Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,907 | Ratings: 7,137
3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A: Poured a hazy amber color with a quickly dissipating off-white head leaving a little bit of lacing.

S: Nose is dominated by citrus with a slight piney scent following.

T: It tastes a bit like a hop-filled pine forest with a little bit of lemon zest thrown in. The hop flavor skews strongly to the bitter end of things, though in a good way.

M: Sticky with a slight lingering bitterness. Probably a little heavier than most APA's I've had, but that just makes it creamier as well.

D: Though the bitterness can be a bit abrasive, I really enjoy this beer and always end up drinking more than I intend...I guess that makes it pretty drinkable!

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

A- very clear light golden amber. Big chunky off white head with loads of lacing. Some bubbles are big some are little.

S- very hoppy, lemon rinds, orange peal, some sugary sweetness too.

T-There is a great malt presence to balance out this highly hopes pale ale.Sugary, nutty and craker like malts, hops are leafy and citrus like.

M- a much heavier mouthfeel than most pale ales, very smooth and creamy meadium mouthfeel.

D- refreshing and drinkable, the sweetness keeps it from getting any higher in this catagory

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: pale orange/copper, slight haze, medium layer of off-white spongey foam, good head retention

Aroma: mandarin marmalade, caramelly malt, cinnamon, woodsy hops

Flavor: medium malt sweetness with a bready note; smooth piney bitterness dries it out quickly leaving hints of raisins, grapefruit rind, and brown sugar; finishes dryish with a lingering bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium body, pert carbonation, smooth texture

Other comments: The best beer I've had from a can! That old stigma can go away now, I think. This is a great beer regardless of its method of conveyance.

3.41/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Pours from the can a nice orange-copper color with 1-2 fingers of head, depending on the vigor of the pour. The head dissipates to a thin layer of fine bubbles that leaves good lacing on the glass.

S: Faint hints of citrus with an undertone of evergreen. No malt notes are present.

T: Smooth taste up front, with all the hops on the back of the tongue. The malt provides a nice counterbalance, but is not noticeable in and of itself.

M: Smooth and easy drinking, not syrupy nor overly thin.

D: A decent all-around pale ale, nothing over the top. A good session ale made more accessible by the cans.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

What a surprise out of a can. Probably the most flavorful beer I have had out of a can.

Pours a nice creamy offwhite head with good lacing. Nice copper orange color.

Smells of sweet citrus and some spicy hops.

Tastes a bit off but lots of flavor here. I think the grain flavor up front is what throws it off. A good hop and sweet malt flavor is in this. The hops throw in a lot of bitterness.
The grianey flavor reduce the score of this beer.

This beer seems wet on the mouth. A bit thin. but nice.

What a surprise out of a can. Recommended.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

A bit of chill-haze to this otherwise perfect looking orange/red body. This head is ample and the lacing is flat-out exceptional.

Mild citrus hops kick-start the aroma only to usurped by bready malt and soft, buttery undertones.

The balance is remarkable and everything a good pale ale should be. Malt is clearly present with a strong dose of caramel on display, but hops accompany more than ably throughout and their floral taste lingers long after the malt has faded. Moderately earthy on the finish.

Although well carbonated, the mouthfeel is a touch thin right in the middle. Hops oils beef up the mouthfeel on the conclusion. All-in-all a very drinkable beer and an excellent entry into the APA family.

3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap into a pint glass, it's a pale reddish color with no carbonation evident in the body. Thin white head leaves a good bit of sticky lacing. Nose is of firm floral and piney hopes without much else in evidence. Tastes of floral hops with a pine bite. Middle-strong and a bit bready. As the beer warms, malt begins to assert itself on the back end, but it's still hop-heavy. Dry finish and lightly bitter end with suggestions of grapefruit. Mouth is crisp with middle-of-the-road carbonation that could stand to add a bit more edge. Low viscosity is complementary to the flavor, but overall nothing too impressive about the feel. Drinkability is good but not stellar; it's balanced and sessionable but not excessively so.

Overall: Nothing to get excited about; a competent pale ale with good flavor but hardly exemplary.

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Thanks to smellysell for the can.

Pours a bright orange with a fluffy off-white two finger head. The foam settles very slowly to a soapy cap, leaving behind a thin webbing of lace.

Smell; mild tropical fruits aroma, with fresh pine sap. Some caramel malts and biscuits are present as well.

Taste; initially piney hops dominate, with a touch of citrus. As this warms the malts really take over, with a mildly off-putting graininess, and a fairly strong diacetyl presence. By far my least favorite OB beer so far. Don't really know how fresh this can is, as there's no canned on or best by date.

Update: 15 Jun 08. Have had a couple more cans while and they have all had a buttery (diacetyl) flavor that I do not like. I know for sure that these cans are pretty fresh.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a straight pint. Dale's pours a hazy, yellow-ish orange color with a nice white head that hands out for a while. Nice citrusy hop aroma. Very floral and sweet smelling. Obviously hops are up front. It tastes extremely well-balanced. Nice floral hop palate, but not overwhelming. The malts match the hops very well in this APA, eventhough it tastes more like an IPA. Nice mouthfeel. Not too complex on the palate, great carbonation level. Very enjoyable pale ale, one of my favorites.

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

a: Orange/gold body, thick head fades swiftly.

s: A nice nose with notes of grapefruit, orange, and pine. Smells like an IPA.

t: Caramel malt with piney, citrus hops. A good taste, but it doesn't live up to the nose. Even though I poured this into a glass, I still detect some metallic taste, no doubt due to the can it came in. Not too bad, but it is noticeable.

m: Medium body with the resiny chew typically reserved for an IPA.

d: Good stuff. The hops say IPA, the ease with which it is consumed screams APA. In any case, it is a good beer and I am very fortunate to be able to get it only 1/2 block away.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz can poured into a Fat Tire pint

Not gonna lie, I am equally parts anxious and skeptical to try this beer. Was able to wrangle this can last week at the Philly Beer fest.

Pours a perfect orange amber with a big pillowy bone white head. Great staying power and beautiful sticky lacing. So far, so good.

Smells of sweet toasted malts balanced perfectly with flowery citrus hops. Primarily grapefruit.

Huh. Not as big and bold as I would have thought based off of the bragging on the can and the smell, but still pretty bold for an APA. Sweet yet grapefruity body. Well-balanced.

The mouthfeel is light and smooth. It was in and down before I knew it. Which leads to a sneaky good drinkability.

Well, this beer lived up to all of the good things I have heard about it. Don't let the red, white, and blue cola can fool you. This is a solid beer.

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%

From the outstanding reviews I was set to be impressed. I guess I just don't get it - the only thing I can say about this beer is that is odd.

Poured from a can into a Troeg's pint glass. Small one finger head leaves minimal lacing - not bad looking, just average.

Smell is average hops and some malty sweetness in the backround.

Taste is where this beer crashes and burns. Leaves an odd and decidedly unpleasant aftertaste that lingers.

Mouthfeel is average and oily - a little dry and bitter on the finish.
Drinkability for me is not an issue. Finishing one of these is more than I can handle.

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Copper / amber with a lot of head

S: The hops are apparent as soon as you crack the can. This is one good smellin' brewski.

T: A textbook APA with a little more hops than most. A nice hop finish after the first wave. The malt provides a nice backbone, but to be honest, I would add a little more if this were me brewing it.

MF: Good mouthfeel. Just what it needs to be. Substantial, but not chewy.

D: I could have a few of these, though APAs don't go down as well as other styles for me.

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer poured clear, coppery amber with a rich off-white head that faded but left generous lacing. An appealing beer. The can is a blast - I rarely buy cans anymore. Please remember to recycle these cans, there's a lot of electricity that goes into making them and a lot that can be saved by recycling them.

BIG nose, shouts citrus hops, mostly grapefruit, some pine. Hearty and encouraging, very inviting.

Taste follows smell, but the hoppiness is crisp, there's good biscuity malt presence, some good balancing sweetness. The flavors blend nicely on the mid-palate, and it has a good long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is rich and medium bodied, plus a little, a little creamy. Agressive carbonation, and slightly spicy.

Drinkability is where this brew shines. A very upbeat, easy to take, IPA, quite flavorful. Overall a fine delightful ale, just the thing for taking to the pool where no glass is allowed. And I will be enjoying a fine beer instead of the very ordinary beer that usually comes in cans. I'll be getting more sixers of this! Recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

After some great advice from fellow BA's, I've been wanting to overcome my fear of cans. Always been of the impression that bottled beer gives off a bit more premium feel and a better taste. But I've been assured that's not true and Oskar Blues seemed like the best place to test the theory.

Appearance - Wonderful orange tinted color with a plump white head that was there for the duration.

Smell - Extremely robust citrus fruity and spiced aroma, this really got my pumped.

Taste - Very potent flavor for a PA, which pleased my palate. Pretty even balance with the strong orange, malty flavor being slightly edged out by the serious hops. Excellent stuff.

Mouthfeel - Very thick texture full of malty goodness and the bitter hops left an excellent aftertaste.

Drinkability - I'm officially cool with beers in cans and I'm pretty sure this is going to kick off a trend (cheaper prices and easier storage are bonuses), so Sly Fox here I come! Oskar Blues also made a great impression and I can forsee Ten Tidy in the future. This is an excellent APA and one you should definetly check out if you get the chance.

2.46/5  rDev -37.4%

Much sweeter than I had expected, but not bad in general. Lots of fruit flavors.. apricot, peach, and a touch of honey. Didn't detect much hops.. not exactly a well-balanced beer. One that I enjoyed to try, but I didn't have more than one. Not a terrible beer, but I'm not sure that I would recommend this beer to anyone.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Wow, good beer from a can! I was drawn to this pale ale in a can on my last trip to Colorado. The smell from the can is just great, I love a nice bold flavored pale ale. Hops are a big factor in this one. I fell so deeply in love with Dale's that my friends and I took a trip out to Oskar Blues to see how things were run. Have to say that they do have a few good beers, but Dale's has to be the best. Will likely hunt down Dale's in every beer store I go to. Too bad it's not in the Chicago land area...

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

My first OB beer! Obtained in a trade with jjayjaye, 12oz can poured into a Sam Adams specialty glass

Appearance is burningly bright orange with amber highlights, thin white lacing of head is minimal, fair lacing on the glass

Smell is moderate pine and citrus hops with sweet caramel/pale malts in the background, nice presence for a pale ale

Taste is a nice mix of lighter caramel sweetened malts and more of a pine resin hops, some floral and orange tones pop up in the middle, finishes mildly bitter with biscuit malts

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth and thick texture adds more heft than most pales, mild carbonation

Drinkability is high, a bold and nicely hopped pale ale with great malt presence and balance, the alcohol is non-descript and there is enough here to keep drinking all night long, i'm glad i have a second Dale's but wish i had easier access to OB here in San Diego. Oh well, maybe sometime in the future. . .

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to DrBayern for this lovely can - Rich thick, orangish amber color with a good sized offwhite head and plenty of lacing. Nice caramel sweetness and pleasant hops aroma to it with a well hopped and richly flavored taste as well. Very appealing full mouthfeel, great balance, and the 6.5% is hidden well. Best beer I've had in a can by far, and I'd definitely recommend this one.

Pours a coppery amber with a half inch creamy head that fades quickly to a surface froth leaving some sticky lacing.

Smell is strong initially of fresh fresh hops,a touch of citrus, a malty sweetness with butterscotch.

Biscuity malt overlayed with caramel and butterscotch are the initial flavors with an equally strong fresh hop bitter finish. Seems nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium, creamy and a bit oily and the carbonation is fine, perhaps a bit on the light side.

A very drinkable, and flavorful beer, unexpected to me as it's from a can but there is obviously some advantages to the fully sealed container. Recomended and a nice change from the other pale ales I've been drinking.

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

My pour resulted in a finger's worth of thick, deep-tan head with good retention. The nose was lightly hoppy with a definite pine scent. The color was a beautiful deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was thin-to medium with a tasty hops tang in the mouth. The finish was where the pine taste that I noted on the nose really asserted itself. There was also a gritty feeling in my mouth after the swallow, which I will attribute to the drying quality of the hops. It was not unpleasant, but it was notable. This was the first of their four canned products that I have tried, so I wish to reserve judgment on drinkability for an update once I have tried them all. As a pale ale, it was pretty average.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Recently purchased a six of this much hyped brew. Needless to say I expected more.

I realize canned beer is no longer an issue of concern for many given the inner construction which prevents any influence from the aluminum container, but still rightly or wrongly it cheapens the beer, particularly if it's not bud or pbr or of a similiar ilk. That being said, I'd be the first to suck down either one on a hot summer day, but if I'm looking for something more, a can is not the first thing I'd look for at me local packy. I suppose if the product were better, my mind could be changed. That did not happen in this tasting.

The appearance was copper with a yellowish hue. A thin one finger head, quite bubbly and active when swirled.

Not much going on in the nose of this one. I let it warm a tad in my new-design Sam Adams glass and noted some pineniness but that's about it.

Unusually aggressive hoppiness for a pale ale. Piney aftertaste and something else I can't put my finger on. An odd flavor.

Mouthfeel was light, somewhat biscuity and...average.

I think ol Oskar is getting way too much props for a beer that is too heavy on the hops for the style and unremarkable in taste. I'll give it another shot one day, but won't go out of my way to spend the sheckles on this offering.

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

12 oz can copped singly from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield.. Top of the can boasts that this is "A huge voluminously hopped mutha of a Pale Ale"... heard a lot about this brew, and with all the hype, I must agree that this is certainly a solid sample and an excellent depiction of the style... Pours a copper, amber, golden hue with minimal frothy head that dissipated after a minute or so... smell was complete with hop-like aromas - bursting through, very fresh, crisp, clean, and clear... I must say that this is a very drinkable brew... with the relatively modest ABV of 6.5% combined with its ultra-fresh and refreshing flavor, this is quite a depiction of an American Pale Ale... good, creamy mouthfeel combined with a hopped, vanilla, and bittersweet taste leads to a great brew... My first sample from Oskar Blues and I was pretty impressed with this one... the aftertaste is bursting with citrus, lemon, and fresh florals... goes down as easily as water... Definitely recommended...

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Appearance: A lighter amber orange color with a billowing head with the right pour into a pint glass. Much left over as far as lacing goes, almost staining the glass at least with the initial pour.

Smell: There does seem to be a lot of hops in this sucker, as it's reminiscent to me more of an IPA. Nothing too nuanced, but balanced, with both the fruitier side and citrus side of the hops coming out.

Taste: By the far the best thing about this brew is the long and involved finish, a mix between sour cherries, sweet orange, and mild grapefruit, all lingering and long. With that are earthy flavors and sweet toffee. Finds the balance between complex and extremely flavorful very well.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good crispness and a nice kick of carbonation at the end, leaving the long hoppy and lingering finish to do its thing.

Drinkability: I've heard a lot of non-craft and micro drinkers praising this, along with folks who are also BMC drinkers, and everyone's told me to try it. It's been years, and this is my first one. Thankfully, I can say that both were right, and I'm glad it's so readily available. The fact that a brew this good is in a can and does come from a can truly makes me think a lot of other breweries could pull this off, but I'm not sure why they don't try. I wish I could try the Ten Fidy, so let many of us hope it gets a higher distro rate in the future, if they keep making it that is. Next it's onto Old Chub for me, as I imagine, or hope at least, that it's as worthy as this brew.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

This beer pours an orange-amber color with a thick tan head with some decent lacing down the glass. It smells of medium roasted malts and some citrisy hops. The taste is just that. It starts with a nice roasted malt taste and then finishes with the citrisy and floral hops. The balance of those flavors is pretty good but not the best I've had. The mouthfeel is ok. Not as carbonated as I would have liked, but it was fairly smooth. The drinkability is pretty good as it is a decent beer and I could drink a few of these. The one great thing about it is that it tastes fresh from the can.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew