Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Ratings: 7,559 |  Reviews: 1,994
4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours an orangey-brown hue with a gorgeous 1" head. Tons of lacing... a beautiful beer to behold once it has freed itself from the confines of the aluminum.

Interesting aroma for an APA. There are tons of hops there to be sure, but there is a significant malt presence as well. Smells big and thick and refreshing.... noticeably piney... yum.

Perhaps the best tasting APA I have ever had (with the exception of maybe Great Divide's Fresh Hop, which is fantastic as well.... also note I have not had Alpha King, and so cannot compare the two). Big hoppy citrus notes, backed up by a resinous piney flavour. The malt provides a great backbone to make this beer throughly quaffable and tremendously refreshing.

Clean, crisp mouthfeel.... moderately thick... quite nice.

As I said, immensely quaffable. Perhaps my new favourite session brew... I will be certain to buy my fair share of cases of these bad boys.
A tremendously underrated beer in my opinion. Don't let the ridiculous can stigma scare you off. The second beer I have tried from Oskar Blues... and the second winner. Fantastic job.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

Finally Dale's Pale Ale comes to NC!
I first discovered Dale's in an aricle in All About Beer in 05, and read an article in the New York Times that claimed Dale's Pale Ale to be number one in the nation.
Let's See.
Appearance is copper and brilliantly clear with a creamy tight laced head.
Nose is aromatic grapefruit, apricot, and pney resin.
Mouth is smooth more malty sweet than expected but not too much. This allows a nice peacan nuty-ness to develope with undertones of toasty bread and the lingering citrus and bitter hops is inviting for another sip. This is an easy drinking Pale Ale and a great transition beer for those who are not into hoppy beers. This is no Alpha King of Pisgah Pale, but still one of the better Pale Ales.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

This is my favorite, everyday beer. The head is nice and frothy and lasts a decent amount of time. Not a hop bomb, but plenty of hops and sweet maltiness. Lots of floral hops, not so much citrus and chewy. Plenty of carbonation. I can and have drunk these for hours on end.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to JMD71 for this one...
Pours a semi-cloudy copper color with a full finger of off-white head...of which half remains. What is left is some very attractive webbing of lace.
Crisp floral hops in the nose, along with a generous amount of carmelized malt.
The taste is simply awesome...to taste this coming from a can is so refreshing. A solid malt backbone, but the flower dominates up front...the beer becomes sweeter as it works its way to room temperature.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, the carbonation is up there, but not too high and goes down very easy.
Finishes beautifully bitter, but very clean as each sip goes down.
Solid beer...

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

This pale ale, somewhat unique because it comes in an aluminum can, is rather sadly rather average. It pours a nice gold-amber color, with a nice white foamy head. The smell is hoppy but not excessivley so. The taste mirrors the smell, being slightly bitter (am I also tasting the can?. A descent pale ale but the only thing which sets it part from the other brews out there is its packaging (it would be an ideal choice for campers).

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

A dark orange/copper colored beer with a slight haze. Has a big foamy light beige head with plenty of good lace. A bittersweet grapefruit character dominates to aroma with a hint of malty sweetness in the background. There is a quick hint of malt sweetness on the tip of the tongue. Followed by a blast of grapefruit hop bitterness. There is another quick hint of malt before the dry hop finish. Very refreshing.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

6-pack of cans from Reservoir Wine and Spirits in Brighton for $8.

This is a seriously good pale ale, like better than SNPA good. To me the packaging is irrelevant (can or bottle) because I am going to pour it into a glass anyways. So long as it arrives fresh, and it tastes good, then I am happy. This beer pours an orangey amber color, with a bubbly head that doesn't ever completely recede. It is a classic APA: all hops. In terms of taste, it might be closer to an IPA, but the classification isn't really all that important because the styles are pretty much the same anyways. There is a strong, puckering hops taste that finishes with a delicious fruitiness that lingers. I would reccomend this beer regardless of its packaging.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a pint glass at fridge temperature.

Appearance- This sure isn't *pale*... it pours a fiery, clear orange with millions of tiny particles in suspension. The dense, off-white crown stands stubbornly at almost three fingers, and even after five minutes it still thickly coats the surface. It's a gorgeous looking beer, with sheets of sticky lacing that clings all the way down. A perfect "5".

Smell- Gobs of orange, grapefruit, and even tangerine and apricot... the nose is huge, even cold. This aroma is so hopped that one could easily mistake it for its older, stronger brother. As the beer opens up, notes of caramel and other malts come forth. I can't believe this poured from a can... <feeling paradigm shift>

Taste- Upon entrance, the big citrus fruit hop characteristics unfold completely on the tongue... followed by a wonderful *belch*. As the bitterness traverses over the tongue (and eventually claims it as its slave), the malts begin their balancing to make things right. A bit too over the top for my tastes, but the can thing is whack.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Surprising light and not very effervescent. There isn't much action at all in the mouth, which was a little disappointing. The lingering finish is loaded with biscuity, caramel malt flavors and a lot of bitterness... it really needs some weight or carbonation to pull off the flavor density. Very nice beer, and definitely worth the try.

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

I finally got around to trying Dale's Pale Ale. I think it was kismet, since there was only one six-pack left at the store. Poured a golden color with a fat two finger head. Hop aromas all over the place. Absolutely amazing. In my opinion, certainly closer to an IPA. The numbers would support as well at 60+ IBU's and 6.5% ABV. Wickedly drinkable. May be a bit high in alcohol for a session brew, but it won't stop me from trying. This may very well be my favorite IPA. I love the fact that one of the reasons these guys are canning is because it made them laugh. I was the one laughing at a party I went to when people thought I was drinking "generic beer". I just love the notion of a kick ass IPA in a can. Oskar Blues rocks!!!

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

6-pack cans. Poured into pint glass (not all at once)
Smell hits right off the bat, nice hops..a bit of citrus.
Caramel/Amber color with a good head that persisted.
Taste was great, except a bit of metallic from the can lingered. Otherwise a nice beer. Good balance...6 didn't last long

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Nice copper, deep golden color. Samllish head when poured. Visible carbonation. Light penetrates the glass highlighting the fabulous color.

Smell: When the can is opened, your nose is smacked with the wonderful malty/hoppy aroma. Aroma reminds me of the smell of wort boiling. Makes you anticipate the first sip...

Taste: Excellent! Truly tasty pale ale. You can really taste the malt & hops with this ale. Beautifully balanced between the two. The finish is wonderfully hoppy, but not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: This has a great mouthfeel all around. A smooth, crisp, clean pale ale. Leaves you wanting the next sip faster than the last.

Drinkability: I find this very drinkable for more than one. I think this would make a great session beer....

Comments: I give this pale a high rating & recommend to others. Very well balanced overall. Didn't know what to expect with being in cans & all, but truly paid off. Excellent flavor, no lingering bitterness & crisp finish. Wonderful all around....

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

I don't mind telling y'all, I spent Saturday night drinking this in a car. Illegal? Yes. Dangerous? No. The driver wasn't drinking. Yeah I know it could have cost us all a night in the "big house" but damnit we weren't hurting anybody and it was like a six hour drive and why should us passengers sit in boredom.

Also, I don't mind telling y'all, but this is probably the best beer I've ever drank in a car. It was so good, in fact, that I had to save one to take home, in order to do a proper review.

Solid APA pour. Dark orange, medium haze, decent, fairly-retentive head.

Very hoppy smell. Bitter, intense hops with no real malt backing. Decent, but not complex.

The same hops of the nose come in loud and clear in the taste, a solid hop blast to start with, leading into a solid sweet back of malt and ending on a nice mix of the two. Good balance.

Great suppin beer, this.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

12oz can. No freshness date.
Dull honey amber color with a fading off-white head and some sticky and trailing lacing.
This brew has an odd husk and damp grain smell. A whiff of pinesap is in the background.
The predominant taste is of sweet honey coated powered malt. An unusual taste of over-ripe melon is noticeable. Do I taste unripe pears? Weird! Weirder yet, is a slight taste of buttermilk. The hops have a raspy black tea-like astringent bitterness. Upon more careful scrutiny, a metallic (pennies) bitterness emerges. A weak lime-like citrusy bitterness lingers. The alcoholic bite is a bit harsh, though not overwhelming. This brew seems to stray off the mark of the typical Pale Ale style. I feel like I need to have my taste buds refreshed or tested after drinking this oddball beer!

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%

Popped the top on the can, but didn't get quite the "pop" I expected. Pours a clear amber hue with a huge off-white frothy head, but no bubbles of carbination rising in the beer itself. There's a huge pine-citrus aroma rising from my glass. As for the taste, there's an initial malty sweetness with slight buttery notes quickly followed by a tangy middle of pine sap and grapefruit, finishing with a lingering bitterness. Altogether, a very hoppy beer, more of an IPA than an APA to me personally. Not as carbonated as I'd expect in the mouthfeel, especially coming from a can.

Overall, a good beer (even for me not being a hop-head), but it's the can that truly makes this one stand out. Kudo's to the brewers on taking a chance on putting a micro in a can.

4.19/5  rDev +8%

I was so excited when I saw a 12 pack of Dale's in my local beer store.

Having a beer from a can is such a novelty these days. As soon as I pour Dale's into my pint glass, I can smell a nice citrus aroma. The beer is a little cloudy and the color is light copper. The head is decent at first but soon disappears all together. It’s not extremely carbonated but certainly not flat.

Man..this beer is very hoppy. They ain’t kidding when they say “ a huge voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale”

I believe I would call this beer delicious. An excellent pale ale. I could drink a lot of these.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a big, dense, foamy, pale cream colored head that left some solid lacing. Transparent copper colored beer holds streams of lazily rising bubbles. Nice dose of citrus hops in the aroma is on par for the style. There is a faint bit of bready malt in there as well. Solid malt base with dominant hops in the form of grapefruit and sun flowers. Finish is just bitter enough. Mouthfeel is soft, and just a hair on the light side. If you're expecting an IPA you'll be disappointed, but if you're looking for a hoppy pale ale you should be good to go.

P.S. It comes in a can.

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

I'd been seeing the aluminum can sixers of this and Old Chub for a few weeks now, so I finally picked one up. Decided to start with the pale. The can calls it a "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale." Let's hope they're right. It pours smoothly from the wide mouth an unfiltered orange/amber color with lots of visible carbonation leading up to a frothy 2 finger khaki/yellow head that is very sticky and leaves nice lacing throughout. It smells citric (lemon, grapefruit) with pine and some hop oils. The first taste reveals sweet, almost buttery/nutty malts, with caramel, perhaps some earth, and a medium bitterness from the hops which are grapefruit, orange, pine, perhaps soapy, and there's also an apricot quality in there. The body is just right - medium, carbonated, but not overly so, and soooo smooth, even when very cold and drunk straight from the can. On top of that, I'm having grapefruit burps from a CANNED BEER! I can't believe the quality - it tastes so fresh and goes down so easily. This beer screams session ale - I had to struggle to keep a couple to drink the next day. I need more of this stuff - probably gonna go get a case. Wonder if the Old Chub is as good. I guess we'll see...

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Very hoppy aroma fairly blast you with citrus and pine notes. Amber body supports with a lazy white head. Very malty with medium hop presence, less hoppy tasting than it smelled. Bread, caramel, grapefruit, toffee and minor honey notes. The can is just awesome by the way.

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%

Let me start by saying I felt like an asshole approaching the counter with a 6pk of cans, but I had been told by a handful of people that I would have to look past that, and that the contents of the can were fantastic. I'm glad I took the advice. This stuff pours a crystal clear golden orange with a nice looking white foamy head. It hangs around for about 90 seconds then subsides to sticky lace stuck to the sides of the glass and a thing white haze over the surface of the liquid. The smell is sweet and hoppy with a little citrus mixed in there as well. The taste is awsome!! Great hops and a bit of grapefruit. Very "juicy" taste. There is also a dry maltiness on the finish. Very smooth and very easy to drink. Nicely balanced and a big, big surprise out of a can!!!

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

The NY Times made a big deal about the can and how this contributed to the freshness. Indeed, the beer does taste very fresh, like something you'd have at a brewpub. It's nicely hoppy in the nose and on your tongue (or, preferably, my tongue). The citrus-y hops and substantial maltiness would qualify this as an IPA by many standards. It's a beauty, too, bright amber with a frothy 1/2 inch head and loads of lacing. The smell is grassy and herbal. Dale's goes down easily, so much so that some could treat it as a summertime lawn mower beer...but at 6.5%, pay it the respect it's due.

Note: After writing this, I got two more cans and liked it even more. I then bought another two cans, and liked those more. This beer is really growing on me.

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I scanned the can for a hint of a "canned on" date but didn't find much, but hey it's a can right?

It's not a big deal to pour, just have to take it easy to avoid the glug.

Here we go, a body I would say is closer to orange than amber, but not really 100% of either. Small white foamy head that didn't stick around long.

Theres a note of grapefruit in the scent with very very light leafyness.

Boy it goes down smooth, as do most beers after a hard week. Bitterness races through the flavor profile real quick, then it settles to a nice malty balance, and then some bitterness returns for an aftertaste, very interesting.

I could totally session with some of this. Hell, I'm tempted to just guzzle it from the can simply because it's in a can, but I won't.
...Or will I?

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Dale's has become big on the Boston scene all of a sudden so naturally I had to try it out as there are not many decent craft beers avialable in a can.

This one is quite decent--it pours a clear amber. Leaves a small head and minimal lacing. Smell is outdoorsy, piney and woody in general. Taste is well balanced with some maltinesss and a hop bite right off the bat and then a more caramel salt waterish finish. Very smooth and a nice tingly mouthfeel. Drinkability is excellent.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

12oz can purchased from Shoreline poured into a chalice. I dig the can graphics.

The pour shows a shiny orange body. Head is off-white, bubbly - lacing is present but boring on the way down.

To the nose, a silky hop sweetness jumps out. It is a full and rich noseful.

In the mouth, the hop character is overwhelming at first - but then is quickly tempered by layers of maltiness. It is a fairly clean sweetness too - very pleasant on the tongue.

The feel is a little light - carbonation is seemlingly gone but it tastes as it is there. The finish is not quite as satisfying as there is no real winner between the hops and the malts.

Musings: Like everyone - had to try. It's appears to be a little off the mark - but is highly enjoyable for a can. Price point is a little high - if it comes down, I culd be drinking this summer quiite a bit.

So I stop at Canals in NJ and they have a $1/can sale for a pale ale in a can. So I bite - and was I impressed.

A: Can #1 I took to the head, so it wasn't until #2 where I had a glass available. No typical can wh-pish was to be found, so I thought I was in for a flat beer, but poured a nice pale ale deep amber color. Nice.

S: Hoppy, closer to an IPA than a PA, Slight caramel tones - pleasantly suprised.

M: Drank this slowly, as I didn't want to move back to college days and pound the can back. Let the taste stay on my toungue. Nice balance.

T: Flavor that stays with you - nice bitterness, with a slight sweetness.

Let me state this - you will not find a better beer in a can. This will be very close to me as soon as golf season starts back up! Very convenient package. (also can easily be mistaken for a Pepsi can - to keep the golf marshalls at bay!)

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Particulate-choked pumpkin with butternut edges. The initially zesty carbonation settled down within minutes, having created a lovely looking head of pastel orange that looks to be chock full of hop oils. It's melting impossibly slowly and is leaving a nearly completely covered glass in its wake. A truly first-class look.

The nose is absolutely loaded with at least one, and probably a few, of the 4-Cs. Oskar Blues will only admit to 'four kinds of American hops', but there's no doubt that grapefruit peel and oranges are on parade. More specifically, brown sugary, pine sap-dipped, candied grapefruit and orange zest chunks. Many IPAs would be proud to have a nose this hopaliciously good.

Dale's Pale Ale isn't quite as stunning on the palate. I can't say that I've had another beer from a can that tasted as much like the can as this one does. I'm sure these things are lined in this day and age, but there's a definite metallic quality to the flavor that isn't sitting well with me. Thankfully, the metal fades quickly and is all but gone by the third mouthful. In its place is a firmly hoppy pale ale that isn't as brilliant as the nose implied. It's no slouch, but I'm not tempted to reach for any words more complimentary than 'good'.

This is definitely a well-malted APA. There's too much caramel for my tastes, but at least the brewers have seen fit to balance it (some would say overbalance it) with a boatload of hops. Dale's is a larger-than-life pale ale, one of the biggest I've had, but it still doesn't knock Alpha King from its perch. The abundant ingredients result in a long, lingering finish that highlights the clinging resinousness of the hops.

As already alluded to, the mouthfeel is medium-full in general and bursting at the seams for the style. Rarely do pale ales achieve this degree of viscous chewability and mouthcoating stickiness. Carbonation works behind the scenes to lighten things a little and very nearly fails in the attempt.

Before popping the tab, I wondered whether Dale's Pale Ale would supplant my favorite canned beer of all-time, Caldera Pale. Caldera's version is my clear favorite, although from what I remember, the scores are similar. This is an excellent choice (when glass is verboten) for those hopheads lucky enough to have access.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew