Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Reviews: 2,535 | Ratings: 9,602
4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Two cans, 10/24/14 "Werewolf Serum" and 9/16/13 "Fidy6 Makem Holla." Pours black with a huge brown head. Smells of pure roasted malt and cocoa. The taste follows closely with roasted malt, cocoa, and some earthy hops. The 2013 can had a noticeably stronger cocoa flavor. Nice body but lots of carbonation for the style. Fantastic smell/taste overall. Definitely one of the better non-BA stouts and easy to find. I wish Oskar Blues would can a nitro version of this.

Also had a 2012 can in Aug of 2016, dated 10/26/12 "Infioyous." Had a little less carbonation in the pour. Still retained lots of cocoa and some roasted malt flavor, but had oxidation in the smell/taste. Noticeable smoother/rounder. Almost like a smooth cocoa wine. It's a little past it's prime, but held up okay with 4 years on it.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have really been wanting to try this beer, then lo and behold I saw it on tap at a local brewery. Dark as night and unexpectedly fruity for an imperial stout. Lots of chocolate and coffee and so many other delicious things. Felt no carbonation and didn't have the bitter clinging after taste that most imperial's have. Glad I got to try it.

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The body is as dark as a cup of coffee in a mineshaft at 2 am. The finger and a half head is cocoa brown and sinks down to a comfortable skim.

The aroma is a mix of licorice, molasses, and roasted barley smothered in a mocha blanket.

The taste is all about bakers chocolate, black coffee, roasty toasty barley, and it could not possibly get any better. The slight hop slap on the ass end is a welcome surprise.

Mouthfeel is smooth as greased glass.

Overall this brew most certainly lived up to it's reputation. Outstanding.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Good beer,
Love the oily black pour, lightly carbonated.. still a bit bubbly on the mouth. .
Coffee undertones.
Bit hoppy, but it's to be expected for an imperial. Little bitter as it Lingers...
Quality beer must try for everyone..

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of the beer stores I frequent recently started to carry Oskar Blues. I was a little disappointed to see a canning date of 08/25/2013, so it is almost 1 year old.

Poured black with a thin caramel head.
Smells of chocolate and coffee.
Tastes chocolatey and boozy. Fairly well balanced.
Full of mouth feel and drank surprisingly easy.

Would like to try a fresh one in the future. Great beer, but for the price, I will look elsewhere in the future.

3.62/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

UPDATE TO MY LAST REVIEW: I disliked this beer so much because it was so bitter and so disgustingly piney that I aged the beer for two years. I'm updating my original review to let everyone know that this beer becomes palatable after two years of aging. It becomes a totally different beer. The bitterness goes down tremendously and the pine notes go away. It actually becomes an ok beer. I would not buy this beer ever again but if somehow I received one I would age it. It becomes so much better. To be clear I'm a fan of tasty things (not bitter and not piney) but more of a smooth balanced flavor (sweet, malty, dark fruits, etc).

BELOW IS MY OLD REVIEW:

I saw the rating for this beer, I found it at my local beer shop, and had to buy it. I poured it into a tall glass to see it in all of its glory.

First lets go with the things I respect with this beer. This brew is inky black and the lacing on it is beautiful. It has a high 10.5% ABV also. That's where I have to stop. I respect what they are trying to do with this beer but I just can't appreciate it. Unfortunately I still have taste buds.

The negatives:
Smells like an IPA with roasted characteristics
Tastes like an IPA with dark characteristics (cocoa and some malt)
HIGH amount of hops and bitters. I just googled its IBU rating and its a 95!!! Holy crap, that's higher than some of the most bitter IPAs I've ever had.
$15 for a 4 pack.
It lingers in your mouth for minutes afterwards. You can literally taste it in your mouth 5 minutes after your last sip. To quote the movie Pineapple Express: "F'ing lingerer man, lingerer".

I just can't appreciate bitter beers. I just don't like to consume bitter things. The first thing I thought when I took my first sip was: "OMG, what sort of weirdo enjoys this!?". I'm a cook, I love cooking! The best way I could describe this in terms of a culinary meal would be like this: Go to a evergreen tree and take about 20 pine needles. Then take a teaspoon of pure cocoa powder. Put both of them in your mouth and chew. If you tell me that is delicious I'd think you need a health checkup. That is this beer in a nutshell. Incredibly piney with bitter cocoa. It just about turns your face inside out.

I had high hopes for this but I'm let down. Its one of those "America, F ya!!" sort of beers. Where they just put as much hops as possible just because its the American thing to do.

If I want a dark chocolate beer I'll just stick with my girly Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate stout. :) I had no idea that this beer was going to be this bitter (95 IBU!!), I would have never paid 15 dollars for a 4 pack if I had known. I need to grow a thick beard and ride a unicycle before I can enjoy this level of manliness. I don't know how someone can pretend to enjoy this. I can't imagine what sort of food they call "good food". Meh, to each their own I guess.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a jet black, almost like motor oil with a mocha head. Very viscous looking. Aroma is of roasted chocolate and coffee. There's also some slight dank hoppy smell. Taste is very robust and complex. Roasted coffee, chocolate, and the dank hops come through a little on the finish. Fairly bitter, but not off-putting. Maybe a slight bit of alcohol burn, but at 10.5%, it's pretty well hidden. Mouthfeel is decent, but could use a little more creaminess. Overall, very good Imperial Stout and I definitely have again and again.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours oily black and thick, with a few fingers of mahogany head that's here and gone. Aroma is booze, anise, smoke, bitter powdered cocoa, and coffee. Taste is nowhere near as boozy as the aroma, with lots of baker's chocolate and burnt coffee beans coming through with some toffee. Feel is thick and slick. Extremely satisfying.

wow thats a strong beer! Has the color of dark molasses. Smells and tastes to me like baking chocolate, alcohol, and coffee, with a hint of char, licorice, and rolled up fruit preserves. Quite bitter. Pretty distinct beer, a little stronger than I usually prefer, but it was worth trying for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Jet black. Black as coal. Impossibly dark. Substantial chocolate-brown head which stuck around for quite a while. Resilient, unmoving lacing. Gorgeous, everything an imperial should be.

S: Chocolate and dark coffee. Slight hop notes. Smells sticky and grainy.

T: Extremely balanced imperial. Equal parts coffee, chocolate, and malt. Absolutely delicious. Sweet and dark and rich. Booze is only present in the aftertaste, and given that this beer is 10.50%, it is subdued. Nice hop balance on this one, more substantial than most imperials. Compared to Rasputin, this is a noticeably hoppy beer, but in a very dank way.

M: Carbonation is fairly light. Creates a beautifully creamy texture. Perfection. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, sticky and dark.

O: A truly phenomenal beer. As close to perfection as I could ask for. Sweet and rich and full. I will buy as much as I can, whenever I see it.

4.94/5  rDev +14.1%

Finally got a hold of one of these.. Being originally from Boulder, this was a special one. 4 pack savored in June '16. Interesting that my canned four pack was packaged 10/7/15. This little detail really gets me thinking. What are you up to, Oscar Blues Brewery, you rascals, you.

This is the strongest 5 i've ever given for feel. It's perfection reinvented, evolved, torn down, reinvented again, reborn, reperfected. Its true nature evades description and can be found only in experience.
The taste is beyond exquisite. An extremely high 5. 97th percentile-ish i'd say. Triumphant over Old Rasp or Narwhal by a good margin. No small feat. Fort George's Cavatica is a dog chasing this car. Renegade's RIS chases closer. Even More Jesus territory.
Smell is impeccable. ever so slightly harsh. Still impeccable.
Looks Beautiful. got this baby to a 4 inch, creeeeaaaamy, bubble rich, roaming, foam. wait, is this a fucking root beer float? Upon slurping, this foamy draught will give you things its solely liquid progenitor could never dream up.
This beer is Home.
Drink On,
Friends!

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From the can, it pours a "gosh it absorbs all the light!" brown with a moderately sized brown head, which doesn't last long, but leaves a bit of lacing. Roasty scent. Taste is rich, thick, roasted malt with a bite of hops. Dangerously easy to drink despite it's alcohol level. .

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

BA was down last night and I was too lazy to grab a pencil/paper as I enjoyed..but man this was top notch as a non BBA RIS. SO RICH AND THICK, blacker than the blackest blackety black, with a Carmel head and sticky lacing. My lips were literally sticking to my glass as I reluctantly pulled away. ABV seemed subdued and IBUs, by my best guess, were swallowed up by the dense black hole that is this RIS. I vaguely remember several months ago my bottle shop guy said he had some BA Ten Fidy that he would recommend, and, well, I'm a moron. I really wish time travel was possible...maybe if I get swallowed by this black hole it will take me into a wormhole and ?..BEST RIS IN A 12 oz CAN IMHO.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

10.5% abv, 65 ibu, 355ml can (canned 10/20/2015)
A - pitch black, indeed like motor oil, with dark brown finger head, sticky lacing on the glass. ting bubble, identification of smoothness.
S - metallic, molasses (body as well), brown sugar, honey, coffee, black chocolate, dark dried fruit (raisin), roasty, leather, caramel, toffee, earthy, soy sauce savory.
T - wow! oily, creamy, smooth, syrupy, viscous, mouthful, almost like chewy. mild carbonation, medium heavy body. bittersweet, roast, smoky, syrup, licorice, coat on the tongue. dry, left with hoppiness. n u can feel the heat run down the throat.
O - WOW. OMG. really high expectation on this, since every frds said this is fabulous, in fact, this is more than expectation!! so damn good! top 2 (year-round imperial stout) right away, the other is Old Rasputin. wonderful experience, especially the appearance & the mouthful! hunting for BA version, i believe it will be better, with this as the base!

4.33/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Always available which is awesome, strong notes of the chocolate, coffee and Carmel pours extremely dark with a great mocha head. Can't wait to try the barrel aged one next

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Poured from 12oz can

L: Thick, syrupy, motor oil with dark brown sugar colored lacing and head that dissipates
S: all dark fruit, honey, molasses, and toasted malts
T: Plummy and prunes with molasses and malts. The alcohol is barely detectable, making it all the more impressive.
F: very viscous with appropriate carbonation making for a good balance for the style

Overall: One hell of a monster of a stout. At 10+% abv this is a "one and done" beer. This is well with the money they asked at $15 for 4 12oz cans.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Jet black, 2 finger mocha head, decent retention, some lacing.
AR: Chocolate, roasty malt, subtle hints of dark fruit, hints of caramel and coffee.
T: Follows nose, just a twinge of bitterness on the finish.
M: Medium body, good carbonation, creamy.

Fantastic to style RIS.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours super thick and creamy. The nose is all malt and chocolate, very appetizing. The taste is incredible. A perfect example of an RIS. The chocolate, coffee, and caramel are merely additions to a great malt backbone. How is this 98 IBUs? The bitterness is there, but it's more like a dark chocolate bitter -- not at all like an IPA that is 98 IBUs.

Overall, it exceeded expectations. I am looking forward to the bourbon barrel aged version!

4.71/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a pitch black color with a very thick, brown foamy head. Pours very thick. Head retention and lacing are both excellent. Aroma of strong roasted malts, chocolate and toffee. Big creamy taste. Silky smooth chocolate, toffee and some coffee bitterness at the end. Hides the alcohol content very well. This is very, very good.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Canned 8/25/15
Enjoyed 5/7/16
Smells of rich toffee and chocolate. Taste is bitter cocoa up front, then sweet toffee, bittersweet chocolate, roastiness/smokiness, bitter hops but not too bitter. Tons of flavor, yet good balance. Full bodied with good carbonation. In my opinion, Founders sets the bar pretty high for Imperial Stouts, but TEN FIDY is not far behind. Cheers!

3.96/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Black. Rich nose of chocolate and malt. HInt of booziness. Coffee flavor at the start with the chocolate and malt following. Definite warmth from the high ABV that's very pleasant.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got me some Fidy! Oskar Blues recently became available in South Dakota, so I had to try some Ten Fidy right away. It is 10.5% ABV, 98 IBU, pours thick and dark, smells like beer, can taste the alcohol, slightly bitter but not overwhelming, pretty good. Sure would not have guessed it is 98 IBU, seems more like 60.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

What can I add that hasn't already been said? Great solid Imperial Stout, Its tasty and really hard not to gulp. Full of flavor and super drinkable. It will be a staple in my refrigerator. I'll be stocking up next time it's run.

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this out of the typical can poured into a tulip glass at Owen & Engine Chicago. This was a beast of an Imperial Stout. With a huge chocolate coffee mouthful (probably the thickest stout in the business). This is an awesome stout and will pick this up in store soon.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

12 fl oz. can, canned on 10.07/15. Finally getting around to reviewing this classic from Oskar Blues; my first can of Ten Fidy. Acquired a single can of this stuff from the local bottle shop.

Poured into a Duvel tulip snifter.

A - Pours a thick oily black body, probably the thickest blackest beer I've ever seen poured from a can. Pours sleek and silently and conjures about a finger of dark mocha chocolate head that falls to a ring and leaves a nice surface skimming. Minor spotty lacing. Looks very nice.

S - Aroma is all malt-forward: roasty, musty, a slight floral alcohol note to it, though i wouldn't attribute any of it to hops. There are subtle hints at milk chocolate & cream, but the earthy / musty / band-aid fumes seem to dominate just a bit. Hints of dark fruits: raisins, dates, figs.

T - Taste is smooth, creamy, sticky, sugary, sweet. Notes of chocolate, vanilla, marshmallow fluff, dark barley roast, malt bitterness, notes of dark fruits: raisin, dates, figs.

M - Mouthfeel is ridiculously smooth & creamy. Not coarse or rough in any way, no lingering char or bitterness. Smooth, milky, & creamy feel all around. Exceptionally easy-drinking stuff for the high abv. Sticky, sugary, sweet, very thick body. Definitely a dessert beer.

Overall, a nice big bad canned imperial stout; easily the best beer I've had from Oskar Blues so far, and well-deserving of the good ratings and reputation that it has. I don't know why i waited so long to try this classic.

Oskar Blues Ten Fidy -----4.5/5