Pinner Throwback IPA | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Pinner Throwback IPAPinner Throwback IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States

Style: American IPA

How do you cram as much hop & malt flavor and aroma as possible into a beer but make it crushable too? That’s the challenge we answered with PINNER Throwback IPA. At 4.9% ABV and 35 IBUs, this drinkable IPA uses several varieties of hops to target the ever-evolving flavor. With tropical fruits, citrus juices, pineapple and spice berry up front in the aroma and flavor, the biscuit & toasted bread at the back balance out all the hops and make a great finish to go on to your next can of PINNER. It’s the perfect beer for a little sip, sip, give.

Added by aasher on 11-22-2014

Ratings: 1,983 |  Reviews: 339
Reviews by buschbeer:
3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

12 FL. OZ can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer is golden in color and topped with two inches of white head.

The aroma is citrusy and dank.

I pick up some citrus. I get some bitter grapefruit and some dank herb.

It has a pretty thin feel.

This is probably the most flavorful session IPA that I have tried. It is not watered down like most of the others. Very well done.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

do we really need another average session beer? i think not, also, an interestingly timed release for something designed for summer crushing, but yet here we have it. at least oskar blues put a new beer out finally, i have to take it. the beer is blonde and pale, short lived three quarters of an inch of white fizz on top. my girlfriend thought it smelled like a bud light, and while i do get a little corn chip action on the nose, i dont all the way agree. i think the hops selected, mosaic i think, are nice and forward and clean, which is what the style likes. the flavor is a lot like the nose, but i wanted this to be hoppier. its not all that flavorful. my other critique is that the body isnt all that light either, like, i might get full drinking a sixer of these, which i think is something to be avoided in the style. carbonation is fine, and i suppose the beer is fine on the whole too, but i would never choose this out of the growling catalog of session beers that are out there for sale in this market or any other.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Oskar Blues "Pinner Throwback IPA"
12 oz. can, "CANNED ON 03/06/[email protected]:18 XRAY SHUFFLE"
$1.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

I haven't really liked a "session" IPA until now... Right now, just at this very moment, as I sit here writing this review, I can now say I really like a session IPA. Oh, I've had one's that I've liked, that have been OK... but I've only had about 2 ounces of this - I still have at least 10 oz. of Oskar Blues "Pinner" left in my glass - and I can immediately say that I love it! It hits you in the nose and then in the mouth with pineapple, mango, apricot, papaya, lime, and just a hint of grapefruit - all refreshing bright fruits. At first I thought I smelled pine in the nose and that's why it was called "Pinner", but it's not really pine-like in the flavor at all (there's a very slight bit). Could there be more malt? I really don't think so. There's enough, and any more would start to take it beyond "throwback" or "session" IPA. More importantly it's not that bitter. Hell, it's got less IBUs than many pale ales, and yet it's so 'juicy hoppy'. It's a tropical delight! The delicate but firm, bready malt and some unusual character round it out and ground it (I don't know, Zach136 pointed it out as "onion" and I totally get that but I don't know what to call it otherwise and I have no idea where it came from), but other than that it's just a stiff spine of bitterness that flies the bright green and orange flag of some unknown tropical-fruit hop nation. I've said in the past that there's a time and place for every beer, and that when my deep sea fishing vessel catches fire and burns down to just a fiberglass hull separating me from the big fish with teeth I'd go for a mass-produced light beer - no longer... I want one of these!

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light, Piney, Grapefruity, Crackery

Start with the cheeky text of on the can: "Can I Be Blunt? Pack it in. Pack it out. Sip, Sip, Give." Get it? Pours a bright, pale yellow with a clingy white foam head. Soft pine, grapefruit and grass in the nose. The body is firm, crisp, and creamy. Crackery malts. Muted grapefruit and citrus rind bitterness up front, fading into grassy and floral with an oily and resiny back end and lightly sour finish. Very more-ish and poundable. This is one pinner that we wouldn't share.

STYLE: American IPA | ABV: 4.9% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #98 (MAR 2015)

3.02/5  rDev -21.1%

tasted like a watered down ipa, would have been better as a pale ale.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Canned on 1/7/15

Pours honey colored with a thumb of cream colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Pine & Pineapple

T: Follows the nose, a little breadyness as well, plus some dryness. More of the same as this warms pineyness & citrus dominate. Finishes crisp, a little bready sweet & with much pineapple

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, great balance

Drinks so easy, one of the better takes in this style; would happily buy again

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I just can't do the Session IPA's. This is a decent beer...but I just feel like I'm drinking a hopped- up Bud Light

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Canned on 03/20/15:

Pours golden with a lasting white head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of pine/resin, citrus - full of aromatic hop goodness.

The taste is of bitter citrus and pine. A bready/grainy malt backing is subtle, but enough to keep it smooth and to add balance.

Smooth despite bitter bite. A bit on the watery side, but less watery than other "session" IPA's. At 4.9 abv it barely qualifies - ringing in just under 5%...

Anyway, for a "session" IPA it is great. Plenty of aromatic hops.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Wonderful beer to down right after getting home from work or while mowing the lawn, and just about anytime you want a refreshing beer to drink quickly. It has a solid enough cracker-like malt base and some spicy, citric and lightly bittering hops to make for a tasty offering. I can see myself drinking this again and again.

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Loads of citrus fruit, a little tropical, and dank. Tangerines, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, a bit peppery. One of my favorite hop profiles. Malts are cracker like. Solid session.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

I went into the U.S. Navy back in 1983 on a drug waiver and I am glad that I did because it means that I CAN openly cop to a lot of stuff and profess knowledge that I might not otherwise be allowed to without fear of repercussion(s). This is one such instance. A "pinner" is a thin, tightly rolled joint that is more paper than marijuana and looked at lenghthwise, it has the thickness of a pin. It is the opposite of a "fatty". There was a guy in our neighborhood named Dave Pickel who was famous for his "Pickel Pins", forget a Heinz Pickle Pin. Welcome to The CANQuest (tm), where all CANs are equal and anything is fair game!

From the CAN: "CAN I be blunt?"; "Sip, sip, give"; "Pack it in, pack it out"; "CANs infinitely recyclable"; "Throwback IPA".

If it were truly a "throwback", it would come with instructions, ala the first Kroger CANs or Hardywood Cream Ale. Instructions on what? How to turn the empty CAN into a one-hit bowl by punching two additional holes - one for a wire screen and one for a carb! The Feds would probably s**t themselves if such was ever submitted as a label design, but man, that would be righteous. Let me know the next time I see you and I CAN show you how it is done.

This was a classic Crack! & Glug and produced a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was a pretty Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-plus quality clarity and instantly, I was joined by the Gelt Brothers - Midas, Mammon and Croesus. Nose had a dank grassiness that made me wonder if I hadn't spilled my dime bag somewhere nearby. Nope, safe and sound! Mouthfeel was a bit thin for the style. Once again, the taste did not match the nose, which is my big hangup with the session Pale Ales. It was weak, more tea-like than hops or ganja. I took a deep breath and exhalled, hoping to get a good rush on the finish, but to no avail. Sad face. 8=( All is not lost, however, as I am loading the bhong, er, water pipe even as I toke, I mean, type and I will wash down my next hit with some Pinner. I hope everything is cool and mellow for yinz, also.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

can picked up locally, dated 2/27/15 (just over a month), enjoyed from an oskar blues rocks glass.

a - pours transparent yellow orange thin fizzy head that didn't hang. streaky lace.

s - nose is light citric hop on the tropical side of the spectrum. really nice.

t/m/o - many folks have commented that this is a watered down ipa, and I think that is just a symptom of the style...but this is one of the better low abv ipas I have tried. light and soft, real nice flavor, but yes a session ipa and the body leaves something to be desired but nice hop flavoring if you are looking to throw back many in a sunny day.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this in a tallboy over in Plattsburgh, NY the other day. You can get it in sixers but not in a tallboy here.

Pours a bright golden color with a frothy head that fades to lacing. Looks lively as far as carbonation is concerned.

Tropical citrus with a touch of biscuit malt in the nose. Spot on as far as the description is concerned.

Juicy with grapefruit peel and mango, followed by that wonderful biscuit malt at the back. Flavorful for something that's only 4.9%.

Finishes clean at the back of the throat with some lingering citrus.

Amazingly flavorful session IPA. I highly recommend that you pick up a can (or six) today!

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Can to glass. Nose is tropical: citrus, pineapple, mango. Taste is Biscuity, with more sour fruit late, like grapefruit. Appearanxe: Bright golden color. Half inch white head. Fades pretty quick. Feel is just right for a session beer like this. Above average carbonation. Fairly thin, but not without some body....easy drinking. Another winner from oskar blues who has helped me cure my discrimination against canned beer.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Vigorous pour yields a one inch white head over a bright, light yellow body with some lacing. Nose of light pine, slight citrus, and even slighter tropical fruit. Very nice and light, and very refreshing on the palate, Good feel and overall a great session beer. Cheers!

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is low alcohol. I am now done with the attributes. A very metallic type of willowy beer that makes me sad to be alive. I am going to finish it and forget this

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Solid. Drinkable. I'm no hop head, but I find this enjoyable. I could easily have another 2 of these. I haven't been a huge fan of the Oskar Blues beers, so maybe they are getting on the right track.

4.26/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Pinner Throwback IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew