Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

YOUR RATING = None |
Old Chub - Scottish Style AleOld Chub - Scottish Style Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."

Added by Todd on 12-13-2003

Reviews: 1,639 | Ratings: 5,084

How long CAN I keep this up?

It poured with a finger's worth of deep tan/light brown head with lots of CO2 bubbles, low retention, and great lacing. The nose was very chocolaty, which I found interesting for a Scottish-style ale. The color was a deep, dark brown with garnet highlights. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy, almost milkshake like. Speaking of which, that is what it reminded me of - a quality chocolate milkshake. It was rich with chocolate flavor in the mouth and on the tongue. The finish continued with the chocolatiness, but the extreme finish had a light smokiness. My, oh my! This could make me rethink my stance as an avowed hophead.

I went to a local bar down the street for the first time (thinking it was going to be one of those joints where the best thing they have is Bud Light..) but to my surprise they had a crazy good beer selection and ended up trying this for the first time!

Serving: Can poured into a Pint glass

Appearance: Super dark red with a nice big head (if poured a tad aggressively).. looked black until I held it to the light and it gave of this beautiful reddish ruby color.

Smell: Light malt presence with a nice sweet butterscotch smell to it the smell of alcohol is light.

Taste: I taste butterscotch, honey, a tad bit of malt and dried fruit. I can barely tell this is a 8.00% beer, the alcohol is very well masked in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy, not too carbonated, and overall VERY easy to drink. I had no problem drinking this beer.

Overall: This was my first time drinking this beer and honestly I was blown away. I heard a lot about it and when I walked into the bar and found this in their selection I just had to try it. Definitely can't wait to go to my liquor store and buy this for myself to enjoy on the regular!

4.98/5  rDev +24.5%

It looks great - dark, with a creamy head that isn't too voluminous or fluffy - but what sold it for me was the smooth feel and rich taste. It also helps that a pint doesn't feel overly filling. The alcohol content is a nice middle ground between weak and overwhelming.

4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

Initial head is pretty decent and clings to the glass fairly well. Nice black color.

Smell is amazing: strong roasted coffee with licorice and roasted chocolate malt, chocolate malts, and caramel malts with a very faint hop backround. DAMN! What a fucking smell.

Taste is smooth roasted cofee with some roasted and unroasted chocolate malts. Caramel malts are in the forefront with the strong roasted cofee flavor that finishes with just a hint of black licorice. Holy balls this is a good beer.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth

One of the best sessional beers I've ever had. Didn't even know it was 8 percent abv. You have to try this beer. I bought a six pack of this in colorado. WHY DIDN'T I BUY A CASE?

4.93/5  rDev +23.3%

Look: Two finger brownish head, red tinged very dark brown body.

Smell: Smoked wood, dark fruits, and caramel.

Taste: Same as above, but includes toasted bread, a note of coffee, and a touch of nutty hops.

Feel: Low carbonation, medium-full bodied, small but pleasant alcohol burn. Very nicely balanced.

4.9/5  rDev +22.5%

A - Pours an almost black, ruby mahogany brown. Forms a nice thick and creamy 2 finger, medium tan head. Whispy lacing left on the walls of the glass.
S - Malts, chocolate malt, peat smoke, caramel, and pipe tobacco.
T - Sweet malty smoke, toffee, caramel and a slightly bitter finish which perfectly balances the sweetness.
O - A perfect representation of the scotch ale style. 5 star scotch ale. If you're a fan of the wee heavys, definitely give this one a try, its highly sessionable.
V - Great value, comes in a six pack of cans.

4.88/5  rDev +22%

Poured from glorious can into tulip. This nearly dark brown bear had a fine creamy almond-colored head of medium duration. The nose was a faint caramel chocolate that was also evident in the flavor although i felt there was licorice there as well. The pallet feel was like velvet with little hang. I'll have another.

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

I absolutely looove this beer. The guys at the office call Old Chub a 'fight in a can,' because it has relatively high ABV, but is extremely drinkable. Before you know it you're 3 beers in.

Old Chub is a relatively heavy beer, and loaded with dynamic, and somewhat sweet flavors that mask the alcohol very well. Its one of the only scotch ales that I can drink 3-or4-or 5 of in a sitting

4.87/5  rDev +21.8%

Appearance: dark body, with ruby hues, and a khaki, soapy head that dissipates into a small ring. Spotty lacing.
Aroma: strong dark roasted malt. Some fruit is detected later on.
Taste: slightly sweet; dark roasted malt; dark chocolate-covered fruit, like prunes, or raisins. Pleasant hop background; floral.
Mouthfeel: light to medium, carbonated.
Finish: semi-dry.

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

//Reviewed on 3/24/09. ENJOY BATCH #28 CANNED ON 01-06-09 CHUB THE ONE YER WITH

This beer has won my heart with all its absurd qualities.

A- Dark, opaque brown color in my cervoise (looks like a fat, short flute or a tulip without curves) and slightly translucent, brown/garnet color in my mug. Decent head with great retention and splotches of lacing.

S&T- Rich smokey flavors of burnt and caramelized malts and a pinch of bitter hops on top of a sweet, slightly doughy malt base. I kept seeking through this beer for imperfections, but could find none. Perhaps the alcohol is a bit strong if you're not into that, but it is really quite tame for a 8.00%ABV.

M- When it's on my tongue I feel like swishing it through my mouth as it is so creamy and thick. However, there is carbonation and I quickly swallow and want some more

D- Take care with this beer. I drank it with some friends without telling them it was 8% and one of them got extra smashed saying "it's just like drinking water and I'm thirsty"

Even though it's a seasonal, the beer will stay pretty fresh for a long time at 8%. I think I will stock up on this beer

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

Drink beer from a CAN? You must be mad, sir! Or so I thought, when I saw this staring unobtrusively from the beer cooler at Lone Star Liquor Company in Breckenridge (cool name, by the way). But the guy behind the counter swore by it, so I bought a sixer. Whoof. This is one damned fine brew. Pours that deep, satisfying ruby-mahogany color you'd expect. You can smell the malt. Tastes delicious, malty, sweet, just a background trace of hops (those Scots emphasize the malt over the hops). But be careful: at 8% abv, this beer will sneak up on you! I can now safely say, Drink beer from a CAN? Why yes, I believe I will, thanks!

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Can is a cool design with a nice tartan-type pattern on part of it. Beer is a deep brown color with very thin head. Looks like you'd expect for the style.

Sweet caramel smell with awesome peaty smoky aroma.

Taste is HUGE. Chocolatey sweet with peat, smoke, wood, vanilla, and resinous piney hops. Very complex and ridiculously tasty.

Medium to full body and very smooth. Like an awesome milkshake... in a can!

Ridiculous beer here. I love it. I love the style, and this just might be my favorite Scottish Ale ever. Hats off to Oskar Blues for creating such a beast and for putting it in a can. Wow.

Tasted on 5/12/08. Trade from DHermit (thanks man, I obviously liked it!).

4.8/5  rDev +20%

Though I do enjoy Scottish ales, they have never been one of my favorites. Well, that has changed since having this beer.

Poured a dark brown (almost black) color with a soft and relatively thin mocha colored head. Just a touch of carbonation seems to have been added to this beer; giving it a slightly higher viscosity and consistency. Rings as well as spots of lacing were left behind in my glass. Aromas of chocolate, freshly ground coffee beans, blackened toast, and syrup seemed to come out. These aromas blend together so well, they almost create a singular scent; one of roasted or smoked sweets; absolutely enticing. The taste was just incredible with the roasted/smoked flavors pushing through ever so slightly behind the sweet malt flavors. A touch of hops added balance and contrast. Over time, the chocolate flavors (dark and milk) seemed to intensify, adding another element of sweetness. The texture was creamy and smooth without being overly porous or milky as is sometimes the case. Neither from the taste nor the aroma would I have known the ABV of this beer was 8%...completely hidden in the sweet flavors. Having had one can, I longed for another one, but decided not to since this beer is not available in my area.
I'm definitely going to have this again and again; perhaps next time with a biscotti or semi-sweet pastry.

4.76/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I wish there were more Scotch Ale's on the market. This is a great example. Malty as hell, and delicious. There are hints of coffee within the intense malt flavor. While it doesn't sip well at the end, it's still a paramount among Scotch Ales.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into a Surly goblet...
This is a dark brown ale with a nice 1/2" thick head and lacing on the sides of the glass. Nice full malty aroma. This is a delicious beer with hints of coffee and chocolate. I will drink this over and over...

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

I tried Old Chub on the reccomendation of Sam Matson and Jeff Shaw from Red White And Brew in Florence NJ. Sam has a great eclectic selection of beers at the Florence store. Old Chub to me was exceedingly smooth and very easy drinking which is not usually my description of a dark beer. The taste was light and not "overpowering" like some dark beers (Guiness) the appearance was that of a european ale that you would find in a pub. No mentionable after taste which in my eyes is great because I dont think that a beer should have a huge aftertaste.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Everyone has that beer that they put on a pedestal, something they try every now and then thinking "was it really THAT good?" and have the answer be a confident yes. This is mine. It's the beer that got me heavy into craft brewing, and while my journey has brought me through imperial stouts, trappist brews, and the varied world of saisons, absolutely nothing has quite reached the heights that this beer has for me. So disclaimer: I'm slightly biased

L: A clear reddish brown, modest head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: That pleasant caramel and fruit sweetness that seems exclusive to scotch ales.

T: Incredible. A sweet malty flavor throughout, strong notes of fig, with some lingering woodiness bringing up the backend. The halfway point between the heaviness of a dark belgian and the mildness of a dunkelweizen.

F: Carbonation at the level of most pale ales. Leaves a thin film on the tongue that lets the flavor linger.

O: Damn good. If you like the darker german or belgian offerings, you'll enjoy this too. And if you like scotch ales, well, this is one of the best out there. Being widely available is just icing on the cake.

4.74/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful dark, dark red to almost black depending on the light. Smells actually like a chocolate covered cherry in a way followed by malt. Nice medium to thick body. Taste is amazing! Nice rich chocolaty and over ripe cherry. Amazing!

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

When I first got introduced to beer, a patron at the bar I work at said never to try this beer. Going against what they said became one of the wisest decisions I have ever made. This beer epitomized what I wanted, a strong mouth feel which offered my palate exactly what I wanted.

It's dark, rough, and extremely malty. It has became not only my favorite scotch ale, but my favorite beer overall.

4.73/5  rDev +18.3%

12oz can with no freshness date.

Pours a very dark brown that blocks light towards the middle, but is a rich, dark shade of brown at the edges. Rich and creamy dark tan head, very substantial.

Smell is a ton of dark, roasted malt with some caramel in there, a cream-ale-like milky/lactose aroma, and a touch of chocolate and coffee. Did I mention that there is so much malt that you can't see through it?

Taste is very full and very smooth. Dark roasted barley and caramel malt are up front, while the caramel blends in to a milky but unsweetened chocolate finish with some coffee flavor too, while retaining the dominance of the malt. The milk flavor is thin, seemingly skim, and similar to malted milk ball candy in how it blends with the chocolate and malt. The chocolate is sweetened by the malt and the milk, but not by sugar, and it is not unnaturally sweet. The malt is the dominant flavor though, and it is pure barley and caramel grains with no extra bitterness and an unearthly smoothness. Mouthfeel is milky, yet more drinkable than milk.

Exceptionally drinkable due to the smoothness and perfect blending of all the flavors. This is the best beer of this style that I have had.

4.71/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

14.04.1016

Oskar Blues Brewing – Old Chub
Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy – 8.0% - 330ml can – Canned 16.10.2014 - Best Before Unknown

From Wikipedia:
Old Chub is a Scotch ale brewed with seven different malts, including crystal and chocolate malts. Old Chub also gets a dash of beechwood-smoked grains imported from Bamburg, Germany.

Appearance: Pours dark brown – deep brown with a solid 3 finger light brown head. Lots of carbonation moving up the side of the glass. Excellent had retention,a very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Classic wee heavy aroma of liquorice, tobacco, sweet dark fruits, black jack sweets, demerara sugar. Fruit cake / dark sweet bread - like a malt loaf, fresh from oven.

Taste: Sweet fruit, strong hit of liquorice, sweet malt and a very long sweet, then just turning slightly dry, finish. Perfectly balanced and very complex.

Mouthfeel: Quite full bodied and very smooth although it does keep moving around the palate thanks to the lively carbonation(would love to try the nitro version to see how that compares).

Overall: I'm really enjoying these wee heavy / scotch ales at the moment - both the classic/traditional styles and these craft brewery ones. This is up there with the best of them. For overall enjoyment this gets a very well deserved 4.75. Fantastic, complex, malty beer.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Old Chub never disappoints and it's about time I reviewed this beer.
Poured deep brown quickly fading head into a tulip. Nice caramel notes in the aroma and taste. Very smooth malt/milky smoothness.
The perfect alternative to give the palate a rest from hop attacks.
Very enjoyable and would be a great session beer for football season except for the 8% abv.
So, I have to sip. No big deal.

4.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Old Chub . Scottish Style Ale . I was wishful that this stuff tastes as good as the other fantastic brews from the Oskar Blues Brewery and it is . I have had a few of these while watching the Patriots game which is 13 - 6 Patriots . This brew comes in a can . When I first started this " hobby '' , I wanted nothing to do with craft beer in a can . My first stop at a good brew store , I was told about Oskar Blues but I was too snobby to think that can beer was worth drinking . Oskar Blues is now my favorite brewery . I have had Dale's Pale Ale , Gordon ( love it ) and now i will have a Old Chub . Poured into a Spaten mug the foamy head which was 2 fingered has reduced to one and the lacing is nice . Held up to the sunlight the appearance is like the other Oskar Blues products , nice . The smell is of sweet candy - licorice . red hot dollars - . The taste is of caramel and smokey jerky . I am about to dig into a bowl of chilli while drinking this . Mouthfeel is a tad slick and the drinkability is just like the other OB products - splendid - . I am sold on craft beer in a can . OB has a fan for life with the stuff that they put in a can . This makes my hobby so much fun .

Now where is the Ten Fidy in a can in MA. ?

Cheers again to Oskar Blues . Gordon is still my fav of all time but the Dales and the Old Chub are right behind Gordo .

C'mon the hoops !!!! ...

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Dark, Rich, Intense looking dark copper color with a full head
Aroma: Sweet, caramel, rich malt
Taste: Intense, yet balanced. This is what a Scotch Ale should be!
Mouthfeel: Medium heavy in body, with moderate carbonation.
Overall: Phenomenal, Phenomenal, Phenominal

4.69/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I admit to being a bit of a sucker for a good Scottish Ale and after having an Old Chub this afternoon I remembered why it is one of my favorites. For starts it has plenty of malted barley to satisfy even the most discerning of malt heads and has a nice hint of coffee and cocoa. While many of you are tired of hearing about beechwood aged beer Oskar Blues has a much better use for beechwood and that is in the form of a beechwood smoked malt that adds just a hint of a smoke taste to this fabulous Scottish Ale. A word of warning though is Old Chub goes down so smooth you are likely to forget it has an 8% ABV so be careful.

Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew