Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

GUBNA Imperial IPA | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

Added by natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

firstprev| 2901-2925 | 2926-2950 | 2951-2975  | next → last
Ratings: 2,962 |  Reviews: 975
4.41/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a crisp golden orange with a full thick and pillowy white head. Great looking.

Nose is all ripe pineapple rich sweet hop nose. Mouthfeel is rich, bold and big.

Flavors are rull of big, bold pine resin and grapefruit skin oil bitterness that is assertive and long lasting. There is a rich, citric underlying hit of sweetness and complexity with layers of flavors from a hit of malt to lemon pie filling to rich grapefruit, grapefruit skin and pine and pine resin.

Finish of big citrus oils and pine. This big hoppy beer can hold it's head up high with any of the complex and popular hop head brews.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Pours a clear golden/copper with about one finger of white head. Retains a decent cap throughout and leaves some nice lacing behind.

S - Big aroma, and it's all hops - piney and herbal with some subdued floral and citric tones.

T - A nice kick of resinous, piney/herbal hops comes through first. Very well balanced with a sweet malt profile that is just enough without being overly sweet. Finishes crisp and clean, leaving a delicious mix of floral, citric, and piney hop flavors lingering on the palate into the aftertaste.

M - Medium to light bodied with a resinous feel. A mellow carbonation that fits well.

D - All I can say is wow. For 10% abv, this is a dangerously drinkable brew. The flavor and balance are both excellent, and the lighter body for such a big beer lets this one go down so smooth. Gubna is definitely making its way into my regular rotation.

2.79/5  rDev -27.2%

EDIT: I never do this, but I’ve gone back and edited my review and scores for this beer because literally from my second can forward I’ve grown to detest this beer.
There’s something about certain hops (Summit being one of them…and the only hop used in this beer) that produces a garlic and meat-sauce like flavor that I just can’t get over. I believe it to be related to when the hops are added, but I’m honestly not 100% sure.
I admit to initially liking this beer for the first few sips and then it started to grind on me. By the end of the can I was pretty much choking it down.
Ever since, this has been a complete struggle to drink and one I won’t go back to. I don’t blame OB as some people love this beer and don’t pick up that flavor. Unfortunately for me, I do…and the Gubna won’t be in my fridge or list of taps I’ll revisit. I’ve tried to go back, but each time it gets a little worse.
The nose starts down the onion highway (but isn't too bad) but that flavor is something I can't get past.
It's a good looking beer with good texture, and probably a valiant effort for people who don't get onions from the hops. However for me it's a total dog.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

A: about one finger of white head. nice lacing. golden, crystal clear.

S: piney with a resin-type aroma. dominated by hops, no yeast or malt profile to speak of. a little eartly/wet as well.

T: obviously heavy on the hop taste, and little to no malt in the background. aftertaste builds the hops even more. outstanding.

M: light and thin with high carbonation. bitter finish that lingers.

D: really liked this beer. thought it was true to the style of a double/imperial IPA. if you like Dale's and like IPA's you won't be dissapointed.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

I had the pleasure of interviewing Dave Chichura (Head Brewer, Oskar Blues) about the Gubna for our store's email newsletter. Here are some excerpts:

---

Gubna Imperial IPA, your 6th canned beer and new seasonal, is an amazing beer. Not only did our entire staff love it, but everyone I have spoken with (including employees of rival breweries) is down right giddy about Gubna.

I'm right there with 'em. I've said it since the first pilot brew was tapped: This is one of the best beers I've ever brewed. It has struck a chord with everyone around here. The fact that it's big but doesn't drink like it, the huge hop aroma and flavor that have you bracing for an immensely bitter finish that in reality just balances the beer and leaves you ready for the next sip (or gulp).

I have read that Gubna is a single hop beer, using Summit hops exclusively. Why only one hop and why Summit?

We had gotten a bunch of Summit hops from one of our suppliers so we had some other hops to play with when we could. I had never used it before. A few months ago I used Summit to dryhop a small amount of Gordon before it was dryhopped as it normally is. I really liked the aroma it gave the beer and it went nicely with the flavor of the Gordon, too. As we talked about distinguishing the new beer from anything else we made, I thought the hop choice would be key, so Summit it was. It was worth trying on a 10 bbl basis. If the rest of the hop's attributes were as good as the aroma, it was an easy choice to make.

What can you tell us about the brewing process and the other ingredients used for Gubna?

Nothing. There's a gag order in effect. Actually it's pretty straightforward. It's a simple beer: 2-row, Munich and rye malt.

---

Anyways, I have been dying to sit down and review this beer, so let's get on with it. Gubna pours a crystal clear light caramel body with a white head. The aroma is HUGE. Pine needle and citrus dominate, but there is an herbal, earthy, almost savory element to it.

After my first swallow, I am struck by the remarkable balance of this beer. It has massive hop aroma and flavor, but when you get to the finish, the big, bitter astringent character you would expect to experience simply isn't there. It is incredible. Why is it so smooth?

Tasting notes are in line with the aromas. Some tangerine, grapefruit and lemon peel. Pine needles littered all over the place. And then this earthy, savory thing again. What is that? Is it the rye?

I keep taking sips in a losing effort to completely understand the flavors I am experiencing, when I realize I have finished a 10% ABV Double IPA in a matter of minutes. This is the greatness of Gubna. Its flavors are both familiar and new and it drinks more like a Pale Ale than a DIPA.

I try to avoid hyperbole. This business has WAY too much already. So I will simply say this: Just when you think the last thing the world needs is another Double IPA, Gubna comes around and sweeps you off your feet. Well done Dave, well done.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

J. Almond Gubna, whatever! Pours a amber golden color with great clarity. A soft white head with good retention and lacing through the tasting.

The nose is hoppy and more along the styles of a West coast IPA. Good citrus and grapefruit notes. More of a fruity hop note. Could be from some esters coming out. Some cat piss notes that I usually associate with simcoe. No real malt notes has its covered up by the hops. There is an odd almost butyric note on the back end that I just can put my finger on. But it mixes oddly with the fruity notes.

The taste is a bit more balanced. Some bitterness but this is a back ended IPA. Hops are also along the fruitier side, with grapefruit, orange and a light citrus note. Definitely simcoe with the cat piss notes. Some minor pine. This has a fresh hop taste to it. Some underlining malt notes with a honey character that emphasizes the fruitiness. Not really picking out the yeast but not as offensive as nose.

The body is moderate. Very easy drinking and no real off notes. I would have expected a bit more astringency but very clean. Overall a good DIPA that is more along the fruity side. Im sensitive to simcoe and there seems to be a bunch here.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours thick. A thin light tan head over a rich light orange-copper liquid. A few streamers run to feed the foam. Smells potently hop aroma with mild alcohol sting. Hop aroma is tropical, oranges, nectarine, iron, green onion. Baby aspirin and some pith.

Tastes potently hop flavored with strong hop bitter and an accompanying flat alcohol sting. Carbonation is strong and contributes to the assault, too. Hop flavors are so potent they almost come across as syrupy and sour. Lotsa green onion and baby aspirin. Plum skin, blood oranges, lemony pith, sand (like from a sandbox, not a beach). Weedy. Hop bitter is multi-dimensional consisting of a clean bitter and a raspy cohumulone bitter. Malt flavor, if any, is lost beneath the hops. Could be some esters of plum, but it's hard to tell if they are esters or from the hops. Very abrasive ending from the hop bitter, alcohol sting, and lingering super-hopp flavor. All in a dry mouth. Thick mouthfeel, which is strange that it can be so dry in the aftertaste.

4.29/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Poured from a can into an etched globe glass. Color is light copper with decent bright white head. Head is short-lived but lacing is nice, leaving threads that linger well after the initial head has dispersed.

Smell: Am I in a pine forest? Hops are obviously at the forefront of the nose, but pine notes dominate the more subtle floral tones. There is a background note of lemon peel.

Taste: Wow, I didn't expect this one to be so balanced. Expected an overly hopped tongue basher, but this is quite nice. First sip is subtly sweet, then spicy...then the hops take over. I still get more bitter pine notes from the hops then citrus, but grapefruit and flower petals help counterbalance the bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than one might think, has the mouthfeel of a dry hopped ale like Hazed and Infused. Carbonation was nice, not too much fizz to confuse the taste buds.

Drinkability: Dangerously smooth! I have had two of the 4-pack of cans and am seriously contemplating polishing off the others.

Overall, this is one of my favorite OB beers...been tending toward more malty beers but this may sway me back to the land of hops.

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%

The color of the beer is a golden yellow. It was much lighter than I expected. Nice head on it that lingers slightly as I drink it.

It smells like fresh hops. I love the smell on this one. It's just begging me to drink it. I pick up on some citrus notes that go alongside the piney hops.

My first sip consists of hops, some resin, a bit of malt, and some bitter citrus notes. A very nicely balanced IIPA.

It's very drinkable and it's definitely one of, in not my #1, favorite from the Oskar Blues line. I think I'll have another!

4.52/5  rDev +18%

Served cold, on tap, at Oskar Blues' Liquids and Solids in Longmont, CO.

It has a pale golden orange color with unusually good clarity for a double IPA. The head white in color and thick but short-lived. Some nice lacing is left behind.

Aroma is very hoppy. As the bartender (very friendly and knowledgeable, by the way) explained, it's like lifting a handfull of hops to your nose. It has a great fresh hop aroma - very citrusy and west-coast in style.

Flavor is excellent. Initially sweet, it quickly turns all grapefruit and sugared orange peel towards the middle. It finishes with a very bitter taste but yet I find myself drawn again and again for another sip.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with more than ample carbonation. I wouldn't have minded if it wasn't quite so bubbly. The alcohol is definately noticeable and not just after finishing the pint. It has a bitter burn that lingers just a little too long at the end.

Overall a fantastic version of the style. The tap handle showed what must be the eventual packaging for the Gubna - A rusty maroon colored 12oz. can. Note to self: look for said can in stores soon.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a light, glowing tan with a silky beige head. Excellent lace and retention.

Nose has fresh piney and floral hops, caramel, toffee and citrus fruits.

Bitter, resiny hops up front and through the finish. Super fresh and explosive hop profile is well balnced by a big malt base.

Medium to full body has great carbonation and a lasting finish. Great beer from Oskar Blues. Right up there with their best.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Visited the OB Grill & Brew last week on a trip out to Estes/Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park. Had a sampler of beer and tried the Gubna, or the way it was written on the chalkboard "Da'Gubna". Going off memory here:

A: Was surprised to see that an imperial IPA was a gold-yellow color. For awhile, I thought this beer was the German Marzen, but after realizing how hoppy it was I figured out it was indeed the Gubna.

S: Smelled of strong citrus hops. My thought was a big dose of Cascades. Very pleasant smelling.

T: Tasted great. Compared to the other samples of beer, this was easily in my top 2 of all other OB brews.

M: Very good feel as it was hoppy yet light.

D: Was considering ordering a pint of this after my sampler. If anything, that should say something as it was begging me for more.

firstprev| 2901-2925 | 2926-2950 | 2951-2975  | next → last