Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Ratings: 9,868 |  Reviews: 2,616
4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

pours a purple black color with a thick brown head. okay retention
smells of dark chocolate and roasted coffee, possibly some stone fruits.
tastes like black coffee,
bitterness is well balanced, very robust, a little viscous, smooth, chewy/sticky, flavor lingers for a while

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz. can courtesy of rmalinowski4. Thanks Rich for this little treat! Poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a viscous and opaque mocha with a very thin 1/4 inch cocoa-colored head that completely dissipated before I was even able to finish pouring the contents into my glass. No lacing whatsoever and zero light transmission through this monster. The long-lost cousin to motor oil, that’s for damn sure.

Smell: Lovely aromas coming from this one. Mixture of Dark and milk chocolate, roasted black coffee, vanilla, and molasses. Flavor profile is well-balanced and in full force from start to finish.

Taste: Delicious! Intense chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and molasses from the moment this beer touches my tongue. Bitterness from the coffee remains at the back of the throat after the swallow. I do wish the other flavors stuck around awhile longer than they did. Coffee gains in strength as this one warms.

Mouthfeel: As heavy as they come. Thick, chewy, and syrupy with essentially no carbination...as if it needed it anyway. Slight warming from the alcohol that also becomes exacerbated with increasing temperature.

Overall: Based on appearance and smell, I originally thought that I needed to set aside an hour or so to tackle this one, but it is actually very drinkable. Only downfall is the slight inconsistency in the flavor profile from start to finish. A superb example of the style. Damn, I wish I had more. Looks like I have a new ISO to post.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. can (Canned On 10/25/10) into a snifter glass.

A vigorous pour yields a slow-forming 1/2-finger mocha-colored head that dissipates to a minute dusting and thin foam ring in just under a couple minutes. The body is a bold ebony with no traces of color when held to light. Thin lacing can be seen clinging to a good bit of the glass throughout consumption.

Dark malts give a strong, bold nose. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee beans, toffee, and licorice. There is also both a smoky and slight alcohol quality to the nose.

Milk chocolate starts the taste with notes of sweet, dark fruit and brown sugar. Once swallowed, dark, bittersweet chocolate and black coffee flavors emerge. An overlying alcohol flavor is also noticeable throughout the entire taste but comes to rest in the back of the throat at the end.

Full bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is definitely a sipper. The body is full and robust, allowing your taste buds to experience every nuance this beer has to offer. The carbonation is only slightly noticeable, does not interfere with the flavors, and helps to keep this beer from becoming a syrupy mess. It coats your mouth well and is rather sticky but the mouthfeel is still smooth overall.

11/4/2007
Thanks drseamus.
Pitch black. Creamy almost intrusive mud colored head.

Smell was "dark" earthy. Lots of coffee, roasted malt and chocolate. Hints of smoke.

This is an outstanding beer. So many simply flavors creating a complex treat. It is thick...oily.

Exceptional beer experience.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Got this in the Blind BIF from nlmartin. Thanks buddy!
The beer was opened without any prior knowledge of brewer, style, or anything.

So I made myself some nice pizza for dinner and decided to pop the blind can to go with it.... I had asked nlmartin what glassware to use for the beers and was told the snifter would get me through most if them, but "use a glass for the can." with no modifier in front of the word "glass," I assumed "pint glass."

Anyway-- I pop the can. I immediately regretted it.
It opened with a *click* with no hiss of carbonation... As soon as I began to pour it, I understood why-- this is a stout. A monstrous, sludgey, thick, viscous, dark black stout.

Sunnuvabitch. This will not go well with my pizza. I love me some Ten-Fidy... But I was expecting a pale ale... Yes, I guessed right away that this was Ten-Fidy-- what other Imperial Stout is in a can? Awesome.

Dark tan head, minimal lacing, no head at all left after I'm halfway done. Still though, looks nice...
Smells of chocolate malt, toffee, some dark fruits, and a hint of black licorice.
The taste has a great sweetness up front and dries out with a light booziness that really works well. This is very tasty. The black licorice is minimal, and the dark fruits ride in with a small charred smokiness. Very very tasty.

The body is full and thick. Good creamy feel with the low carbonation.
Insanely tasty and easy drinking. Man, I need to ask my buddies to send me more of this...
Thanks!
A-4, S-4.5, T-4, M-4.5, D-4

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Re-review additional.notes: I will not edit my original review, as it was one of my very first, and I think it needs to remain as-is, as a testament to changing perspectives. It's now several years later, nearing 1000 reviews of beer, and essentially my view on this beer hasn't changed much, although the numerical ratings I would choose would vary slightly.. I would bump the flavor by a quarter point, and lower the appearance by the same. Also, it's debatable whether I'd rate the overall a quarter point higher. Note that when I originally rated this, BA did not have quarter point ratings, only half. Otherwise, I will keep the same comments, and my rating data was not changed upon re-review. Also notable is that this re-review is from an aged can of 2012 vintage. Finally, I have begun to prefer pouring beers at fridge temps, and letting them warm and breathe to prime drinking temperature (which is slightly different for every beer, IMO).

Original review:

After much anticipation, I finally opened my first Ten Fidy. Poured at about 50 degrees, this imperial stout comes out looking like used diesel oil - black as black can get, a true black hole of a beer. Made a decent head that dissipated after some time into a film on top with lots of lacing on the glass.

It smelled of sweet roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, molasses and caramel. The rising smell of alcohol seems to accent the complex aromas nicely.

The taste is even more complex than the smell and is a bit overpowering, but on par with the style. Bitter roasted malts, molasses, honey, coffee, chocolate, a touch of dark fruits (raisins?), and notable alcohol taste.

Feels excellent, thick and almost a bit chewy, gliding down with a warming effect, perfect for the style.

Drinkability - it's highly flavorful but a bit overpowering as a stand alone, unless it was a one beer evening. Will drink again, but only one at a time. Would make an excellent black and tan.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

A - OMG pours black like tar. Big dense head that is brown like dirt. It just looks thick like motor oil. It appears opaque in the pint glass. Lots of lace as the head finally dissipates. I'm still looking at this beer in amazement.

S - Sweetness that isn't hard to find even with the glass still at the table. There's certainly caramel in the air with this beer. Big coffee smell as well. This is only going to get better as it warms up. I'd like to be wrapped up in this beer as if it were a warm blanket.

T - Sweet up front. Alcohol back bite. There's a fruity aspect of the sweetness that is not the usual citrus you find in many beers. There's also a bitterness that is not your typical hops. All is very good, but difficult to identify.

M - Smooth and thick, almost syrup-y. Not surprising considering the appearance. Definitely a heavy bodied beer.

D - I'm happy I have more in the fridge, but I think I'll have to savor them for a later date. I will cherish this beer. Besides, with an ABV of 10.00%, by the time I got half way thru the 2nd can I wouldn't be enjoying the beer anymore. It's worth the experience and enjoy the ride!

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

A- canned w/ care 11-16-09, pours a viscous pitch black w/ almost no head to speak of, very little lacing as well

S- smell is a collage of dark malts, licorice, wood and alcohol with a faint caramel and woody fruitness, gets even better as it warms

T- initial taste was licorice with a faint hop/roasted malt bitterness, turns a bit sweet w/ some toffee-like caramel, dried dates/plum and wood/smoke, not sure but i get a faint coconut-like note deep inside somewhere, finish is slick w/ some alcohol and mineral to it

M- a thick full-bodied beer, a modest amount of co2

D- drinks like a "big" beer should yet never really shows the 9.5% ABV, quite a complex brew, tastes different w/ every sip & makes you have to keep drinking it

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer came my way from Beer Power Ball Week 2. Cant remember who sent it but big thanks to you!...

The beer was lightly chilled and poured from the can into an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours pitch black with no opaqueness to light. The head is the color of lightly creamed coffee. The head quickly resolves to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beer delivers an aroma of very well roasted coffee. Bitter sweet chocolate notes raise up from the glass in counter point to the roasted and charred malts. This beer is very promising.

Taste: The beer delivers the expected well roasted coffee flavors. This is accompanied by nutty dry cocoa flavors. I can just barely taste the ghost of dark fruits prunes and raisins. This gives way to warming peppery alcohol and flash of bitterness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation is low but appropriate. The has a pleasant smooth oilyness. This is a dam fine RIS. I enjoyed the beer from the moment I poured it into the glass. Well played Oskar Blues.

Nice brew..

Has the most bitterness of any stout I've had.. The usual stout flavors, big roasted malts,chocolate,coffee..

Kind of a high price for what it is imo, at $10 a 4 pack this would become one of my regulars

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours from the can an inky, dark opaque black, through which no light can shine. Minimal amount of light brown head. Big aromas of alcohol, roasted malts, anise and black licorice. On the palate, full bodied and rich, lightly carbed, with flavors of alcohol, bourbon, dark chocolate and roasted malt. Maybe the best canned beer I've had.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Picked up several 4-packs of cans at the brewery while in town for GABF.

Pours black and viscous with a thick, cocoa-colored head that lasts. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, caramel, and raisins; along with some higher alcohol waft from the glass. Flavor is a blend of roast and chocolate with some licorice as well. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy, and full - very nice.

Overall, another solid offering from OB. I suspect this one may develop a little more character and complexity as it ages, and I plan to stash a few away to test that theory.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

You've got to love an imperial stout in a can.
Pours a murky brown/block color. Not the darkest I've seen, but there's no doubt about what style it is immediately. Forms a salt and pepper brown/white head that arrives without need of an aggressive pour. Lacing? Yup - it sticks around like sugar.
Smell is of roasted coffee, cocoa, dark bread baking, almonds, and a little sweetness from the citrus-like hops.
The initial flavor starts as a little sweet, but becomes dry with a strong roast flavor. I tend to like my imperials a little bit sweeter, BUT this is the best of the drier ones. The strongest flavors are espresso and roasted nuts, but this brew actually does have some hops...which you would probably expect from Oskar Blues.
Mouthfeel is typical for the style, and fits nicely in the middle of the ultra thick offerings (like Abyss) and thinner ones (like Storm King or Yeti). I actually like my imperials a little thinner, so this works for me.
Drinkability is actually not that bad. I finished one and probably could've cracked another an hour later.
I recommend actually drinking this one chilled at first so you can see how the beer gets drier and more potent as it warms. That's actually somewhat unique.

The one thing that has to be mentioned is price. A 4-pack of this is $12. That's more than pretty much any other imperial stout on the market ($ per Oz). Is it worth it? Maybe, but it's a tough call. It's a wonderful beer, and there's something really nice about having a killer beer and the convenience of a can. It's another big success from OB, but that price is a knock on it.

EDIT: Recent cannings of this have been much more aligned to my personal tastes. The most recent I had (#4, canned in 12/08) was unbelievably malty and the roastiness had been toned down to work as a balancing element. It was every bit as good as any other RIS on the market. Another new wrinkle is that the price has been dropped to $8 for a 4-pack. That's essentially the same price as offerings from Stone, Great Divide, Founders, etc. Ten Fidy has gone from being good to wonderful, but I'll keep my original scores up there just for reference.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Sampled from a 12oz can purchased at Nikki's in N Providence, RI.

A - Pours like motor oil. Deep black with almost no head; just a dusting of bubbles. Some lacing though.

S - Molasses, licorice, roasted malt and coffee.

T - Rich but very well balanced and smooth. The alcohol kicks hard on the first sip but then mellows. Roasted malt, chocolate and coffee follow.

M - Thick, chewy and silky. Almost no carbonation.

D - Surprisingly easy to drink for such as big, dark beer.

12 oz can dated 9-26-2013

A: Darker than hell, creamy dark tan head with nice retention and sticky lacing around the glass.

S: Roasted chocolate malt, coffee, a tinge of alcohol.

T: Follows the nose pretty well. Very lively, could see this better aged. Strong malt backbone at the end.

M: Thick sludge, but fits for the style.

O: At $8.99 a 4-pack, I will be drinking more of these this winter.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can poured into a Blind Tiger Brewery snifter glass. Canned on date of 09/28/2012. “Fig old Bidys.”

Appearance: Pours a finger of mocha colored head which slowly dissipates to a film/ring and leaves sticky clumps of lacing. Slow as molasses. Striking shiny ink black body. It almost looked like clumps were being poured out of the can.

Aroma: Lots of roasted dark malts. Smells papery/cardboardish. Some sweet stone fruit and alcohol. Brings to mind chocolate powder and cold chocolate milk.

Taste: Massive amounts of smooth roasted malts fading into a nice chocolate/coffee taste. More of the papery notes. Slightly smoky, almost savory chocolate. Some leathery raisins. Finishes with an herbal hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Huge, thick and heavy. Lots alcohol warmth, almost boozy. Low carbonation for what is one of the better mouthfeels I've had from a stout. Too bad it's so hot.

Overall: A memorable looking stout with a thick, heavy body. The notes of paper/cardboard were not too distracting and were starting to take on some nice nutty chocolate tones not unlike an aged barleywine/old ale. Surprisingly it was boozy and had some residual herbal hop bitterness on the finish.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew