Mama's Little Yella Pils | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
good
Read the review
Mama's Little Yella PilsMama's Little Yella Pils

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Mama's Little Yella Pils - Our upcoming new canned good is a small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czechoslovakia famous. Mama's is made with hearty amounts of pale malt, German specialty malts, and a blend of traditional (Saaz) and 21st century Bavarian hops. Our first canned lager, it's also fermented at cool temperatures with a German yeast.

This tasteful reality Czech is the perfect antidote for the watered-down versions of pilsner clogging Americaâ's shelves. And Mama's gentle hopping (about 35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) mean we're finally honoring consumer requests for a delicious but less-challenging beer. (Hey, we like a good low-dose session beer, too.) Look for our Gold Metal Winner on US shelves in March.

Sadly, the Feds rejected our Take Two and Call Us in the Morning line on the can.

Added by GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Reviews: 870 | Ratings: 3,127

WOW!!! I can see how this won a gold metal! My goodness. I don't like pilsners (per se), but golly this is great. For the style, I can't find anything wrong with this wonderfully made beer. For me, this is the apitamy of what a summer drinkin' beer should be like...

A-Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a HUGE white fluffy head that has GREAT retention, and leaves strong sticky lacing.

S-The scent of the pilsner "funk" fills the air right away, then I sniff closer and BEHOLD... the aroma of slightly floral hops hit my nostrals. And of coarse loads of pilsner malts are the star.

T-It tasts GREAT. Like I said, I don't like pilsners, I guess this just might convert me because, the flavor of this one is outstanding. I don't remember if I gave any beers a perfect score, but for the style, this one deserves it, for real. Smooth pilsner taste with earthy, floral hops in the back to balance. A little detectable bitterness, but it's almost not there because of the cleanness of the bittering hop.

M-And the mouthfeel. It is perfect! So creamy and smooth. It's not crisp, it's creamy, and for this style I can't get enough of it. SOooo creamy. It has a full medium body, very good.

D-I could drink this all night long. It's so good. Please go out and get a sixer, if you have'nt yet. You will be rewarded.

4.97/5  rDev +37.3%

Some of the reviewers are a bit confused... if you are reviewing a " beer " that is one thing and if you are reviewing a sub class such as the above beer which is classified as a " pilsner lager" that is another thing.

This beer is exceptional... it is crisp, light, hoppy, refreshing, it has enough body to roll and is not overly carbonated. The greatness in my opinion of a good pilsner is it's ability to stay crisp and hoppy without allowing the malt to weight it down.

Troeg's Sunshine is great too, I personally am not a huge fan of victory's product, brooklyns pilsner was way too malty

I'm not a good reviewer but I can tell you what is quality to me

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%

Appearance: high carbonation, one inch head, clear, light golden yellow, with lacing that stays

Smell: malt/grass

Taste:honey, grass, and malt

Mouthfeel: sweet, light, crisp, can feel the carbonation

Drinkability: Totally sessionable. I am not usually a fan of the style and have had mixed results with this brewery. That being said, this is my new standard bearer for the style. This is totally refreshing and not other pilsners. I have had a lot of pilsners, and as of right now, this is the best I have had..Great beer for the style.

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can from a mix and match six pack, canned on 5/6/14 (at 10:20).

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a 1" rocky white head. Very good retention, and lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as I drink. Visible, fairly high carbonation.

Aroma: Strong European/noble hop aroma. Light maltiness. Clean.

Taste: Dry, grassy arrival. Complex hop delivery across mid-palate. Flash of sweetness, then very pleasant strong hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Hefty for a pilsner. Its weight was the first thing I noticed.

Overall: Perfect execution, if a touch heavier than what I'd expect. Outstanding noble hop character. I would definitely buy a sixer of this. In fact, it is better than the last Pilsner Urquell I had. Super refreshing.

4.65/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours deep yellow, crystal clear, with bright white head.

Aroma is distinctive grainy Pils malt and moderate spicy Saaz hops.

Taste is similar with bready Pils malt and mild bitterness. Very fresh and clean with no esters, skunky thiols or corny DMS.

Smooth medium body with medium high carbonation.

A fresh, outstanding Pilsner can be hard to find in the United States, but this one is perfect.

4.59/5  rDev +26.8%

Mama's Little Yella Pils was quite highly rated per se at the store I tend to buy my beer from, so I decided to try it out.

I would say that this is quite tasty Pilsner. Its polish perhaps shows around the edges per se, for at its core it seems lke a sort of nice refreshing, very drinkable beer.

"Around the edges" one may notice that its after taste is hardy and somewhat rich, and tastes "brewed" as opposed to sort of factory cranked out per se. Its body is perhaps one of its more outstanding features, as it has a nice texture, perhaps most apparent in the aftertaste per se. The smell is cool and refreshing, and the beer's color is a nice spring time/summer time goldish yellow I would say. The head is not too heavy and is perhaps a little more than medium on a scale of light-medium-thick.

Overall a tasty and very drinkable and refreshing Pilsner. It does sort of remind me of other more available and recognizable pilsners, but seems more polished with more attention to detail one might say, this attention being most noticeable in the finely crafted body and aftertaste.

4.57/5  rDev +26.2%

As a huge fan of Dale's Pale Ale, I had to check out Mama's little yella Pils. The beer is slightly cloudy when I pour it into a glass, which makes me slightly upset, because it's a Pilsner. I expect it to be brilliantly clear, but it's the 'right' colour more or less. I look and it and I think, "this is giong to be a mediocre pilsner", but when I smell it my whole perspective is changed. It's foral, bready, and spicy. Everything I expect. It's not as pungent as a Prima Pils, but it's very nice. It's everything I expect in a Bohemian Pilsner.

What happens after I take a sip of this beer? Well, to put it bluntly, fucking bliss. The combination of bready malts and spicy floral hops is brilliant. Behind everything is a sweetness that just blows me away. Seriously. Every time I take a sip or gulp of this beer there is a different flavour that makes me like it even more. I know my review will sound like this is an A+++ would buiy/drink again beer, but there is a slight part of it that takes away from a World Class Beer. First is it's not doing anything above and beyond a Pilsner Urquell or Prima Pils. It's tasty and solid, but besides being canned I see no reason to purchase this if I had a choice between Prima Pils (I know comparing it to the best pilsner in the US is wrong, buit you probably get my point). This beer is fucking awesome, but nothing above and beyond what a Pilsner should be. Just spot on to the style.

Mouthfeel? Pretty fucking ace. Drinkability? I don't think you can get any more perfect than this beer. It's a beer that I could drink all night, all day, and all morning!

4.51/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Plowing through a 6 pack of samples canned less than 4 weeks ago.

A: Crystal clear yellow with floaties. Obviously pre-filtered and can conditioned, which is ok by me.

S: Really nice clean aroma of grain and floral hops. No citrus, which is good.

T: North American 2-row graininess immediately followed by perfectly balance hop flavor and bitterness.

M: Silky, creamy, pillowy. I wish i knew how to replicate this at home.

O: Solid beer. Without a doubt it is an all malt American Pilsner. Don't expect a German Pilsner here.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

there's not much you can say that's not going to be positive about beer from the oskar blues guys. they got some skills.looks great.smells great.nice curtain on the glass.had two to wash down my bubba burger.tastes exactly like you think it should once you hear the name.

4.49/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught into nonic pint

Appearance: Straw gold with moderate-to-high carbonation, two finger fast reducing head

Smell: Biscuits, grass, minerals, wet grain

Taste: biscuits, grass, minerals, grains

Mouthfeel: Thicker, perfect, and oily

Overall: Brilliant beer that I'm glad I discovered in NC! If it was available in IL, I'd put it in my fridge.

4.49/5  rDev +24%

As a big fan of pilsners, this is top shelf for me. Please keep in mind I have just started to get into craft beer. For me, this is what a Bud or Coors is suppose to taste like. It is crisp, clean, and packed with flavor. It also goes very well with carne asada tacos!

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

A- Clear bright gold, one finger head.

S- Delicate floral hop note with smooth bready malt overtones.

T- Smooth bready sweet malts up front and well into the middle. An understated and delicate floralhop note brings up the rear without drowning out the wonderful malt.

M- Generally light with a pleasing fullness.

D- Bring em on!

I'm gonna have to re-visit some other Pils to double check, I might have a new champ.

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

A: Brilliant straw, crystal clear, perfect white head.

S: pure malt, light hop.

T: Pure biscuit malt, very clean. Slight sweetness, due to the fact of the noble hop bitterness.

M: Super light very crisp

D: I could drink a keg. Phenomenal pilsener.

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Mama’s Little Yella Pils has a thick, off-white head, and a hazy, yellow appearance with lots of fairly large brown chunks floating about, some bubbles, and a decent amount of thick lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of lemony, sweet, bread, and sting in the nose. Flavor is of bitter hops, sweet bread, lemon, and cracker. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Mama’s Little Yella Pils finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, mostly dry, and very drinkable. Overall, this is a most excellent beer. Try it!

RJT

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

We just recently started seeing this in south Texas. Long overdue in my opinion.

Pours a bright golden, clear straw color with a one-finger white head on top. Some lace retention. It appears almost a yellowish chartreuse color when held up to natural light. The nose is bold for a pils. Rich and malty with strong butter notes and some very faint citrus. Earthy. A great nose for the style; this really should set the standard for the American craft version of the Czech pilsner. Taste is very nice, again with a strong malt presence. I also taste buttered popcorn, faint vanilla, and sugar bread. Finishes with a smooth tangy hop bite. Mouthfeel is firm, at times creamy.

Another great beer from Oskar Blues. Full-bodied, delicious, and bold. I like what they do up there in Lyons, CO. The fact that you can take this beer camping makes it all the better. Really good stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

12oz can poured into Three Philosophers snifter.

Appearance - Cloudy dull yellow. Thin white lace.

Smell - Honey. Musk. Grain. Clean.

Taste - Very flavorful. Honey. Acidic. Sweet and almost hoppy?

Mouthfeel - Light. Bright. Sharp.

Overall Drinkability - Strong pilsner. Almost like an IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance: A clear, pale golden-straw body. On top, a bubbly white head that fades quickly and leaves very patchy lacing.

Aroma: Lemony and grassy Saaz hops over relatively rich grainy malt. Hints of white grape.

Taste: Up front, a crisp, lemony bitterness takes charge. Underneath, the backbone is close to the traditional Pilsener body, but with a bit more rich sweetness than usual. The aftertaste is short-lived.

Mouthfeel: A medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Dries a bit in the finish.

Drinkability: As you'd expect from this style, this is highly drinkable.

Verdict: In Mama's Little Yella Pils, Oskar Blues have created a straightforward, tasty, and very drinkable Pilsener - in fact it's one of the best Pilseners I've tried yet. If you're looking for a highly refreshing Pilsener sold in a can, this is certainly the beer for you.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My first offering from Oskar Blues and it did not disappoint. I have heard of this brewer for quite some time, from their Dale's Pale Ale to their Death by Coconut, I am sure glad I picked up this sixer of Yella Pils.

Into the glass it pours a hazy, almost Hefenweizen-like look with little head but very good lacing all the way down. The scent of the brew is a nice mixture of lemongrass with cumin, which pairs well with the hops. The feel was mostly smooth, somewhat crisp, but very dry towards the end. What caught my attention was the taste - almost sweet at the beginning, but then turning bitter towards the end but not so much it took away from the overall experience. This was one of the most complex beers I've had in quite some time and certainly not what I expected from the packaging. I guess they say about a book's cover is true, after all...

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a perfect shade of straw (for the style) smells to me Slightly lemony and slightly grainy. Taste is quite crisp, I LIKEY :) this is on a short list of Pilsener that I DO LIKE! Feels light and light-medium carbonation makes for a refreshing sipper or.... a easy guzzler. Over all a good beer for anyone, anywhere, anytime!

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

04/25/09- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 12oz can, forgot to look for freshness info. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Pale yellow color with effvervescent bubbles and a nice full inch creamy white head. Leaves some decent lace markings behind.

Smell- Strong nose of saaz hops and also a strong grain nose. Quite floral.

Taste- Hops are quite large and quite flavorful. Grain-malt base is the main flavor, but very fresh tasting.

Mouthfeel- Very creamy with a medium carbonation level. Nice hoppy aftertaste. Overall perfection in the mouth.

Drinkability- Easy to session, although the 5.3 abv sneaks up a bit. Wonderful pils IMO. I went right back out and bought the last six pack they had after I had a couple of them.

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

This is a great pool beer for the summer! Before recently you had to buy some inexpensive domestic beer to take places that do not permit glass containers. In my experience this led to me drinking the afternoon away on something that did not taste very good and left me regretting my beverage decision. Thank God the Oskar Blue's Brewery in Lyons, CO produce a number of great beers in the pool friendly aluminum cans. This delicious Czech style Pilsner is made with hearty amount of pale malt, German specialty malts and traditional Saaz and 21st century Bavarian hops. This is the perfect beer to show the world that not all American made Pilsners are water downed, flavorless beers that flood the shelves here in the U.S.

4.38/5  rDev +21%

12oz can purchased as a 6-pack from Julio's, Westboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" off-white head over the almost clear yellow (as advertised) brew. Dense head dwindles as bubble by bubble break, with good sticky lacing. Aroma is lightly sweet with citrus tinge to the hoppiness. Taste is sweeter than expected on through the middle, and then cuts with moderate prickly hops, and a crisp close. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and drinkability is superb. The sweet/bitter interplay is the main show here, great stuff.

4.36/5  rDev +20.4%

A- Big ass head on top of a super clear, light-golden, yella colored body with multiple streams of quick moving bubbles. Interesting lace and amazing retention.

S- Floury. herbal spicy. Clean along with a scent of lager yeast that smells like iron to me.

T- This beer really delivers for a clear, yellow beer. Sweetness of honey, grainy malt, warm bread along with bitter herbal hop flavors. Simple, yet complete.

M- A bit viscous for a Pilsener, but that is expected at 5.3%ABV. Carbonation is spot on, playful without being annoying.

D- Light, yet hearty. Simple, yet complete. A very fulfilling beer for the style.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

Maybe the best pilsner I've ever had.

A: A tiny amount of cloudiness but overall it's pale, golden and largely still.

S: A who's-who of nice pilsner smells, ranging from forest to field. Awesome.

T: Oh, yes. Here's where it all comes together. This is just beautiful. Buttered corn on the cob with black pepper and then a burst of lemon at the end. Just the right balance of flavour and refreshment.

M: There's a surprising among of body here for such a pale pilsner - this is one you'll remember.

I bought one can of this as part of a mixed six. Now I need to get a case of it. Absolutely incredible pilsner.

4.35/5  rDev +20.2%

I have heard a lot about this brew from friends. Saying for a canned brew, its pretty darn good. So with a punch of friends in philly after the Philly Beer Fest was cancelled, we gave it a try.

This brew poured a poured a very crisp and clear light yellow color. It had an amazing, white head that had some great retention. As you drink the brew, it leaves a very sticky lacing all over the glass.

As you pop the can, and pour you quickly get that nice aroma of a nice floral hops. It of course then follows by a punch of great pilsener malts.

The taste on this brew is great. It was much better then I ever expected. When you first see the can, you kind of have an idea on flavor being something the macros you find in cans, but this was different. This is once smooth brew. It has a great pilsener taste, and has a great, earthy/grassy floral hops that finish and give this brew a great balance.

It also has a great mouthful as well. It was smooth and creamy. Just the right amount of carbonation, with a nice medium body.

As for the drink, its so easy. Its a nice, crisp pilsener, that goes down very smooth. Its a great respresenation of the style, probably one of the best I have had. Since I started my reviews in Sept.

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew