Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

#271
4.5

Ratings: 9,911 |  Reviews: 2,623
4.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just a Awesome stout. Its the gift that never quits giving. Every time I have it I am reminded, yes, there is such thing as a superior stout over all the other good stouts.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%

Pour looks like tar with dark tan head that holds on well. Smells of roast and alcohol. Tastes fantastic, chocolate and roast coffee, the alcohol is there but well hidden. This is up there with the best mouthfeels I've had, it's smooth and really creamy and a nice little bitter chocolate at the end.

Overall, this is the best imperial stout I've had, excellent taste, excellent appearance, and excellent mouthfeel. I also like that it's canned, makes it very portable if I'm on an outdoor adventure.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Almost onyx. Thick and syrupy. Abundant head that dissipates into fantastic lacing. A pretty beer!

S: Even though I'm drinking this from a snifter I'm not overwhelmed by the smell. That being said it is still a pleasant aroma of molasses and chicory.

T: Up front, chocolate coffee and light smokiness. On the finish dark fruit but not sweet. Awesome!!

M: Sticky! Sticks to the inside of your mouth like it does to the side of your glass. Wow!

O: this is what I want in a stout. As winter approaches and I switch to stouts porters and barley wines this beer does not disappoint. To me it lives up to the hype.

4.71/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a pitch black color with a very thick, brown foamy head. Pours very thick. Head retention and lacing are both excellent. Aroma of strong roasted malts, chocolate and toffee. Big creamy taste. Silky smooth chocolate, toffee and some coffee bitterness at the end. Hides the alcohol content very well. This is very, very good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A strong arm of a stout. Love affair born? Yup.

My first sip of this beer was on draft at LA's Fathers Office, however I only like to review a beer whileI am drinking it. Next came my county wide man-hunt to find this bad boy. After a cruise to huntington beach (followed by lunch at Beachwood BBQ), I was able to stock my fridge with 8 of these bad boys. I cracked one open while preparing some ribs for a "family" cookout and the first sip was just as good as i remembered. I credit Craftsman with making room on my IPA loving palate but I have to credit Oskar Blues for teaching me that love is real. If that can had arms, I'd hug it.

Even gave a taste to my Dog Archie. He wanted more.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: Midnight and black magic. Scientists studying dark matter should examine the contents of this can. Head? What head? We don't need no stinkin' head!

Smell: Like a chocolate malt. Nothing more needs to be said.

Taste: At once chocolatey and roasty. Closest correlate is Ghiradelli's Bittersweet Chocolate gracing a fantastic mocha cappuccino. Coffee finish with slight savory undertones.

Mouthfeel: Just enough carbonation to remind you that you are not, in fact, chugging a chocolate coffee shake. Smooth like Billy Dee Williams.

Overall: Until I get me some whales, this is the standard by which all other Imperial Stouts shall be judged.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz can into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to DoctorDog for hooking me up with this not so little gem. Can is black and silver with the image of the sun rising over a mountain. Bottled on 10-30-08 printed on the bottom along with the cryptic phrase "Who does #2 work for?"

Appearance: Looks like pouring motor oil in to a glass. Pours with just under 1 finger of dark brown head. This settles slowly, eventually dropping to a ring around the glass and a small island of foam above the nucleation site. The beet itself is black, completely and absolutely black. No sediment remains in the can.

Smell: Rich, sweet malt aroma with hints of molasses, figs, and tobacco. Alcohol is present in the finish.

Taste: Building flavor upfront, comes at you gradually rather than suddenly assaulting the taste buds. Strong flavors of licorice, molasses, and dark candi sugar. Alcohol is hidden very well, considering the 10.0 % ABV, but is barley discernible in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Slightly lower than average carbonation level, as expected for this style. Body is incredibly thick and clinging.

Drinkability: A wonderful sipper, too bad it doesn't make it to Ohio. I would love to age a can of this and see how beer in cans ages.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Quite simply the finest stout one can ever hope to come across in this life. Words do not do it justice. So while I can wax poetic about its oil-like pour, the alluring brown head, the notes of chocolate, coffee, tobacco, and what can only be called ambrosia, and the smoothest, richest mouthfeel this side of Kathmandu, I'll refrain, and return to enjoying this true nectar of the gods.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Once you go black, you'll never go back!

Pour- I poured into a pint glass out of the can. The reviews were right, looks like motor oil!

Appearence- Couldn't pour very fast as it was the consistency of motor oil. The head was almost non-existent, but with a few swirls, a tiny, chocolate milkshake-like head appeared and remained. Of all the stouts I've reviewed, they all have had a reddish tint around the edges of the bottom of the glass...NOT THIS BEER!!! Completely black all the way through, and the head looked an orangeish, blood-like color through the glass ( Looked like a chocolate milkshake without looking through the glass). I put my finger in it out of curiosity and had the consistency of a milkshake as well.

Smell- chocolate and maybe molasses. Very sweet aroma.
Taste- syrup. Full bodied all the way across the sky! Again, like I was drinking a milkshake. Heard it referred to like drinking cough syrup. Very fulfilling and enjoyable feel.

Aftertaste- I don't know cuz I'm drunk! Nah, it was very smooth and laced your tongue and throat with a nice chocolate flavor saver.

Conclusion- Toughest looking stout I have ever seen. The Ten Fidy looks like you're getting ready to be beat into a gang. It's a no bullshit stout. It just about stained my pint glass. It turns Guinness into bud light, and makes all other stouts into it's prison bitch. If Old Rasputin is the pretty alpha whore, Ten Fidy is Clint Eastwood.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: My God, it looks like motor oil as it pours out of the can. Blacker than black and thick as molasses, this is without a doubt the darkest beer I've ever seen. It's like a black hole, absorbing all light it comes in contact with. In the glass, it pours a very minimalistic deep-caramel head with half-decent lacing and retention.

Aroma: If you melted a bar of dark chocolate and mixed it with a few drops of pure hop oil and a shot of ethanol, this is what it would smell like. Powerful is somewhat of an understatement.

Taste: Pounds of dark-roasted, bittersweet chocolate malt condensed down into an aluminum-wrapped twelve ounce serving. But don't be fooled into thinking this is just a one-dimensional beer. Somehow, the maniacal brewers have found space in the can for a big wall of hops. How can a beer as big as this seem somewhat balanced? Madness. As you'd expect for a beer in the double digit ABV realm, the booze likes to raise its voice. As it warms, it kicks your ass more and more.

Mouthfeel: I've compared other beers to milkshakes before, but they all seem like water compared to this. This is simply massive and smooth as all hell. The booze makes itself known in your throat.

Drinkability: You'd have to be some sort of God/lumberjack hybrid to be able to throw this back with ease.

Verdict: Ten Fidy is an experience, to say the least, and the best Russian Imperial I've tried yet. A massive body with a brilliant malt profile and a nice flourish of hops. If you like Russian Imperial Stouts whatsoever and can find this in your area, buy it. If you can't find it in your area, move.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew