Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Bier 9°

Notes:
Reviews: 172 | Ratings: 582 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Zet:
4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Orange haze with a golden hue and a big frothy head. Foam sinks slowly but keeps the surface covered and leaves pretty lacing. Full nose of pilsener malt, orange, sour apples, pepper and coriander. Taste is mildly sweet in the mouth and dry bittersour in the swallowing. I tasted orange, yeast, malt, pepper and lime flavours. The beer has a spicy aftertaste that lingers quite well. Mouth feel is full-bodied yet surprisingly smooth and gentle for a 9 abv. Its alcohol is deviously well hidden. Definitely worth a try, this tripel.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden/light brown color with three fingers of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that covered the entire top of the beer.

Aroma: Typical Belgian Triple-like aromas of yeast, malt, citrus, caramel and spices. I get floral aromas from hops, some sweet aromas from crystalized sugar, some citrus aromas of oranges and grapefruit, plus spices of black pepper, coriander, clove, ginger, finally, malty aromas of buttered bread.

Taste: Malty upfront, followed by some citrusy notes of grapefruit and. There’s some good sweetness from what I’m assuming is crystalized sugar, and some subtle hoppy bitterness too. Finally, there some good spiciness to this beer, not spiciness as in hot, but spiciness as in spices. I get black pepper, coriander, some clove, and a touch of ginger.

Mouthfeel: Medium with some good carbonation to tickle the tastebuds. With an ABV of 9%, there’s a very pronounced, and pleasant alcohol presence on the palate.

Overall: This beer is fantastic!! I love how well balanced it is, between the bready malts, to the floral and citrusy bitterness of the hops, to the beer’s inherent sweetness. It’s excellent!!

4.77/5  rDev +19.3%

A - Brassy golden hue, translucent, with a generous white frothy head and good retention and lace. On-point for the style.

S - Way delicious! Belgian, buttery, biscuity, and lemon-zesty with a crisp alcohol twang. A slightly different take on the Tripel, but an exceptionally delicious one nonetheless.

T - The taste follows the nose. I get a delicious richness and nearly perfect balance and harmony of the flavors. The malted grain is bready, a bit husky and with just enough sweetness, it is still refreshingly dry. The hop is lightly fragrant and herbal and adds a sublime balance of bitterness. And the yeast imparts delicate notes of lemon, apple and pear. Just an outstanding and refreshing Tripel.

M - Fantastic. Well-carbonated, but with a creamy-soft mouthfeel that is totally complementary.

D - Drinking it at the BA Brandy Hunahpu event, shockingly this ends up as one of my top 5 favorite brews of the substantial day. Surprisingly good.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.29/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

I *must* comment on the FEEL first, because I am surprised that other reviewers haven't noticed. The mouth feel of this beer is that of Champagne! This is something that I do not recall having experienced in American beers, even my favorites. It's as if the bubbles from the carbonation are very tiny and very active. I happen to like this - a LOT; thus, my rating.

The smell is pleasant - a bit fruity, but overall nothing spectacular.

The taste is quite good! It's clean and crisp, not slick or syrupy. I would describe the body as medium. I barely taste or smell the alcohol. But it is definitely there, as I feel myself getting a bit woozy as I write this. (And I'm not a fan of low alcohol beers. If I am going to drink a beer, it may as well do some GOOD, you know? I'm not interested in any beer or ale that comes in at less than 6% ABV. But the higher, the better.)

I will definitely get this again!!

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Pours reddish amber, nice frother white head that resolves to fine lace

Smell: Hint of hay/barnyard, malt and plenty of yeast, over ripe apples/pears, fruity esters

Taste: Pleasant fruit forward (apple/pear/cider like), nice malty throughout without becoming syrupy, bready, very mild hop like astringency with adequate carbonation

Mouthfeel: Creamy, Adequate carbonation and hops to prevent from becoming too malty

Drinkability: Pleasant, easily quaffed tripel with well hidden alcohol.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 25.4 ounce caged and corked bottle into my Chimay chalice. Cork says 2009 on it.

My wife and I visited the Straffe Hendrik brewery during a 2001 visit to Belgium and loved the beer. I saw Straffe Hendrik in Whole Foods and decided to pick up a bottle for us to share. She was pregnant at the time, so I had to wait some time to crack it open.

Beer pours a hazy golden amber. Big bubbles of boisterous carbonation created a good two fingered, fluffy white head.

Nose is both fruity and bread. I get some real sweetness, almost like golden raisins and some apple. The traditional Belgian yeast aroma in noticeably absent.

The taste is very rich. The hops make their presence known with a nice dose of bitterness. There's also a big helping of tropical fruits and some bready and carmel malts. The flavor is very well rounded, complex and balanced.

The mouthfeel is bubbly, dry and well carbonated. It's a medium bodied beer.

Overall, after an absence of a decade, I may have built up Straffe Hendrik in my mind a little bit. It's still a very good triple, but not the mind blowing beer I remember from Brugges. Perhaps my palette has matured. In any case, a happy walk down memory lane.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a beautiful medium gold with a one finger white topper which leaves moderate lacing.

The aroma consists of banana, bubblegum, yeast, and some floral notes.

Tasted as above, along with some citrus fruit and sweet malt. The alcohol was completely hidden.

The mouthfeel was superb. Very smooth and creamy, with a medium to thick body.

This a wonderful representation of the tripel style. Very easy to drink and agreeable, with nothing off about it. If you like this style at all, do yourself a favor and give this a try.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Served at the Brewery in Brugge into a labeled Straffe Hendrik goblet. Such a pleasure to be able to try it there. The bottle was the 330 ml size but they sold a 750 ml size that I would absolutely love to have right now.

A Fluffy white head over an orange brown translucent body. Lacing was evident after repeated sips. Great look.

S A potent version of Brugse Zot. Many of the same grains but now a kick of sweet, alcohol malt.

T Nice strong malt taste with some hops, very much in line with the other De Halve Maan beers in the presence of the barley malt and belgian yeasts.

M Full with big ABV, abundant tastes.

D Not really that high but as a tripel you would not expect this.

Notes: A nice tripel and my favorite beer from De Halve Maan.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%

4.52/5  rDev +13%

Opened with a pop. White foamy head that goes down quickly. Darker for this style with a medium amber color.
Lots of champain bubbles.

Smells of sweet Belgium candy sugars, yeast, bananas, and
alcoholic spices. "lots" going on here.

Tastes of bananas, sweet candy sugars, alcohol, and bitter saaz hops. Very great brew!

Good mouthfeel, sugary and wet. Too much carbonation for my likes.

The drinkability is awesome. This brew has sugars and spices and is very tasty. I love the smell of bananas as I sip this awesome brew. Where is the 9%, dangerous!

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

A different style of Triple, according to the label, and my first of the style. Poured into tulip. Poured a caramel-gold color with a this cap of off-white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing.

The aroma was a lot maltier and less spicy and yeasty than I'm used to. On the tongue, there was an odd spiciness, but the biggest flavor was caramel maltiness. I really liked the flavor but it is way different than any other example of a Trippel that I've had.

The body was decent, but a stickier and sweeter than I look for in a Tripel. Drinkability was very good, I'm going back to the store and grab another bottle.

Overall, a unique take on the style. Worth trying.

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

330 ml bottle found in Long Beach, on to the beer:

Bright blonde color with soapy head texture on top lasting all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Some lacing sticks to the glass. The nose is classic tripel; sugar and candied apricot. Sweet tasting, a heavier bodied brew from all the sugar, tasty. Candi sugar is obvious, lighter waves of apricot and a dash of spicy hops round out the tasting notes. The alcohol is deceiving, though you will feel some effect afterwards.

A jolly tripel to drink. A bit expensive compared to other in it's class, however tripel lovers shouldn't shy away from putting this on their list to try.

Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Bier 9° from Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan