Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,914 | Ratings: 7,175
4.01/5  rDev +2%

Served from 12 oz can into 10 oz nonick half pint taster.

Pours a beautiful red-amber, crystal clear, with a nice fluffy tan head of fine bubbles leaving good lacing.

Aroma is balanced nicely between rich caramel and malt aromas against strong resinous hops.

Flavor is likewise very balanced, slightly low on bitterness compared to the strength of the malt and hops flavors.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin at the finish, due to low bittering I think.

Drinkability is great. I think this is a classic English style pale ale, not overly hopped with west coast hops, but well-balanced and malty. Quite a beer. Given the bold flavor and high ABV, bittering could be a bit stronger.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up a single can of this at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

Pours a hazy orange/brown, thick off white head forms, tons of lacing, great retention. Smell is very malty, caramel, citrus, floral, flowery sweet hops, maybe a bit old, hops are pretty subdued, smells like a hoppy brown ale. Taste is similar, super malty, caramel, grains, citrus, flowery hops, very assertive bitterness, nice and grassy in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, medium carbonation, very thick flavour, easy to drink, don't taste the 6.5% at all. Nicely done!

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I was completely taken by surprise by this beer at the Empire Brew Fest during a recent visit to Syracuse. I'd never even heard of it before and it didn't look like much to get excited about, cos canned beer's crap right?...but a lot of people were soaking it up and since my mission was to sample as many different beers as I could, I thought "what the hell". Imagine my surprise when I found that it was the best beer I'd tried all night - and most of what I'd had previously was top rate. It tastes more like an IPA than a APA to me, but who cares...This is one fantastic beer and sadly I have now depleted my stock of it that I brought back to Florida. Yet another reason to move back North.

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%

This really is more of an IPA than a Pale Ale. Pours a hazy orange amber with a big stiff head and nice lacing. The smell has as much citrus piny hops as many IPAs. Medium bodied, the mouth feel is adequately carbonated and primarily influence by the bitterness of the hops. Full flavored, the hoppy grapefruit taste is balanced nicely by sweet malt. A real god drinker. A bit pricey.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz can...in fact, two of 'em, poured into a big plastic pint glass. (plastic? - hey, I'm by the pool, so gimme a break)

pours a saliva-inducing peachy copper color, with a thick cream colored head that lasts a while and laces nicely.

I love that I've finally got some beer that I can take in my cooler out to the pool and still have something that tastes great. I may spend a lot more time out there now. Aroma is full of pale and lightly toasted malt and plenty of citrusy hops - I dig it!

look, this isn't the best beer I've had by a longshot, but it is excellent, and perfect for what I was looking for by the pool. Bitterness is up front, but not unpleasantly so. Lemon and grapefruit make big appearances, with the malt well in the background. I strain to decide if I detect a faint metallic taste here, but if it is there it is damn well hidden by this "voluminously hopped mutha." Pretty clean and crisp and leaves just a tantalizing hint of bitterness in the finish. Carbonation and body are medium and I could drink several (more) of this extremely refreshing brew and probably will.

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured a dark amber color with bountiful off-white chunky head. Good retention with great lacing.
Smell is hoppy, combining grassy, piney and citrusy notes very nicely.
Taste is absolutely superb. The malt at the beginning is perfectly sweet and the hops slowly creep up and lead to an extraordinary finish. The taste becomes even better as the beer slowly warms.
The finish is dominated by the dryness, which is nice because it beckons for another taste.
Truly a well-made beer. I'm sorry I only purchased one can.

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this beer over 2 years ago on our "Beegrimage" to 10 Colorado breweries in 2 days. Oskar Blues was on our list. So when a friend offered to bring me a box of 12 cans back from Colorado, I was overjoyed.

A nice retentive head, exceptional caramel malt flavor, and superbly balanced hop bittering... does it get any better for APA lovers? It's strange to open a craft beer from a can, but the hop aroma that sifts out is amazing. The 12 oz can was just like I remember the draft when visiting the brew pub.

4.52/5  rDev +15%

Thanks to HopDawg who gave me a can at the Lowcountry Libations Homebrewing club meeting.

I have wanted to try this beer for a long time. Firstly, because the nazis at my condo pool will not let bottles anywhere near the pool and the novelty of a canned micro beer. Like many beer fans I went through a phase where I would look down my nose at a canned beer.

Poured from a 12 ounce can with a cryptic code (7 02 16 A 2_B A) into a pint glass.

A. Poured a beautiful orange amber with a healthy but quickly settling head.

S. Hops are strong, citrus and pine.

T. Again strong hops with a lingering maltiness.

M. Nice dry finish with a lingering of hop oil.

D. This is a great session beer! Even without regard to the can novelty, this is a great APA! This would be graded as high in a bottle even. I will be returning to this beer as soon as I can get some more.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Easily the best canned beer in America, and a contender for the best American IPA, especially in terms of the elusive drinkability-hop flavor combination. Similar to Dogfish 60 Minute but even crisper and more fun in the can. This is a true desert-island brew: the one you'd want, and a good way to introduce novice beer folks to the better stuff out there. Somehow they are less intimidated by a can than big bottles with champagne corks. It's a great summer thirst-quencher and also kicks ass with anything grilled or barbecued. I just made myself thirsty.

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%

Dark copper color with perfect clarity and massive head.

Tons of malt and bread aromas with some floral hops and dish soap in the back.

Caramel, toffee, grain and bread flavors are pronounced. Some orange marmalade and spicy hop flavors in the finish. Nothing exciting.

Heavy mouthfeel- creamy, silky, and full bodied. Nice beer and very drinkable, that being said I prefer APAs to have a bit more hop flavor, less alcohol and a lighter body.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

first off, this is the best beer i've had out of a can. i had the pleasure of drinking this on the lake while i listened to some fat fuck extolling the virtues of "the silver bullet" vs. miller lite. ugh. anyways, more on the side of malt sweetness than surly furious. this beer has some qualities that are reminiscent of the great alpha king as far as aroma and flavor. this was a rich copper in color with just a tinge of haze and an off-white head. aromas of caramel malts and citrus are prevalent in the nose. nice malt sweetness and a resiny, lingering hop bitterness make for a very well-balanced and bold apa. creamy carbonation and a light to medium mouthfeel. this is a great beer for summer activities due to it being in a can, and damn tasty as well.

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a hazy orange amber with a thick, frothy and very well-sustained orange white head. Pleasant hop aroma. Really more of an American IPA, the hop character here is very nice; though it’s certainly quite spicy, a delicious orangey citrus quality shines through the most. The caramel malt, while less rich, is tasty and does balance fairly well.

I enjoyed this balanced, drinkable beer. I love the fact that it comes in a can too. Like it or not, these economic, environmentally-friendly containers are probably the future of craft beer packaging. And, so long as they put beers this good in them, I for one don’t mind.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Slightly dinged up 12oz can purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.39.

Poured a copper color with a big, creamy white head that hung around for a while and left lots of lace on the sides of my glass.

When first poured, the nose was dominated by a bready maltiness. Once it began to warm up, a piney hoppiness became prominent as well.

The taste is much like the nose. A bready maltiness is partnered up with a tasty but not overdone pine/resin hop flavor. A very slight dryness is noted at the swallow. The hops are not as prominent as in many west coast pale ales I've had, but they are still an equal partner to the malts.

The mouthfeel was fairly typical for the style. No surprises here.

A very tasty pale ale that is extremely drinkable. The abv's a little high to make it a session beer, but it's definitely hitting the spot and will be purchased again.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

One of the beers I tend to turn to in the summer mainly because it's the only thing that tastes good that I can find in a can.

A: Nice copper red color with a big lasting head. The tiniest of bubbles continually flow to the top sustaining the head. LOTS of lacing is left behind as you drink this one. It really is a pretty brew if you take the time to pour it into a glass.

S: It has a nice earthy hop aroma, not at all citrus. I note grass and sweet pine sap.

T: Good tasting pale ale that almost leans to the IPA side if you ask me. There is a nice balance between mild malt and piney hops. Has just enough kick and finishes both bitter and sweet. Pretty complex for something that comes in a can.

M: Light and smooth.

D: Flows down my gullet like water. A very drinkable beer.

Overall: This is a nice beer to turn to on them hot summer days. The can lets you take it anywhere you want to go. Also because of the aluminum its get extra cold in the cooler. Pop this one open at the beach on the hottest most humid of Florida days and you are in heaven. Oskar Blues make some good tasting drinkable brews. Have had the entire lineup, now I need to get around to drinking them again so that I can review them.

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours crystal clear amber with a nice dollop of not quite tan head.

Rich ambergris- citrus notes mingle with caramel aromas in the nose.

Clean hop flavors up front blend to sweet caramel midtongue.

Medium body, nice carbonation, this is a nearly perfect APA.

A- Hazy translucent amber body with thick off-white head that quickly fades to a nice collar. Plenty of lacing left behind in the glass.

S- Citrus hops and grapefruit hit the nose first. Some pale malt follows.

T- Good balance of citrus hops and malt upfront with hints of grapefruit. Finish is clean with hints grapefruit and bitter hops. Slight bitter hops linger on the palate.

M- Low carbonation and medium weight body. Goes down smooth.

D- This is a drinkable ale with an enjoyable taste. I think of it more as an amber ale than a pale ale. Well done and something I will have again.

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 12oz can into a standard ale glass cold.

A - Not even a pssst as the pop top is depressed. A dark copper w/ a full 3 finger off white head. Lace is left in a haphazard array.

S - Citrusy hops and the sweet scent of pale malts. An almost lactic scent is noticed.

M - Citric, bitter w/ a hoppy oil feel. A medium bodied ale w/ a dry finish. Nice accents of hops and spice in the texture.

T - A sweet crystal malt taste that allows a very potent, but flavorful blend of hop tastes to emerge. Woody noble hops take presidence an late citrus is the focus. The malt balances out the bitterness well. A round creamy taste is noticeable up front. The dry and nutty character gets more noticeable when warm.

D - A fine pale ale, but a bit more bitter than I would prefer. There is plenty of flavor from malt and hops and this is above average as far as drinkability goes. It is potent for the style.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a pretty cool looking can into a pint glass.

A - Pours a semi-transparent orangish red, with a rocky two finger cream colored head.

S - Smell is very hoppy for a pale ale. Slightly grassy.

T - Solidly hoppy, hints of caramel and lemon grass. A great tasting pale, probably one of my favorites now; though still ont too much going on here. Gets hoppier as it warms, nice.

M - Slightly grainy, like its been dry hopped and there is still some hop particles in it. I like that about it though.

D - I bought a six pack of this the night before I head to Mississippi to see relatives. I am looking forward to drinking several of these lounging in the Bogue Chitto River. Very drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a brownish red that is neither clear nor murky. Very nice white creamy head that leaves lovely sheets of frosty lace.

Smell is pineapple and pine tree, with some sweet bready notes.

Taste is sweet pineapple and biscuity malt exceptionally well balanced. Good hop presence without reaching into IPA territory.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Very drinkable for its abv. Overall, a fantastic pale ale! Once again Oskar Blue's shows off their sweet cans!

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

pours a copper orange color with a nice off white head that leaves a lot of clumpy lace. hoppy, pineapple aroma. much hoppier than your average pale ale. taste is a little bitter, very hoppy and i can't tell if it's minerally or metallic. nevertheless, i love it and am very impressed. goes down creamy and a little bitter like a pale ale should. this is my bbq/session fav.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz can in colorful red and blue. Popping the tab unleashes a sticky froth no matter the amount of rest you give it before opening. Happened to all six in the pack. Looks great in the glass and is a very inviting orange-amber. Smell is also very inviting as it is a masterful use of dry-hopping. Taste is everything I want and look for in an APA; sweet, fruity and sticky caramel malts balanced by tons of aromatic domestic hops. Mouthfeel is wonderful because of the fine-bubble subtle carbonation due to this beer being can(?)-conditioned. If I could get this beer in my area I would drink it all the time and stock my fridge with it.

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

Creamy off-white two--finger head tops a clear amber body. Nice looking beer.

Smell is cracker malt under a full but not overbearing load of floral pine and citrus hops. This is definitely a solid APA.

Taste follows the smell exactly, though the pine-bittering hops tend to dominate the malt that's there.

Mouthfeel is where this brew excels: nice and thick without losing its crisp edge.

Drinkability is a bit diminished for me due to the pine-bitter bite, but it's still quite enjoyable. Not the best of the Oskar Blues bunch, but solid and worth a try.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at Fat Head's in Pittsburgh. The tap handle featured a can of this beer which was cool.

The beer was semi-hazy and an auburn shade of yellow. The aroma was nicely hopped, kind of reminded me of Alpha King (no side-by-side comparison though, and I was slightly buzzed at the time). The taste was well-balanced, but more hoppy than malty. Extremely easy to pound, chug-a-luggable. Very good gateway beer I think, but able to keep your interest deep into the "hobby" (addiction). Nice beer.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured from the can into a Spirit Haus pint glass, the result is a clear coppery-amber body with a 1.5-finger antique white head on top. Lots of bubbles rise up to refortify the head, which remains present the entire way down the glass at about 1/4-inch. Lots of clumps of foamy lacing stick to the glass all the way down. Nice presentation.

S: Pop the can and it's a big nose of oily grapefruity hops right away. After the pour the impression remains: juicy citrus fruit in general, but with a hint of malt sweetness underneath. It smells bigger than an APA -- almost like a DIPA at first, but as it warms, the nose softens a bit.

T: Like you'd expect from the nose: oily sweetness at first blush, which is followed in the middle of the taste by the juicy citrus flavors -- grapefruit and sweet oranges predominantly. It finishes with a hint of pine sap, and the aftertaste lingers with a dry, minerally at times lemony bitter coating. It leaves a real substantial coating on the mouth with what seems like a minerally or slightly metallic dry but bitter taste. A glass of water would help to "reboot" the taste buds after that assault.

M: Given the oily and juicy tastes and smells, it finishes surprsingly dry. Also has a decent fizzy feel to it from the carbonation. I thought it was light-to-medium in body.

D: Good. This went down fast, and that lingering bitter aftertaste really encouraged the next sip.

Notes: I think this is pretty darned close to IPA territory, and like I said, the nose at first blush even seems strong enough to remind me of a DIPA. Great beer in a can. Check it out.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Bought a six pack of cans. I've seen this beer for a long time and shrugged it off because it was in a can, but I've waited far too long to try this wonder.

Cracking open the can, you get the instant aroma of hops. Into a pint glass. pours a beautiful orange with a decent amount of carbonation rising, and leaves about an inch and a half of thick, creamy head. The pour allows the hops to breathe and at the same time gives off a wonderful piney aroma mixed with citrus.

First taste is a creamy pine flavor from the hops, mixed with a grapefruit/mixed citrus bag. It sticks to the roof of your mouth, almost chewy, pleasantly surprising coming from a can. Grab a sixer and head to the game and do some tailgating.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew