Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Very Good
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Ratings: 7,447 |  Reviews: 1,974
4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Hell yeah! Oskar Blues beers (Dale's Pale Ale and Old Chub, at least) are available at Consumer's on Transit in Williamsville! Picked up a sixer today. Can art is a bit different: Blue background, red and white logo with mountain landscape in the background -- no bricks or whatever that is on the picture here. Pours a bright copper with frothy soy-milk-colored head. Citric aromas of grapefruit and pine sap blended with a sweetish biscuity malt scent. Taste is extremely hoppy for an American Pale Ale; astringent grapefruit and tangerine flavors abound. There is nevertheless a strong malt backbone, biscuity and caramelly. Lovely hop-tinged burps. Much more like an IPA, in my opinion. Smooth, juicy mouthfeel and medium-light body. Quite drinkable, just don't agree that it's an APA. I'm super excited that this is available in Buffalo now -- I've been wanting to try this for a while and thought I'd have to wait until my next trip to Denver. Not so!

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to RobBeer for lugging this all the way to Japan.

A - Nice hazy orange body. With thin stubborn white lacing.
S - Holy cascade hop (oranges) aroma! I love it. Maltyness.
T - Nice big orange hoppy profile. Big malt balancing the big hop. This gots to be more IPA than just APA. A nice bit of yeastyness. I imagine this is "can conditioned". Despite the big orange flavor, this beer is not overly bitter. There could be a bit more sweetness.
M - Nice and creamy. Delish.
D - I like this, I wish it was sold in Japan!!! It makes me all nostalgic.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

I got this on tap while getting a drink before dinner in NYC last weekend. It was poured from a tap handle that had a Dale's Pale Ale can on it.

A-The color was a dark golden color that was still translucent. With a 1/4 off white head that left a surprising amount of lace(which lasted the entire beer).
S- was of hops (i'm pretty sure cascade were present, as well as at least one more). The hops carried a citrus/grapefruit scent, and there was a light malt scent presence as well.
T-The body of the beer was nice with a citrus hop body that was not too overwhelming. The finish had a strong hop crispness, and a bitter but smooth finish.
M/D- The mouthfeel was nice. There was not too much carbonation, actually it kinda had a really low carbonation level(well a little lower than I prefer). It kinda reminded me of SNPA, but that is probably because of the cascade hops. Overall I enjoyed this beer, and it was a great way to start of my week end in new york.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dale's Pale Ale

Served up in an aluminum can. ($2.00)

Appearance- honey orange with a thick white head. Lotsa lacing.
Smell- Creamy malt with a robust earthy hop kick.
Taste- smooth creamy malt balanced well with the dirty earthy hops. No sugary sweetness and no adjunct!
Mouthfeel- An easy to drink smooth Pale Ale. Slight bitterness in the end and a little heavy on the carbonation.

Overall- A very good Pale Ale and even bigger thumbs up cause its in a can. A definite purchase for when cans-only will suffice!! This will be found in my backpack during hiking trips!

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

I have to say this is my new favorite APA,poured a clear deep golden with a very tight well retained 0ne finger head that stuck like glue to the pint glass dissapating ever so slowly.Intermingling aromas of biscuity lightly sweet malt and piney,resiny hop neither win out but a re a perfect match,wow what balance and hop character starts out with a suger dough-like quality but a "voluminously" big piney,resiny hop quality follows thru to the end.I'll tell you what to me its dead on what a American pale ale should be the American hop profile is there but there is some balance,damn I loved it.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Served in a 12oz aluminum can. Pours a golden honey color with a nice white head that clears to a film over time. Smells hoppy. Taste has malty sweetness and strong hoppyness. Mouthfeel is good. Very drinkable. Good beer to enjoy while hiking, especially where you can't bring glass.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Poured the color of hay, a good three finger head with slight lacing left as I drank it.

Smells very hoppy and sweet.

Tastes, hoppy and crisp, not overly bitter, slightly sour in the finish

Hoppy mouthfeel leaves a happy tingle on the palate, crisp and slightly bitter.

a great pale ale, perfect for warm weather days on your front porch. Will drink again.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

My first craft beer in a can. Much more than I was expecting. The color is a nice orange amber. There was a decent head. The smell is very fruity. The taste is superb for a pale ale. Hoppy, with a subdued sweetness. No negative flavors. The mouthfeel is just the right amount of lingering hoppiness. This is a session beer if I have ever seen one. Plus being in a can you could take it places you could not bottles such as sporting events. If I had not poured this beer there is no way you could tell it was from a can. This will become my new session beer if I can find it locally.

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Consumed straight from the can. Hoppy, grassy aroma emerges as I pop the can. It seems a bit resiny and piney. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with soft carbonation. Piney and floral hop flavors on the front. Transitions into a nice bready malt middle. The hops return in the finish and are combined with a long caramel taste. The caramel flavor becomes even more intense and lingering in the finish as the beer warms.

This is a pretty decent pale ale. I'm even more (slightly) impressed that it's available in a can. This might be a new tailgating staple for summer Brewers games at Miller Park.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance: clear orange in color with a short 1?2" head. Mild lacing develops. Nice carbonation levels.

Smell: floral hops and citrus.

Taste: nice malt backbone, but there is a bit too much graininess here. Orange citrus, flowery bitterness, and some hints of honey round it out.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, finish is smooth and a tad dry. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: decently drinkable from a glass, probably better from a can when you can't be drinking out of glass. Worth a try.

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

Average appearance for an American Pale Ale. The taste had a nice citrus hint and seemed to be well hopped. However, the aroma left a bit to be desired, as it was a bit flat and lacked the complexity that separates the superior ales of this style.

Overall it is a good beer, however I think much of its appeal is derived from the fact that it comes in a can. A good marketing ploy.

ABV is a plus.

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%

Even though I know it doesn't make a difference, it's still hard to accept a good micro brew coming from a can. That being said, this beer pours a beautiful amber color with ruby highlights. Appears to be heavily carbonated, and a head quickly rises and falls.

Aroma is filled with piney and citrus hops. Cascade seems to stand out a bit. Also, a bit of alcohol is barely detectable.

Nice balance in the flavor though. Malty, and slightly sweet up front, but finishes rather bitter. Again, cascade hops seems to dominate the finish. Quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but stays silky. Drinkability is good.

I really enjoy all the Oskar blues offering in the cans.... I truly do. I personally think they'd be rated higher if they were in bottles though. I understand why they do it, and I applaud them for it. But it's a risky move for a start up micro. I think it's great.... this is my one and only go to beer when I'm out camping, on a boat, or anywhere else that glass isn't appropriate or allowed.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours up a translucent pale copper color with a generous, creamy light beige head. Good retention and lacing. Light pine and citrusy hop notes with a delicate, toasty malt backbone. Crisp and a little too clean finishing, with a gentle hop bitterness along with a some residual maltiness. Slight wateriness mid-palate. Goes down pretty easily, despite a subtle medicinal phenolic presence after drinking a few. Overall, I'd say it's a pretty decent APA, but I can think of better examples.

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours an orangey-brown hue with a gorgeous 1" head. Tons of lacing... a beautiful beer to behold once it has freed itself from the confines of the aluminum.

Interesting aroma for an APA. There are tons of hops there to be sure, but there is a significant malt presence as well. Smells big and thick and refreshing.... noticeably piney... yum.

Perhaps the best tasting APA I have ever had (with the exception of maybe Great Divide's Fresh Hop, which is fantastic as well.... also note I have not had Alpha King, and so cannot compare the two). Big hoppy citrus notes, backed up by a resinous piney flavour. The malt provides a great backbone to make this beer throughly quaffable and tremendously refreshing.

Clean, crisp mouthfeel.... moderately thick... quite nice.

As I said, immensely quaffable. Perhaps my new favourite session brew... I will be certain to buy my fair share of cases of these bad boys.
A tremendously underrated beer in my opinion. Don't let the ridiculous can stigma scare you off. The second beer I have tried from Oskar Blues... and the second winner. Fantastic job.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

Finally Dale's Pale Ale comes to NC!
I first discovered Dale's in an aricle in All About Beer in 05, and read an article in the New York Times that claimed Dale's Pale Ale to be number one in the nation.
Let's See.
Appearance is copper and brilliantly clear with a creamy tight laced head.
Nose is aromatic grapefruit, apricot, and pney resin.
Mouth is smooth more malty sweet than expected but not too much. This allows a nice peacan nuty-ness to develope with undertones of toasty bread and the lingering citrus and bitter hops is inviting for another sip. This is an easy drinking Pale Ale and a great transition beer for those who are not into hoppy beers. This is no Alpha King of Pisgah Pale, but still one of the better Pale Ales.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

This is my favorite, everyday beer. The head is nice and frothy and lasts a decent amount of time. Not a hop bomb, but plenty of hops and sweet maltiness. Lots of floral hops, not so much citrus and chewy. Plenty of carbonation. I can and have drunk these for hours on end.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to JMD71 for this one...
Pours a semi-cloudy copper color with a full finger of off-white head...of which half remains. What is left is some very attractive webbing of lace.
Crisp floral hops in the nose, along with a generous amount of carmelized malt.
The taste is simply awesome...to taste this coming from a can is so refreshing. A solid malt backbone, but the flower dominates up front...the beer becomes sweeter as it works its way to room temperature.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, the carbonation is up there, but not too high and goes down very easy.
Finishes beautifully bitter, but very clean as each sip goes down.
Solid beer...

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

This pale ale, somewhat unique because it comes in an aluminum can, is rather sadly rather average. It pours a nice gold-amber color, with a nice white foamy head. The smell is hoppy but not excessivley so. The taste mirrors the smell, being slightly bitter (am I also tasting the can?. A descent pale ale but the only thing which sets it part from the other brews out there is its packaging (it would be an ideal choice for campers).

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

A dark orange/copper colored beer with a slight haze. Has a big foamy light beige head with plenty of good lace. A bittersweet grapefruit character dominates to aroma with a hint of malty sweetness in the background. There is a quick hint of malt sweetness on the tip of the tongue. Followed by a blast of grapefruit hop bitterness. There is another quick hint of malt before the dry hop finish. Very refreshing.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

6-pack of cans from Reservoir Wine and Spirits in Brighton for $8.

This is a seriously good pale ale, like better than SNPA good. To me the packaging is irrelevant (can or bottle) because I am going to pour it into a glass anyways. So long as it arrives fresh, and it tastes good, then I am happy. This beer pours an orangey amber color, with a bubbly head that doesn't ever completely recede. It is a classic APA: all hops. In terms of taste, it might be closer to an IPA, but the classification isn't really all that important because the styles are pretty much the same anyways. There is a strong, puckering hops taste that finishes with a delicious fruitiness that lingers. I would reccomend this beer regardless of its packaging.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a pint glass at fridge temperature.

Appearance- This sure isn't *pale*... it pours a fiery, clear orange with millions of tiny particles in suspension. The dense, off-white crown stands stubbornly at almost three fingers, and even after five minutes it still thickly coats the surface. It's a gorgeous looking beer, with sheets of sticky lacing that clings all the way down. A perfect "5".

Smell- Gobs of orange, grapefruit, and even tangerine and apricot... the nose is huge, even cold. This aroma is so hopped that one could easily mistake it for its older, stronger brother. As the beer opens up, notes of caramel and other malts come forth. I can't believe this poured from a can... <feeling paradigm shift>

Taste- Upon entrance, the big citrus fruit hop characteristics unfold completely on the tongue... followed by a wonderful *belch*. As the bitterness traverses over the tongue (and eventually claims it as its slave), the malts begin their balancing to make things right. A bit too over the top for my tastes, but the can thing is whack.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Surprising light and not very effervescent. There isn't much action at all in the mouth, which was a little disappointing. The lingering finish is loaded with biscuity, caramel malt flavors and a lot of bitterness... it really needs some weight or carbonation to pull off the flavor density. Very nice beer, and definitely worth the try.

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

I finally got around to trying Dale's Pale Ale. I think it was kismet, since there was only one six-pack left at the store. Poured a golden color with a fat two finger head. Hop aromas all over the place. Absolutely amazing. In my opinion, certainly closer to an IPA. The numbers would support as well at 60+ IBU's and 6.5% ABV. Wickedly drinkable. May be a bit high in alcohol for a session brew, but it won't stop me from trying. This may very well be my favorite IPA. I love the fact that one of the reasons these guys are canning is because it made them laugh. I was the one laughing at a party I went to when people thought I was drinking "generic beer". I just love the notion of a kick ass IPA in a can. Oskar Blues rocks!!!

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

6-pack cans. Poured into pint glass (not all at once)
Smell hits right off the bat, nice hops..a bit of citrus.
Caramel/Amber color with a good head that persisted.
Taste was great, except a bit of metallic from the can lingered. Otherwise a nice beer. Good balance...6 didn't last long

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Nice copper, deep golden color. Samllish head when poured. Visible carbonation. Light penetrates the glass highlighting the fabulous color.

Smell: When the can is opened, your nose is smacked with the wonderful malty/hoppy aroma. Aroma reminds me of the smell of wort boiling. Makes you anticipate the first sip...

Taste: Excellent! Truly tasty pale ale. You can really taste the malt & hops with this ale. Beautifully balanced between the two. The finish is wonderfully hoppy, but not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: This has a great mouthfeel all around. A smooth, crisp, clean pale ale. Leaves you wanting the next sip faster than the last.

Drinkability: I find this very drinkable for more than one. I think this would make a great session beer....

Comments: I give this pale a high rating & recommend to others. Very well balanced overall. Didn't know what to expect with being in cans & all, but truly paid off. Excellent flavor, no lingering bitterness & crisp finish. Wonderful all around....

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

I don't mind telling y'all, I spent Saturday night drinking this in a car. Illegal? Yes. Dangerous? No. The driver wasn't drinking. Yeah I know it could have cost us all a night in the "big house" but damnit we weren't hurting anybody and it was like a six hour drive and why should us passengers sit in boredom.

Also, I don't mind telling y'all, but this is probably the best beer I've ever drank in a car. It was so good, in fact, that I had to save one to take home, in order to do a proper review.

Solid APA pour. Dark orange, medium haze, decent, fairly-retentive head.

Very hoppy smell. Bitter, intense hops with no real malt backing. Decent, but not complex.

The same hops of the nose come in loud and clear in the taste, a solid hop blast to start with, leading into a solid sweet back of malt and ending on a nice mix of the two. Good balance.

Great suppin beer, this.