Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel | Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

halvemaan.be

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BucBasil on 11-05-2010

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle purchased at Liquor Shed in Casper, $11.99

Another powerful pop when I removed the cage and cork. No spillage.

Lots of foam so I'm waiting for that to settle down. Okay, it has a deep brown kind of mahogany colour to it, looks to be clear. The foam is off white bordering on tan. I see nice lacing.

I smell some sweet goodness. Caramel malt that fades into a port like nose that also has some fruity aromas going on. That's not all; I get some notes of chocolate and some cherries. Some alcohol as well but it's pretty well masked.

The taste is less sweet than I would have guessed. A port like flavour greets me at the door followed by toffee, figs, some cherries that add a mere hint of tartness. I also get more than a hint of the abv...lots of warming ensues. I wish more of the Port stood out but this is certainly tasty enough without that happening.

Despite the big pop on opening and the great looking foam I see after every pour, I'd call the carbonation on the near delicate side.

This is a beer and brewery that I've never even heard about, probably saw it on the shelves in FT Collins but never noticed, but I really like this one a lot. It has a comforting feel to it.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%