Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

#270
4.5

Ratings: 9,913 |  Reviews: 2,623
3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

4.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 Ounce can -> snifter

This one is as good as its rep. It poors up a gorgeous black with a 2 finger mocha head, not much in the way of retention, not much lacing. The nose is very sweet and malty, some soy sauce, and chocolate. Taste is complex. I detected notes of cola, licorice, roasted nuts, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and just the smallest hint of alcohol, mostly being well hid. Mouthfeel is full and syrupy. This is now my favorite RIS, even better than Ol' Raspy.

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Had this on tap at the Berkley Front. As far as I know, this isn't distributed in MI, but the last reviewer is also from MI, and I saw an IPA from the same brewery at my bottle shop today. Are they finally branching out here? Let's hope!

A- Typical stout. Pitch black, tan head, and I actually did have some lacing. Near perfect for me.

S- Chocolate and licorice, like most imperial stouts.

T- So, so good. I don't know how to describe it other than "smooth." For a beer that's 10.5 percent, it certainly didn't taste like it. I pretty much guzzled it down, and my bf still had half of his 5% drink when I was done. It was like liquid candy. Not too bitter, but not too sweet, either.

M- Not too thin or thick. I'd call it a perfectly balanced stout.

Overall, I loved it. I really hope that they're starting to distribute here in MI. The price tag is the only bad thing about it, but I would certainly splurge every now and then.

*UPDATED REVIEW from JANUARY 3RD 2016*

Canned 7/28/15 and poured 1/3/16. : "NIGHTY NIGHT!"

The first time I had Ten Fidy was well before I appreciated the style. The last time I had it, I was a fan of the style, AND the can was aged for a little over a year. This time, the can is about 5 months old. Let's see how this goes.

Smell: Changes a lot as it warms. Molasses covered hops at one point, boozy chocolate coffee the next. There's more so some chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and, as I get in some big stouts, a smoked meat quality. Complex and interesting.

Taste/feel: Very flavorful beer with a hoppier-than-I-recall flavor that adds to the bitterness as well as depth of flavor. The feel is syrupy and full with a moderate carbonation. Feels slick in the mouth. Pretty boozy and warming, which fades a tick with more age.

While I like the depth the hops provide, I actually think I liked it more when they were a bit faded. This is a delicious beer, and at $4 a can, it's actually fairly priced. This is a great, interesting, tasty, ever-changing beer that warrants your attention.

4.5/5 (4.5/5)

*UPDATED REVIEW from OCTOBER 4TH 2014*

Canned 9/26/13 and poured 10/4/14. "FLUORESCENT BLACK"

Appearance: Poured aggressively as possible into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Nice two finger dark brown, creamy head pops up and slowly fades to about half a finger and stays awhile. Absolutely pitch black in color. Beautiful, thick beer. (4.5/5)

Smell: Even straight from the metal can and a super cold fridge, this beer smells insanely good. There's just a phenomenal blend of dark fruits, roasted malt, coffee and chocolate, and then a little bit of alcohol to let you know you're not screwing around with a pansy beer. There's even a sort of vanilla/oak character to it as well, which is normally something only picked up in barrel aged imperial stouts. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: It's all there, I'm not sure what else you could want from a non-BBA'd imperial stout. First things first, awesome feel on this beer -- actually relatively unique for the style. It has a pretty full body, but it has a surprisingly prickly carbonation. The flavor up front is pretty good, but as the sip goes on and you get to the aftertaste, that's where Ten Fidy REALLY shines with an insanely rich dark roasty flavor, some dark, over-ripe dark fruits, and even a slight char kind of flavor. All the while, Ten Fidy is never all that bitter; it's brewed phenomenally well. A true World-Class imperial stout. My only knock is an ever-so-slight metallic note on the front and middle of just about every sip. It's FAR from brew ruining, but it's something I notice -- might have something to do with the fact that this was canned over a year ago, I don't know. (4.5/5, 4.5/5)

(4.5/5) / 4.56/5

*ORIGINAL REVIEW from MARCH 26TH 2013*

Canned 1/03/13 "One ’til November?"

Appearance: As you’d expect, the beer is pitch black with a pretty small head. The head is a dark brown, and the lacing is poor. Nothing out of the ordinary for an Imperial Stout, but it’s still very good looking. (4/5)

Smell: Probably my favorite part about this beer. I love the milk chocolate aromas I get, as well as the woodiness. I don’t get any sort of coffee note from Ten Fidy like a lot of people seem to get. However, I do get plenty of sweetness and dark fruit aromas. (4.5/5)

Taste: Super sweet with dark fruits up front, and the finish is almost equally as sweet with some smokey tasting malts in there. I was expecting SOME amount of bitterness in this beer, but I actually find it to almost be cloyingly sweet. Keep in mind I haven’t had many IS’s (maybe three or four), but this one seems to be the sweetest that I’ve had. Once the beer warms up a little bit, the sweetness dominates even more. The smell turns much more heavily to sweet, dark fruit, and the taste does the same... cherries come out a LOT once the beer warms up a lot. (3.5/5)

Feel: Along with the smell, the feel is among the best parts of this beer. As to be expected, super thick, coats the mouth wonderfully, and just smooth as all hell. The best thing about the feel though is that it never feels syrupy despite the thickness. (5/5)

Overall, Ten Fidy is a good beer ... when it’s colder. Given its ABV AND the fact that it’s a big Imperial Stout, it’d be hard to drink this one quickly. I find Ten Fidy to be much more enjoyable when it’s colder, as it gets much too sweet when it warms up, and the roasty tastes seem to go way in the background to the super sweetness. I’d definitely try this one again, but $4 for a can and about $15 for a four-pack is a bit too high for a guy that doesn’t particularly love RIS’s for the most part. Definitely try Ten Fidy and decide for yourself, and consider aging one that you don't drink.

(4/5) / 3.98/5