Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,901 | Ratings: 7,114
3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can poured into darkness snifter.

A- Golden ale with small off white head.

S- Not a huge nose on this one but it's hop forward with hint of citrus.

T- Follows nose as hops are the star here with a slight malt finish. Hides the 6.5 abv pretty well I am surprised this ale isn't coming off as hot as others with similar abv.

M- Medium light body slightly watery. Dry finish.

O- This was the first offering from Oskar Blues I have tried and I think it's a nice pale ale. This style kind of seems a bit old for me as my first craft brew I really appreciated was Summit EPA and this is very comparable to EPA and it kind of brings me back to MN drinking Summit. Whenever I crave Summit I will go straight to Dale. Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Big fan of the Pale Ale style; in the case of Dale's it seems more biased towards the English Pale Ale Style (i.e. more malt than hops).

Pours a great head (that's what she said) with approximately one inch of foam. Has a subtle sweetness that permeates the English / malt style ale. Very satisfying although not very sessionable or crushable, which is usually not a characteristic of a Pale Ale.

Solid brew that is worth keeping in the fridge... though perhaps not as hype-worthy as those from CO think.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Best beer in a can anywhere!

Why don't more brewers use cans? They are selling the hell out of this beer.

Pours a nice golden orange, a little cloudy, usually, but ok.

Wonderful hop aroma with some bready and caramel notes in the back.

A great APA-EPA beer. I think it is a more integrated grain bill like an English but using American hops.

Buy it whenver you can, give it away, don't let them go out of business.

A Backpackers Beer!

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

First beer I've had from a can since college, and the first REAL beer I've had from a can. Poured with a very nice head that stuck around for a while to provide lots of lacing. Color was nice, kind of the shade of a new penny and slightly translucent. Smelled of moderately floral hops and some decent malt aromas. Taste is darned good. I would call this more of an IPA than just a pale ale, it certainly fits more in that style. Good hop flavor with some strong, rich malt undertones. Goes down very smooth with some lingering bitterness. Drinkability is decent for this style, but I wouldn't want to have more than one or two in a sitting.

Overall a very good pale ale. Lots of hops and decent balance. I wouldn't say it's as good as 60 Minute or Titan, but it's darn near close.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a Burnt Orange with a quickly disappearing cream white head.

Aroma is full zesty citrus and a touch of woody charecter, there is a backing of honeybutter and bread.

Flavor leans heavy on the hops up front with a punch of lime zest and tangerine then rolls into crisp and dry finish.

The mouthfeel is right on for the style to me. I love the medium body with a touch of creamy silky feel then finishes dry.

Good stuff, its a bit big for a pale ale. But I would say above average and well worth trying then buying again.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Oskar Blues Dales Pale is a great tasting beer for sure. This one has been reviewed almost 2000 times , so there is nothing new I can add to the mix. This is one of my all time favorite "go to " crushable beers. In fact , I would say, that this is one of the classic craft beers and could find its way on to the Mount Rushmore of craft beer. Great taste. Great smell. Wont disappoint !

So I stop at Canals in NJ and they have a $1/can sale for a pale ale in a can. So I bite - and was I impressed.

A: Can #1 I took to the head, so it wasn't until #2 where I had a glass available. No typical can wh-pish was to be found, so I thought I was in for a flat beer, but poured a nice pale ale deep amber color. Nice.

S: Hoppy, closer to an IPA than a PA, Slight caramel tones - pleasantly suprised.

M: Drank this slowly, as I didn't want to move back to college days and pound the can back. Let the taste stay on my toungue. Nice balance.

T: Flavor that stays with you - nice bitterness, with a slight sweetness.

Let me state this - you will not find a better beer in a can. This will be very close to me as soon as golf season starts back up! Very convenient package. (also can easily be mistaken for a Pepsi can - to keep the golf marshalls at bay!)

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Appearance - Clear copper body with an off-white head carbonation quite visible.

Smell - Sweet malts up front with hops in the back not too complex.

Taste - All the sweet malts hit at once with the hops balancing it all out at the end to give it that not too malty but not hoppy flavor which is great as I'm all hopped out atm.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, crisp and refreshing almost no dryness here which is nice with how warm it is today.

Overall - I love the sweet malts and the way they balance with the hops to make such a nice ale I give a thumbs up too this one. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

From the can into my DFH snifter.

Nose is hoppy and well balanced with malt. Tastes like several types of sugar. The common beet sugar, turbinado, brown, rock. Nicely bittered. Pleasant. Nice easy feel. Soft carbonation. One of the best beers in an aluminum can. Great selection if no glass is allowed. (E.g. parks, NASCAR, poolside).

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours as a nice amber/gold color with a rapidly dissipating one finger head. Smell is grassy hops with a whiff of golden malt. Taste is delicious: the hops and malt work in unison, neither overwhelms or dominates the other and they strike the palate equally throughout. The mouthfeel is creamy and full without being syrupy or overly thick; restrained carbonation. A very drinkable beer, definitely something to keep in stock.

A note on the hype: this beer is not designed to stand up to your bomber of one-off over the top rare brew. This is an excellent session ale because it has great taste, it's easy to drink, it comes in a convenient package, and it's not too expensive. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't expect it to be Dark Lord in a can.

A note on consistency: with all the talk of the can's ability to shield beer from light and air, this beer still has some consistency issues, as noted in the Bros. review. I have had cans of this beer with off-flavors, so I assume that originates at the brewery. For this beer to assume its rightful mantle as the great American craft session beer, these consistency issues need to be ironed out.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Amber-colored and smelling of citrus and pine. Despite other accounts of massive heads, my glass poured with very little carbonation, and a wispy thin head. It did leave nice foam lacing down the sides of the glass as I drank. Somewhat thin on the mouth, Dale's Pale tastes like citrus hops, only a hint of malt. It's crisp and clean, quite hoppy. A great example of the style, and very refreshing.

App- Pours copper with a sticky 1 inch head. Moderate lacing.

Smell- Spicy hops overwhelm the smell. Just a bit of caramel smell in there as well.

Taste- Balanced between spicy and grassy hop flavor, with a maltiness lurking behind. The hops do more to the flavor than imparting bitterness, but there is some bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, but leaves that bit of bitterness in the aftertaste which makes it not one for downing quickly. Carbonation and body both in style.

Overall, an excellent pale ale which gives a good accounting of itself, and is balanced without becoming too hop forward.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

A- Pours a nice hazy gold into my pint glass. It has a decent one finger width frothy white head. A lot of carbonation frow the looks of it.

S- Nice amount of hop aroma on this one. I'm getting a decent amount of the traditional grapefruit, pine and bitterness in the aroma.

T- Very pleasing hop bitterness with a nice crisp finish. This is a pretty fantastic canned beer I must say! Way to go Oskar Blues !

M- Lighter body with a refreshing crisp finish. A nice session brew.

O- This beer does everything it supposed to do. It holds true to its style and its in a can! I want to go camping with Dales vey soon.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

To stay with the spirit of beer in a can, I did not pour this beer into a glass. Thus, the appearance is metallic and colorful with blues and reds offset by silver highlights. It has been quite awhile since I have drank beer out of a can. The last one I had was undoubtedly a beer from the great brew city of Milwaukee. This, needless to say, buries those brews.

Aroma from the mouthhole is moderately hopped and cold when the aluminum touches your nose(Although I don't really trust my sense of smell that much right now as I got Acid Brite #2 up my nose while cleaning yeast off the brewery floor. Such is life). Mouthfeel is just about perfect for a pale. Taste is well balanced with malt up front and a clean hop finish.

The drinkability is fantastic. Maybe it's just the giddy feeling I get by drinking a good beer out of a can, but this brew is a refreshing change while watching the Bucks dominate the offensive glass. Cheers!

2.12/5  rDev -46.1%

pours a clean amber from a 12oz can to a pint glass. smells hoppy with notes of vanilla and pale malt.very laced with light carbonation. taste is malt with hints of vanilla in the mix with a hoppy bite. a creamy vanilla hopped up weirdness. Seems lightly carbonated. this is a weird tasting brew. It has some weird vanilla taste to it that makes me not want to taste it anymore. I can't see drinking more than one of these. BLEEEGH I don't like it. Sorry.

A- Deep orange, thick frothy head that lingers until your done drinking. Looks absolutely delicious. The only reason I wouldn't give it more points is that it looks like an IPA

S-Pine and citrus hops dominate, they swirl and bite the back of your nose. There is some honey sweet notes that are very faint but smell like what little there is could be thick and sappy. There is a little bit of grain.

T- No surprise- big hops, thick and piney, they feel resinous as they roll over the tongue. There is some grain maltiness here but it merely carries the hops so that this beer feels long and complex even if its just hops all the way through, with the exception of a sweet spike just before the beer ends dry and a little tinny.

M- Nice and thick. Aggressive carbonation that doesnt try to take center stage.

O- Is this a pale or and IPA? Either way its delicious.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

A perfect 'middle of the road' beer. It's become a go-to for me.
Tons of flavor, but easygoing and enjoyable. Easily found almost anywhere, but nothing to be ignored. Quite hoppy for an APA, but leaps and bounds above many of the mediocre IPAs out there. A great beer and a great value.

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark gold with a voluminous head.

S - A hoppy herbal aroma with a hint of citrus.

T - Extremely high on hop bitterness for an APA. It's interesting in that I pick up very little of the citrus or pine notes found in other APAs/IPAs. Instead the hops show up by way of a very clean bitterness. In fact this is probably the most crisp and straightforward pale ale I've ever had. Interesting to say the least.

M - Fairly light on the carbonation with a medium body.

D - It's so clean finishing that you could have a lot of these. The bitterness fades away quickly.

I like this beer but it's just so different from other examples in the style I don't know what to think. Definitely one to try if you like bitter beers that aren't saturated with citrus.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: 12oz can with no canning date, pours an amber color. Minimal bubbles and little head that goes away quickly. Did not leave any lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mostly hops, with hints of citrus and yeast. A slightly astringent smell was also picked up.

Taste: Slight bitter notes, but the taste of hops is the most prominent. After taste is mostly hops, with slight hints of citrus. This is a great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Feels slightly carbonated and thicker than water on the tongue. Leaves the mouth feeling dry.

Drinkability: This is a great beer. It is extremely drinkable, and could become my new every day beer.

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a copper amber with a slightly off-white head that lasted until the last sip. Little lacing remains on my glass.

S: Piney hops and caramel malt.

T: The taste is a direct reflection of the aroma. Bitter hops balanced by sweet, earthy malt. Sublimely simple and straight to the point.

M: Medium-lihgt with just enough carbonation to give the illusion of a palate-cleansing effect.

D: I could drink this all day...liver willing.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

This is by far not the first time I have sat down to Dale's. To be perfectly honest I drink this one from a can most of the time...Today however I have poured this one into one of my pint glasses. I do from time to time get Dale into a glass but the fact is I enjoy this one near the grill straight from the can. When poured Dale takes a soapy topped head of a near white resting atop of what reminds me of my Grandmother's sun tea. The smell of hops piny, grassy and full of citric delight is much more present when not from the can. The hop bitterness and aromas are aplenty so feel free and drink from the can if you are so inclined by convenience. Caramel and grapefruit combine with ease. Sweet grain reminds you that this is no light pale ale ...this is Dale . The finish is bitter hops with light caramel and grain. The medium body compliments the medium carbonation. This pale ale has America written all over it.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Bought at Whole Foods-Pasadena(Arroyo Parkway)

Poured a dark golden color into a pint glass. Nice, hoppy smell with a bubbly head. A hoppy taste but not overwhelming. Good back end and very drinkable. I was expecting a mellow taste since it was a pale ale but this beer has a nice bite to it. I had this on tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica and it was good! A good summer beer which I could drink a few more of if it wasn't so late here. Another good beer from Oskar Blues.

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look:
This pours darker amber than most color with an off-white head.

Smell:
The aroma is a little hoppy with a touch of bread.

Taste:
The taste has hint of piney hops, citrus, and just enough bitterness.

Feel:
I found this to have a very smooth mouthfeel.

I normally do not gravitate to canned beer, but the few Oskar Blues selections I have had have been very good. I think that this one is great.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

This is the first offering I've tried from the Lyons, Colorado brewery best known for jumpstarting the mirco-in-a-can craze (at least in my mind).

Dale's pours with a crazy-huge head that dissipates to an eighth-of-an-inch but never goes away. At first sip, I noticed a delicious sweet malt taste with the hops coming in late. The nice balance reminded me of an ESB. As it breathed a little bit, it got hoppier (and I got happier).

Talkin' Bob says that Dale's Pale Ale is being aimed at lovers of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. This is dangerously drinkable, and at 6.5% would ensure that nothing would get done this summer if I made this a session favorite.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a can into pint glass. Decent one finger head which dissipates after the first taste. Thin lacing that does the same.

There is not an overwhelming aroma with this one. If you try hard there is a faint aroma of bitter hops involved... but as I would expect some citrus notes I didn't get that with this one.

I do like the taste of this beer... and it is a "go-to" six pack for me. I will also say though, that it is a very basic pale ale.... but to me it has the hop bite of an IPA. There is nothing very "complex" about it, just a bitter hops taste and perfect mouthfeel. To me the taste is somewhat simple but good, with a fine bitter hop bite that stays on your tongue as you drink.

As mentioned, the mouthfeel for pale ale is perfect.... Perfect amount of carbonation and easy to pour.

Drinkability is good too. The best thing about this beer is the can it comes in. If you are going somewhere you can't take a bottle, I always go looking for a sixer of Dale's.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew