Mama's Little Yella Pils | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
good
Read the review
Mama's Little Yella PilsMama's Little Yella Pils

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Mama's Little Yella Pils - Our upcoming new canned good is a small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czechoslovakia famous. Mama's is made with hearty amounts of pale malt, German specialty malts, and a blend of traditional (Saaz) and 21st century Bavarian hops. Our first canned lager, it's also fermented at cool temperatures with a German yeast.

This tasteful reality Czech is the perfect antidote for the watered-down versions of pilsner clogging Americaâ's shelves. And Mama's gentle hopping (about 35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) mean we're finally honoring consumer requests for a delicious but less-challenging beer. (Hey, we like a good low-dose session beer, too.) Look for our Gold Metal Winner on US shelves in March.

Sadly, the Feds rejected our Take Two and Call Us in the Morning line on the can.

Added by GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Ratings: 3,222 |  Reviews: 894

WOW!!! I can see how this won a gold metal! My goodness. I don't like pilsners (per se), but golly this is great. For the style, I can't find anything wrong with this wonderfully made beer. For me, this is the apitamy of what a summer drinkin' beer should be like...

A-Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a HUGE white fluffy head that has GREAT retention, and leaves strong sticky lacing.

S-The scent of the pilsner "funk" fills the air right away, then I sniff closer and BEHOLD... the aroma of slightly floral hops hit my nostrals. And of coarse loads of pilsner malts are the star.

T-It tasts GREAT. Like I said, I don't like pilsners, I guess this just might convert me because, the flavor of this one is outstanding. I don't remember if I gave any beers a perfect score, but for the style, this one deserves it, for real. Smooth pilsner taste with earthy, floral hops in the back to balance. A little detectable bitterness, but it's almost not there because of the cleanness of the bittering hop.

M-And the mouthfeel. It is perfect! So creamy and smooth. It's not crisp, it's creamy, and for this style I can't get enough of it. SOooo creamy. It has a full medium body, very good.

D-I could drink this all night long. It's so good. Please go out and get a sixer, if you have'nt yet. You will be rewarded.

4.97/5  rDev +37.3%

Some of the reviewers are a bit confused... if you are reviewing a " beer " that is one thing and if you are reviewing a sub class such as the above beer which is classified as a " pilsner lager" that is another thing.

This beer is exceptional... it is crisp, light, hoppy, refreshing, it has enough body to roll and is not overly carbonated. The greatness in my opinion of a good pilsner is it's ability to stay crisp and hoppy without allowing the malt to weight it down.

Troeg's Sunshine is great too, I personally am not a huge fan of victory's product, brooklyns pilsner was way too malty

I'm not a good reviewer but I can tell you what is quality to me

4.97/5  rDev +37.3%

4.88/5  rDev +34.8%

One of my favorite beers. Ever. Love

4.81/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is as close to the Eichbaum Pils I drank in Worms Germany while stationed there for 4 years. Damn Good.

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%

Appearance: high carbonation, one inch head, clear, light golden yellow, with lacing that stays

Smell: malt/grass

Taste:honey, grass, and malt

Mouthfeel: sweet, light, crisp, can feel the carbonation

Drinkability: Totally sessionable. I am not usually a fan of the style and have had mixed results with this brewery. That being said, this is my new standard bearer for the style. This is totally refreshing and not other pilsners. I have had a lot of pilsners, and as of right now, this is the best I have had..Great beer for the style.

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can from a mix and match six pack, canned on 5/6/14 (at 10:20).

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a 1" rocky white head. Very good retention, and lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as I drink. Visible, fairly high carbonation.

Aroma: Strong European/noble hop aroma. Light maltiness. Clean.

Taste: Dry, grassy arrival. Complex hop delivery across mid-palate. Flash of sweetness, then very pleasant strong hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Hefty for a pilsner. Its weight was the first thing I noticed.

Overall: Perfect execution, if a touch heavier than what I'd expect. Outstanding noble hop character. I would definitely buy a sixer of this. In fact, it is better than the last Pilsner Urquell I had. Super refreshing.

4.7/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +29.6%