Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

1.08/5  rDev -75.3%

1.09/5  rDev -75.1%

1.47/5  rDev -66.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I used to love this beer, what happened to it? The past 2 years I’ve bought it has been a disappointment! I remember the first time I tried it about 4 years ago it was amazing and became my favorite dark brew. It used to be so smooth and that deep double fudge cookie flavor was there. Lately it just taste metallic and awfully bitter, skunky maybe? Did they change brew masters? I live in Austin TX where Oskar Blues opened a location, could it be they’re brewing it here under a different brew master? If so it explains the drastic change in quality, I hope someone can provide me an update on this. Bring back the original recipe please! $16 for 4 cans is expensive and a damn waste for below mediocre quality.

1.75/5  rDev -60%

1.96/5  rDev -55.3%

Lots of roast which I am not a fan of.

2.08/5  rDev -52.5%

This beer pours thick like gasoline, and I must say it tasted like it as well. Way to syrupy and bitter for my taste. Couldn't detect any distinct flavors.. just thick and bitter.

The level of carbonation was not great either. Just a thick, cloudy, syrupy mess. I would not have this beer again, and I would definitely not suggest this beer to anyone.

2.25/5  rDev -48.6%

2.28/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a jet black with a thin half finger nestle coca colored head that has only a slight retention that dissipates rather quickly leaving a rim that hugs the edges of the glass. Nose of sweet cocoa, espresso, slight caramel, and a bit of dark fruit. A tad earthy with a slight grassy hop presence.

Roasty flavor up front falls quickly into a bitterness that stings the tongue. Intermingled are bitter nestle cocoa, sweet molasses, and a sharp bitter coffee bean flavor that reminds me of dunkin donuts crappy iced coffee. Bitterness is fucking acrid and quite unpleasant. I was hoping this to have a lot more lactic smoothness, but there is no milkiness here, only a sharp bitterness. Roasty coffee flavors take over the aftertaste and leave the palate quite dry. Hints of caramel as you exhale strongly through the nose.

I'm not sure all the hype surrounding this beer is warranted. I've had PLENTY of better imperial stouts.

2.39/5  rDev -45.4%

2.43/5  rDev -44.5%

Lightly chilled can into a glass. 2009 vintage. Purchased on sale at $10.50 a four-pack -- appropriate price. But with the price increases and my changing palate, it's almost certainly the last time I'm buying this beer.

A: Pitch black, completely opaque when held to the light. Reminds me exactly of used motor oil. A mildly vigorous pour produces several inches of fluffy, chocolate-colored head. It recedes very slowly into a halo and broken film on the top of the brew, with little lacing down the glass. Very captivating for a 10%er.

S: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and vinous dark fruit, like raisins. The fruit is restrained, so it doesn't add a tartness to the aroma.

T: Follows the nose, but brings out some flavors I couldn't detect in the aroma. This beer is nearly sickly sweet. Dark chocolate, molasses, raisins. It has a light earthy bitterness and some smoke, but not a hell of a lot of balance. It ages nicely, but fresh this doesn't distinguish itself from others in the style.

M: Velvety smooth, creamy, and full-bodied. Low carbonation, as is appropriate for the style. A little alcohol burn (not warmth), but it's mostly well-masked. I love the toasty exhalation that follows each sip.

D: I opened one with largadeer, who wound up leaving early and making me finish the can on my own. It was very hard. That, and the price increases, and my decreasing tolerance for sickly-sweet RISes, have made me a little tired of this beer overall. I don't see myself buying this again.

2.5/5  rDev -42.9%