Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,914 | Ratings: 7,175

Canned on 5/20/11

Not gonna lie, I drank it right from the can, so I'm going out on a limb and assuming that it looks like an APA should look.

Smells like citrusy hops. A little caramel maybe.

Tastes hoppier than I was expecting. Borderline IPA? Very citrusy and good bitterness.

Light to medium bodied, not overly carbed. It didn't explode all over me when I cracked the can.

Overall, it's pretty good. Better than I was expecting. Will definitely be picking up more of these in the future.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

i've heard things, and now that i've had dale's i need to stop saying things like "i will never pour a beverage from a can into a glass", which s something i have found myself saying periodically

it's a more-robust-than-normal APA with plenty of malt flavor. biscuity and toasty up front with plenty of NW hops

it's a handsome beverage: crystal-clear amber with outstanding lacing. from the decent head comes an aroma to match (or perhaps preview) the fine flavors

my only complaint is that it seems a little stickybrownsugary, but that could be a hop byproduct, as well

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light orange hue with a bit of haze to the body. Head is two fingers of creamy rich ivory foam. I rather like it.

Smell: rich citrus hop aroma with a nice piney back. I dig the aroma of this beer a great deal.

Taste: light yet rich malt backbone; hard to describe but very tasty. On top of this is a rich, citrusy and floral hop character; the sweetness makes this taste kind of like candy. I really love this beer; what can I say, this stuff is great!

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with an OK level of carbonation. It's passable but not super interesting. Probably my least favorite thing about this beer.

Drinkability: super tasty and enjoyable. Man, I could drink this beer all the time. There are few pale ales I enjoy this much ... other pales pale before Dale's!

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a fresh can purchased today at Argonaut in Denver, CO.

A: Pours a beautiful clear yellow copper with a two finger off white head. Head retention is decent, eventually fading into frothy lacing that clings to the glass in beautiful rings.

S: A strong aroma of hop oils with some pine, floral, and citrus notes.

T: Hits the tongue with a lemon/grapefruit citrus. Finishes clean with minimal alcohol notes and a nice bready malt. Lingering bitterness is mild and pleasant; a combination of rye and pine.

M: Crisp, clean, and drinkable. Just enough carbonation to foam slightly as it goes down. A filling yet highly drinkable beer.

O: I love this beer. While it may not be as tasty as Heady Topper or even some other Colorado IPAs (I consider this an IPA, sorry, BA), it's a phenomenal beer. And - a point that the BA rating system does not let me make - it's in a can. This makes it the perfect beer for the adventurous Coloradan, as well as the perfect go-to.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Medium amber with a nice two-finger head that leaves lots of lacing. The can sure makes for an easy pour.

S: Citrusy hops and caramel-honey malts together in perfect harmony.

T: Big rush of grapefruity hops in the front and bitterness in the back. In the middle, the biscuity honeyish malts make their presence known. Again, excellent balance.

M: Medium thickness, a bit syrupy.

D: More of an IPA than a pale ale, and definitely one of the better ones. I'd put it in the same league as Two Hearted and Racer 5. I guess I'll have to revise my review of Ten Fidy, because this is the best beer in a can I've ever had.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Oskar Blues Dales Pale is a great tasting beer for sure. This one has been reviewed almost 2000 times , so there is nothing new I can add to the mix. This is one of my all time favorite "go to " crushable beers. In fact , I would say, that this is one of the classic craft beers and could find its way on to the Mount Rushmore of craft beer. Great taste. Great smell. Wont disappoint !

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance- A golden brown beer with slight to moderate carbonation, very nice look on the head on the pour,

Smell- Lots of nice hops just jumping out at you off the nose, lots of citrus and bitter hop aromas, good smell gets you looking forward to first sip

Taste- Very tasty brew that is very very hoppy, lots of good hops in this one making it a very tasty beer with a great finish, full bodied and full flavored didnt disappoint at all,

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with moderate carbonation, nice smooth mouth feel

Drinkability- Very drinkable beer and tasty hop heavy brewski, more hops then even expected in a lot of pale ales, easily could be thought or considered an Ipa, this was my first time trying it I really did like it one I will surely visit again see if its as good as i thought on first try, could be my go to can beer in the summer when planning an outdoor day, worth a try from a good brewery

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a murky gold with two fingers of head leaving a bald-spot less crown. Carbonation is moderately active. It is really agressive as far as coating the glass.

Smells very fruity/citrusy, not in the tropical sense like say a Pliny, but the hops definitely jump out at you. A hint of malt is there but you really have to search for it to pick it out.

Taste starts off sweet and then gets more hoppy as it goes down, but never so much that I would call it a bomb. Actually fairly complex for it's style as the taste just keeps changing throughout the sip. I've gone from smooth to bitter to sweet and back again. Very nice.

Mouth is good, med body and the medium end of low carbonation. I prefer this to the thin body higher carb tendencies of pale ales, although that works great in some beers, I think they found a great combination here.

This is a great APA for a great price from a great brewery.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Best beer in a can anywhere!

Why don't more brewers use cans? They are selling the hell out of this beer.

Pours a nice golden orange, a little cloudy, usually, but ok.

Wonderful hop aroma with some bready and caramel notes in the back.

A great APA-EPA beer. I think it is a more integrated grain bill like an English but using American hops.

Buy it whenver you can, give it away, don't let them go out of business.

A Backpackers Beer!

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a nice copper color with a one and a half finger head. The nose is mostly orange citrus with tropical notes. There's a good presence of caramel malt too. The flavor is nice. Very big malt presence, but it's balanced with strong hops. There is something peppery and a strong taffy flavor. Balance is the name of the game. Nice, thick mouthfeel. I could drink this all day.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance - Pours an amber/copper with a 1" head. Retention is very good. Lacing is very good.

Smell - Hops, hops, and more hops. Deep fruity, spicy, hop tones dominate with just a touch of sweet malt in the background.

Taste - Grapefruit lends way to a malty middle, which in turn, gives ground to a lingering hop bite.

Mouthfeel - Thick and creamy with little or no cloying aspects.

Drinkability - Smooth and easy, this is best enjoyed with friends on a slow all night drink, and bullshitathon.

Overall - This was one of my first hoppy beers several years ago. I fell in love with hops and havn't looked back. Still one of my favorites.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

On tap at Toro Burger Bar in El Paso, TX.

The tap handle looks like a can of the beer--pretty cool. Served in a pint glass. There are two fingers of white head with light lacing. The beer is a nice, clear amber with gold highlights. Light carbonation is visible.

Hoppy nose, definitely includes Cascades, light biscuit and citrus. Taste has a good helping of hop resins up front, with light biscuit and caramel flavors to follow. The finish is dry and hoppy.

I was surprised to see this guy on tap in a city that's not very micro-friendly. Would like to have on-tap and from-can side by side.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- pours an amber-orange color, silty hazy with a medium cream colored head that reduces to a thin layer skimming the top.

S- sweet, bready and buttery malt with some toffee. Citrus and floral hops, quite complex for an APA.

T- sweet doughy malt with some caramel notes, fruity esters with some floral hops on the linger, the finish is somewhat dry and provides a toasted malt finish

M- medium body, moderate carbonation with a velvety mouthfeel and creamy finish. High drinkability.

O- for the style, this is superb. Well balanced and very easy drinking, really like the maltiness of this one.

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz can, served in a pint glass.

A - excellent looking brew, cloudy amber color with an incredible tan head that lasted through the entire glass leaving great sticky lacing.

S - sweet citrus/hop aroma.

T - WOW, this is a damn good beer! Sweet malty flavor, crisp hoppy finish.

M - medium bodied, mild carbonation.

D - good drinkability but watch the abv, it will sneak up on you.

Final Notes : This is a delicious beer in a can.
Great Job Oskar Blues!

4.26/5  rDev +8.4%

A - realitively clear amber orange, small quickly disappearing head, with some slight lacing

S - Tropical Citrus balanced with equal amounts of Piney aroma...I love that Pine aroma in my pale ales/IPAs!

T - Great taste - excellene hop utilization - the flavors they have extracted are great! So tasty I almost finished the whole glass before I started my review!

M - Excellent carbonation Medium-Light body...but definitely on the medium end...bigger than a typical Pale Ale.

Although i would probably lump this into the IPA category...it is a great brew...the lines of the "pale ale" are so blurry these days that we should either generically call all pale ales, IPAs, IIPAs "Pale Ales" or come up with some new styles : )

Enjoy some Dales Pale Ale - one of my favorite canned offerings as of late...

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

A: a crystal clear bright orange, one finger head bubbles away to thin wisps at the edges with some pretty respectable lacing.

S: hops, malt and yeast, in prodigious quantities. Nice phenols and esthers, strong and sour, but still easy on the schnoz.

T: piney, bitter hops coat the mouth, almost numbing the tongue. This is quickly followed by sickly sweet malt, dry warming alcohol warms the throat on the finish.

M: medium bodied, a little on the syrupy side (but in a great way), mild carbonation.

D: one of the most sessionable beers around. Great balance, hopped to perfection, nothing showy or flashy just straight up good.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Wow, good beer from a can! I was drawn to this pale ale in a can on my last trip to Colorado. The smell from the can is just great, I love a nice bold flavored pale ale. Hops are a big factor in this one. I fell so deeply in love with Dale's that my friends and I took a trip out to Oskar Blues to see how things were run. Have to say that they do have a few good beers, but Dale's has to be the best. Will likely hunt down Dale's in every beer store I go to. Too bad it's not in the Chicago land area...

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer has been on my list to try for a while. Available everywhere and good reviews from people I know. Pours a slightly hazy light copper color with a medium size white head. Head retention is just average and there is delicate patches of lacing on the glass.

Good solid floral and piney hops aroma. Better smell than a number of IPAs I have tried.

Tastes very good. Right on the line between a Pale Ale and an IPA. Good solid pine hops and floral hops with some balancing bready malts. Hops win out here but this is a very drinkable hoppy beer, not a hop bomb. One of the better Pale Ales out there.

Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, carbonation is just right. No alcohol presence.

Drinkability is very good. Cans make it more portable than many good craft beers. This one is a winner.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

One of the best beers I have had in a can. For the record I am a big hophead. Very reasonable price for a great beer. Citrus, sticky, piney hop notes on the first sip of the hazy orange small headed pour. Great chilled for about a half hour in the fridge, nice drinkable nature, not to harsh able to have a good session.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

This is one of the only brews I've seen and had I tap that's is mainly distributed by can.

pours hazey clear orange with slight lacing throughout the glass.

the smell is a complex mix of hops.

However the tatse is amazing. For a pale ale the taste is really un matched and certainly this stands as king of caned pale ales. Rush of hops with a clean finish leaving purley hop tatse on the pallet.

I highly recommend this ale for any occasion.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Third beer I have had from the Oskar Blues crew and all I can say is WOW! I love this beer.

A- Pours a golden color with a hint of orange, nice thick head that leaves a very thin sheet of lacing on the glass.

S- I love this smell hoppy with more hops on top of hops. What a smell, not a pale ale at all, IPA all the way and one that smells amazing.

T- hops hit first, bitter and fruity, grapefruit with citrus and a dash of pine. Nice malt in the background as well, I am loving this beer!

M- Smooth and silky, very drinkable. I had a sixer of this and Old Chub on the Guadalupe and they were amazing!

D- perfect for the hot humid Houston summer. Taste great by the pool or on the river. The lower ABV makes this a great session for the summer heat.

Dale's is by far my favorite from Oskar Blues it is a IPA, not a pale ale, but that is ok by me. I prefer an IPA over a pale, and this one kicks ass!

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Like so many others I was once ashamed to admit that I like it in the can, my beer, that is. That was before I discovered what Oskar was up to, my poopshoot is exit only, but I digress.
Poured from can to SA pint a cloudy apricot with an inch of white foam head that reduces to heavy clinging lace and a "Charlie" sheen. I had to play "Beercan" by Beck just because. Smells like a hoppy delicious treat, sweet and piney like a great IPA. Taste is right along the same track, is labeled as a Pale Ale, but tastes like IPA(maybe they have something against the Indians, but more likely want to claim this taste for themselves). Easy drinking great feel with big flavor and no lingering bitterness. this is a gem that I buy whenever I have extra cash to spend. It ain't yo Daddy's can o beer, flavorwise or at the cash register. The price is usually a bit steep, but this one is worth it.
"Just shake your boots and let it all get loose!"

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

P: Presented in a 12 oz., red, white, blue and silver can featuring the foothills of the Rockies. Back of can describes said contents as "A Huge Voluminously Hopped Mutha of a Pale Ale." Well, alrighty then.

A: Pours a pale copper color with a thin, off-white head that yields ample spots of frothy lacing.

S: Aromas of sweet caramel malts, brown sugar, toffee and candied pineapple, followed by pine needles and hints of cinnamon bread.

T: Opens with sweet caramel malts, followed closely by a bitter blast of hops that recedes to flavors of citrus fruit. Notes of grapefruit rind, pineapple, brown sugar and cinnamon. Finishes dry and somewhat bitter. Deftly balanced with a taste profile that is full and robust. Imagine that: an American Pale Ale with both character and soul.

M: Light to medium-bodied with an exceedingly smooth mouthfeel. Waves of clingy, resinous hop oil continuously coat the tongue.

D: Highly sessionable.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from 12oz can into a clear pint glass. Single purchased from Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $1.65.

A: Crystal clear amber-orange with 1-finger off-white foamy head that retains well and leaves an impressive display of lacing down the whole glass.

S: Smptuous aromas of pineapple, grapefruit, orange rind, and pine with faint backing of biscuity caramel malt.

T: A very good APA although a slight metallic hint damages the first few swigs. Following this initial flaw, Dale's delivers huge hops flavors of grapefruit, orange, and pine resins with impressive caramel and pale malt backing. No doubt that the Oskar's Blue's crew cuts no corners in producing a first-rate beer.

M: Mouthfeel is full with medium body and fairly active carbonation for the style which works well in leaving a clean finish. Aftertaste is more of the lovely orange caramel flavor.

D: Other than the faint metallics in the initial sips, this is a fine APA that challenges the best of the bunch due to its careful crafting with no compromises on the amounts of hops and malts included in this wonderful brew.

12oz can into a pint glass. Canned on 11-18-08

A: Orangish amber in color with a thin off white head. A few carbonation bubbles coming up, lacing is excellent.

S: Citrusy and a little piny on the nose. I also detect some bread dough coming through.

T: Quite hoppy for a Pale Ale, but the malt is here too. The hop bitterness hangs around a bit, but no alcohol detected. All in all very tasty.

M: Quite oily and a litle thick for a Pale Ale, but good overall

D: I would rate the drinkability pretty high on this one, even with the 6.5 ABV.

Overall this is a fine beer. I would lean a little more towards the IPA side than Pale Ale side, but for me that doesn't hurt a thing.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew