Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Ratings: 7,439 |  Reviews: 1,974

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer is light and crisp but still hoppy. Hoppy but not too bitter. This beer has been around for what seems like forever now but it's stood the test of time. Oskar Blues is the original canned craft beer. At first it seemed like that they were just a novelty beer. "Beer that doesn't suck in a can!", but it really is a great drink. Now everyone is trying to mimic their canning, most notably 21st Amendment.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Clear copper with white head. Retention is good and has decent lacing.

S: Orange peel and sweet caramel malt. Pine and some pineapple. Smell is a bit small.

T: Decently bitter grapefruit pine combo upfront. A bit of pineapple and peach. Ends on a slightly sweet note.

M: Medium body with medium-light carbonation.

O: Solid APA.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a can of Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale a few days ago at for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have never had anything from Oskar Blues before so since they just started shipping their beers to Michigan I thought I would check out their lineup, so I'll start with their Pale Ale and work my way up. lets see how it goes. Canned on 2/21/14 so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label has a pretty clean and classic look to it, I like it, I think it looks nice and it has a slight retro look to it. It poured a nice and slightly darker golden yellow color that took on a slight amber hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking American Pale Ale, and I really liked that they clearly print the canning date on the bottom on the can, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some grainy and bready malts that have a really slight toffee like aroma to it. Up next comes a 50/50 mixture of earthy and citrus hopes that impart earthy hop aromas along with some grapefruit and some slight pineapple aromas. This beer has a pretty good aroma, its balanced nicely and the citrus hops stick out just enough to grab my attention, I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some grainy and bready malt flavors. After that comes the hops which still retain that 50/50 mixture of earthy and citrus hops with a pretty high amount of medium bitterness with a sweet malt and resiny hop aftertaste. This beer tasted good, it had a nice balance of malt and hop flavors, but the hops lent just a little more bitterness than I would have liked, I still enjoyed it though and I thought it was on the border of being an American IPA.

M- Not the smoothest, clean, a little refreshing, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied, and it had a a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I think the bitterness didn't make it that smooth and it was a little on the thick side for the style, it's still nice but it could be better.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a good example of an American Pale Ale, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but it seemed to be right on the border of the style and it was pretty close to an IPA, i have had more than a few IPA's that were much less bitter. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't that smooth because it was a little overly bitter, but the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, so I could myself drinking a couple of these, but it's not the type of APA that I could drink all day during the summer, the bitterness is a little to high for that. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and I thought it had nice balance to it. What I liked least about this beer was the high amount of bitterness, if the bitterness was toned down like a normal APA it would really help the drinkability. I might buy this beer again, but it isn't something that I feel the need to rush out to the store and buy more, but it's for sure worth the price and I would recommend giving it a try if you like APA's and IPA's. All in all i wasn't wowed with this beer, but I thought it was pretty solid for the style and it was fairly enjoyable, but with a couple adjustments I could see this being a great session Pale Ale. This made for a nice first impression of Oskar Blues and i'm interested too see what the rest of their beers are like, it's always nice when good brewery's starts to distribute here, welcome to Michigan Oskar Blues.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew