Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Ratings: 7,350 |  Reviews: 1,955
1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.76/5  rDev -55.1%

Tried a six-pack on my son's recommendation, against my better judgement. This is a very bitter, metallic-tasting brew. There are strong hints of pine, and frankly my first instinct was to spit our the first sip. This is typically a very high priced beer, although I found it at my grocery store substantially discounted.

1.8/5  rDev -54.1%

I recently moved to a new place and as a gift I got an Oskar Blues variety pack from a friend. This included the Dale's Pale Ale, Mammas Little Yella Pills and Old Chub Scotch Ale. The latter two were semi-OK, but the Dale's Pale was so terrible that it not only compelled me to search for reviews to see what other people had to say about it, but also to create an account here to write a review.

It smells like any other normal beer, but the taste is so terrible.... almost like it has a vicious, metallic bite to it. Very, very hard to go down. Would not buy for myself. Would not recommend to friends. Just... just don't.

1.92/5  rDev -51%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Look - Poured a copper/amber color, two fingers of white head, minimal lacing.
Aroma - Tangerine, floral, ethanol.
Taste - Bitter up front, hops lean more towards citrus like the aroma, orange, vegetal note, alcohol is noticeable from start to finish, malt is thin and has a vague sweetness. The aftertaste is soapy, bitter and boozy.
Feel - Light-medium body, watery, ample carbonation.

Overall - I remember trying this a few years back and thinking I got an infected can. I guess not. This tastes exactly the same as it did back then. The solvent-like bitterness with the noticeable alcohol makes this one of the worst beers I've had. It really reminds me of a bad homebrew IPA mixed with paint thinner. A fluke from an otherwise great brewery.

1.95/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.06/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.07/5  rDev -47.2%

A - This was by far the most impressive part of the brew. Poured a medium brown like an apple cider. Excellent frothy fluffy head with spider lacing down the glass.

S - Nice floral hops caramel malts but what really threw me was the rubber tire taste that trailed in at the end.

T - Floral hops that finished heavily bitter, almost too bitter. As in the smell the rubber tires came in at the end, pretty bad and unfortunately turns the whole taste of the aspect to a downward spiral.

M - Little carbonation with a slick mouthfeel.

D - Steer clear of this dangerous brew. Hops are too overpowering that lead to a super bitter aftertaste and something else if off from this brew. Avoid please.

2.11/5  rDev -46.2%

I thought it tasted funky. Smelled like ragweed and Christmas tree combined. Definitely would not drink again.

2.12/5  rDev -45.9%

pours a clean amber from a 12oz can to a pint glass. smells hoppy with notes of vanilla and pale malt.very laced with light carbonation. taste is malt with hints of vanilla in the mix with a hoppy bite. a creamy vanilla hopped up weirdness. Seems lightly carbonated. this is a weird tasting brew. It has some weird vanilla taste to it that makes me not want to taste it anymore. I can't see drinking more than one of these. BLEEEGH I don't like it. Sorry.

2.13/5  rDev -45.7%

Really? The cans I bought were canned on May 1st 2012, according to the bottom of the can. I had high hopes for this brew after reading favorable reviews here on BA, but either I got a bad batch or this just doesn't float my boat, lol!

I poured the first can into an ice cold pint glass. It looked great! I smelled it and detected a bit of hops, so I was stoked, cuz I'm a hops head. Well, ugh, the first taste was bitter, chewy & lingering.

Come on, this has to be a poor sample, right?

Nevertheless, I had another and I'm sorry to say, that after just a few gulps, I poured it in my drain and grabbed a Hop Knot.

If someone else buys, I might try a third, but I'd prefer an adjunct lager over this slosh.

2.19/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

04/22/15
Aroma is grass, hay, grains, vegetable, light hops. Taste is grass, pine, plus a dry Ashy Aftertaste. Appearance: slightly more color than a typical yellow pale ale, above average white head. Medium carbonation. Not sure why this gets such high marks. It seems very pedestrian to me. Not even pedestrian....like a pedestrian with a limp."

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

Similiar to Jeppson's Malört... The aftertaste of Dale's Pale Ale tastes like an abortion clinic in Iceland. The charcoal filtered flavor makes you feel like you're being picked on in fifth grade. Malört actually tastes better.

2.24/5  rDev -42.9%