Ten FIDY | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

#271
4.5

Ratings: 9,911 |  Reviews: 2,623

4.26/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Black viscous liquid with one finger of dark tan head. A ring of lace as the head recedes.

S - Roasty sweet malt, chocolate.

T - Somewhat boozy at first. Chocolate flavors intensify as the beer warms. But the roasty flavors really dominate.

M - Thick, full bodied, and sticky in the mouth.

O - This a big bold beer full of roasty flavors, thick body, and high ABV. One of the best imperial stouts available for sure.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Can dated 9/24/12

Pours out so black and thick that it literally looks like used oil. Soft pour in the center of my glass leaves a half finger dark brown mocha head that doesn't stick around long. Smells like a typical imperial stout, dark malts come through most. Slight alcohol burn on the tongue but its nice. I don't see much difference in this can with 7 months on it than fresh which I had many times. Overall this is my go to Imperial Stout, to me it doesn't get much better than this for the style.

3.99/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big thanks to Hermthegerm for this!

Appearance: Black as death with a small head that quickly moves to the perimeter only. There is some lacing, which is more than I expected.

Smell: Big roasted malt, brown sugar, caramel, coffee, yum.

Taste: Barley and roasted malts combine nicely with subtle coffee. A hop punch hits in the middle and then fades as the malt becomes evident once again, fading into a bitter, clean finish. Booze is hid nicely.

Mouthfeel: Just right, not exactly viscous nor thin. Medium bodied feel that lends nicely to the downability of this beverage.

Overall: Glad I got to try this. Not my fav imp by any means but it's a quality beer.

4.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque, very dark brown, with a diminutive light mocha colored head that dissipates quickly. If the head was a bit larger, and I tried to create that with my pour, and long-lasting, this would have been an extraordinarily gorgeous beer. As it is, it's just really, really sexy. The nose is huge chocolate with some British yeast notes wafting at times. The mouthfeel is creamy and viscous. It dries out like Baker's chocolate at the finish. There's also a bit of carbonation bite that occurs late. The flavor is a bit lacking. There's definitely some dark cholcolate, a bit of lactose, and some tart cherry that emerges in the middle and lingers after all else has passed. Some coffee bitterness is also noted after the beer has been swallowed. This is a very good RIS, but not as good as, say, Old Rasputin.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

I have been on a stout kick as of late. This was my latest find. And what I have been comparing all of my other stouts to.

Poured into a pint glass. It was thick and dark like pouring motor oil from a can. It had maybe a quarter inch reddish brown had that quickly dissipated to a little bit of lace around the edges.

I was thinking I wasn't going to like this beer all that much. It smells like chocolate and espresso and dark fruit.

I took my first sip and it tastes almost like it smells and is velvety thick and smooth as it goes down with a warming feeling in your belly as it settles. It is very nice and smooth. It is well balanced and the favors just meld together.

My only complaint about it is that at around 5 bucks a can...it's pretty steep but at 10.5 abv you don't need all that many to have a good night.

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I was looking at the list of top imperial stouts on this site and came across this beer. My local distributor had it and I was surprised to see it was in a can. That threw me off a bit, but given the good ratings it has received on the site I decided to give it a try.
All I can say is wow.... it poured a very dark/black colour with no head whatsoever. The combination of flavors was very good with hints of chocolate and espresso in it. There was some sweetness on the tailend of the beer but it was not as bad as other imperial stouts I have tried. Overall an excellent beer.

4.25/5  rDev -3%