Mama's Little Yella Pils | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Mama's Little Yella Pils - Our upcoming new canned good is a small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czechoslovakia famous. Mama's is made with hearty amounts of pale malt, German specialty malts, and a blend of traditional (Saaz) and 21st century Bavarian hops. Our first canned lager, it's also fermented at cool temperatures with a German yeast.

This tasteful reality Czech is the perfect antidote for the watered-down versions of pilsner clogging Americaâ's shelves. And Mama's gentle hopping (about 35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) mean we're finally honoring consumer requests for a delicious but less-challenging beer. (Hey, we like a good low-dose session beer, too.) Look for our Gold Metal Winner on US shelves in March.

Sadly, the Feds rejected our Take Two and Call Us in the Morning line on the can.

Added by GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Liked:
3.59/5
Alströms:
3.7

Ratings: 3,232 |  Reviews: 896

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Poured a brilliantly clear light (but not pale) golden color. Very little head, and what was there was very light. There was minimal lacing on the glass, although the visible carbonation in the glass was very appealing.

S - Mostly grassy and slightly sweet. Nice subtle smell, but not much really there. This is probably about normal for the style.

T - The taste evolved nicely from grassy to slightly bitter, to subtly sweet from start to finish.

M - Nice medium body with a slight bit of energy caused by the carbonation. I enjoyed swishing this one around for a bit.

O - Nice beer, although I have a hard time placing it. When I bought it I thought it would be a nice summer beer, but it wasn't quite there. I think I would place this somewhere closer to October as far as when I would prefer to drink it. It was good, but I don't consider it a great value, especially at 12-pack pricing.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice golden yellow body capped with a persistent white head. The aroma comes across faint yet malty. Bready malt flavors blend with a sharp hop bitterness. Light-bodied mouthfeel with a clean, crisp, dry finish.

A decent enough pilsner overall. The appearance is the best feature of an otherwise slightly above average flavor. Although nothing really stands out, this beer still warrants repeat visits when a simple lager-styled brew is what you're looking for.

4.09/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass...

A - A strikingly beautiful liquid gold...awesome thick frothy head...lots of small carb bubbles rushing to the surface...looks very inviting...though many would just drink from the can, you should try at least one in a glass to see the beauty : )

S - A nice mixture of sweet and bready grains with an underlying kiss of noble hops

T - Just as the nose suggested a great balance of grains and hops here...very drinkable...and super crisp and refreshing...mouthwaters for more after each sip...

M - A slight sting from the carbonation but gives it a nice refreshing bite...medium-light body...with all of its crispness it still manages a very nice creamy mouthfeel...a very nice finish...

Overall - I won't say this is my favorite Pilsner, but its definitely a very solid one, and I would definitely buy this again, especially for summer time drinking with spicy barbeque! I'll be drinking this with chicken and ribs over the fourth of July weekend! I love a good pilsner! Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a clear yellow body with a nice creamy head. The aroma is faint and reminds me of Cheerios.

Simple and straight forward biscuit taste with a hint of bitterness. Definitely does not finish clean. Medium body that lingers with unsalted butter feel and remains consistent as the cans mount. This is a session monster. Thankfully I have no need to drive tonight.

I like to try different styles (except sours) but always come back to this to reboot. Under rated and I concur a Gold Metal winner. It holds its own in the Oskar Blue line up.

Bring this to a cookout, picnic or clambake. It goes with just about any standard far (great with lobster-hold the butter) and may convert a few hop heads and the uninitiated alike.

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew