Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,914 | Ratings: 7,175
3.74/5  rDev -4.8%

A) Head is 1/3" and bubbly. Very little head retention. The beer is orange with a hint of copper. This may be the orangest pale ale I've seen yet. Pretty clear.

S) Big, piney hops. Resinous. Syrupy sweet malt.

T) Not as sweet as you expect. It smells like a DIPA on the barleywine end of the spectrum but it is lighter than that. A little earthy. Big hop flavor and a nice balance really. This is a bigger APA.Citrusy, mild grape fruit. Solid smack of bitter in the end that sticks around. Definitely fruity.

M) A little sticky. Solid-medium mouthfeel.

D) I enjoy it but it isn't something I would drink one after another. It's just a bigger apa with some sweetness to it.

Using A)S)T)M)D) helps me think about a beer but I'm getting to the point where I might stop using it and I might comment less on the drinkability.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

pours a clear darker orange, with a small white head. Some lacing but not much. Although I didn't get the impression of carbonation (not a big pop when opening can) the first few mouthfuls seem very carbonated. Smells ok, kinda malty with a few hops thrown in. Taste is cut and dry. Hops up front and a very quick, very dry finish. I didn't like this beer as much after warming, but its hands down better than any canned beer you can get in Chicago.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Pours with a beautiful frothy three finger head the color of the inside of an orange rind. Body is golden orange. Looks just like what the "average" beer should look like. Lots of really thick lacing.

S: Very floral and natural smelling - lavender, grass, pine. Smells very clean. Citrus zest, primarily grapefruit which is actually most often not the strongest citrus scent I pick up.

T: Same hop profile as the nose, but the malts are more present Very bready, graham cracker and biscuit. Hops are more aggressive and sharp. Very well balanced, though all the flavors are somewhat muted. Pine makes its way in towards the end, and there's a great citrus rind bitter finish.

M: Very crisp and refreshing.

O: I think this is a fantastic representation of the style. Very refreshing and easy to enjoy, and extremely well balanced. None of the flavors in particular stand out or are extremely special in their own way, but that's what is making this become more and more of a staple in my fridge.

3.38/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce can purchased last night from a local deli and poured into a Spiegelau stemmed Pilsner glass. I first tried this beer about a year ago on tap at a local bar and recalled it being a bit too hoppy for me. But that was not my experience last night. Hoppy, but not overly so, with a nice mouth feel to it. An enjoyable beer and one I'd drink again, although I'd opt for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if both were available.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked up a 6 pack at Whole Foods. Poured into a standard pint glass with a very clear golden color and a small head that dissipated quickly. Smells of sweet malt, maybe some pine, citrus and grassy hops. Flavors of caramel and light sweetness with a malt bitterness up front and some citrus flavors. Sort of one dimensional but nice. Decent light to medium body and easy to drink. Enjoyable, I would probably favor SNPA over this but I'm glad to try it for sure and would definitely get it again.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

this is one of my favorite pale ales for some time. The aroma hops in this are awesome. The taste is very balanced between pale/caramel malts and hops. The appearance is a very clear amber with a small head that quickly disappears with some lacing,
the mouthfeel is a little metallic and a slight hint of alcohol burn, a little to much carbonation.

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crystal clear light amber color with a two finger head that lingers. Has that traditional APA blast of crispy citrus hops. Spicy bitter flavor with a medium sour finish which lingers a little longer than I’d like. I can sense a mild maltiness in the beginning. Not as refreshing as others I’d had of this style.The sour taste does fade after awhile to make it more enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a can into a Dale's Pale ale pint glass picked up from the brewery. Amber/orange color with 2FB of white head that dissipates with some lacing. Floral scent. Malty with piney hop flavors with residual bitterness. This has been my go to pale ale for the last year and have tried others available in my area but still coming back.

Appearance: Poured clear light amber, persistent frothy white head, and an amazing trail of lacing.

Aroma: Pale malts, floral and bitter hop aroma, no esthers. No diacetyl.

F: Closely follows the aroma and no surprises, the hops are forefront in taste, but are balanced very well with the pale malts. Finish is pleasant and rightfully bitter on the palate.

M: Light-Medium body and mouthfeel, dry and clean finish.

O: According to style (American Pale Ale), this is perfect. I cannot think of anything to improve. Even the can is American, with it's red white and blues. I really enjoyed this beer. It's refreshing, appropriately pale/bitter, right amount of hops, head retention, malt profile.

Congrats to Oskar Blues for earning my first perfect beer to style award!!

P.S.: I dont think I had the budget for an award but you get the idea.

2.07/5  rDev -47.3%

A - This was by far the most impressive part of the brew. Poured a medium brown like an apple cider. Excellent frothy fluffy head with spider lacing down the glass.

S - Nice floral hops caramel malts but what really threw me was the rubber tire taste that trailed in at the end.

T - Floral hops that finished heavily bitter, almost too bitter. As in the smell the rubber tires came in at the end, pretty bad and unfortunately turns the whole taste of the aspect to a downward spiral.

M - Little carbonation with a slick mouthfeel.

D - Steer clear of this dangerous brew. Hops are too overpowering that lead to a super bitter aftertaste and something else if off from this brew. Avoid please.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a light amber body with a big white head that leaves moderate lacing. Smells sweet and nutty but with a big resin and grapefruit hop presence, borders on an IPA smell. Taste is much like the nose. Oily and drying mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Lingering malts with a piney taste in the aftertaste too. Easy to drink, and pretty tasty too, but it loses points for being a bit too drying in my opinion. Regardless, I'm pretty satisfied and wouldn't hesitate to buy this again if I saw it and wanted a pale ale.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

This is one of the only brews I've seen and had I tap that's is mainly distributed by can.

pours hazey clear orange with slight lacing throughout the glass.

the smell is a complex mix of hops.

However the tatse is amazing. For a pale ale the taste is really un matched and certainly this stands as king of caned pale ales. Rush of hops with a clean finish leaving purley hop tatse on the pallet.

I highly recommend this ale for any occasion.

A solid, balanced pale ale. Hops are definitely present but the malt finish competes. One of my "go-to" pale ales, up there with Sierra Nevada and the old Stone Pale.

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Serving Type: Can into Goose Island Glass.

Apperance: light brown/amber with a thick white head and the lacing is consistently maintained when tilting the glass.

The aroma is citrusy, and hoppy with a sweet malted blend.

The taste was surprising for me because it's not as sweet as it smells. The hoppiness deffinetly stands out on this one! It's more present when drinking it from the can than when poured on a glass. It's bitter on the forefront, but has a nice sweet after taste as a result from the malt and the spices added.

The mouthfeel is thin, which was not expected at first, due to the thick head, but once the head relaxes, there is little carbonation.

Overall this is a great summer beer. It's refreshing and it goes down smooth. I wouldn't really consider this a Pale Ale by no means. It's darker in nature and it tastes and behaves like an IPA style beer. It's a great summer beer; I am definitely going to buy this one again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a can into one of the Sam Adam's glasses I was sent in the mail. Had a nice head which quickly disappeared. Color is exactly what one would expect in a pale ale.

Smell is hoppy and clean, very inviting during the summer in VA.

Taste is quite good. Hoppy, but not overpowering. Definitely a bit of tongue coating with the hops, so if you'll be trying other beers, I'd try them first.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. The coating on the tongue grows as the beer is finished.

As far as drinkability, I could drink a few of these in a row no problem on a hot day. It seems to just slip down the throat.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Best beer I've had from a can. Poured into a pint glass you will notice a bright copper color and nice thick creamy head. Aroma is full of citrus hops backed by sweet caramel malt.

The flavor is outstanding, the balance of hops and malt is right on for my taste. Sweet caramel, grapefruit, pine, with a nice clean finish. Very drinkable. Don't let the can fool you, this is good stuff.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Really surprised me for a can pour. Clear copper color with nice off white head. Left a nice lacing on the side of the glass. More carbonated than I would have expected.

S- A tinge of citrus hops and a well balanced malty scent.

T- Impressed. I didn't think that this beer would be as impressive as it was. A nicely balanced canned beer. Initial burst of citrus like hops followed by a nice mellowing maltiness. Not really bitter at all.

M- Great mouthfeel. A bit thicker than I expected, leaves a nice crisp aftertaste.

D- Very easy to drink. I could drink these all the time. Perfect for a tail gate type atmosphere.

Thanks aubuc1!

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%

Drank it straight outta the can - I should be banned from reviewing beers forever!

A: N/A

S: I was surprised by the overwhelming smell of citrus/pine hops, especially from a pale ale and even more especially from a pale ale out of a can.

T: Very good. Nice integration of hops and malts, as I would expect from a well-crafted APA

M: A bit thin on the palate, but not bad

D: Highly sessionable, which is what I would expect from a good APA.

I've been really impressed with the line-up from Oskar Blues - too bad it is such a pain in the ass for me to obtain these cans in NYC!

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale

A: nut brown crossed with amber with a long lasting foamy white head on top. Quite an aesthetically pleasing brew.

S: wow, so floral and piney, it smells like a sweet wildflower hop bouquet in the pine forest.

T: sweet candy malt, well balanced by lots of juicy hops. I’d say a tangerine-pine hop profile.

M: sticks around on the palate. To be expected of such a sugary beer.

O: a really good everyday pale, hopped enough that it might be called an IPA. Malt forward, easy to drink. 4.6/5.

3.89/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tulip glass

a - red caramel with white head

s - woody and earthy

t - starts sweet, then turns hoppy, finish has caramel and chocolate notes

m - moderately full

o - Not what I expected, in fact much better than I expected. Hoppy and complexity mix to create a wonderful flavor profile and the texture compliments the taste very well.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from its classy aluminum can into my finest chalice.

A: Foamy thick head that stuck around for quite a while. Amber orange with lots of bubbles. Nice lacing around the glass.

S: Grapefruit, floral hops. Smells as hoppy as a double IPA!

T: Taste is consistent with the smell -- earthy, citrus hop bitterness with a subtle sweetness. There is something buried in the aftertaste that I would attribute to the can, but this could be in my head.

MF: Very smooth. Maybe a little drying from the hops bitterness, but not overwhelming.

D: Extremely drinkable. I really wish I didn’t know it came from a can, as I feel I was looking for an aluminum can taste. I honestly believe you would have no idea it came from a can if you didn’t pour it yourself. Skeptics put on your wifebeater, crank up the skynyrd and enjoy!

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

Easy to find here in Colorado. Even easier to smuggle into Red Rocks. Gotta love it.

Appearance: Amber.

Smell: Strong smell of citrusy American hops and some sweet malt.

Taste: Delicious citrusy hops more than holding their own against the caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Sticky!

Drinkability: This beer has quite a personality, very drinkable. A top tier American pale ale.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%

Quite nice and very drinkable. It's a remarkably full flavored brew with a strong kick. Goes down easier than most 6.5 beers. Voluminously hopped mutha as the can states. It's a bit over priced but a solid staple for a strong flavored beer fan. I particularly appreciate the smooth drinkability that includes a hoppy bite and an appropriately malty finish. I also must mention the cans don't take away from the flavor and add to the experience.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Drank it right from the can so I'm not too sure.

S- Nice burst of citrus as soon as I cracked it!

T- Great hop flavor here. Not very malty back bone but that's okay, I wasn't expecting as much from a APA.

M- Crisp in the mouth with a bit of tingle. Light to medium bodied and very easy to drink.

O- Great session beer. Not a whole lot going on here and thats perfectly acceptable. Well done Oskar Blues.

Serving type- 12oz can. Thanks for reading.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Deep, rich amber color. A respectable head that leaves lots of lacing.

S - Sweet honey and floral notes. Delicious.

T - A hoppy, but well-balanced, candied floral taste that just explodes in your mouth.

M - What can I say? Full and smooth without being overly carbonated or any other such negative characteristics. Pretty much perfect.

O - Maybe I just got an incredibly fresh batch of this, but my god. This is one of the ten best beers I've ever tasted. I drank this after a large bottle of Hennepin (another personal favorite) and this beer blew it out of the water... Let me just put it this way: I stopped posting on BA about 2.5 years ago because I just kinda got bored of it. This beer inspired me to come back and post a review. Between this and the also-exceptional Fat Tire Shift Pale Lager, I am quickly becoming a canned beer convert. If you see it, try it.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew