Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Reviews: 2,540 | Ratings: 9,613
4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours blacker than sin with a thick coffee-colored head.

S: Ripe fruits, chocolate, creamy espresso.

T: Starts off with the dark fruit and lots of bittersweet chocolate, some alcohol, then some pleasant roasted malt and coffee flavors. The hops somehow come to light after a good amount of time so you can enjoy the malt flavor. Finish is nice and bitter yet well balanced.

M: Creamy, chewy, little carbonation, nice and thick the way a RIS should be.

D: Almost too good to be true. Alchol is well hidden, almost dangerous!. One of the better RIS's I have had. Highly recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

App: Pours from a 12oz can a thick inky black , blacker than Darth Vader's robotic heart, blacker than Charles Manson's soul, blacker than Wesley Snipes, it's pretty f'in black ok? The one fingered head is a lovely shade of dark creamed coffee, incredibly thinck lacing. This stout is beautiful.

S: mostly roasted dark malts, black coffee, some dark fruityness, bittersweet chocolate

T: starts with bittersweet dark chocolate, turning into acrid espresso, burnt malt, some piney hops and a bit of cherry or currant fruityness, ends with warming alcohol

M: very low carbonation makes this beer feel extremly rich and creamy and syrupy but not overly slick, it starts sweet but it's very bitter in the finish

D: The alcohol is very well hidden by the extreme bitterness of the dark malt and the hops, at 10% this beer is dangerously drinkable.

Ten Fidy is an exceptional imperial stout and possibly one of the greatest beers ever to be put in an aluminum can.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up a can from AJ's in late April for $2.99.

Beer poured black as night with a strong brown head. Nose is sweet malts, chocolate, and coffee with a hint of alcohol. Taste is of roasted malts and coffee with a beautiful bitter chocolate finish. Warming alcohol was present with the initial sips. Mouthfeel is creamy perfection. It is full bodied yet light at the same time. Each sip is incredibly smooth as there must be some oatmeal in the recipe. Overall drinkability is perfect. I have to believe this is the best RIS I have had to date!

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Got this beast is the Pre-football season BIF from paulthebeerguru. It kept on calling my name, so I couldn't help but give in!

Pours a massive, thick jet black. As dark as night, absolutely beautifully dark. I got a small tan head, that reduced to coating the top of the beer. This beast is impenetreble to light.

Smells of dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, espresso. Very nice.

Holy moly Batman, this tastes fanTASTIC!! Nice and creamy, with hints of dark choclate and espresso from the dark roast malts. I'm also getting a hint of hops in there. This is very balanced.

This has a great mouthfeel. Even though I pick up some alcohol in the smell, as it sits in my mouth, it's so smooth. This is dangerously good, I am loving it!

Drinkability is great, especially for an RIS. It just goes down so nicely, and I'm crying inside because this was my one and only Ten Fidy. I will definately seek this out in the future. A fabulous brew. Even though Surly is my first love, Oskar Blues fricking rocks!

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

I've had several cans of this already. This being my last can, I figured it'd be good for my 250th review.

Pours the inky black of used motor oil with a finger of rich, heavy tan head. A bit of mahogany highlights, only if held to the light... otherwise pitch black.
Nose is of sweet rich malt, black patent, roasted barley, a hint of bittering hops in the back. Smells heavy and rich, as though it will be a treat to enjoy.
Flavor is much the same as the nose, but with added alcohol in the finish. Starts with rich, dark malt, charred wood, strong roast, alcohol, and finishes syrupy with heavy malt sweetness and intense grain bitterness with some alcohol. Flavor remains long after each swallow.
Mouthfeel is dense and heavy, syrupy, low carbonation, and a very dry and smooth finish with alcohol warming.
An excellent brew, possibly the best in a can. Highly recommended.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Served from a can.. with pride.

A-Used motor oil is as close as it comes to describe how dark this beer is. Nice coco head with great lacing

S-Dark chocolate, roasted malt, esspresso, coffee, some booze

T-Unreal, bitter roasted coffee paired with layers of chocolate, from rich milk chocolate to dark bitter chocolate. WOW!

M-How can something that looks so thick be somewhat light to the palate? Very nice

D-Highly, for the ABV and style

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

This poured (from a can) totally opaque, pitch black with dark tan head. It smelled like alcohol, roasted coffee beans, licorice hops, and milk chocolate malt. It tasted like very bitter burnt coffee with strong licorice hops, and a bit of roasted chocolate malt, with sour alcohol taste. It was thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a very bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a very flavorful and potent beer. I would typically suggest aging to mellow out the character, but I'm not sure if that would work for this beer, since it comes in a can? Regardless, it was very clean and complex, with great flavor and body.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Black doesn't even seem to fully describe how dark this beer looks. Has a nice light brown head. Even held against a strong direct light, all I see is black. As I drank a complete covering of lace is left on the glass surrounding the black gold. I like it!

S - Faintly of dark chocolate. Almost like baker's chocolate (cocoa). Also reminds me of some dark coffee roasts.

T - Very chocolate in taste. A bit of a hop bite in the aftertaste but it seems hidden a bit from the smooth creamy body. I know the alcohol (10.50 hense 10 FIDY) is up there but I really can't detect it. The dark roasted malts are smoothed with the use of flaked oats.

M - Smooth, rich, but mostly THICK. The beer's website says it is 98 IBUs. I am still learning but I checked Wikipedia about IBUs and it said 100 was the top. I would never have guessed this beer was that hopped.

D - Dangerously deceitful. I could have more then one without thinking. I know that the alcohol would sooner or later rear it's ugly head on me but this was great.

A couple extra notes. Open the can carefully. I write this review as it is the last of the 4 pack I bought to drink right away. Each can, no matter how slow and careful I was, was so full that I always got some on my hand. They filled these babies to the top and then some. Also, since they are in cans, I will start cellaring them to see what happens after aging them a bit. A can is totally air tight and no chance of light so... we will see.

4.16/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz. can. Pours a black color with a frothy brown head, fair lacing. Aroma is heavy roasted malts, caramel, dark chocolate, lots of coffee, and a touch of pine hops. Flavor is sweet dark chocolate, coffee, a bitter hoppy finish, and a touch of alcohol. Full bodied, creamy on the tounge and the coffee sticks with you for a while.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Upon cracking this can, it doesnt seem like there will be any carbonation. Nice pour provides amble dark mocha, almost wood color head. Boy does it look thick. I would give this a 5, but the head doesnt seem to quite stay long enough. I might be getting picky here. Oil slick black, no light getting through this thing. Exciting.

Deep roasted malt, almost burnt but it a good way. Some coffee/espresso present. Some stout hops.

Amazingly creamy. Wow, how did they do that? Fairly dry and hoppy. Espresso, malt.

Really dry, but in a good way. I can say I have never tasted a beer like this before. I think its the hops component, but I cant be certain.

There is something a little out of balance here, not exactly sure. It might just be this beer is extremely different from any norm, even RIS standards.

I would love to have a 6r of this.

cheers

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Big thanks to stevemcqueenjr for this one.
This beer pours oily pitch black in the glass with a carmel colored head that quickly disapears. The smell is chocolate and alcohol which not suprising considering its high abv. The taste is bitter, chocolate and coffee flavors. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, not as carbonated as I would like. Drinkability is good but obviously hindered a bit by its high abv.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up 2 4 packs while in GA...good move. :)

Poured in glass with a pitch black appearance. with carmel foam head and oily lacing around the glass. Smell is coffee/chocolate/alcohol and taste matches. Mouthfeel is thick and oily, good malt/hops balance, a very good RIS. Once again it's impressive what Oskar Blues is putting into vans...wonder if it woul dbe any better in a bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Pours black as night and as thick as used motor oil. A thin, brown head forms and quickly recedes to a small ring around the glass. The beer is so thick that it leaves a slight film on the glass.

S- Very much a true RIS: Roasted malts, chocolate, dark Italian-roasted coffee, espresso, and notes of raisin, rounding out the smell.

T- It's bitter without being difficult to drink. The dark chocolate notes and bitter coffee flavors are accented by a surprising hop bitterness. Roasted malts with notes of caramel and raisin add a little sweetness.

M- Looking at the beer, you would think it's going to be completely flat, yet there's just enough carbonation to give the beer a little life. It's also incredibly rich, thick, and creamy.

D- Almost no hotness from the alcohol comes through. It's a sipper because of it's massive consistency. Overall, a really nice, classic example of what a Russian Imperial Stout should be.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz can received in a trade from my man everetends. Thanks Gilly.

Appearance- Pours black with a slow rising, mocha-tan monster of a head. It looks tasty as fuck. Good lacing, but could be a smidgen better.

Smell- Dark roasted malts, dark bitter coffee and chocolate, and floral hops. There's also some dark fruits and baked cracker lingering in there that reminds me of AK MAK. I don't have to strain to find the different smells, which is beautiful.

Taste- Wow! What a shit ton of bitter chocolate, roasted malt and dark, dark coffee. As if that bitterness wasn't enough, there are bitter hops that show up next. They are soon completely wiped out by the ensuing heat. A second "Wow!" goes out to this beers ability to be fresh out of the oven hot with alcohol without it being unpleasant. It was a fairly warm day here in the central valley of Oregon, and for a bit I was literally sweating from drinking this beer, and that is A-OK with this guy. Big chocolate, big coffee, big hops, and big heat. This beers gets the job done. It's the John McClane of the RIS world.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, smooth, lush, rich...go thesaurus crazy with the word creamy and you get the point. Low carbonation and a better body than a young Pamela Anderson.

Drinkability- The abv and heat keep the drinkability down a bit, but only because I don't want to sweat off 10lbs and do something to get me arrested. The flavor never gets old and doesn't ware on the tongue. Come winter, I will be trading for more than a few of these guys to keep me toasty.

A-Deep oil. Spilled a little on my hand and it didn't run, it was a slow, thick drip. Deep caramel colored head, haven't seen on that dark in a while. Didn't last.

S-Alcohol abound. Semi-sweet chocolate.

T-Big alcohol bite and coffee and chocolate undertones. Pretty smooth overall.

M-Sticky and viscous.

D-Could have a couple. Not one of my favorite IS.

4.46/5  rDev +3%

Lots of stouts look black in the glass. Never saw one this black pouring. Total darkness black hole. Creamy dark tan head, a level three fingers. Good lacing.

Good strong nose, heavy on the coffee, supported by chocolate, dark fruits, and a bit of licorice.

Taste begins with a tasty coffee shot, an undercurrent of dark fruit, a solid hop bite at the swallow and finishes with a huge lucisous burst of rich chocolate syrup - wow!

Mouthfeel is full, somewhat rich, but short of oily slick. Drinkability is terrific - only hampered by the $5.99/can price tag.

If this doesn't end the "no good craft beer can be in a can" argument, nothing will. Can, draft, bottle, a mighty fine Imperial Stout everbody should try at least once.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Purchased at Colonial Wine and Spirits in Acton, MA Saturday, August 23. Drank Sunday, August 31.

"Crosss-eyed, Cyclopean, Cancupiscent" and "Half Baked. Fully Roasted". "Ten Fidy Imperial Stout...this dog will hunt." The can was a fun read.

I've never seen anything like this beer, it was like pouring 2'oclock in the morning somewhere far from city lights into a glass. I've never seen a milk shake made with Ghirardelli, but that's exactly what I thought of when I saw the head form.

Smells of sweet chocolate, malts and coffee. Damn I want to try this beer.

My God, what an amazing beer. Chocolate, coffee, rich and creamy. Instantly one of my favorite beers, and definitely upper echelon of Imperial Stouts.

If Willy Wonka had this running through his factory I would have stabbed Augustus in the eye with a candy cane and jumped in before he could get his mitts on it.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Another can experience. I love it.

A - Dense, opaque black with a KILLER head of mocha, leaves slowly.

S - Earth, leather, cocoa and of course, coffee.

T - Dynamite. Mocha plus. Starbucks got nothing on this one.

M- Hits all the cues. Nice coating, good carbonation. Feels wonderful.

D - I would try to drink more, I want to drink more, but it is 10%...

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a St. Feuillien chalice.

A: Pours a shade of black resembling pure, unadulterated evil. Slinks into the glass like thick oil. Covering this is a 1 1/2 finger, dark tan/coffee colored head that's very creamy and rich and sports excellent retention. It slowly recedes to a slight skim and leaves an ornate lattice-work of lace in the glass.

S: Huge aromas of dark fruit, coffee, dark chocolate, burnt/blackened malt, booze, toffee, and hops. Smells very sweet with a distinct bitter edge.

T: Tastes much like it smells. Burnt malt, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruit, toffee, rum raisin bread pudding, chocolate covered cherry, spices, and a touch of citrus and pine. Very nice and slightly hot boozy flavor.

M: So thick, oily, and incredibly coating. Huge sweet fruit, dry/roasty malt, and spicy/bitter hops make for such an interesting adventure. Finish lingers forever and continues to evolve, running the gamut from sweet, dry, bitter, spicy, and back again.

D: I drank this on an empty stomach and was surprised at how "non-invasive" the alcohol was. I found this to be supremely drinkable and one of the most enjoyable Russian Imperial Stouts I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

thanks for this can goes out to IVNLOUD

A- big black body with a small coffee colored head that sticks around for a while

S- chocolate, roasted malts, and a bit of booze. very hoppy as well.

T- about how it smells. wonderfully dry and bitter on the back end. the only drawback is that its a little hot right now from the alcohol

M- great! thick and chewy, just how a RIS should be.

D- its a beast with this much alcohol, but its a pleasure to drink. i really wish it was available in this area so i could drink it on a regular basis. id have more of this whenever i got the chance. recommended

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Fingers crossed this makes it out west. Stellar brew. As other notes state, coco, coffee, roasted malt with very slight sweet and vanilla. Where this wins for me is the texture and thickness though refreshing and never feeling that heavy. Quality in a can!

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

My cousin did it again. Along with the Gordon's he put in his kegerator, he also put this in.

Looks black like the bowels of hell it came from...in a good way.

Smells like heaven in a glass. Malty and sweet smelling.

Tastes like dark chocolate mixed with coffee and a touch of hops in the background.

Thick and magnificent. A few of these and you've had a meal.

I had a few of these, and was full, but very, very content.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

TEN FIDY Review

I couldn't wait from the time I first tried this beer a few weeks ago to write a review about it. I was picking up some beer to-go tonight and figured it would be worth it to get a can and write up a few lines about it. First off, I LOVE CRAFT BEER IN A CAN!!!! There is something almost romantic about a can of beer and now that I can get good beer in a can, it makes that romance even hotter. I poured this bad boy into a 16 ounce pint glass. There was a little head straight outta the can, a milky chocolate color, which slowly dissipated. The aroma was full of dark roasted malts with dark chocolate. The taste was mellow...no bite for a beer that boasts a 10.5% ABV. If you get the chance to try a can of this EPIC brew, don't put it off...this dog will hunt!

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz can poured into an imperial pint glass

A - Pours a pitch black sludge with a nice one inch dark tan head. Head lasts well and leaves a fine layer of lacing as it disappears.

S - A very strong dry and roasted flavor presents itself immediately. Dark chocolate and coffee are the obvious checkpoints. An undercurrent of dark fruit floats below the dominant dryness. Just a hint of floral hops.

T - Starts with the same intense roasted dry flavor as the scent. Slightly sweet, but it works well with the bitter dark chocolate and more-subdued espresso flavors. Dark fruit gets lost in the strong bitter dry flavor.

M - Dry and very full bodied yet rather smooth. Bitter dryness at the end complements the roasted dryness of the early mouthfeel.

D - A huge stout that should not be taken lightly. Certainly worth picking up, and perfect for that first cold night of fall.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

I'll probably say what has alerady been said countless times, but this is one incredible stout and hands down the best beer ever to come in a can.
Pours really black and really smooth into a Stone RIS glass. You can just tell this is one viscous brew. I must say, there is something very satisfying about pouring a beer this black and thick from a can. A small, creamy dark tan head slowly develops. The head looks like, if you could scoop it off and put it in a glass by itself, it would be somethign someone would pay $6 for at starbucks. Alas, it does not last terribly long before reducing to a small coat on the top of the black hole that is the beer.
Smell is mostly of roasted malts with a nice whiff of hops.
Taste is out of this world. As a big fan of the style, I've had my share of RIS's, and this is the 1st one in a while that has really exceeded my expectations. Very intense onslaught on the taste buds of dark roasted malts, dark bitter chocolate and enough hops to notice, but not enough to overpower the brew, as some American interpretations of the style do. Hop bitterness lingers in the finish, mingling for awhile with some leftover roastiness. This is no beginner RIS, thats for sure.
Mouthfeel is smooth as silk and very heavy on the palate. Perfect for the style, IMO.
Drinkablity? Well, I cant wait for the next sip.
All in all a very impressive stout...damn its good.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew