fell rather quickly to wisps, leaving a Persistence of their Memory in their wake. Color was a stunningly beautiful Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper with NE-quality clarity. Nose was pungent with hops and my hophead mouth began to water unCANtrollably! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was cool, minty, refreshing & with just enough fusel alcohol heat to remind me to take my lead foot off of the gas pedal & slow the f**k down! Mmmm. I kid you not, the pine/peppermint/evergreen/wintergreen flavor was just off the hizzy. I felt like I could gargle with this in lieu of mouthwash. There were some underway periods where us hardcore types made Pruno out of anything that would ferment, laced with mouthwash containing alcohol. Man, those were the days. Probably lucky that we didn't go blind ... Back to the present. This was a CANtastic beer! Man, it was big, but the taste was just so minty & cool that it was going down like nothing. Finish was likewise cool & refreshing with that little niggling burn in the back of my throat to remind me not to operate any heavy machinery any time soon. Yowza!

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

The beer is mostly clear and golden with a lasting white head. Aromas of hops, pine, alcohol, biscuit, a touch of spice. Boozy with a light sweetness. Warming alcohol in the finish. A tad syrupy, coating the palate. A big, thick, malty DIPA. This was ok, but if I want a big, malty, high abv beer I'll seek other styles.

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hop Delusion from Karbach Brewing Co.