Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

firstprev| 7276-7300 | 7301-7325 | 7326-7350  | next → last
Ratings: 7,332 |  Reviews: 1,954
3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a pale orange with a small white head. Good lacing on the glass. This is a nice looking beer.

There is a pronounced malt and hop character in the nose. Very nice olfactory balance.

The taste is pretty darn good for a canned beer. The taste is similar to the smeel, just not as balanced as I would like.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a dry clean finish. A good drinking beer.

This beer is really good and infinitely drinkable. I would try this one again.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Got a can as a sample from the distributor who is bringing it into the Virginia Beach market.

Pours a lightish amber colour with a minimal start white head that dissapates quickly. Smell is mainly floral and citrus.

Taste-- I took the first two sips from the can and noticed no metallic notes or off tastes.. Upon pouring into a glass the flavours open up a bit. To me this tasted like a bit less flavourful SNPA. Nice and hoppy with just enough malt to balance. The hops add a nice dry finish to the beer. Drinkability is good as this would be a pretty good session brew especially when outdoors where glass is not allowed. While some may question the practise of canning this beer, I think it's great. Finally a beer you can take out where no glass is allowed and not have to suffer drinking swill. Plus the cans look so different you could probably walk down the beach or street and not get a second look drinking out of it.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Always being pretty fond of Dale's I decided to review the beer after I had one last night. It does bother me that they do advocate drinking their beer out of a can. I don't get it? What about appearence, head retention and aroma. Does it not matter to them or do they think it doesn't matter to us?

The beer poured a light amber with a nice white head that stayed throughout the session and left a nice lace.

The aroma was full of citrus hops and some nice floral aromas as well.

Flavors were modest. Tastes of sweet malts and very hoppy with flavors of grapefruits possible of other citrus fruits from the hops. Very dry and well hopped. Very bitter and not sweet like some.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Draught @ Papago
Having had this in the can version many times, my first opportunity for the draught version and I’ve always said that “Draught Beers” outshine their brothers and sisters in bottles or cans, and this beer is no exception.

The beer pours a translucent amber color with the head large, creamy and an off white color with the lace forming a tight skirt around the glass. Sweet malt nose reinforced by some floral spiciness from the hops, crisp, clean, fresh, “Marvelous”. Front is thick malt, sweet and pleasing to the palate with the top moderate in its feel. Finish is lenient in its acidity, the hops powerful in their bite, quite dry aftertaste that is semi-sweet and a real pleasure to quaff.

3.92/5  rDev 0%

For a beer from a can, I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. It's always a little weird pouring it out of a can, mentally I think I am going to drink a Budweiser. The beer is nice looking, honey in color, with a little head. The aroma has some definite fruitiness along with the the floral hops and sweet aroma of malts. A thin feeling beer but it the taste of this beer is purdy darn good, the spicy fruit flavors accompanied by a not too strong sweet maltiness, and the good presence of hops leaves a little bite at the end. A very drinkable brew.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Well, since I was in a store that actually carries the stuff (in Tucson, not Texas), I had to buy it and taste for myself to see if it was metallic. The beer poured a perfect, clear amber color with a n eggshell colored head that offered a surprising amount of staying power. After 5 minutes, the white wisps still covered more than 75% of the top of my glass. A huge, fruity-hoppy aroma exploded from the glass after the beer glugged ungraciously from the can—I hadn’t poured from a can in a long time and it took me a second to reign in the flow rate… I quickly picked up not only PNW grapefruit, but other sweeter, less citric fruits as well, possibly pineapples in sugar? The flavor was much better than expected too: the crisp, hoppiness countered the fruity, malty sweetness wonderfully, leaving a lingering grapefruity/pineapple upside down cake flavor in my mouth long after the beer disappeared. No hint of metal (even though I was prepared to be very suggestible to it) and a nice, smooth, well carbonated body: not prickly and not flaccid. The only possible flaw I can assign this beer is that the mouthfeel may have been a little less full than I expected from 6.5% ABV. Still, this setback was so minor that I’d gladly overlook it for the opportunity to drink this beer more often.

Good Pale Ale—this is one I’d seek out again: the flavor created where pineapple pastry meets grapefruit was unusual and intriguing. I’m glad I bought two cans…

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours with a creamy, barely off-white head that settles down over brilliantly clear golden liquid. Nose holds lots of malt and hoppiness (Cascades?) giving off crisp aromas. Taste has a depth of sweet maltiness ahead of a hefty dose of snappy hops that come together nicely. Finishes dry and pleasantly bitter...one of the best canned beers I can remember drinking.

firstprev| 7276-7300 | 7301-7325 | 7326-7350  | next → last