Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel | Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BucBasil on 11-05-2010

Reviews: 188 | Ratings: 716
4.41/5  rDev +7.8%

Pour: Clear, dark ruby red to mahogany body. Thick, frothy three fingered tan head that recedes very slowly and leaves thick rings of lacing behind all the way down. Total eye candy.

Smell: Tart and sweet with a combination of sour and dark fruity tones, lots of caramel malty goodness, a touch of molasses, and a touch of alcohol astringency.

Taste: Rich and full flavored. Lots of caramel, and brown sugar sweetness with a touch of sour cherry and the ever slightest hint of vanilla. Chocolatey middle with hints of raisin and dried plum. Dry, tart finish with a moderate level of bitterness and a hint of mocha. Slightly alcoholic and warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body with high carbonation. Slightly creamy and ultra-smooth.

Drinkability/Overall: Very easy drinking, with lots of good flavor leaving you yearning for the next sip. You could easily put away a couple of these big bottles, though you wouldn't like the results next morning, as it is 11%!

Final Notes: One hell of a beer. This is one to sip on in front of a fireplace in the cold weather to warm up. Would also make a great after-dinner beer or beer to pair with dessert. It is a touch dangerous at 11% though, so treat it with respect!

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice dark brown with an off white head. Good retention.

Smells malty. Slightly metallic chocolate, yes dark chocolate. Molasses. Dark fruits, booze.

Dark fruits ofcourse and a rather interesting choclatey maltiness that I do not get in other quads like Rochefort 10 or Westvleteren 12. Almost RIS like to me.

All in all less fruity and more dark malty that other quads.

Mouthfeel is rather full, nice and creamy. Good carbonation.

Overall a nice beer really, less fruity than most comparable beers and with a bigger chocolate/coffee/metallic maltiness to it.

Good stuff.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: black, tan foamy head, opaque

Aroma: date, fig, raisin, prune, molasses, malt sweetness

Taste: strong note of prune and molasses at onset, finish with a mild nutty character with a ton of malt depth. Slight bitter tingle in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, smooth, thick, not easily quaffable and borderline cloying,

Overall Impression: a very strong and noticeably alcoholic quad with strong flavors of dark fruits and molasses. A thick and sweet beverage, this beer demands to be enjoyed over a long period of time.

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tulip from a 12oz regular capped bottle. The color was dark almost completely black with little to no lacing. A fruity smell such as plums, dates, raisins comes through with an overall honey floral sweetness. Upon the first sip the dark fruit presents itself followed by a slight bitterness. Not a terribly great mouthfeel. Seem to be flat. Not sure if I got a bad of
Bottle but the lack of carbonation for a Belgian is severely disappointing.

3.59/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: deep brown, just south of cola, one finger head, dissipates rather quickly with very mild lacing around the glass
S: roasty, with subtle hints of clove and banana, also some quiet notes of alcohol, pleasant, mild traces of dark fruity esters that become more pronounced over the given session, the main take away here is the roasted malt, it is the most prominent
T: coffee and plum, amber candy sugar, possibly a subtle hint of rye or wheat in the grain bill but I wouldn’t swear to it, the coffee dissipates as the beer mellows, also as this occurs the candy sugar sweetness begins to become more pronounce, very mild bitterness, present, but not pronounced
M: full bodied though not quite imperial stout thick, the banana and clove notes help to make this a more filling beer
O: quite good, I would drink it again, the beers this most reminds me of are de ranked noir de dottignies and aventinus eisbock (though much less heavy), the belgian strong dark ale/quad is one of my favorite styles and I find I learn more and more every time I drink one, I find that when I review them, I write an initial review in roughly ten minutes and then edit for subsequent sensations for about the next hour, not just with this one but with all of them, take your time, not because of the alcohol, though that is certainly part of it, but because this is a style that reveals itself quite gradually and warrants your fully and developing attention

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lovely set of smells and tastes from this beer. It does not give off the notion of being 11%, it is well masked. Fruity and sort of earthy, it reminds me of a strong dubbel kind of. Its heavy on the caramel and toffee, with dark fruit here and there. Lovely yeast flavor, get this and savor it.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

11.2 ounce bottle served cold in glass beer challis

A) Stout like in appearance with lofty off-white head that lasts for several minutes. Beer is opague with little light passing through. Dark and dense, even when held to the light, non passes through.

S) Sweet caramel, dark stewed fruit, raisons, ginger, root beer. Complex but not over powering, delicious. Cant wait to taste it.

T) Mild espresso with chocolate and sweet Belgian sugar. Full of cooked fruit -- apricot, figs, plums all nicely toasted.

M) One of this beer's best quality is its dense and effervescent quality. High alcohol is there but you hardly notice it. Sweet, sticky and full bodied

O) Straffe Hendrik 11 is a fine beer and excellent example of the authentic Belgian Quad

4.99/5  rDev +22%

Pours a gorgeous burnt sienna into my ommengang snifter. soft white head that lingers up and down the glass. The aroma of delicious candy sugar fades into sugar plums and mandrin oranges. The flavor of bready caramel malts lingers as candied fruit wash over the tongue with a warming brandy quality. It dances over the tongue and makes me wish for more!

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml served into a duvel tulip

pours a dark hazelnut brown color with a shade of reddish amber. finishes with a sticky tan head that takes awhile to relent

classic textbook belgian quad smell that produces an aroma rich in spiced herbal notes, a butternut toffee, and is completed by a lingering black licorice/anise

the taste starts with the dark fruits, with just a tinge of the alcohol thats present, then in comes the spice vanilla flavor leads into a sweet brown sugar that dissipates and becomes slightly dry. maybe a little bitterness at the end

a pretty solid outing for a quad. pretty textbook but with a strong taste. id rank it in the top 10 of quads ive tried but not top 5

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours well, gives plenty to soak in from the sharp aroma of chocolate and toffee. It's a strong attack of caramel taste, which is good. I've fallen in love with Belgian brews, and this one caught my eye with 11% by volume. It warms the chest with it's potency, but it's not a killer by any means. Toffee, chocolate, and most of all, caramel. It's deep in taste, but doesn't give much to rave about.

Like most Quads for me, it's a warming beer that seems to fit as a dessert after a meaty meal...something to sip slowly and really enjoy. Glad I picked this one up, hoping it'll make an appearance at the next Belgian Beer Fest I hit up in late February.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L:dark mahogny.,a thick creamy head when I pour in the glass.
S:spices. Dark fruits like dates . plums and figures . burnt sugar . yeast alcohol.
T: dark fruits . candi sugar . coffee and malts. Well balanced bitterness in this brew.

F:full bodied with low carbonation. Gives a sour mouthfeel that I liked. The high alcohol contest quite noticeable. Gives almost immediately a warming feel.
O: A very interesting beer and very enjoyable. I was suprised over how well made it was. And I am eager to try the other beers from this brewery.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

There should be a rating for label. If there was I'd give this a 4.35. Classy Moon-face Beardo on a tasteful black background. Weird font. This label says "sophisticated" and "for beardos"

Head: massive foamy head. poured it a while ago and it's not easing up
Nose: the usual assortment of quad aromas (cherry raisins malt)
Feel: a little too bubbly for my liking
Taste: delicious! though the alcohol lingers a bit too long

I can't lie, I've rarely met a quad I didn't like. I definitely enjoyed this one, esp. as it warmed.

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets.

A - A deep brown color with a medium ivory head.

S - Toffee, candied fruits, figgy with some spice.

T - Slightly burnt toffee, spice, bready malt.

M - Well balanced carbonation with a slight alcohol warmth.

This is a great one. It is not overly sweet or syrupy nor is it drowning in fruitiness. The flavors are distinct and inviting. Overall I would put this with the big 3, Abt 12, Rochefort 10, and Westvleteren 12.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased at Lekkerbier for 2.20 euros. Pours dark brown in glass with large head, leaving lacing. Taste is malty, with hints of coffee and Chocolate. Nice carbonation. Quite drinkable. Will likely try this again.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Color is deep, dark red, with a beige head. Aroma of caramel and red fruit. Hints of coffee and port make for a strong taste and is accompagnied with a nice alcoholic warmth. Very good beer.

4.37/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really liked this quad. Rich foam head that hung in there. Complex flavor that were hard to pin point. Makes it a bit "mysterious". Belgian yeast and roasted malts.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Smell: sweet orange zest with sugary notes and molasses inside of oak barrels

Taste: intense brown sugar/ molasses, sweet cream, orange zest and a somewhat sweet scotch-like taste throughout the entirety of this drink

This beer is highly recommended for those who are trying to explore the quadruple world of beer and, more specifically, people who want to venture into Belgium.

Pairings: extra sharp cheddar, hamburgers, tri-tip, and smoked fish are very good with this beer; don't forget the black grapes

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

I had this while in Bruges recently . . . at Cambrinus. I would put this up there with Rochefort 10 which I've always liked better than Westvleteren XII and St Bernardus Abt 12.

Overall my favorite beer of all time. This is a fragrant, herbal/spiced, thick, syrupy black-as-night beer. You can't see any light through this beer at all, a huge plus in my opinion.

Pour this into a tulip glass if you can't get glassware from the brewery. (I am working on a way to get some- any suggestions?)

This beer has a thick head with small, light brown bubbles and good flavor there too.

One word of caution: the Straffe Quad has 11%abv so you might want to drink conservatively if you haven't had a beer this strong before. It'll sneak up on you before you realize it.

I'm sure not everyone is in love with this style of beer but I am although I didn't know that until I had one after a look around the Halve Maan brewery in Brugge, Belgium. A fantastic tour and especially memorable because of the strong smell of cooking hops and spices in the air- a reflection of the quality of both the tour and the beer itself.

As I try more quads I suppose I may find one I like better, but I tend to measure all beers in this style against the Straffe Hendrik as I probably will be for quite some time. I can't imagine how this beer could be improved upon.

4.44/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the first beer from Straffe Hendrik that I have had the pleasure of enjoying. Let warm from the fridge for about 30 minutes before pouring. $5 for a 11.2 oz.

Look - Poured dark brown, close to black, with very little head or effervescence.

I need to add in the "look" section how cool I think the bottle is too. I love the gold and silver metallic borders around the purple. The font choices were great, and a crescent moon can be found on the cap as well as the front of the bottle. (If I were to design a beer label, I would like to imagine I would shoot for something similar to this.)

Smell - First and foremost was an intense kick of chocolate. Sweet and roasty smelling. Oh man this beer smells good! The scent of dark fruits such as cherries and berries are hidden in there too.

Taste - A lot of sweet and complex malt flavors are present. Caramel and cane sugar flavors are very present. The alcohol bite is strong on this one, and its aftertaste can be a bit overpowering. The flavor of raisins is strong, perhaps prunes. Has a sweet nectar-like taste.

Feel - Sticky sweet lips. Very smooth mouthfeel. Very pleasant.

Overall - Wow, this was one badass beer! I will be looking for more from this brewery in the future because this was a real treat.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I felt like a cartoon... At first I was OK with it but as I continued to drink it, the more I liked it. By day 2 I was absolutely loving this beer with bright eyes. Malty and sweet with molasses, brown sugar and banana. The texture is thick and smooth and there is no alcohol or hop bite on the finish at all. The entire experience is velvety smooth and sweet and too easy to drink. The color is like an over brewed iced tea which adds to the approachability of the whole experience. I will be buying more of this.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Deep brown with red highlights and a nice off white head that doesn't linger forever, but sticks for awhile.

S- Nice Alcohol smell and strong estery highlights.

T- Delicious "dark" sugar taste, not sweet like a lot of quads. Little coffee taste, fairly dry.

M- Smooth and dry. Not overly carbonated.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this both on tap at the brewery in Brugge and by bottle here in the US.

A - Dark brown almost black at first glance (actually dark ruby red), large tan head with large bubbles and amazing retention.

S - Smell of dark fruit, yeast and a hint of alcohol.

T - Smooth flavors of caramel, rich malts lend to a nice flavor of brown bread. There are also notes of alcohol and a hint of dark fruit which lingers nicely on the palette.

M - Medium mouthfeel, surprisingly light for a quad

O - Great drinkability. An excellent quadrupel. Flavors work well in concert with each other to form a beer that's not overly heavy and quite delicious.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark copper colored body with a two finger tanned head with excellent retention.

Smell: Quite a mild and fresh smell of flowers, cheery and chocolate.

Taste: Roasted malts, figs, brown sugar and a touch of candy cane. Conceals the alcohol perfectly.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth feeling with light carbonation.

Overall: Sweet as most quads, beautiful of both bottle and ale. One of my favorites so far!

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First beer of 34 bottles I ordered and had shipped out to me in the wilds of Northeast Thailand. Perhaps I was a bit paranoid about the beer being spoiled as its been over 100 degrees everday lately and the order took three days to arrive, and bottles were warm on arrival. All that made me half imagine I was drinking beer on the way to spoilage. However, the other beers I have since tried dispelled that, some of them very well known to me and if anything all tasted fresher than those from supermarkets in Bangkok. So, I assume the Hendrik Quad was as intended.

As an overall impression, this quad has some really interesting flavors going on. I know this might sound weird, but confirmed numerous times a gin and tonic back drop to more familiar quad flavors. One thing that I found interesting with this quad was how totally variable each sip I took was. Sometimes I got a gin tonic, other times Christmass pudding, other times chocolate/coffee. I really like my quads, one of my favorite beer styles, but I am still a bit of a rookie and thought Hendrik Staffe is one of the more unusual if not pretty good ones I've had.

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel from Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan