Ten FIDY

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Ten FIDYTen FIDY
Notes: This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.
Reviews: 2,697 | Ratings: 10,193 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by sammyg832:
sammyg832 from Arizona

Jun 26, 2014
ThePaintedGrey from Pennsylvania

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz. can poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pardon my language, but HOLY SHIT this beer is DARK. There's no color, no light shining through during the iPhone flashlight test, and absolutely no highlights either. What. The. Hell. This brew is scary! A moderately vigorous pour results in a monstrous light brown head that's dense and creamy and takes ages to deflate. Leaves tons of lacing in its wake.

S: Delectably rich semi-sweet chocolate syrup and roasted malts up front create a boisterous and powerful aroma. A little bit of roasted coffee and Earthy hops come through as well. One of the most delightful aromas I've experienced.

T: This is unbelievable... These flavors are off the charts. HUGE waves of rich, decadent chocolate. Those Earthy hops creep in that add just enough bitterness to offset the chocolatey sweetness. The middle offers a few molasses-like notes, but primarily consist of the initial chocolate hop medley. It's all beginning to feel a little too sweet, but then... the finish offers a wonderful deviation from the candied bliss and transitions to an absolutely phenomenal freshly-ground roasted coffee. Bliss. Pure Bliss.

M: The body is full, and it might actually be more accurate to describe it as huge. The closest thing to a flaw I can find here is that it's not as creamy and rich as I had hoped and the carbonation is just a hair above my comfort level in a RIS, but even still, I can't drop it below "outstanding." Oskar Blues just knows what they're doing.

O: I'm having a hard time processing my thoughts into words right now... I've always held Stone's offering of this style in the highest regard, but I think it has been replaced. I don't know what the folks down at Oskar Blues are doing, but they're doing it right. Every aspect of this brew is so powerful and each flavor is so intense that it borders unbearable, but then it transitions into something new and it just all adds up to a divine experience. I'm simply in awe right now, and slightly sad that I've taken the last sip whilst typing my conclusion... If you haven't had this yet, stop what you're doing right now and buy it.

Jul 18, 2014
BeerAdvocate from Massachusetts

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Beer review from BA Mag Dec 2007.

An Imperial Stout in a can--you've gotta love that.

Pours a motor oil consistency, ink black, dark as Satan's heartless soulless pit, liquid that's crowned with a thick, rich-looking coffee-colored head--hold the cream and sugar. Aroma is surprisingly soft with some fresh grain, hint of smoke and estery, dark ripe fruits taunting in the back. Creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied, viscous, with a rich malty base. Tangy molasses, molten chocolate cake, major roastiness going on with more smoke, char, double espresso and burnt raisins. Overripe black cherries. Bitter, but not puckering, more of an overall acridness that engulfs the palate. Hop presence is leafy, herbal, earthy, with a hint of lemon--barely detectable in the black chaos. Alcohol is well hidden, but sneaks into your brain eventually with a warming fuzz. Finish is exactly like you just had a double chocolate chip cookie in your mouth.

This one puts the "A" in "Holy crap!"

Aug 01, 2010
Raime from Greenland

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oskar Blues TenFIDY.

At long, longggggggg last I finally get to try this highly acclaimed juggernaut of a beer. Only took me three or four years haha. Anyway, scored a 4 pack for 15.99. Did not go into the store with intentions on buying this..and then I saw it sitting there looking lonely and calling my name like your mom after I dumped her when we had you. Enough fucking talk, let us get to it.

Look - I've said abyss. I've said motor oil. I've said darkness, pitch black, and your wives blown out vagina. But this right here is officially the blackest beer I have ever seen. Poura blacker than Charlie Murphy out of the twelve ounce can into a pint glass with the deepest, darkest mocha head I have ever given my witness testimony to seeing. Carbonation will obviously be impossible to read given the supreme depth of this beer. The stick is moderate in nature and clings to the glass quite well.

Smell - Woahwoahwoah...I've never seen hops like this in ANY stout before. Big grapefruit and floral notes right off the bat met in the middle by roasted malts and chocolate and coffee and this and that. This is most definitely the MOST UNIQUE nose I have ever come across in any beer I have ever cracked open. Well...this will be an interesting flavor profile.

Taste - Tropical mango and grapefruit piths really stand out in this beer. Honestly I think this may be one of the most tropical beers I have ever tasted. After the initial tropical assault you are met by the chocolate and roast though they stay tame relative to the hops. There is a huge vanilla note as well that really dominates the mouth as you continue into the beer. A palate wrecking stout? Well that's certainly new. It tastes like mixing a ' Lil Sumpin Extra! ' with a ' Stone IRS '. This is an incredibly sweet beer with a melding of bitterness. They do not cancel out and instead join into a unison of boozey goodness. The alcohol isn't present at all.

Feel - The feel os this beer is thick with a higher than any other level of creamyness. The fresh hops once again dominate this aspect and the malts are turned down from the taste though there is an ever present roasted smokiness. The beer swallows once again very sweet and very bitter in an odd unison that I have never encountered beforw in anything I have drank. Should also add that the carbonation doesn't appear to even be a factor in this one. Beer is so damn thick it gave me a mustache.

Overall - This is easily the most unique beer I have ever had. With that said, if you know a hophead who hates stouts or a stouthead who hates IPAs this would be the gift to give them for christmas. Ultra hopped and fresh to death. Nice melding of the sweetness amd the bitterness. I've drank some bitter and some sweet beers before but this one was king in both categories, nearly choking me up a few times. This is not your typical high ABV dark stout. This is a whole new dimension of beer making.

Note: I will likely update ratings as I continue into the four pack.

Nov 13, 2015
StuartCarter from Alabama

10w40 mixed with dark chocolate, dark coffee, dark fruit, and a hint of degenerate matter from a neutron star.

One isn't enough, two is too many!

Dec 10, 2014
Dave_Lennert from Oregon

I get tired of drinking stouts that are less than the best. Thank God for Ten FIDY.

I get tired of dark beers that are merely opaque. This sucks the light out of the room like all black holes.

The taste is so smooth and easy, you feel it is a part of you. You don't notice you're drinking it; only the bliss remains. (And the after effect of 10.5 ABV.)

May it be stocked everywhere, at all times. Amen.

Apr 11, 2015
beercam from Washington

4.94/5  rDev +12.3%

Finally got a hold of one of these.. Being originally from Boulder, this was a special one. 4 pack savored in June '16. Interesting that my canned four pack was packaged 10/7/15. This little detail really gets me thinking. What are you up to, Oscar Blues Brewery, you rascals, you.

This is the strongest 5 i've ever given for feel. It's perfection reinvented, evolved, torn down, reinvented again, reborn, reperfected. Its true nature evades description and can be found only in experience.
The taste is beyond exquisite. An extremely high 5. 97th percentile-ish i'd say. Triumphant over Old Rasp or Narwhal by a good margin. No small feat. Fort George's Cavatica is a dog chasing this car. Renegade's RIS chases closer. Even More Jesus territory.
Smell is impeccable. ever so slightly harsh. Still impeccable.
Looks Beautiful. got this baby to a 4 inch, creeeeaaaamy, bubble rich, roaming, foam. wait, is this a fucking root beer float? Upon slurping, this foamy draught will give you things its solely liquid progenitor could never dream up.
This beer is Home.
Drink On,
Friends!

Jun 29, 2016
ukwildcatsr1 from Kentucky

4.87/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

God, I wanted to hate this beer because at $15 a four pack it's a little out of my price range for drinking often. But, as the reviewers before me can attest, this is an outstanding beer that is one of the finest beers I've ever drank and definitely the finest I've ever had from a can. I look forward to dropping large sums of money on this in the future.

Jun 02, 2015
Fear4Beer from Pennsylvania

3.62/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

UPDATE TO MY LAST REVIEW: I disliked this beer so much because it was so bitter and so disgustingly piney that I aged the beer for two years. I'm updating my original review to let everyone know that this beer becomes palatable after two years of aging. It becomes a totally different beer. The bitterness goes down tremendously and the pine notes go away. It actually becomes an ok beer. I would not buy this beer ever again but if somehow I received one I would age it. It becomes so much better. To be clear I'm a fan of tasty things (not bitter and not piney) but more of a smooth balanced flavor (sweet, malty, dark fruits, etc).

BELOW IS MY OLD REVIEW:

I saw the rating for this beer, I found it at my local beer shop, and had to buy it. I poured it into a tall glass to see it in all of its glory.

First lets go with the things I respect with this beer. This brew is inky black and the lacing on it is beautiful. It has a high 10.5% ABV also. That's where I have to stop. I respect what they are trying to do with this beer but I just can't appreciate it. Unfortunately I still have taste buds.

The negatives:
Smells like an IPA with roasted characteristics
Tastes like an IPA with dark characteristics (cocoa and some malt)
HIGH amount of hops and bitters. I just googled its IBU rating and its a 95!!! Holy crap, that's higher than some of the most bitter IPAs I've ever had.
$15 for a 4 pack.
It lingers in your mouth for minutes afterwards. You can literally taste it in your mouth 5 minutes after your last sip. To quote the movie Pineapple Express: "F'ing lingerer man, lingerer".

I just can't appreciate bitter beers. I just don't like to consume bitter things. The first thing I thought when I took my first sip was: "OMG, what sort of weirdo enjoys this!?". I'm a cook, I love cooking! The best way I could describe this in terms of a culinary meal would be like this: Go to a evergreen tree and take about 20 pine needles. Then take a teaspoon of pure cocoa powder. Put both of them in your mouth and chew. If you tell me that is delicious I'd think you need a health checkup. That is this beer in a nutshell. Incredibly piney with bitter cocoa. It just about turns your face inside out.

I had high hopes for this but I'm let down. Its one of those "America, F ya!!" sort of beers. Where they just put as much hops as possible just because its the American thing to do.

If I want a dark chocolate beer I'll just stick with my girly Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate stout. :) I had no idea that this beer was going to be this bitter (95 IBU!!), I would have never paid 15 dollars for a 4 pack if I had known. I need to grow a thick beard and ride a unicycle before I can enjoy this level of manliness. I don't know how someone can pretend to enjoy this. I can't imagine what sort of food they call "good food". Meh, to each their own I guess.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Jul 24, 2016
spacecake9 from Illinois

4.75/5  rDev +8%

A - Pours midnight black with a wonderful thick brown foamy head.
S - Aroma is of roasted coffee and chocolate.
T - I taste bitter or burnt chocolate.
M - Not as chewy as I expected, more medium body.
O - This is an outstanding Imperial Stout, can't think of one better.

Nov 21, 2014
CTHomer from Connecticut

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: deep brown - virtually black; 1 finger dark tan head that receded to a wispy cap; thick lacing that dissipated quickly;

S: bittersweet chocolate with roasted grain and hint of coffee behind it;

T: roasted grains up front; from mid-palate through the finish, it's like drinking malted milk balls;

M: full bodied - coats your mouth; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: in a word, fantastic;

Jun 28, 2015
DrinkThemAll from California

4.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz can into a snifter.

Poured a used motor oil opaque black, with a beautiful tan cinnamon colored head. Extremely sexy looking brew.

Smells of bitter chocolate, sweet roasted malts, molasses, maybe some charred oak, raisins and plum. Coffee and sweet toffee. Pretty complex. Smells like a barrel aged stout. Slight burn from the Alcohol on the nose.

Taste like Molasses, sweet roasted malty caramel, Slighty oaky with a clean dry chocolate bitterness. Creamy coffee and bad to the bone. Extremely good and heavy bodied. A solid RIS, in a CAN!

Sep 13, 2016
jjanicik from California

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is the real deal. Alcohol does not stand out at all. Chocolate up front - subtle coffee. Smoother than Evil Twin Jesus series which I love to drink. Great price in comparison to similar Imperial Stouts.

Mar 16, 2018
Rogerlb from California

4.19/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewing for the record, but you all already know this is pretty much a great RIS. I found a 4-pack at the local Bristol's in Westwood and had to get this before it disappeared. $17 for 4. Its reputation precedes it.

Pours black, the lacing is a torn curtain of perfection. Brown 1-finger head. Aroma is what you expect, coffee, chocolate, some rum, malt. Nothing wrong or unexpected.

Taste is char, malt, toffee, coffee, tobacco. Baker's chocolate in there, thick malts, smoky but not burnt, how to describe it? Steak, bread and your morning cold coffee thrown in. Hoppy bitter is lurking but nothing makes you throw it against the room. It's polite Russian imperialism. Incredibly well balanced, 10.5% is really hidden, no cola, no real sweetness, no metal. A deceptively simple, gateway Russian stout.

People who like more dark fruit might prefer Old Rasputin. Firestone's Parabola is richer, and just as hard to get a hold of. Ten Fidy has less character but also no false notes. Maybe nothing to fall in love with? Except a fine middle-of-the-road Russian stout.

Sep 09, 2016
AustinWadkins from Iowa

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours jet black with a frothy thick mocha colored head that holds and then falls into a silky blanket. Great lacing, very sticky.

Smell is of dark fruits, coffee,roasted malts and possibly some bakers chocolate

Taste includes dark fruits, roasted coffee and malts, with a vodka like booze taste. I did however get a metallic taste which was probably contributed by the aluminum can

Overall this beer was fantastic! Silly, smooth, and wayyy to drinkable! This blew my expectations and with that abv you can't go wrong!

Dec 28, 2016
thehyperduck from Canada

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz can purchased at the LCBO; canned 10/05/2017 and served just below cellar temperature.

Pours as black as a moonless, clear night sky, crowned with just over a finger's worth of foamy, brown-coloured head. It melts away at a near-infinitesimal pace, resulting in a dense, creamy cap about a quarter-inch high, as well as a full coat of gorgeous lacing. On the nose, I'm getting lots of blackstrap molasses and caramelized sugar, in addition to roasted malt notes of rich chocolate, tobacco, espresso and charred wood. Hints of herbal hops, licorice root, vanilla and alcohol, with suggestions of prune and oatmeal.

Now THIS is an imperial stout - it doesn't hold anything back; subtlety is beneath this beer. Molasses, prune/plum and roasted malt flavours come through at first, with decadent dark chocolate and espresso notes. Aggressively bitter on the back end, with herbal, leafy, somewhat earthy hops, together with hints of licorice, burnt grain, vanilla and coffee grounds. Flavourful, bittersweet finish; the potent ethanol content warms the palate and esophagus, and also has a numbing effect on the tongue, while still managing to integrate with the roasted malts beautifully. Luxuriously full-bodied, with soft carbonation and a thick, viscous, silky-smooth texture that makes this imperial stout far more drinkable than it has any right to be.

Final Grade: 4.57, a rare A+. Ten FIDY has been the subject of rave reviews for more than a decade, receiving accolades that go back to when I was but a fledgling BA. I never dreamed I'd see it in Ontario, but *hot damn* am I glad that I've finally had a chance to try this utterly fantastic Russian imperial stout. While well-established, highly lauded beer labels like this one don't always live up to the hype, this is one case where the hype is totally justified - I would be hard-pressed to come up with suggestions for improvement, because it's basically perfect as-is. An absolute must-try for anyone who has ever enjoyed a strong stout.

Printed on the base of the can: "Space is really dark, man..." You think it's dark now? Just wait 10^40 years, when the universe is knocking on heat death's door and only black holes remain. Yes, I just brought up theoretical cosmology on BA. Cheers!

Feb 15, 2017
jwilcox767 from Ohio

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep black, dark head
S - Roasted coffee and malt, slight caramel
T - Same as the smell, but very well balanced and not overly boozy.
M - Nice carbonation, sticky, coating
O - Awesome beer, definitely will get more.

May 13, 2017
pat61 from Minnesota

L: Pours pitch coal tar black crowned by a 1” tan foam collar that fairly quickly dissipates to a film
S: Light chocolate, roast and wine notes.
T: A little chocolate, some dark dried fruits, very nice malt and alcohol flavors. Has a little wine thing going on.
F: Juicy, slight warming, creamy, oily, with very fine carbonation, medium to medium low overall, medium full body.
O: A very fine Russian Imperial Stout.

Jul 19, 2015
EmeraldMist from Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look - Pours the blackest black with a short brown head, no lacing. Visible alcohol legs.

Smell - Loads of roasted malt, ashy, burnt coffee, sweet fruity alcohol.

Taste - Like the aroma only stronger. Gigantic roasted malt body, bittersweet dark chocolate, alcohol is noticeable but this is such a big beer that it fits right in, bitterness towards the end but no hop flavors I can pick up, aftertaste lasts into oblivion with burnt brownie edges and charred malts.

Feel - Full bodied, chewy, very slick and oily on the palate, good amount of alcohol warmth.

Overall - This is a huge beer. Not very complex, but it will cure a stout craving in no time. Powerful.

Apr 26, 2017
Vinny27 from Canada

4.62/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Une très bonne stout au café. Riche et rond. On ne goûte pas le 10.5%. Elle a une belle couleur noire, belle mousse brune foncée. Le goût est intenses malts torréfié, café et légèrement le cacao.

Mar 29, 2017
Brondeau from Connecticut

4.69/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Almost a perfect stout. I enjoy stouts a great deal and this is one I keep coming back to. Pours like motor oil. Flavor is perfectly balanced between sweet and bitter. Heavy and thick mouthfeel with above average carbonation to lighten it into an easy drinker. This is a feat for a 10.5 ABV imperial stout.

Overall this is near perfect. Not quite as complex as a KBS but doesn't have to be. I could drink this every day of the year. I can't say that for the KBS which I love in its own way.

Wonderful.

May 25, 2015
Mehinaman from Washington

Finally got to try this one and it immediately entered my top 5 stouts list. Has a sweetness to it, but is not overly sweet. As much as I love chocolate and/or coffee stouts, it was nice to have one with no flavoring. Can't wait to grab more of these.

Jul 24, 2015
crisis1290 from South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

By far , one of my all time favorite RIP. There isn't much that can be said, that already has not been said about this gem !
Super black pour. Super fluffy head. Could be at least 2 1/2 -3 fingers ! One of the prettiest pours in all my days of drinking RIP. What makes this so speacial is how balanced this one is. Many RIP are super boozy and remain boozy from start to finish. This one is amazingly well balanced. Big fan !!

Apr 30, 2017
Oregonbrewdude91 from Oregon

4.98/5  rDev +13.2%

Just epic beyond belief, this is my favourite imperial stout hands down l, if you can find this exceptional stout buy some. 5/5 O.B.D91

Apr 05, 2015
UCLABrewN84 from California

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours an extremely thick black color with a 1 inch super dark khaki head that fades to an oily cap on the top of the beer. Chunky dark khaki streaks of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smells of dark roasted malt, cocoa powder, and dark fruits. Taste is of dark roasted malt, dark cocoa powder, dark fruits, and slight coffee on the finish. Very little bitterness on the palate after each sip. Mouthfeel is extremely thick and creamy. Probably one of the thickest beers I have ever had. Overall, this is an awesome RIS and my favorite beer from Oskar Blues.

May 12, 2011