Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Ratings: 9,874 |  Reviews: 2,617

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 Ounce can -> snifter

This one is as good as its rep. It poors up a gorgeous black with a 2 finger mocha head, not much in the way of retention, not much lacing. The nose is very sweet and malty, some soy sauce, and chocolate. Taste is complex. I detected notes of cola, licorice, roasted nuts, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and just the smallest hint of alcohol, mostly being well hid. Mouthfeel is full and syrupy. This is now my favorite RIS, even better than Ol' Raspy.

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Had this on tap at the Berkley Front. As far as I know, this isn't distributed in MI, but the last reviewer is also from MI, and I saw an IPA from the same brewery at my bottle shop today. Are they finally branching out here? Let's hope!

A- Typical stout. Pitch black, tan head, and I actually did have some lacing. Near perfect for me.

S- Chocolate and licorice, like most imperial stouts.

T- So, so good. I don't know how to describe it other than "smooth." For a beer that's 10.5 percent, it certainly didn't taste like it. I pretty much guzzled it down, and my bf still had half of his 5% drink when I was done. It was like liquid candy. Not too bitter, but not too sweet, either.

M- Not too thin or thick. I'd call it a perfectly balanced stout.

Overall, I loved it. I really hope that they're starting to distribute here in MI. The price tag is the only bad thing about it, but I would certainly splurge every now and then.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew