Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,913 | Ratings: 7,174
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

After some great advice from fellow BA's, I've been wanting to overcome my fear of cans. Always been of the impression that bottled beer gives off a bit more premium feel and a better taste. But I've been assured that's not true and Oskar Blues seemed like the best place to test the theory.

Appearance - Wonderful orange tinted color with a plump white head that was there for the duration.

Smell - Extremely robust citrus fruity and spiced aroma, this really got my pumped.

Taste - Very potent flavor for a PA, which pleased my palate. Pretty even balance with the strong orange, malty flavor being slightly edged out by the serious hops. Excellent stuff.

Mouthfeel - Very thick texture full of malty goodness and the bitter hops left an excellent aftertaste.

Drinkability - I'm officially cool with beers in cans and I'm pretty sure this is going to kick off a trend (cheaper prices and easier storage are bonuses), so Sly Fox here I come! Oskar Blues also made a great impression and I can forsee Ten Tidy in the future. This is an excellent APA and one you should definetly check out if you get the chance.

2.46/5  rDev -37.4%

Much sweeter than I had expected, but not bad in general. Lots of fruit flavors.. apricot, peach, and a touch of honey. Didn't detect much hops.. not exactly a well-balanced beer. One that I enjoyed to try, but I didn't have more than one. Not a terrible beer, but I'm not sure that I would recommend this beer to anyone.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Wow, good beer from a can! I was drawn to this pale ale in a can on my last trip to Colorado. The smell from the can is just great, I love a nice bold flavored pale ale. Hops are a big factor in this one. I fell so deeply in love with Dale's that my friends and I took a trip out to Oskar Blues to see how things were run. Have to say that they do have a few good beers, but Dale's has to be the best. Will likely hunt down Dale's in every beer store I go to. Too bad it's not in the Chicago land area...

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

My first OB beer! Obtained in a trade with jjayjaye, 12oz can poured into a Sam Adams specialty glass

Appearance is burningly bright orange with amber highlights, thin white lacing of head is minimal, fair lacing on the glass

Smell is moderate pine and citrus hops with sweet caramel/pale malts in the background, nice presence for a pale ale

Taste is a nice mix of lighter caramel sweetened malts and more of a pine resin hops, some floral and orange tones pop up in the middle, finishes mildly bitter with biscuit malts

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth and thick texture adds more heft than most pales, mild carbonation

Drinkability is high, a bold and nicely hopped pale ale with great malt presence and balance, the alcohol is non-descript and there is enough here to keep drinking all night long, i'm glad i have a second Dale's but wish i had easier access to OB here in San Diego. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future. . .

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to DrBayern for this lovely can - Rich thick, orangish amber color with a good sized offwhite head and plenty of lacing. Nice caramel sweetness and pleasant hops aroma to it with a well hopped and richly flavored taste as well. Very appealing full mouthfeel, great balance, and the 6.5% is hidden well. Best beer I've had in a can by far, and I'd definitely recommend this one.

Pours a coppery amber with a half inch creamy head that fades quickly to a surface froth leaving some sticky lacing.

Smell is strong initially of fresh fresh hops,a touch of citrus, a malty sweetness with butterscotch.

Biscuity malt overlayed with caramel and butterscotch are the initial flavors with an equally strong fresh hop bitter finish. Seems nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium, creamy and a bit oily and the carbonation is fine, perhaps a bit on the light side.

A very drinkable, and flavorful beer, unexpected to me as it's from a can but there is obviously some advantages to the fully sealed container. Recomended and a nice change from the other pale ales I've been drinking.

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

My pour resulted in a finger's worth of thick, deep-tan head with good retention. The nose was lightly hoppy with a definite pine scent. The color was a beautiful deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was thin-to medium with a tasty hops tang in the mouth. The finish was where the pine taste that I noted on the nose really asserted itself. There was also a gritty feeling in my mouth after the swallow, which I will attribute to the drying quality of the hops. It was not unpleasant, but it was notable. This was the first of their four canned products that I have tried, so I wish to reserve judgment on drinkability for an update once I have tried them all. As a pale ale, it was pretty average.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Recently purchased a six of this much hyped brew. Needless to say I expected more.

I realize canned beer is no longer an issue of concern for many given the inner construction which prevents any influence from the aluminum container, but still rightly or wrongly it cheapens the beer, particularly if it's not bud or pbr or of a similiar ilk. That being said, I'd be the first to suck down either one on a hot summer day, but if I'm looking for something more, a can is not the first thing I'd look for at me local packy. I suppose if the product were better, my mind could be changed. That did not happen in this tasting.

The appearance was copper with a yellowish hue. A thin one finger head, quite bubbly and active when swirled.

Not much going on in the nose of this one. I let it warm a tad in my new-design Sam Adams glass and noted some pineniness but that's about it.

Unusually aggressive hoppiness for a pale ale. Piney aftertaste and something else I can't put my finger on. An odd flavor.

Mouthfeel was light, somewhat biscuity and...average.

I think ol Oskar is getting way too much props for a beer that is too heavy on the hops for the style and unremarkable in taste. I'll give it another shot one day, but won't go out of my way to spend the sheckles on this offering.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz can copped singly from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield.. Top of the can boasts that this is "A huge voluminously hopped mutha of a Pale Ale"... heard a lot about this brew, and with all the hype, I must agree that this is certainly a solid sample and an excellent depiction of the style... Pours a copper, amber, golden hue with minimal frothy head that dissipated after a minute or so... smell was complete with hop-like aromas - bursting through, very fresh, crisp, clean, and clear... I must say that this is a very drinkable brew... with the relatively modest ABV of 6.5% combined with its ultra-fresh and refreshing flavor, this is quite a depiction of an American Pale Ale... good, creamy mouthfeel combined with a hopped, vanilla, and bittersweet taste leads to a great brew... My first sample from Oskar Blues and I was pretty impressed with this one... the aftertaste is bursting with citrus, lemon, and fresh florals... goes down as easily as water... Definitely recommended...

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: A lighter amber orange color with a billowing head with the right pour into a pint glass. Much left over as far as lacing goes, almost staining the glass at least with the initial pour.

Smell: There does seem to be a lot of hops in this sucker, as it's reminiscent to me more of an IPA. Nothing too nuanced, but balanced, with both the fruitier side and citrus side of the hops coming out.

Taste: By the far the best thing about this brew is the long and involved finish, a mix between sour cherries, sweet orange, and mild grapefruit, all lingering and long. With that are earthy flavors and sweet toffee. Finds the balance between complex and extremely flavorful very well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good crispness and a nice kick of carbonation at the end, leaving the long hoppy and lingering finish to do its thing.

Drinkability: I've heard a lot of non-craft and micro drinkers praising this, along with folks who are also BMC drinkers, and everyone's told me to try it. It's been years, and this is my first one. Thankfully, I can say that both were right, and I'm glad it's so readily available. The fact that a brew this good is in a can and does come from a can truly makes me think a lot of other breweries could pull this off, but I'm not sure why they don't try. I wish I could try the Ten Fidy, so let many of us hope it gets a higher distro rate in the future, if they keep making it that is. Next it's onto Old Chub for me, as I imagine, or hope at least, that it's as worthy as this brew.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

This beer pours an orange-amber color with a thick tan head with some decent lacing down the glass. It smells of medium roasted malts and some citrisy hops. The taste is just that. It starts with a nice roasted malt taste and then finishes with the citrisy and floral hops. The balance of those flavors is pretty good but not the best I've had. The mouthfeel is ok. Not as carbonated as I would have liked, but it was fairly smooth. The drinkability is pretty good as it is a decent beer and I could drink a few of these. The one great thing about it is that it tastes fresh from the can.

3.3/5  rDev -16%

Stopped into the Dugout on Comm Ave to meet some people, and saw they had cans on sale for $3.75. Grabbed one and poured it into a regular pint glass. Pours with a nice head that faded rather quickly. The color was dark orange, and the smell of hops was quite pronounced for a canned beer. The taste was pretty good, with just enough hops to make it above average, yet drinkable enough to not be a hop bomb. This is the kind of beer that I enjoy. A beer that has some hops, but not to overkill. More drinkable than other pale ales I've had, due to its smoothness. I'd definitely have a couple more of these in the future.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Purchase at Fat Cat Pie Company, in a can !

Appearance is orangey, with a medium sized head.

The smell is hoppy, slightly spicy, with hints of vanilla and cinnamnon aromas.

Taste is fairly hoppy, not overwhelmingly bitter and enjoyable overall.

Mouthfeel is slightly bitter but enoyable, a good balance of the different flavors.

Drinkability is solid, and its in a can, what a novelty.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a can a slightly hazy golden brown with a frothy off-white head.

Aroma is a nice medley of grapefruit hops, bread, light caramel, and malt.

The taste is citrusy hops and a touch of bitterness upfront and a malty finish.

Medium mouthfeel, slightly drying and lightly carbonated.

A very nice APA from Oskar Blues. So easy to drink and enjoy.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Pours a orange/ amber color with a creamy white head. Nice hop aroma- citrusy, almost liek an ipa would smell. Good first sip, faily smoot with a subtle hop bite. Can really taste a nice cascade hop presence, but not overly bitter. Very drinkable beer, I think it may have something to do with it coming in a can. Kinda neat.

Pours a orange-ish/ yellow/ copper color with a white head. In the aroma, big citrus grapefruity hops. In the taste, quite malty and grapefruity hops. A small bitter in the mouthfeel and a semi dry citrus aftertaste. Drinks more like an IPA, smooth with a nice citrus bitterness.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours clear orange with a very thick off-white, foamy head. The aroma is heavy with citrus hops, with some maltiness in the background. The taste has a pleasing bitterness, more pine and grassy hops than citrus. There's strong maal backbone to balance. Mouthfeel is resiny, with a dry finish. A very nice APA.

3.27/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Gold with a thick head and tons of little particles floating around.

Smell: Citrus, but an unappealing wet cardboard smell also.

Taste: Pretty good, starts with some sweetness before some earthy notes and citrus bitterness later on.

Drinkability: 12oz cans are perfect for disguising the smell and having several in a sitting.

This beer seems to be all over the place in the various categories. Looks fine, smells mediocre, tastes ok. I like 12oz cans better than 16oz, and it's great to have another craft ale in cans.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a golden amber with about a one inch off-white head that dissipates quickly. Some nice lacing going on here.

S - Hop aroma for the most part with some malts present

T - It tastes like a great pale ale, especially coming from a can. Lots of hops to begin with followed by a pleasant bitterness.

D - I enjoy a good pale ale so I could drink quite a few of these with no problem and the fact that they come in cans is a bonus.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

I heard about this good beer that comes in a can and I've read reviews, but I didn't think it really existed until I saw it myself.

As I write this I'm working on my second can of the night and I might have a third one before I'm done.

Cloudy copper with a two-finger head that leaves nice lacing on the glass I poured this into.

A hoppy aroma and I'm picking up some malt aroma as well.

A nice, hoppy flavor with some malt. It's smooth, but it's kind of syrupy for a pale ale.

This is pretty decent and it's something I'd try again. I wonder how it is on draft? I just can't get over the fact that a beer like this comes in a can.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

It comes in cans? After trying this for the first time at Flat Top Johnny's I was converted. 12oz cold aluminum can poured into pint glass. Deep amber and sudsy with off-white head, it doesn't look like it came from a can.

Smells hoppy like a pale ale. Taste is big and immediate and full of hops, pleasantly bitter, but follows with a big neutral maltiness which isn't too sweet but balances well. More drinkable than an IPA, but nearly as sharp. I would not have guessed the ABV was anything over 5%.

I don't detect any metal in the flavor, although I did have the sense to pour it in a glass. The glass is accumulating a nice collection of white lacing.

Overall, a tasty, very balanced, and accessible everyday beer, and very economical given its high quality.

2.98/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper color, small head but lots of lacing. Very clear

Hops are there, but there is a lot of specialty malt showing up that overpowers the hops.

Very, very caramely flavor. There's some biscuit in there as well, but it's more like a slightly hoppy amber in flavor.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated, but very heavy and syrupy for a pale ale.

Way too many specialty malts in this beer for the style, also too high an ABV. That being said, it's very tasty despite BJCP guidelines. I've had this a few times and do enjoy it even though it's a bit heavy and caramely for what you would expect by reading the can.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

I have to admit originally being put off by the can concept and was naive in thinking a quality ale wouldnt come out of it. Man, was I wrong. This beer was a pleasure.

12oz can poured into mug.

A: Copper gold pour with generous head and great lacing.

S: Surprised by the strong aroma of hops which really dominated.

T: Terrific balance of malts and bittering hops. The one dominant flavor accompanying the powerful hops was caramel.

M: Oils from the hops are sticky with a solid backbone.

D: Through the roof, this is a great beer to sit down and enjoy. Looking forward to many more.

I cant wait to enjoy more of these, what a perfect football watching beer. Would like to some time try on tap too.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Okay, saw a forum post ranting about the stuff and happened to see it out. Served in a standard pint glass. Poured a honey-copper color. Half-inch head dissipated into a mere skim of foam; a little lacing, but not particularly abundant, although decent, thin adherence. Scent of hops and some citrus fruit. Taste similar to nose with a mellow, tart finish (citric acid perhaps) that lingers just a little too long leaving a bit of an aftertaste. Lively full mouthfeel. Pleasantly drinkable for a canned beer, but it is about at the end of my hops limit.

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A: The head on this beer is very small, however it sticks around and is relatively sticky the hazed copper color is also nice
S: none, none that i can pick up, no "traditional" hop aroma or anything that would indicate what type of beer this is
T: this seems apa, its hoppy with a twang of dry bitterness, there is an undercurrent of malt and there is somewhat citrus type notes
M/D: this beer has a drying effect in the mouth which to a degree is nice, but i feel this might be a bit too much its not bad, but drops the score a tad

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew