Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."

Added by Todd on 12-13-2003

Ratings: 5,214 |  Reviews: 1,676

1.01/5  rDev -74.8%

1.37/5  rDev -65.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.51/5  rDev -62.3%

This pours a dark brown with auburn tones under light and thin light brown head. The aroma is of dark roasted malt, molasses, and licorice. The flavor begins with dark chocolate followed by anise and molasses with a bit of brandy in the finish, strange. It has a full mouthfeel with some alcohol warmth. Oskar Blues Old Chub,while a good example of the style, is a so-so beer. Not recommended.

1.51/5  rDev -62.3%

YUCK!!!

I had this beer on tap an thought it was da' bomb, but then I bought some cans and...blech!

Basically I bought a six pack of diacetyl--a big glass full a' butta', that's what I bought. Disgusting.

Not sure what to do with the rest of the cans (I will try to get a refund).

Hey Oskar, ever hear of a diacetyl rest???

Ugh! I REALLY feel nauseated. No joke. This might have been the worst beer experience of my life (and the only reason I drank half a can of this swill is because I was hoping that it would begin to taste like I knew that it was supposed to taste...like when I had it on tap). No dice.

This six is for sh*t.

EDIT: I tried a more recent batch of this beer and the diacetyl problem seems to have been fixed (or was it merely a fresher batch I sampled with the diacetyl not having the time/opportunity to form??) The horrendous experience of the first six pack makes me loathe to change my review, but I'm convinced that this beer **does** seem to be a crap shoot--if you get lucky and get a hold of a fresh/well-handled version of this beer it *can** be quite good.

1.71/5  rDev -57.3%

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte.

Pours a clear, deep brown color with ruby highlights. Very little head that recedes very quickly leaving behind spotty lacing

The nose is very dark and rich; comprised mostly of caramel, sweet dark fruit, and chocolate. Very, very sweet. There is a slightly smokey aroma that tries to poke through, but the overlwhelmingly sweet aromas seem to choke it out, beating it into submission.

The flavor is very much like the nose; Sweet. Big cloyingly sweet flavors clash with each other. There is some caramel, chocolate, brown sugar, toffee and just a hint of smoke. This beer has the potential to be complex and flavorful, but the overwhelming sweetness seems to steal the show. Medium/full bodied and mildly carbonated. Almost a syrupy mouthfeel. I had a hard time finishing the glass.

1.75/5  rDev -56.3%

1.85/5  rDev -53.8%

12 oz can, poured into a shaker pint at ~45 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a deep hickory brown, and forms a massive tan head with both good retention and crazy lacing as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Toffee and caramel malts, and more than a hint of something floral.

Taste: And yep, that'd be what I imagine floral perfume tastes like. Faintly, under the barrage of rancid garbage runoff - sorry, I mean hops, it's just reflex to type the other thing - there's something that vaguely resembles toffee and chocolate malt. But any hope of getting any malt complexity died when the bushels and bushels and bushels and bushels of hops were poured into the tun.

Mouthfeel: Odd. This starts out feeling medium-bodied, and transforms into a soda-like thinness by the end.

Overall: Nope. I drink these styles of beer expressly for the malt. As soon as enough hops to start coming forward to join the party, I'm out.

Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew