Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,911 | Ratings: 7,156

A- Deep orange, thick frothy head that lingers until your done drinking. Looks absolutely delicious. The only reason I wouldn't give it more points is that it looks like an IPA

S-Pine and citrus hops dominate, they swirl and bite the back of your nose. There is some honey sweet notes that are very faint but smell like what little there is could be thick and sappy. There is a little bit of grain.

T- No surprise- big hops, thick and piney, they feel resinous as they roll over the tongue. There is some grain maltiness here but it merely carries the hops so that this beer feels long and complex even if its just hops all the way through, with the exception of a sweet spike just before the beer ends dry and a little tinny.

M- Nice and thick. Aggressive carbonation that doesnt try to take center stage.

O- Is this a pale or and IPA? Either way its delicious.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

A perfect 'middle of the road' beer. It's become a go-to for me.
Tons of flavor, but easygoing and enjoyable. Easily found almost anywhere, but nothing to be ignored. Quite hoppy for an APA, but leaps and bounds above many of the mediocre IPAs out there. A great beer and a great value.

3.71/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark gold with a voluminous head.

S - A hoppy herbal aroma with a hint of citrus.

T - Extremely high on hop bitterness for an APA. It's interesting in that I pick up very little of the citrus or pine notes found in other APAs/IPAs. Instead the hops show up by way of a very clean bitterness. In fact this is probably the most crisp and straightforward pale ale I've ever had. Interesting to say the least.

M - Fairly light on the carbonation with a medium body.

D - It's so clean finishing that you could have a lot of these. The bitterness fades away quickly.

I like this beer but it's just so different from other examples in the style I don't know what to think. Definitely one to try if you like bitter beers that aren't saturated with citrus.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: 12oz can with no canning date, pours an amber color. Minimal bubbles and little head that goes away quickly. Did not leave any lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mostly hops, with hints of citrus and yeast. A slightly astringent smell was also picked up.

Taste: Slight bitter notes, but the taste of hops is the most prominent. After taste is mostly hops, with slight hints of citrus. This is a great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Feels slightly carbonated and thicker than water on the tongue. Leaves the mouth feeling dry.

Drinkability: This is a great beer. It is extremely drinkable, and could become my new every day beer.

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a copper amber with a slightly off-white head that lasted until the last sip. Little lacing remains on my glass.

S: Piney hops and caramel malt.

T: The taste is a direct reflection of the aroma. Bitter hops balanced by sweet, earthy malt. Sublimely simple and straight to the point.

M: Medium-lihgt with just enough carbonation to give the illusion of a palate-cleansing effect.

D: I could drink this all day...liver willing.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

This is by far not the first time I have sat down to Dale's. To be perfectly honest I drink this one from a can most of the time...Today however I have poured this one into one of my pint glasses. I do from time to time get Dale into a glass but the fact is I enjoy this one near the grill straight from the can. When poured Dale takes a soapy topped head of a near white resting atop of what reminds me of my Grandmother's sun tea. The smell of hops piny, grassy and full of citric delight is much more present when not from the can. The hop bitterness and aromas are aplenty so feel free and drink from the can if you are so inclined by convenience. Caramel and grapefruit combine with ease. Sweet grain reminds you that this is no light pale ale ...this is Dale . The finish is bitter hops with light caramel and grain. The medium body compliments the medium carbonation. This pale ale has America written all over it.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Bought at Whole Foods-Pasadena(Arroyo Parkway)

Poured a dark golden color into a pint glass. Nice, hoppy smell with a bubbly head. A hoppy taste but not overwhelming. Good back end and very drinkable. I was expecting a mellow taste since it was a pale ale but this beer has a nice bite to it. I had this on tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica and it was good! A good summer beer which I could drink a few more of if it wasn't so late here. Another good beer from Oskar Blues.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

This is the first offering I've tried from the Lyons, Colorado brewery best known for jumpstarting the mirco-in-a-can craze (at least in my mind).

Dale's pours with a crazy-huge head that dissipates to an eighth-of-an-inch but never goes away. At first sip, I noticed a delicious sweet malt taste with the hops coming in late. The nice balance reminded me of an ESB. As it breathed a little bit, it got hoppier (and I got happier).

Talkin' Bob says that Dale's Pale Ale is being aimed at lovers of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. This is dangerously drinkable, and at 6.5% would ensure that nothing would get done this summer if I made this a session favorite.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a can into pint glass. Decent one finger head which dissipates after the first taste. Thin lacing that does the same.

There is not an overwhelming aroma with this one. If you try hard there is a faint aroma of bitter hops involved... but as I would expect some citrus notes I didn't get that with this one.

I do like the taste of this beer... and it is a "go-to" six pack for me. I will also say though, that it is a very basic pale ale.... but to me it has the hop bite of an IPA. There is nothing very "complex" about it, just a bitter hops taste and perfect mouthfeel. To me the taste is somewhat simple but good, with a fine bitter hop bite that stays on your tongue as you drink.

As mentioned, the mouthfeel for pale ale is perfect.... Perfect amount of carbonation and easy to pour.

Drinkability is good too. The best thing about this beer is the can it comes in. If you are going somewhere you can't take a bottle, I always go looking for a sixer of Dale's.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Copper color, high carbonation, about a two finger head. The beer is clear.

S: The smell is more sweet than an IPA. There are notes of pineapple and a nutty caramel smell that comes under it. Very nice smell.

T: Grapefruit, roasted nuts, pineapple, some hints of caramel. Leaves a bitter after taste but not an unpleasant one.

M: Light bodied beer with a dry and bitter finish.

O: This is a great beer to have which has a very well balanced out taste characters. Very good to have with a couple of buddies or when you're looking to relax.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my English pint glass.

A- A cloudy yellow with a very light white head.

S- This beer smells amazing. It is sweet, citrus, and hoppy.

T- A lot like it smells very sweet, citrus, and a couple other hop notes.

M- Very creamy and a lot of carbonation

O- A damn good pale ale. It's very different for a pale ale but it's great.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured can into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Agressive pour gave a good 3-finger head of soapy foam that stuck around a while and left patchy lacing all around.

S: Definite citrus hops, mostly grapefruit, with some nice pale malt coming through.

T: First hit of big citrus hops, mostly grapefruit and orange; nice sweet malt comes through as well, and then another blast of floral hops.

M: Medium-bodied and ample carbonation.

D: I can't say "sessionable" considering the ABV, but this is a very drinkable APA. One that I'll want to have in my fridge at any given time, and a beer that I feel could convert some BMC drinkers to quality craft ale...in a can.

Pours a hazy orange color with a large white head. Aroma is hoppy with notes of grapefruit and some grass and a touch of caramel malt sweetness. Taste is big on hops with good caramel malt sweetness that offsets the hop bitterness nicely. Medium body and great drinkability.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

1/4 keg at a friends house.

A: a dark orange. Half-finger off-white head that laces nicely

S: Very piney, bready. Smells a bit sweet too.

T: Very piney and fresh. A little sweet

M: Chewy, a bit bready. Medium body in carbonation

Overall: Pretty good beer. I saw this comes in a can, which is a mild turnoff. But I heard that isn't the case from friends. We'll see if I decide to buy it in stores.

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

My first pale ale, and at first sip it is pale, but as I continue to sip it opens up more. I'm a huge fan of the look, smell, and feel. I have to go back and change my 3.5 for taste to a 4.25, wow those spice undertones were hidden. The carbonation is on point. Glad to have tried it.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12oz can, I must admit I have put off trying this brew- as the can looked too cheap to justify the price. But at some friends requests I gave it a try. It had a "canned on" stamp on the bottom, and even the actual time stamped, which I had never seen before.

APP: Poured well, with a nice thick head that stayed a while. A rich slightly cloudy amber color. A really nice lace that gathers and stays long on the glass. Good sign!

Smell: distinctive smell of hops, but with some citrus in there, perhaps orange? And even a hint of grapefruit? But those are afterthoughts to the malt and caramel that calm the hops.

Taste: Not as hoppy strong as the smell might indicate. Not like a bomber bottle of Hercules for example. Smoother. Lighter. But then again this is only a Pale Ale, not an IPA. Stays on the tongue a bit. I like that. Sort of like I'm drinking more than I am. More than 12 oz in the can- that sort of thing. There's caramel, but for me it helps to balance it all out.

Mouthfeel: A complete goodness- IF you enjoy it. As another wrote in these reviews, "you can almost chew on it". Again, that to me is why it seems that you get more from the can than just the 12 oz. It hangs there, in your mouth.

Drinkability: As for pure drinking I could enjoy it for an evening, but the price makes it exotic for a session beer. Up there with Stone Brewery or ABT 12, other acclaimed beers- but not the same beer- but still good!

Notes: It seems Dale's has kept this creation in a can to make it unique, and that it is. In fact it might be "the king of cans". But still, it might lie in that no man's land where it's an above average beer- but not quite good enough to justify the price. Two dollars cheaper a 6-pack I might make an evening of it.

4.4/5  rDev +12%

12 oz can no freshness date provided but consumed on May 26,2007

Pours a rich deep amber ale with a thick head that holds for quite a while. High notes of cascade hopps and a twindge of heavy malts. Pineapple and other fruity flavours come about through my quest of this fine ale. This is a dam fine beer cosumed by the glass or out of the can especially out on the golf course.This beer will fit quite well in my beer Koozie.Props to Oskar Blues for this beer .

4.4/5  rDev +12%

Love the can... I thought that I was a beer snob against cans, but I think it is just that I'm against what is usually in those cans. This one is a big golden/amber hoppy, pale ale... not just pale. The aroma is cascade dominated, but the balance in the beer leads you to believe when they say they have 4 hops in this one. A bit heavy on the caramel, which gives a bit of english flavor to this... overall with the presentation, and the philosophy behind why they put it in a can- to give campers/climbers/boaters/hikers an opportunity to carry this thing in, and not leave trash. An honorable mission, and a good beer.

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

Another chapter in the ongoing series of CANNED CRAFT BEER. 12oz. can ice cold into a standard shaker pint glass.

A ~ The color of filtered apple juice with a frothy, whipped butter colored 1 finger head.
Good retention with sticky lace that left beautiful rings all the way down the glass.

S ~ Fresh & clean. Floral hops dominate with some light citrus notes. Not too busy or complex.

T ~ Piney, woody hops & citrus oils with a sweet, earthy malt back.
Well balanced with a slightly tart, semi dry finish & a mild, soft bitter aftertaste.

M ~ Cleansing astringent carbonation. Smooth, but a little thin & lighter bodied.

D ~ Given the choice between Ol' Chub & Dale's Pale I'd have to say that Dale's Pales by comparison in a side by side. BUT...still a worthy offering & an enjoyable CANNED BEER!

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

I've drank a good amount of this beer before, 'bout time I review it. Pours a hazy golden blonde-this is one sexy pale ale, one finger head with excellent retention and sticky lacing. Smell is okay, I swear it's smelled better in the past-perhaps this wasn't the freshest can. Still-can smell the centennial and cascade hops, decent malt aroma, slightly sweet-almost like corn, but not in a bad way.

Taste is sticky and sweet-Dale is definitely the younger, paler brother to Gordon. Big fruit punch-grapefruit, but not to bitter or pithy to be still considered a pale ale (definitely a mid-point between APA and IPA) with a sweet malt flavor. Mouthfeel is sticky and medium bodied with a moderate carbonation, a pleasant lingering bitterness balances the malt sweetness.

Heck yeah, drink this beer. Certainly a favorite for frisbee golfers and great for other outdoor activities where cans are preferred to bottles. Easy drinking.

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A - Clear, copper color with a nice 2 finger tan head. Decent retention, plenty of lacing.

S - Citrus, hops, good bready-malt Like the nose.

T - Nice malt bill up front then a nice touch of hops on the back end. Hops are a good mix of pine and citrus. Earthy!

M - Really like the feel. Its ultra smooth, a little heavier than I was anticipating. I'd call it medium-bodied. Damn drinkable!

O - Well, I must say its been a long time since I poured from a can! This is just a very solid beer and would be a great one for outdoor trips or tailgates. Really really am enjoying it!

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

I can appreciate a good APA, and quite possibly this could've been a rough sixer, but I absolutely could not get past the taste. Not even remotely enjoyable. Would love a little more balance to the mouthfeel. Gave it all 6 tries and probably will try it again, given the chance. Far from the worst I've ever had, but it's different for sure.

2.32/5  rDev -41%

On tap into a pint glass.

A- Looks decent; dark amber with a thin white head. Little lacing.

S- Smells of floral hops and a touch of what I like to call 'macro stank'. (not skunk, stank. This is probably from malt, or rice. It can be found on the tongue, too)

T- The hop flavor is pretty nice... but I feel like the rest of the brew is lacking. There is something horrible about it... just poor ingredients other than the hops I suppose. Although, if you need your hop fix, this will do the trick.

M- Medium to light body, medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth a bit dry.

D- About 1/4 way into this beer... I honestly did not want to finish it. Hard to explain, but it just wasn't for me.

I don't get the hype of this one. Are they inconsistent with their batches? Is it better from the can? I may never know... but I do know that it was brutal.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Can to pint glass.

A: Nice, hazy orange body with a 1 finger, creamy off white head. Quick dissipation leaving behind nice lacing. Body is brilliant, but not quite clear.

S: Hoppy pale ale! Smooth malts in background with a sharp, piney hop flavor. Very nice aroma, very strong.

T: Hoppy, smooth, sharp and citrusy PA. Creamy, biscuity and nice malts balance the "voluminously hopped" pale ale.

M: Nice carbonation, nice finish, clean and not too bitter.

D: The fact that this comes from a can is fantastic - no reason it shouldn't, but your brain tells you otherwise. Good tasting, hoppy, flavorful and easy to drink at 6.7%. This is a great beer.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz can poured into a tulip glass.

A: Hazy light orange with a 1 finger off white head. Decent lacing all the way down.

S: Citrus and sweet malts jump right up. There is also a tangerine hint as the beer warms up in the glass...very nice.

T: Lightly sugar sprinkled grapefruit with a nice malty sweetness to round things up.

M: Clean and fruity in the mid palate.

D: Sessionable beer for sure. Love the hop and malt balance on this beer!

This is one of my daily dinner beers.

Salud!