Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale
3.88/5
Very Good
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Ratings: 7,395 |  Reviews: 1,968
4.19/5  rDev +8%

I was so excited when I saw a 12 pack of Dale's in my local beer store.

Having a beer from a can is such a novelty these days. As soon as I pour Dale's into my pint glass, I can smell a nice citrus aroma. The beer is a little cloudy and the color is light copper. The head is decent at first but soon disappears all together. It’s not extremely carbonated but certainly not flat.

Man..this beer is very hoppy. They ain’t kidding when they say “ a huge voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale”

I believe I would call this beer delicious. An excellent pale ale. I could drink a lot of these.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a big, dense, foamy, pale cream colored head that left some solid lacing. Transparent copper colored beer holds streams of lazily rising bubbles. Nice dose of citrus hops in the aroma is on par for the style. There is a faint bit of bready malt in there as well. Solid malt base with dominant hops in the form of grapefruit and sun flowers. Finish is just bitter enough. Mouthfeel is soft, and just a hair on the light side. If you're expecting an IPA you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for a hoppy pale ale you should be good to go.

P.S. It comes in a can.

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

I'd been seeing the aluminum can sixers of this and Old Chub for a few weeks now, so I finally picked one up. Decided to start with the pale. The can calls it a "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale." Let's hope they're right. It pours smoothly from the wide mouth an unfiltered orange/amber color with lots of visible carbonation leading up to a frothy 2 finger khaki/yellow head that is very sticky and leaves nice lacing throughout. It smells citric (lemon, grapefruit) with pine and some hop oils. The first taste reveals sweet, almost buttery/nutty malts, with caramel, perhaps some earth, and a medium bitterness from the hops which are grapefruit, orange, pine, perhaps soapy, and there's also an apricot quality in there. The body is just right - medium, carbonated, but not overly so, and soooo smooth, even when very cold and drunk straight from the can. On top of that, I'm having grapefruit burps from a CANNED BEER! I can't believe the quality - it tastes so fresh and goes down so easily. This beer screams session ale - I had to struggle to keep a couple to drink the next day. I need more of this stuff - probably gonna go get a case. Wonder if the Old Chub is as good. I guess we'll see...

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Very hoppy aroma fairly blast you with citrus and pine notes. Amber body supports with a lazy white head. Very malty with medium hop presence, less hoppy tasting than it smelled. Bread, caramel, grapefruit, toffee and minor honey notes. The can is just awesome by the way.

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%

Let me start by saying I felt like an asshole approaching the counter with a 6pk of cans, but I had been told by a handful of people that I would have to look past that, and that the contents of the can were fantastic. I'm glad I took the advice. This stuff pours a crystal clear golden orange with a nice looking white foamy head. It hangs around for about 90 seconds then subsides to sticky lace stuck to the sides of the glass and a thing white haze over the surface of the liquid. The smell is sweet and hoppy with a little citrus mixed in there as well. The taste is awsome!! Great hops and a bit of grapefruit. Very "juicy" taste. There is also a dry maltiness on the finish. Very smooth and very easy to drink. Nicely balanced and a big, big surprise out of a can!!!

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

The NY Times made a big deal about the can and how this contributed to the freshness. Indeed, the beer does taste very fresh, like something you'd have at a brewpub. It's nicely hoppy in the nose and on your tongue (or, preferably, my tongue). The citrus-y hops and substantial maltiness would qualify this as an IPA by many standards. It's a beauty, too, bright amber with a frothy 1/2 inch head and loads of lacing. The smell is grassy and herbal. Dale's goes down easily, so much so that some could treat it as a summertime lawn mower beer...but at 6.5%, pay it the respect it's due.

Note: After writing this, I got two more cans and liked it even more. I then bought another two cans, and liked those more. This beer is really growing on me.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I scanned the can for a hint of a "canned on" date but didn't find much, but hey it's a can right?

It's not a big deal to pour, just have to take it easy to avoid the glug.

Here we go, a body I would say is closer to orange than amber, but not really 100% of either. Small white foamy head that didn't stick around long.

Theres a note of grapefruit in the scent with very very light leafyness.

Boy it goes down smooth, as do most beers after a hard week. Bitterness races through the flavor profile real quick, then it settles to a nice malty balance, and then some bitterness returns for an aftertaste, very interesting.

I could totally session with some of this. Hell, I'm tempted to just guzzle it from the can simply because it's in a can, but I won't.
...Or will I?

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Dale's has become big on the Boston scene all of a sudden so naturally I had to try it out as there are not many decent craft beers avialable in a can.

This one is quite decent--it pours a clear amber. Leaves a small head and minimal lacing. Smell is outdoorsy, piney and woody in general. Taste is well balanced with some maltinesss and a hop bite right off the bat and then a more caramel salt waterish finish. Very smooth and a nice tingly mouthfeel. Drinkability is excellent.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

12oz can purchased from Shoreline poured into a chalice. I dig the can graphics.

The pour shows a shiny orange body. Head is off-white, bubbly - lacing is present but boring on the way down.

To the nose, a silky hop sweetness jumps out. It is a full and rich noseful.

In the mouth, the hop character is overwhelming at first - but then is quickly tempered by layers of maltiness. It is a fairly clean sweetness too - very pleasant on the tongue.

The feel is a little light - carbonation is seemlingly gone but it tastes as it is there. The finish is not quite as satisfying as there is no real winner between the hops and the malts.

Musings: Like everyone - had to try. It's appears to be a little off the mark - but is highly enjoyable for a can. Price point is a little high - if it comes down, I culd be drinking this summer quiite a bit.

So I stop at Canals in NJ and they have a $1/can sale for a pale ale in a can. So I bite - and was I impressed.

A: Can #1 I took to the head, so it wasn't until #2 where I had a glass available. No typical can wh-pish was to be found, so I thought I was in for a flat beer, but poured a nice pale ale deep amber color. Nice.

S: Hoppy, closer to an IPA than a PA, Slight caramel tones - pleasantly suprised.

M: Drank this slowly, as I didn't want to move back to college days and pound the can back. Let the taste stay on my toungue. Nice balance.

T: Flavor that stays with you - nice bitterness, with a slight sweetness.

Let me state this - you will not find a better beer in a can. This will be very close to me as soon as golf season starts back up! Very convenient package. (also can easily be mistaken for a Pepsi can - to keep the golf marshalls at bay!)

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Particulate-choked pumpkin with butternut edges. The initially zesty carbonation settled down within minutes, having created a lovely looking head of pastel orange that looks to be chock full of hop oils. It's melting impossibly slowly and is leaving a nearly completely covered glass in its wake. A truly first-class look.

The nose is absolutely loaded with at least one, and probably a few, of the 4-Cs. Oskar Blues will only admit to 'four kinds of American hops', but there's no doubt that grapefruit peel and oranges are on parade. More specifically, brown sugary, pine sap-dipped, candied grapefruit and orange zest chunks. Many IPAs would be proud to have a nose this hopaliciously good.

Dale's Pale Ale isn't quite as stunning on the palate. I can't say that I've had another beer from a can that tasted as much like the can as this one does. I'm sure these things are lined in this day and age, but there's a definite metallic quality to the flavor that isn't sitting well with me. Thankfully, the metal fades quickly and is all but gone by the third mouthful. In its place is a firmly hoppy pale ale that isn't as brilliant as the nose implied. It's no slouch, but I'm not tempted to reach for any words more complimentary than 'good'.

This is definitely a well-malted APA. There's too much caramel for my tastes, but at least the brewers have seen fit to balance it (some would say overbalance it) with a boatload of hops. Dale's is a larger-than-life pale ale, one of the biggest I've had, but it still doesn't knock Alpha King from its perch. The abundant ingredients result in a long, lingering finish that highlights the clinging resinousness of the hops.

As already alluded to, the mouthfeel is medium-full in general and bursting at the seams for the style. Rarely do pale ales achieve this degree of viscous chewability and mouthcoating stickiness. Carbonation works behind the scenes to lighten things a little and very nearly fails in the attempt.

Before popping the tab, I wondered whether Dale's Pale Ale would supplant my favorite canned beer of all-time, Caldera Pale. Caldera's version is my clear favorite, although from what I remember, the scores are similar. This is an excellent choice (when glass is verboten) for those hopheads lucky enough to have access.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

appearance: The pour from the can to my pint produces a pretty 1" off white head that gradually falls back into the glass, leaving a nice layer behind as well as some lacing. The beer is a slightly hazy new-copper amber.

smell: Pretty hoppy, but not without plenty of malt balance. On the nose I find aromas of both fresh hops, and tealike, boiled hop matter. Behind that is a considerable caramel sweetness and sugar cookies. Also considerable aromas of fruits, tropical and otherwise...maybe some sweet apple. I could easily bump it up to 4.5, but I'm looking for a little more.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is a very smooth medium, and the body medium as well...and kinda slick. There is a sticky feeling in the back of the throat that I don't much care for.

taste: There's a moderate caramel sweetness and a tealike hop flavor. An average APA bitterness come in at the finish, and lingers with just a touch of sweet graininess. I like it, but could do without some of the "boiled hop matter" flavor.

drinkability: a good APA that drinks easily

Received from Zorro in BCG BIF

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%

Purchased a 6 pack of cans from Martignetti's. Heard from BearPanther that they'd started distributing in MA, so I was quite happen when I saw it.

Appearance = Really good looking deep amber with creamy 1/2'' head was stable and consistent. Lots of bubbles rising up. Semi-transparent..looks very flavorful.

Smell = Pretty average in the nose. Smells much more like an IPA with citrusy hops dominating.

Taste = This is a good beer but it's a tiny bit too harsh which prevents it from being great. It's very bitter and hoppy and really behaves more like an IPA. I like the strong hops and there is some malt to balance it fairly. The courseness is just a bit too much though and it cuts through the flavor and brings it the experience down a bit. Drinkability is great though and the mouthfeel was good too.

Overall = Not as good as Sherwood Forest's Archer's Ale but Dale's Pale is right behind it as the second best beer in a can. This harsh, hoppy pale ale is quite drinkable and enjoyable is you like hops. It's a bit too coarse but that's my only real complaint.

I happened upon this beer by accident one day here in NJ. I saw a stack of these little 12 packs and saw it was a brew I haven't tried, let alone even heard of. I figured what the hey...

I was sort of pleasing surprised by this ale. Nice color and aroma. Taste can be a little harsh if you are use to the mass produced beers like Coors and the such. I'm not so i found it a great drinking beer when you are in the mood for just a few. More than a few can knock you on your butt @ 6.5% alcohol. This has become my Saturday night beer of choice for the last couple of months.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

I got this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. "A Huge Voluminously Hopped Mutha of a Pale Ale" on the can. Also, "Gonzo Beer in a Can".

Pours a slightly hazy copper with a nice one finger head of off-white foam. The head falls to islands and a ring, with very good lacing. Carbonation appears medium.

Aroma is very nice citrusy lemons, very floral, and a good toffee candy like malt. Smell is clean and caramely.

Flavor is really clean caramel malt, fairly bitter, with a good citrusy lemon taste. Residual sweetness is fairly high. This has a pretty big malt character for as hoppy as it is. Very well balanced. Aftertaste is malty and hoppy and good.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Sort of smooth anbd creamy, feels good in your mouth. Finish is soft and fairly full.

This is one of the better Pale Ales I've had in a while. Well balanced, good malt character, good hop bitterness, good hop flavor. Makes me want another.

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beerpanther forced me to purchase this one at gunpoint (only kidding) - but it came highly recommended and I admit to being intruiged at the possibility of a good beer coming out of a can.

Pours a beautiful amber honey with a thick white head. Good lacing - almost looks like a cask.

Honey sweetness and citrus dominate the nose and palate. Lots of hops up front, but I felt that the bitterness didnt maintain through the sweep of the tasting cycle. A bit astringent of an aftertaste - not at all to be blamed on the can. Smooth going down. A very drinkable PA. I think I would have liked some deeper levels of taste - I felt that the beer had a lot of good flavors up front, but they dissipated into a barren wasteland of nothingness. I was waiting for the tumbleweed to start flying by...

All in all, a fine pale ale. It's no alpha king, but I would definitely drink it if I came across it again.

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Nice burnished copper in color with a big foamy, white head that never really went away. Lots of lacing all around the glass. Nose is mildyl malty with just a slight hint of hops.

Flavor was at first full of fresh hops nicely balanced with a slight malt backbone. However, within minutes of being poured and beginning to warm the hop flavors quickly turned into a sour, bad vegetable offering. Maybe I just got a bad can but this was tough to drink. It eventually wound up being pretty sour. Medium body but a bit too tastebud-twisting in the finish.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

The beer is light coppery, with a beautiful rocky head, but its a little cloudy. The aroma is slightly malty and some moderate hop aroma is present as well - a piney, citrusy hop or hop blend. It could stand to be a little more intense but it suits the style. The flavor is great - a slight bit of caramel and malt up front, then a nice smooth hop bitterness and a finish that's lightly sweet and nicely bitter. Very nice. This is the 2nd best beer in a can I've ever had (see Old Chub for the best one). Great!

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

nick at bauer told me heard that this beer is supposed to change my perceptions about beer in a can... we shall see nick, we shall see... :P

very nice looking beer, coppery amber with a thick tan head that lasts and lasts, lacing well all the way down the glass.
grapefruity and slightly herbal hops greet the nose with a lime aroma and a bit of caramel. it can be a little harsh once in a while.
the taste filled with sweet tangy slightly resinous grapefruit. there is also the lime flavor found in the aroma. some light pine can be found too. the caramel takes a back seat to all of this, but it can be found towards the middle and finish, along with a leafy hop bitterness.
the body is medium and coating with light carbonation.
drinkability is good, an excellent beer to sit and have a few of.

overall i'm damn impressed with this beer. i would never have guessed it was from a can. consider my perceptions changed.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

This beer pours a rusty orange color and leaves a frothy head with holes throughout the froth. The smell of this ale is piney and citrus with some sweet fruit candy in the background of this nectar. The taste of this ale is so smooth it hits you with a very light carbonation followed by a sweet honey comb flavor finished with a bitterness that leave you wanting a little more. The overall flavor is a bit bland on the finish but this is still a quallity brew.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy burnt orange color with a very nice head that leaves plenty of lace

Smell: Biscuity smell combined with a background of citrusy hops

Taste: Starts out with a nice bit of biscuity malt but that is quickly subsumed by a dose of bitter hops; the hops dominate for quite some time, but the malt returns on the finish to provide a bit of residual sweetness; there is also a bit of sour rye in the finish as well

Mouthfeel: A bit thick and slick with relatively low carbonation

Drinkability: A very nicely executed pale ale, with a balanced flavor profile

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz aluminum can courtesy of ppoitras.
Pours a coppery orange with a decent sized egg-shell colored head. Good retention and lacing.
Smell is light fruits (grapes, peaches, etc.) some hops and a lot of caramel or toffee.
Taste is pretty well the same as smell although the hop flavor is much more intense than I would have thought from the smell. A bit buttery in flavor.
Mouthfeel is a little thick for a pale ale, but overall a pretty good beer.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Had to try, great packaging and a very good beer indeed. previous reviewer is pretty accurate, minimal to no head. Carbonation is light which equates to an extremely drinkable can beer (like say yoo hoo). I drank out of the can and then poured into a glass. Definitely an American IPA by anyone's standards. How many 6.5% pale ales are there? Definite floral hops and a fairley dry finish althjough enough of malt back up. I thought I found my new summer pool beer until I saw the abv.

4.41/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Be careful when you open these cans as they fill them to the brim and they tend to splash all over you. This one pours out to a hazy caramel amber with little flecks of sediment, trying hard to eek out a modest head with a vigorous pour....soapy in nature with poor retention and minimal lacing. Carbonation is mild to absent. The aroma is very nice, especially for a canned brew...sharply hoppy with floral, grapefruit, vanilla and pine notes...not pungent, however. Malts are nicely evident with some husk and skunkweed when swirled. The mouthfeel is slick and wet with a medium dense body. The taste is rich and pungently hoppy with a lingering malty sweetness throughout. Bitterness is mild to moderate and leafy in nature with a dry hop finish. Aftertaste of grapefruit rind.

One hell of a pale ale, probably closer to an IPA in nature. A very good brew, and the best canned beer I've had to date.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Nice amber/copper color. Can opened with no fizz. A nice white head. I poured half in a glass and will drink the other half old school style. Citrusy floral hop aroma. Very hoppy taste. Slight carbonation. A little thick or syrupy. Drinking from the can is like drinking orange soda with hops. Not bad. If I had to drink canned beer I could definitely drink this.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew