Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,914 | Ratings: 7,175
3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

A: The head on this beer is very small, however it sticks around and is relatively sticky the hazed copper color is also nice
S: none, none that i can pick up, no "traditional" hop aroma or anything that would indicate what type of beer this is
T: this seems apa, its hoppy with a twang of dry bitterness, there is an undercurrent of malt and there is somewhat citrus type notes
M/D: this beer has a drying effect in the mouth which to a degree is nice, but i feel this might be a bit too much its not bad, but drops the score a tad

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Beautifully clear amber pour, frothy white head, nice carbonation – we are off to a good start.

A floral aroma greets me, and it’s a steady influence in the quaff. Some pops of a woody resin adds to a enjoyable drinking brew. Crisp finishing, perhaps just a small tinge of an oily film, perfect for a straight pale ale.

I am, once again, impressed with the can craft. Ready for more breweries to make the switch.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Caramel brown color and semi transparent. Head is minimal after pouring form the can. Lacing is present down the sides of the glass.

S- Hoppy and buttery with nice caramel malt aroma.

T- Buttery and biscuity with hoppy bitterness, and also has a sweet caramel backbone present.

M- Medium to thick and low carbonaiton. I would have liked a little more sting here.

D- Little too sweet for guzzling, but very enjoyable still.

Overall- Thanks to jhammerly for this one thrown in as an extra! I like this beer and love the fact it is in a can. That makes it more "packable" and very nice for tailgating, etc. Good brew and I will revisit it again soon.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Poured a copper color with an off white head

S - Is of a whole lot a hops not that thats bad

T - If you like hops this is a good thing

M - This is a medium bodied brew

D - I enjoyed this beer I thought it was good but I think its a little over hyped its worth trying sometime

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Pours a hazy orange topped by a small fluffy white head that eventually diminishes. Moderate lacing down the glass. Smells of piney, floral hops. The taste is a wonderful juggling act of the pine and floral balanced with a solid malt base, nice caramel tones too. Mellow finish that lingers, makes me salivate as I imagine the next sip. One of the best beers in a can that I've had.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

My opinion is unfortunately tainted because of my love for all things bitter. With that said, I don't know why there are a certain few that can't stand this beer. I would think it could harbor a mediocre review on style compatibility alone- this is an APA and tastes/drinks as such. I, of course, think that it's the best thing in a can that is out there, and one of my favorite hoppy brews overall. If you like hops, then this will double the size of your hop head. Sure it's unbalanced, but that is the appeal of the APA- an overhopped IPA. Am I right? And to validate my opinion, I had this beer on a non-hyped recomendation of a liquor store owner on my visit to the Carolina's- I'd never even heard of it before then. So, hyped or not, from a one hop lover to the next, buy a six and enjoy.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

On tap at Barly's Taproom in Greenville, SC.

Beautiful in its amber redness. Thick, rocky head with a sticky lace throughout the pint. Aromas thick of hoppy resiny goodness. Flavors balanced incredibly well with the hoppy goodness and the hardly-too-sweet maltiness. This brew gently yet affirmatively covers the palate in a noncloying way. Great balance and a well sessionable brew. True, in mainstram circles, the red headed stepchild of Gordon, but still, a fantastic session pale ale, especially on tap.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

pours rather hazy...medium straw color.
have to admit it is strange drinking out from a can.
Nice head..lacing is very good.
I smell citrus, caramel and bread..a slight tin noted in the nose as well.
Taste is good. Malty and floral. Citrus note, grapefruit...very ditter finish
Pretty good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

appearance – Clear orange color with not much head here.

smell – Citrus hops smell here along with some pine smell.

taste – Has a hoppy taste that has a orange taste to it. Some malt taste here, very little, has a bitter taste too.

mouthfeel – Light -medium body with some bitterness.

drinkability – Too much hop taste for me, big for a hop head though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent APA in a can. Nice copper color and hop aroma, though not as floral and citrusy as the more extreme hoppy beers. A solid offering by all accounts though, with a nice balance of hoppy citrus and pine. Bonus points for using updated can technology to enhance freshness and portability. I have purchased a case and a half of this stuff because it flies off the shelves at my local store. Noticed some consistency variations between canned batches, but very minor, and this is to be expected with craft brews I suppose. One 12 pack was a bit smokier than the other, but nothing damning. Though Dale's is good in the can, I have to say it is much better on tap to my taste buds. I want to try the Gordon IPA next.

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from the 12oz. can into a pint glass. A nice copper color with a good white head, that left nice lacing as it slowly faded. Off to a good start here I'd day.

Aroma is nice and earthy, some piney hops and almost musty (in the damp forest kind of way) malt aromas combine for an interesting complexity. Some nice balance here in the aroma. Taste has some piney hop character upfront which quickly turns bitter for a long harsh finish that won't quit (that's a good thing!). This is all the while backed by an earthy malt character. A bit of alcohol in the finish as well.

This beer has good body, yet is not filling. All in all it's a great drinkable APA. I've been burning out on the style of late but this one is distinct enough to make me glad I bought the sixer.

The can is a big plus IMO. Keep it up guys!

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Here we go with the famed Dale's Pale Ale in a can. Pours a clear gold with a ruby touch. Good sized head that sticks around. Nose is very heavy on the hops with a strong sweetness. Flavor is *really* heavy with the hops. It's almost an overkill to me as it seems to be somewhat imbalanced. Too much in my face, I mean mouth. Just lacks a even flow. It's like the beer is yelling out, "Hey! I'm a micro brew in a can! Woo hoo!" Feel is a little lighter than I'd want. Overall I have to drop the drinkability down because the hops are too harshly over-pronounced and it lacks balance. Sure, they are "pioneers" of sorts by putting a micro in a can, but that is not enough to save the production. It's what's in the can that counts.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Poured a light copper color with a little haze. Got a bout a half inch of head. Retention was great. lacing was good.

S - Hops are the major player in this beer. Comes across as a citrus hop aroma. With a little work I think I found a sweet aroma in the background (could be caramel malt).

T - Citrus hops really stand out but are balanced very well with a lingering bitterness. There is a sweet background that really adds to the experience in a good way. The balance of flavors is really good.

M - This one is medium to full bodied. Carbonation is on target. Finishes really dry, but that makes the beer even better.

D - This one was great (for a beer in a can). Glad I got to try it. If I get the chance...I will buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

I passed on this when recommended at one less beer-savvy store, simply due to the whole US-canned-beer thought. The next store was filled with beer-savvy experts, and they again highly recommended it-- SOLD.

Immaculate. Just think "grapefruit" and you'll be on the right track and in the right mood for this. In some ways, though, I'd put this in my "specialty" beers category-- a mood-beer.

In retrospect, however, I believe I might prefer the Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale to this beer.

A= colorful glowing orange-yellow-brown, with a massive sudsy head and lots of lacing that stayed until the end.

S= very exciting and complex nose, from the start-- floral bouquets, citrus, slight sweetness, all the other good stuff.

T= it brags on its ultra-hops but they are more of the pleasant-sour floral kind, not the ultra-bitter hops. Zesty grapefruit-taste with mild sweetness of honey, woody pine, slight smoky-ness, pleasant finish and after-belch.

M= lovely with no complaints whatsoever.

D= based upon its "modest for a great beer" 6.5ABV, and if you're in that sort of grapefruity mood, very drinkable in session. It's very drinkable-- but... only if you're in that mood. Think of it as that bench-player who you only call upon at "just the right time."

Reminds me a little of mid-Atlantic region Clipper City (Baltimore) Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, and some of Manny's Pale Ale out of Georgetown (near Seattle), Washington State.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

12oz can picked up at the Boise Coop for about $1.50.. shared with a friend... my half from a Derlirium tulip.. listening to Sasha Live at the Avalon.

Nice crystal clear burnt orange brew with a suprisingly sticky long lasting head.

Aroma is smack you in the nose hair citrus.. grapefruit ... floral hops.... a nice punch of toasty malts... actually the aroma reminds me of a fresh off the tap PNW IPA.

Flavor definately lends itself more towards the malts... caramel and munich.. but still a boat-load of hop flavors are there with just enough bitterness to balance. Oily hops lend well to the ample viscosity. Very very good all around.

I know it's been said a bunch of times in reviews for this brew.. but once more won't hurt.. Canned beer is the wave of the future. No oxidation.. no light concerns.. I hope there is going to be more of a canning revolution.
As far as Oskar Blues goes, I've had this one quite a few times with the Old Chub and Gordan... even having the Ten Fidy (mega karma Dan) for the first time (from a can) about a week ago, and I say it doesn't matter a bit if it is in a can... this brewing company rocks.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Dale's 12/8/2007

Alrighty then...I gave into peer pressure and tried this one.

Haze had me a little worried. Of course it cleared as the beer warmed. Good color. Nice head. The taste is - Clean. Crisp. Perfect hop/malt balance. Fruity. Earthy. Pretty light feeling beer. Outstanding mouthfeel.

This beer is very good. I'm glad I tried it.

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a can to a 12 oz can the liquid is a dark orange with very good carbonation. The head is nice 2 fingers off white foam that leaves some lace.

The smell is good piney hopy aroma.

The taste is even better, A sweet piney taste with a splash of citrus grape fruit and orange. The after taste is bitter yet not stale. Very nice indeed.

The mounthfeel is good nice body for an IPA and good carbonation.

The drinkability is great, and from a can this is really really nice.

Prosit, MK

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

I think this brewery's idea to skew conventional wisdom and serve their beer in cans is novel and necessary. After tasting it I'm not sure why more companies don't do it! This beer pours an amber color with a generous head. The smell is deliciously hoppy with an extra sugar kick. The taste is special as well, and for some reason you can tell it seems to come from a can. It gives it a certain crispness, but in now way cheapens the beer as a whole. The bitterness seems to take over the mouth and suppress any maltyness that would otherwise be apparent.

On-tap 11/29/07 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a golden brown color, with a medium foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts with some citrus and hops.

T: The taste starts out with a nice burst of hops bitterness up front, then some sweet flavors of citrus and caramel that come in next along with a hearty malt character that provides a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a good beer to drink for a long time.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

Overall a really well balanced beer. I paid $9 for a six pack so the can thing feels sort of gimmicky. Texture is creamy in a pleasant way, excellent hop flavors, head retention was a little weak. Nothing too fancy going on here but this is a quality drinkable beer. Reminds me a little of Bridgeport's IPA which is definitely a good thing.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

From my notes this August:

I finally went for the can. I am ashamed it took me this long. This is aroma and flavor nirvana for hop heads looking for an American Pale or American IPA.

I like my pales and IPA's to have a real balance and respectable backbone, and it never hurts to have that piny almost syrupy resinous smell of wonderful North American hops.

Oskar Blue's strikes gold with Dale's Pale.

Moral of the story, don't fear the can.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Best beer in a can anywhere!

Why don't more brewers use cans? They are selling the hell out of this beer.

Pours a nice golden orange, a little cloudy, usually, but ok.

Wonderful hop aroma with some bready and caramel notes in the back.

A great APA-EPA beer. I think it is a more integrated grain bill like an English but using American hops.

Buy it whenver you can, give it away, don't let them go out of business.

A Backpackers Beer!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz can poured into 20oz guinness pint glass.

A- Nice copper hue, with a sight chill haze, thin but enduring head with slight trace of lace

S- Clean, citrus balanced with caramel

T&M- YUM!! Hops and malt in near perfect unison that is not very common in a pale ale. The light carbonation closes the deal, as the brew effortlessly slides across the tongue.

D- Every time I have this brew, I wonder why it's not my everyday beer. Now that I can find it close to the house, it will be. The icing on the cake, it's also a great value.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - High quality American microbrew in a can? I love it. I've always liked the British ales that come in cans...it's just a much better package than a brown bottle. A fat three finger fluffy, dense, and pillowy head rises above a clear copper brew, and leaves tons of sticky lace on the glass. Head retention is outstanding, and this has some of the nicest lace I've ever seen on a pale ale.

S - Wow. Starfruit, passion fruit, mango, sweet canned pineapple rings, some banana, Juicy Fruit gum, and hints of mandarin orange. This is ridiculously fresh, fruity, and sweet in the nose. Smells like tropical fruit salad. I smell a fruitcake and marshmallow malty aroma too. This is very nice!

T - Tropical fruit, kiwi, mango, big flowery hops and some gritty earthy tones. Fresh, fruity, and floral. Seems very British and earthy. Mushrooms, dead flowers, and soggy mud from a river bottom. That all sounds bad, but I like those old world flavors!

M - Soft, lush, fine carbonation creates a very mellow attack on the tongue. Very British and understated. The finish is dry, gritty, dirty, and hoppy.

D - I think that this is a well built and tasty brew, but it may be a bit overrated. I think that good beer in a can is a great idea, and I wonder if this would garner such high reviews if it was just another bottled beer. I like this beer a lot, but the flavors seem a bit too odd to session.

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally tried this one at the Old Bay the other night. Liked it a lot and grabbed a six pack of cans today.

12 ounce can, shaker pint.

A - Fairly murky haze to this orange tinted golen amber color. About a finger of head forms and stays. Nice looking pale.

S - Nice hoppy aroma. Very straightforward. A nice citrusy hop smell. Great APA smell all the way.

T - More hops on the taste. A nice malty flavor as well though. This brew has some balance for an American pale.

M - Fairly full for an APA. Coats the mouth well.

D - Goes down nice and smooth.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew