Love Belgian Beer?

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Reviews: 2,533 | Ratings: 9,594
4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: single finger deep tan/milk chocolate head. Very nice retention. Body is jet black with no light getting through.

S: earthy hops, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, toffee and dark chocolate. abundance of aromas.

T: strong coffee, espresso notes. The sweetness backs off in the flavor which is ok with me. roasted malts and coffee bitterness are the backbone of this one.

M: full body and moderate carbonation. smooth.

Overall: Very complex aroma with a beautiful appearance. This is an excellent Russian imperial stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 12oz. can into a snifter.

This amazing brew purs a deep, inky and oily black with about a one-finger head that fades into some lingering foam around the egde. Only a bit of spotty lacing.

The aroma is roasty malt -- the darkest of dark chocolate, roast coffee, rich black tea. There are also notes of dark dried fruit .

The taste is an assault on the tongue. Intense. Chocolate, a bit of sweet toffee and raising and then big, bitter dark chocolate. The lingering, drying bitter note on the tongue has hints of more chocolate and roast coffee and malty Assam tea.

The mouthfeel is creamy and sticky with a bit of carbonation as well.

Overall, just wow. This beer does not disappoint. One of the best stouts I've tasted.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Love pouring this 5w30 into a drinking glass.

Lovely black/drkkk brown with creamy frothing head.

Loads of malts ie. malted milk balls, dark cocoa and hop presence.
Tastes like i just ate a box of Whoppers.

10% abv and a nicely hidden 98 IBU complete this as a winner. I love hops and Whoppers and I'm glad i pulled the trigger on this one. 4 pk apx $15 could make this an every now and then. Some say way to hyped, but I'm sassified . Will purchase again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick, oily black out of the can. Big dark tan head hangs on for a while, light film on top of the deep black body till the close.

Smells awesome, really get the chocolate notes on top of the roasted malts. Hits the mouth just as thick as it looks. Medium carbonation opens up and it has a really nice feel. Massive bitterness is well blended into the stout, step for step with the sweeter flavors before taking control at the finish.

Overall, this is one of the best RISs I've had. I was apprehensive because of the can and whatever, but the hype is real. For comparison, I just finished an Old Rasputin - which I really like - and it was beyond obvious that the Ten FIDY was the superior beer.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz can (canned on 10-15-12 @ 9:15 Peanuts Envy) poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pitch black and lets no light through at all when held up to the light. Dense and thick dark tan head at first, slowly died down to a thick ring at the edge and thin skin across the top. Sheets and strands of persistent lacing. A great looking Russian Imperial Stout.

Smell: Rich roasty smell with mild alcohol notes, bittersweet chocolate, some dark fruity esters (a hint of raisin).

Taste: Rich bittersweet chocolate, smooth roasted malt, a pleasant sweetness through it all. It's just a hair on the sweet side of things, but perfectly balanced with roasted malt bitterness and some black coffee-like bitterness at the end. Simple, but very very tasty and well done.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy, thick, and smooth. Just right carbonation on the tongue at the end.

Overall / Drinkability: What an amazingly rich stout! I can see why people rave about this one. A slow sipper on a cool fall night (and would be good this winter, good thing that I bought a 4 pack) and I think would be great with food. I had it with a banana butterscotch muffin at the end and it paired pretty well. Definitely a one at a time beer - the ABV is notable pretty quickly on after starting to drink this one. It warms you up. I can't say I want another one right away....and yet....I wouldn't mind if I didn't have to go to work in the morning. One does sate though. Overall I'm very impressed with this beer from start to finish and I will definitely have to hunt this one down again when its in the area.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep dark black hole black no light anywhere near this baby, hell the heads darker then some stouts out there. Head is nice thumb sized Hersey chocolate color, it falls to a ring that leaves some lace down my snifter.

Aroma is loads of rich dark malts almost smells full bodied. Chocolate unsweetened bakers chocolate, lots of coffee dark fruits smokey notes.

Taste is wow rich thick roasted malts, coffee, chocolate lots of piny hop flavors that linger through to the finish. This is one hoppy stout but doesn't seem over done as lots of roasted malt goodness to back it up. Some smoke notes along with chewy dates and tobacco leafs.

Mouthfeel is big pours like motor oil tastes like motor oil thick nice body full of goodness. Carbonation is smooth nice and mellow enough to go unnoticed just the way i like it.

Drinkability is great in i would love to have a case of this but at 10% couldn't have many at a time though, even though my taste buds are yelling for more. Many thanks to merlin48 for letting me have this little gem to take home with me, the best IRS in a can no doubt but no slouch among the bottle versions either. If you haven't tried this what the hell you waiting for.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very nicely balanced. Dark with a creamy head and a very smooth mouthfeel. Strong coffee, chocolate and Carmel notes. Surprisingly smooth. If you like stouts, you'll love this beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz. can poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pardon my language, but HOLY SHIT this beer is DARK. There's no color, no light shining through during the iPhone flashlight test, and absolutely no highlights either. What. The. Hell. This brew is scary! A moderately vigorous pour results in a monstrous light brown head that's dense and creamy and takes ages to deflate. Leaves tons of lacing in its wake.

S: Delectably rich semi-sweet chocolate syrup and roasted malts up front create a boisterous and powerful aroma. A little bit of roasted coffee and Earthy hops come through as well. One of the most delightful aromas I've experienced.

T: This is unbelievable... These flavors are off the charts. HUGE waves of rich, decadent chocolate. Those Earthy hops creep in that add just enough bitterness to offset the chocolatey sweetness. The middle offers a few molasses-like notes, but primarily consist of the initial chocolate hop medley. It's all beginning to feel a little too sweet, but then... the finish offers a wonderful deviation from the candied bliss and transitions to an absolutely phenomenal freshly-ground roasted coffee. Bliss. Pure Bliss.

M: The body is full, and it might actually be more accurate to describe it as huge. The closest thing to a flaw I can find here is that it's not as creamy and rich as I had hoped and the carbonation is just a hair above my comfort level in a RIS, but even still, I can't drop it below "outstanding." Oskar Blues just knows what they're doing.

O: I'm having a hard time processing my thoughts into words right now... I've always held Stone's offering of this style in the highest regard, but I think it has been replaced. I don't know what the folks down at Oskar Blues are doing, but they're doing it right. Every aspect of this brew is so powerful and each flavor is so intense that it borders unbearable, but then it transitions into something new and it just all adds up to a divine experience. I'm simply in awe right now, and slightly sad that I've taken the last sip whilst typing my conclusion... If you haven't had this yet, stop what you're doing right now and buy it.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

My cousin did it again. Along with the Gordon's he put in his kegerator, he also put this in.

Looks black like the bowels of hell it came from...in a good way.

Smells like heaven in a glass. Malty and sweet smelling.

Tastes like dark chocolate mixed with coffee and a touch of hops in the background.

Thick and magnificent. A few of these and you've had a meal.

I had a few of these, and was full, but very, very content.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Look: exceptional. Dark, with a thick dark caramel head that sticks around for a while. Beautiful.

Smell: Not picking up much aroma, but this is my weak area. Mostly malts.

Taste: Delicious! That's about all I can say.

Feel: Excellent mouth feel. Really bold, yet smooth and creamy.

Overall: Very good impression. Wasn't sure why it costed so much, but it has delivered. Very good stout! Recommended.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Pitch black. A nice brown head forms and then fades into a ring around the top. Incredibly thick looking. I'm contemplating grabbing out a fork.

Smells nice and roasty. Some coffee notes, and slight dark chocolate. Smells is good but rather subdued compared to...

The taste. Oh Lord! This thing is thick and delicious. Lots of rich roasted characters. Very bitter, exactly how I like my RIS. Coffee, chocolate, and a decent hop profile. Low carbonation and very full body. There's also something mesmerizing about watching a thick stout pour from a can.

Ten Fidy is one of the best stouts out there, and not too difficult to find. It's a bit pricey at about $15 for a 4 pack, but this one is worth shelling out the money when I want something special. A+ Will drink again.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Welcome to Texas Ten Fidy!!!

Pours a deep black with a dark chocolate head. One of the darkest heads I have seen! Head comes alive from deep within the beer mountaining up to build a three finger head. As the head falls, a thick sheet of head remains on the glass, legs for days. Smell is sweet, very fruity. Dark fruit dominates, raspberry, fig, plum covered in burnt brown sugar, mollasses and some roasty smoke. So sweet. Taste is so smooth! Begins with the tiniest bit of burnt toast before giving way to dark fruits... raspberry covered in syrup, chocolate covered raisins, old red grapes. Beautifully drinkable. A bit thin compared to some of the top RIS's but almost sessionable (nevermind your head swimming!). Texas loves the Ten Fidy!

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours out a deep, dark black color with a dark brown, thick head. This is an extremely viscous liquid. Roasted coffee, espresso and dark chocolate in the nose. The taste is incredible, burnt coffee beans, dark chocolate, cherries, bananas, and oak. It is heavy in the mouth and has a very full body. This beer is hands down the most fun beer to drink. I think it has to do with the fact that it comes in a can and it's an incredible beer. I can't stop drinking these things. They're so good and fun. It's weird, but I feel that's the only way to explain it.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

I've been waiting to try this beer forever.

I thought about chugging from the can but I managed to take just a sip. nice.

This looks great in a glass. Jet black body with a nice thick head.

What a great imperial stout! This stuff is smooth and buttery. Cocoa and coffee dominate.

I've had two and I could go for another but I won't, I'm already a little tipsy.

Awesome Imperial stout. I will be getting more.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours an opaque black with one finer of dark mocha/tan head on it. It is very strange seeing a black beer pouring out of a can, and also not getting the canned "hiss" when opened. I rather like pouring this beer from can to glass. There is a ton of bittersweet chocolate in the nose with secondary scents of roasted coffee, molassas, hops, and some dark fruit. Quite the impressive nose on an imperial stout. The roasted coffee flavors come through at first sip, but other flavors intermingle quite well like powdered bitter cocoa, roasted grain, and burnt currants/plums. You notice all the flavors, but the bitter coffee/chocolate flavor comes through in every drink. I can barely detect any alcohol on the palate as well. This beer is velvety smooth and full bodied. The carbination is low as it should be. The drinkability is top-notch for this beer, and I would stock my house with it if I could find it locally, but I would have to be in the mood for this beer and wouldn't drink it on all occassions.

Overall I am pretty damned impressed by this beer. Personally it goes in my top 10 of all time.

Ten Fidy
12 oz can

With no carbonation fizz on opening, a dark blood amber pour stream falls into a pool of blackest of black stout. Thin set mocha colored head of tiny bubbles settles in. An unpronounced, delicate yet very pleasing aroma of espresso, toffee, beef and smoky chocolate. Head dissipated to a frothy ring, lovely. Mouthfeel is luscious and full, soft and bitter in the back that lingers over more espresso and smoke. Alcohol is noticeable but surprisingly balanced with full uber dark malt flavor. It's a sipper of pleasure for sure, one to be lingered over. A wonderfully massive stout, that over powers you with hug.

Thank you Oskar Blues!

Ave

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Oh snap! If you are dark beer lover as I am, this is a superpower of the genre. And by that I mean not only the taste, but also the wallop. Not for the faint of heart, this beer pours as used motor oil with a thin caramel-colored head. Yeah, licorice, burnt toast, coffee, blah, blah, blah. Very flavorful but, let's be honest, it is hard to conceal 10.5% ABV. There is s distinct alcohol taste that numbs the tongue after a while. This is a must-try if you enjoy hefty brews but stop yourself after two pints or so, for your own good.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from can into a small snifter. Darkest beer ever? Black, with a dark tan head that formed late but came up quickly when it did. One of the prettiest beers out there.

Smell is of the dark malts that make the beer, a lot of chocolate aromas going on.

Taste is straightforward: dark and heavy. The balance is great, I tasted some chocolate flavors, and there was also a bit of a hop presence that I wasn't expecting. Very sweet, this would make a great dessert.

Mouthfeel was impressive, carbonation was fitting with the style. As far as drinkability, I have to say this was perfect. Its 10%, but if I weren't rationing these beers due to its availibiltiy and cost, I could have 2-3, maybe 4. I was craving another can after this, but I restrained myself. Now, I keep thinking about the taste and can't wait to have more.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to Schmittymack for the trade at DLD and thanks to my girlfriend for picking it up. I have been wanting to try my first ever imperial stout from a can, so here it goes:

A: Pitch black with a nice creamy dark brown head. Head sticks around throughout. Coats the glass.

S: a very sweet and roasty smell, some notes of chocolate. This smells delicious.

T: Wow, the taste is amazing. There is a perfect harmony of malted sweetness balanced with roasted notes. The finish is chocolate and sweet. I would say this is a little on the sweet side for imperial stouts, but it works so well with this beer. The 9.5 % alcohol is very well masked.

M: A nice velvety smooth feel with low carbonation. This beer is very thick which is perfect for the flavor.

D: I really wish this beer was more readily available for me, this is an excellent imperial stout. I have yet to be disappointed by a craft beer in a can. This is one of my favorite imperial stouts.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to BA'ers smellysell & session1979 for hooking me up with a few cans of the Original Release of this beer.

Appearance: Can opened with barely a pop of C02. Poured briskly into a Riedel stemless wineglass. Beer is as black as onyx and as viscous as motor oil. A beautiful 2 to 3 finger head of dense, pillowy tan foam that resembles hot cocoa slowly recedes to a thick top layer, leaving a trail of lacing down the side of the glass. Excellent retention.

Smell: At first the nose is hard to discern. Hints of burnt malt give way to cocoa, coffee, and a strong alcohol scent as the beer approaches room temperature.

Taste: What a world of flavors! The ABV here is well-masked by the strong flavors of dark chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, complimented by hints of caramel. A pleasing bitterness that goes perfectly with the other flavors rewards each sip. Outstanding.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy and syrupy. Coats the mouth with velvety smoothness and leaves a sticky residue behind. Nary a hint of carbonation. Warming alcohol sensation greets the stomach.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: Wow. This is quite a concoction. The ABV here will definitely catch up with you before long, so I don't know how many of these you could have in one sitting before becoming completely incapacitated. It's definitely a sipper, but quite exceptional for the style. Perfect for a cold winter night, or when you need to feel warm all over. The beer definitely has a "sweet spot", however, as the last few sips of warmest beer couldn't stand up to the earlier, cooler draws. Definitely a keeper!

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: a thick and viscous pour, midnight black with brown head, great lacing, decent head retention.

Smell: roasty chocolate malts

Taste: light coffee, HEAVY chocolate, full flavored, roasted malts, a little alcohol, robust.

Drinkability: A delicious and hearty brew for the stout lover. It lived up to the hype.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Huge thanks to mcduck for sending this beer. I've wanted to get my hands on one of these cans for a while now. Poured in a Smokestack goblet...

Appearance: Crack of carbonation upon opening the can. Pours like motor oil from the can. Heavy carbonation leads to an opaque black liquid with a caramel-mocha colored head that dissipates quickly leaving a mocha ring around the glass, and tons of beautiful lacing down the sides. This beer looks exactly like an RIS should.

Smell: Chocolate and roasted malts, and a ton of them, at that. I can smell this beer from an arm's length away. Some vanilla and toffee as well, but the breadiness of the malt is overpowering. This smells delightful.

Taste: Exactly like it smells. Glorious roasted, toasted malts. Some nubs of dark chocolate mixed with some notes of caramel as well. The flavors meld together to create an otherworldly mishmash of beauty and goodness.

Mouthfeel: This is a heavy RIS. It coats the tongue (which saying it looked like motor oil coming out of the can makes it not much of a surprise) and envelops the taste buds. The toasted malts play well with the sweeter flavors, and it comes across very well in the overall feel of the beer.

Drinkability: The alcohol is very well hidden in this beer. The 10% ABV is almost nowhere to be found. Maybe a slight twinge on the swallow, but overall, this beer is pure bready malts and chocolate flavors. It's a shame this beer isn't distributed more widely, as this could become a staple in this Kansas home.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

This one another awesome surprise extra I got from xpimptastikx. Poured into a snifter.

A- After a pretty viscous pour a thin DARK reddish brown head rises then falls leaving nothing but a ring. This head is the darkest Ive seen. Its almost as dark as some porters!
Ten FIDY is the typical opaque pitch black, the only thing about the appearance that's one of a kind is that dark head.

S- Waiting for this to warm really helps awaken the nose. Slight alcohol, sweetness and cocoa powderyness.

T- Really exceptional flavors here. Bitter-sweet cocoa, dark and roasted maltiness, and a lovely creamy/milkiness. Alcohol is barely present.

M- Ive heard great things about the mouth feel here. Mainly that its really really heavy and thick. In that department I was let down a little bit. I think mainly because of the hype. But thats not to say the mouthfeel on Ten FIDY isnt amazing.
The carbonation is very low. The MF is similar to a creamy whole milk. Its liquid velvet. So nice!

D- Its taking all my strength to not chug this all down right away. Its so good! Alcohol is barely perceivable. A very very drinkable RIS.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Well, Ten Fidy is a big, bad, bold beer. This review is for a can that is nearly one year old.

Viscous black liquid with a small brown head. Some lacing along the glass.

Huge grain and chocolate malt aroma, caramel sweetness, molasses, roast, fresh wood, hint of booze. Just an incredibly deep, rich malty nose.

Taste offers a huge roasted character with restrained sweetness, dark chocolate, alcohol, and long, lingering bitterness.

Feel is spot on. I mean perfect. Huge, chewy body with some presence from the oats. Soft, fading carbonation.

A damn good RIS."Must try" for any beer lover.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

A - This beer poured as black as a struck match, produced a fluffy brown head that had great retention and laced the side of the glass very nicely, pure beauty in a glass

S - The aromas produced by this beer had bitter chocolate, ground coffee beans, roasted malts, and some pine tree hops

T - This taste of this beer had the typical RIS elements that one would expect, roasted malts, ground coffee, and bitter dark chocolate, but also had some molasses and piney hops that made this one unique

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a heavy, creamy body that was accompanied by a light amount of carbonation

D - This is exactly the kind of beer that make big RIS and American Imperial Stouts my favorite style of beer, just when I think another style of beer is making its way up, this comes along and blows my taste buds away. Excellent job Oskar Blues

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew