Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,916 | Ratings: 7,196
4.12/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- Drank it right from the can so I'm not too sure.

S- Nice burst of citrus as soon as I cracked it!

T- Great hop flavor here. Not very malty back bone but that's okay, I wasn't expecting as much from a APA.

M- Crisp in the mouth with a bit of tingle. Light to medium bodied and very easy to drink.

O- Great session beer. Not a whole lot going on here and thats perfectly acceptable. Well done Oskar Blues.

Serving type- 12oz can. Thanks for reading.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Deep, rich amber color. A respectable head that leaves lots of lacing.

S - Sweet honey and floral notes. Delicious.

T - A hoppy, but well-balanced, candied floral taste that just explodes in your mouth.

M - What can I say? Full and smooth without being overly carbonated or any other such negative characteristics. Pretty much perfect.

O - Maybe I just got an incredibly fresh batch of this, but my god. This is one of the ten best beers I've ever tasted. I drank this after a large bottle of Hennepin (another personal favorite) and this beer blew it out of the water... Let me just put it this way: I stopped posting on BA about 2.5 years ago because I just kinda got bored of it. This beer inspired me to come back and post a review. Between this and the also-exceptional Fat Tire Shift Pale Lager, I am quickly becoming a canned beer convert. If you see it, try it.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Dark
Amber with good head and lacing. Aromas if the cirrus and pine hops hut the nose and backed by malty whiffs.

Taste hit with caramel, and malt followed up by a biting hops and astringent finish. Love this pale ale. Defining bold for the style!

Mouthfeel is light to medium body and the finish goes with the bitterness building.

Overall, Dales is my go to pale ale and I pick some up anytime in Hudson.

CAN > pint glass.

A- Copper, 1.5 fing head, lingers down to a .5er. Leaves lovely holes in the lacing.

S - Fruity, Grapes, tinge of alcohol, touch of citrus zest. I think for a pale, I want to give it a 3.75, but I can't.

T- The hops prevail in this pale, there's no doubt. For a pale, The hop profile is bigger than usual, which is why I love this pale. Most pale ales will be more balanced, and you will be able to detect the malt presence. In Dale's you find the malt finishing, rounding out the common denominator.

M - Mouthful of delicious carbonated brew then mellows fairly quickly. Tight carbonation, with a sharp finish.

O - Very drinkable. I like the crispness and hop that this pale brings.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

A- Very clear golden orange with a foamy slight off white head. Lots of carbonation streaming from bottom of the glass.

S- For a pale ale this is very hoppy. Lots of citrus and the cat pee quality, also sweet caramel coming from the malt.

T- This is one of the best pale ales i've ever had. Almost closer to an IPA in taste but lighter. The malt does play a nice role with a smooth sweetness balancing out the hop characters. Hops are up front with mostly citrus flavor with a light bitterness on the back.

M- Light feel on the mouth but not watery, it has substance. Right on for this beer.

O- Awesome beer, loved drinking everyone of them. One of the better beers I've had lately. Super refreshing and almost crossing the line into IPA territory. Keeps me wanting more.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Nice hoppy pale. Well balanced with malt sweetness. A little thin on the mouth feel. Some light bitterness that lingers. Easy drinking. Quality pale ale.

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

I finally got around to trying Dale's Pale Ale. I think it was kismet, since there was only one six-pack left at the store. Poured a golden color with a fat two finger head. Hop aromas all over the place. Absolutely amazing. In my opinion, certainly closer to an IPA. The numbers would support as well at 60+ IBU's and 6.5% ABV. Wickedly drinkable. May be a bit high in alcohol for a session brew, but it won't stop me from trying. This may very well be my favorite IPA. I love the fact that one of the reasons these guys are canning is because it made them laugh. I was the one laughing at a party I went to when people thought I was drinking "generic beer". I just love the notion of a kick ass IPA in a can. Oskar Blues rocks!!!

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Smooth pour, richer color tone than expected, reddish gold. Lasting white fluffy head with lacing. Moderately hoppy and citrusy scent. Nice hoppy taste, well balanced and extremely crispy, with light to medium body and good bitterness lingering. I like this beer a lot especially for the price and the classic can look.

4.69/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look:
This pours darker amber than most color with an off-white head.

Smell:
The aroma is a little hoppy with a touch of bread.

Taste:
The taste has hint of piney hops, citrus, and just enough bitterness.

Feel:
I found this to have a very smooth mouthfeel.

I normally do not gravitate to canned beer, but the few Oskar Blues selections I have had have been very good. I think that this one is great.

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this many times before, but just now getting around to reviewing it. Poured from a can into a pint glass
A- looks pretty standard for a pale ale. Dark amber color with a white-ish head that fades fast and leaves a little lacing.

S- Nice and hoppy for a pale ale with some pine and citrus. Also a little bit of crystal malts and some buttery diacetyl.

T- Pretty nice for a pale ale. Hoppier and close to an IPS than usual. Really great taste.

M - About average for mouthfeel. Nothing extraordinary.

D - I could easily put back a few cans of this one. A good higher alcohol session beer.

4.4/5  rDev +12%

(reviewed from notes)

Pours amber with a reddish hue. The nose is very hop heavy, especially for just a pale ale (reminded me of an IPA). The taste has a forward hop bitterness that assaults the tongue in a very pleasing way through ample citrus hops.. There are some bready malts that follow, adding some complexity, but this is a very hop driven beer.

Great, sessionable beer that might be the best APA I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- 12 oz can poured into an American Pint. Beer is copper with a 1-finger head.

S- English style malts predominate, along with some sweetness and citric hop notes.

T- Sweet up front from the malts. They don't taste too complex, but pretty "clean". Surprisingly bitter hop finish. Not really what I'm used to from an APA. The hops taste European, more bitter than citrusy.

M- Medium body and very low carbonation.

D- For some reason I can't stop popping open the cans. A really, really good session brew. I had no problem killing the whole sixer in the middle of winter. I'd guess it'll be even easier come summer.

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%

A beer haiku for you:

"Maybe it's too hot;
This one just ain't that piquant.
Better look elsewhere."

Not the best representative of the style--ok, but nothing to write home about nor spend your hard earned dinero on. This is a good brewery, but this particular ale is not representative of the art of the brewer.

Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz. can poured into a Perfect Pint glass

I thought the can would pour an over-sized head, but it didn't. It poured out clean; not light, but not too heavy. A cloudy orange-amber color with small bubbles ascending slowly. The head was thin and dissipated quickly.

The aroma is beautiful. Classically hoppy with good citrus notes.

This beer has a perfect weight and feel in the mouth. What I'd call a "soft" bitternes coats the palate. A very smooth finish and a delicious hoppy taste. This beer has just the right amount of bitterness and gets better the more you drink it. It's just what you'd want from an American Pale Ale.

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

Dales Pale Ale served in a can, a novelty that will never get old.

Appearance: a beautiful shade of amber, the median between a light lager and a porter. Flawless lacing.

Smell: bitter, essence of pine, Hops

Taste: brings the bite that you would expect from an IPA, with tons of robust flavor

Feel: Smooth as can be, easy, just a slight pop from the highly noticeable carbonation

Overall: Get a case.

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can poured into darkness snifter.

A- Golden ale with small off white head.

S- Not a huge nose on this one but it's hop forward with hint of citrus.

T- Follows nose as hops are the star here with a slight malt finish. Hides the 6.5 abv pretty well I am surprised this ale isn't coming off as hot as others with similar abv.

M- Medium light body slightly watery. Dry finish.

O- This was the first offering from Oskar Blues I have tried and I think it's a nice pale ale. This style kind of seems a bit old for me as my first craft brew I really appreciated was Summit EPA and this is very comparable to EPA and it kind of brings me back to MN drinking Summit. Whenever I crave Summit I will go straight to Dale. Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Big fan of the Pale Ale style; in the case of Dale's it seems more biased towards the English Pale Ale Style (i.e. more malt than hops).

Pours a great head (that's what she said) with approximately one inch of foam. Has a subtle sweetness that permeates the English / malt style ale. Very satisfying although not very sessionable or crushable, which is usually not a characteristic of a Pale Ale.

Solid brew that is worth keeping in the fridge... though perhaps not as hype-worthy as those from CO think.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Best beer in a can anywhere!

Why don't more brewers use cans? They are selling the hell out of this beer.

Pours a nice golden orange, a little cloudy, usually, but ok.

Wonderful hop aroma with some bready and caramel notes in the back.

A great APA-EPA beer. I think it is a more integrated grain bill like an English but using American hops.

Buy it whenver you can, give it away, don't let them go out of business.

A Backpackers Beer!

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

First beer I've had from a can since college, and the first REAL beer I've had from a can. Poured with a very nice head that stuck around for a while to provide lots of lacing. Color was nice, kind of the shade of a new penny and slightly translucent. Smelled of moderately floral hops and some decent malt aromas. Taste is darned good. I would call this more of an IPA than just a pale ale, it certainly fits more in that style. Good hop flavor with some strong, rich malt undertones. Goes down very smooth with some lingering bitterness. Drinkability is decent for this style, but I wouldn't want to have more than one or two in a sitting.

Overall a very good pale ale. Lots of hops and decent balance. I wouldn't say it's as good as 60 Minute or Titan, but it's darn near close.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a Burnt Orange with a quickly disappearing cream white head.

Aroma is full zesty citrus and a touch of woody charecter, there is a backing of honeybutter and bread.

Flavor leans heavy on the hops up front with a punch of lime zest and tangerine then rolls into crisp and dry finish.

The mouthfeel is right on for the style to me. I love the medium body with a touch of creamy silky feel then finishes dry.

Good stuff, its a bit big for a pale ale. But I would say above average and well worth trying then buying again.

So I stop at Canals in NJ and they have a $1/can sale for a pale ale in a can. So I bite - and was I impressed.

A: Can #1 I took to the head, so it wasn't until #2 where I had a glass available. No typical can wh-pish was to be found, so I thought I was in for a flat beer, but poured a nice pale ale deep amber color. Nice.

S: Hoppy, closer to an IPA than a PA, Slight caramel tones - pleasantly suprised.

M: Drank this slowly, as I didn't want to move back to college days and pound the can back. Let the taste stay on my toungue. Nice balance.

T: Flavor that stays with you - nice bitterness, with a slight sweetness.

Let me state this - you will not find a better beer in a can. This will be very close to me as soon as golf season starts back up! Very convenient package. (also can easily be mistaken for a Pepsi can - to keep the golf marshalls at bay!)

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Appearance - Clear copper body with an off-white head carbonation quite visible.

Smell - Sweet malts up front with hops in the back not too complex.

Taste - All the sweet malts hit at once with the hops balancing it all out at the end to give it that not too malty but not hoppy flavor which is great as I'm all hopped out atm.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, crisp and refreshing almost no dryness here which is nice with how warm it is today.

Overall - I love the sweet malts and the way they balance with the hops to make such a nice ale I give a thumbs up too this one. That said go grab one and see for yourself.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

From the can into my DFH snifter.

Nose is hoppy and well balanced with malt. Tastes like several types of sugar. The common beet sugar, turbinado, brown, rock. Nicely bittered. Pleasant. Nice easy feel. Soft carbonation. One of the best beers in an aluminum can. Great selection if no glass is allowed. (E.g. parks, NASCAR, poolside).

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours as a nice amber/gold color with a rapidly dissipating one finger head. Smell is grassy hops with a whiff of golden malt. Taste is delicious: the hops and malt work in unison, neither overwhelms or dominates the other and they strike the palate equally throughout. The mouthfeel is creamy and full without being syrupy or overly thick; restrained carbonation. A very drinkable beer, definitely something to keep in stock.

A note on the hype: this beer is not designed to stand up to your bomber of one-off over the top rare brew. This is an excellent session ale because it has great taste, it's easy to drink, it comes in a convenient package, and it's not too expensive. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't expect it to be Dark Lord in a can.

A note on consistency: with all the talk of the can's ability to shield beer from light and air, this beer still has some consistency issues, as noted in the Bros. review. I have had cans of this beer with off-flavors, so I assume that originates at the brewery. For this beer to assume its rightful mantle as the great American craft session beer, these consistency issues need to be ironed out.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Amber-colored and smelling of citrus and pine. Despite other accounts of massive heads, my glass poured with very little carbonation, and a wispy thin head. It did leave nice foam lacing down the sides of the glass as I drank. Somewhat thin on the mouth, Dale's Pale tastes like citrus hops, only a hint of malt. It's crisp and clean, quite hoppy. A great example of the style, and very refreshing.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew