Mama's Little Yella Pils | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
good
Read the review
Mama's Little Yella PilsMama's Little Yella Pils

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Mama's Little Yella Pils - Our upcoming new canned good is a small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czechoslovakia famous. Mama's is made with hearty amounts of pale malt, German specialty malts, and a blend of traditional (Saaz) and 21st century Bavarian hops. Our first canned lager, it's also fermented at cool temperatures with a German yeast.

This tasteful reality Czech is the perfect antidote for the watered-down versions of pilsner clogging Americaâ's shelves. And Mama's gentle hopping (about 35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) mean we're finally honoring consumer requests for a delicious but less-challenging beer. (Hey, we like a good low-dose session beer, too.) Look for our Gold Metal Winner on US shelves in March.

Sadly, the Feds rejected our Take Two and Call Us in the Morning line on the can.

Added by GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Ratings: 3,228 |  Reviews: 896

1.18/5  rDev -67.4%

Split a can of this last night. Thank God I split it, because I couldn't drink all of this.

Poured a fair enough golden yellow, smelling like hops, malt, and yeast. Innocuous enough.

But the taste. Oh, the taste. Sort of had floral-y notes to me....if they were incredibly stale. Every drink of this almost made me vomit, and I couldn't shake it. Ugh.

Typical carbonation, I guess.

Overall, one of the worst beers I've ever had. I mean, if people like it, go for it. Maybe this style just doesn't work for me.

1.25/5  rDev -65.5%

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%

1.64/5  rDev -54.7%

This was unfortunately a s***product.

Smell-smelled like methane. I thought someone had released air from their rearend but alas it was my pint of beer I just received.

I do not know if this was a very old keg, but this was worse than a mass market beer.
I

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

1.77/5  rDev -51.1%

Not impressed- big letdown here! Czech Pils, no way! No where near a Euro Pils. Buttery adjunct laden flavors & smells. Absolutely terrible & not up to OB's normal quality. Was all ready for a crisp hoppy Pils but this is nothing more than Schmidt's from Colorado. no hoppy aromas no hoppiness in the flavor & hardly anything impressive here- AVOID lovers of good beer. What were they thinking???

1.88/5  rDev -48.1%

Overall, this is a beer I do not like, do not prefer, and do no tthink is all that good. Not meaning to slam Oskar Blues at all, there are many, many of their beers I like, and I have toured the brewery line in Colorado two times...just not a fan of this beer...at all.

Pours a yellow/golden hue with a moderate foamy white head.

Smell and taste are of corn and wheat, clean almost plasticy tasting...

Mouthfeel is foamy...sudzy and somewhat thick...not really appealing at all....

Overall, not a good beer..lacks depth, flavor and taste....

1.97/5  rDev -45.6%

Cloudy yellow color. "Smells like crap" spoken by my wife. Not sure that this beer really works for my tastes. Very bitter aftertaste. Doesn't feel great in my mouth. This will likely be my only Little Yella Pils. I better go get another mystery beer to wash this down.

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew