Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,900 | Ratings: 7,112

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared slightly hazy copper & basically kluged like oil out of the can. Lite carbonation can be seen, and produced a 1 finger head with only slightly under par retention. Lacing was minimal & not worth a mention. Smelled of bright citrus fruity aromas, lots of pineapple, grapefruit, grape, and dates. Following is mild spice & pine notes, very bright on the citrus/fruitiness overall and I couldn't really detect much malts.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of semi bright citrus/fruity notes, grapefruit, pineapple, raisin, grape, and following is lots of spicy, pine notes. Good amount of burnt like hop bitterness throughout, and it even lingers as well, as it warms a bit of alcohol becomes pronounced as well as burnt sugary, caramel like flavors. Mouthfeel was oily & thick, a bit chewy and full-medium bodied. Needed more of an active feel to it.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well guys I got an old one, I mean really old, the date was 08/08/08, and yet despite that, it was still pretty good, I wouldn't mind having 3 pints of this delicious brew, fresh of course. Ive had this once before and I can tell you that it was much brighter, much fresher, oh and you know that carbonation I said it needed? Well it was there when I had it a while ago, I don't remember it being so thick & oily either, still with the grade I'm giving it really says something. I recommend you read other reviews & not just mine though.

NOTE! Will have to come back with a fresher review.

3.01/5  rDev -23.4%

I was so excited to find a six pack of this at Wegman's in Lakewood, NY 8 29 09 after having Ten Fidy and loving it. Consumed at my brother's house near Chautaqua Institute just down the road. Six pack was priced at just under $10. I tried Old Chub just before trying this one.

A Translucent caramel body under a 2 inch huge head. Both body and head appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Grapefruit bitter hops, moderate, edging on severe. Boring. 3.0

T Typical IPA. Hops, hops, distant malt. Too unbalanced and, well, boring. 3.0

M Smooth (which is appreciated) but the bitter grapefruit hops ruin any benefit that the smoothenss may have brought. 3.5

D One and done for more. This is not my favorite style since I think, as a style, it is unbalanced and, therefore, boring. I never liked grapefruit and I do not like that taste in a beer either. 2.5

Notes: This is by far the hoppiest beer that I have ever seen in a can and if you like hops then you will appreciate this one more than I do.

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%

From the outstanding reviews I was set to be impressed. I guess I just don't get it - the only thing I can say about this beer is that is odd.

Poured from a can into a Troeg's pint glass. Small one finger head leaves minimal lacing - not bad looking, just average.

Smell is average hops and some malty sweetness in the backround.

Taste is where this beer crashes and burns. Leaves an odd and decidedly unpleasant aftertaste that lingers.

Mouthfeel is average and oily - a little dry and bitter on the finish.
Drinkability for me is not an issue. Finishing one of these is more than I can handle.

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The appearance was an amber/gold with a lot of bubbles with a foamy head when poured. The smell definitely had some hops to it and smelled of citrus with a touch of pine. The taste overall was OK to me it had a very strong hop taste so it was a little overwhelming to me.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: big 1/2 inch head, clear amber with medium carbonation

Smell:hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Taste: hops, grapefruit, pine, and a bit of malt

Mouthfeel: starts with a tad of sweetness, and has a strong hoppy finish--dry with a medium body

Drinkability: To me, this is an average American Pale, nothing more. A little on the hoppy side. Nothing I wouldn't have again, nothing i will go out of my way for.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

A- brownish with a serious white head and leaves some lacing

S- Some piney citrus hops, not as much hop in the nose as other pale ales I've had

T- Some sweet maltiness up front turning into the hoppy bitterness quite quickly. Nothing real special here.

M- Light bodied and some crispiness from the carbonation coupled with that hoppiness

D- Nothing offensive but nbot much reason to return in my opinion other than the can factor.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

good lookin pale ale. gorgeous head with good lacing. somewhat orange looking to me.

smells very sweet up front. alot more crystal malts than a normal pale ale. hops come in after the sweet malt with pine and citrus. leaning more towards the pine.

too sweet for a pale ale. the hops are trying to balance it out, but this one is leaning towards the sweet malts.

heavy mouthfeel. just doesn't fit the style very well. i could drink this, its just not that great.

good beer, just doesn't fit the style very well.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy pale burnt orange color with a thin wisp of a white head. It dissipated immediately and left barely any lacing.
The smell had a sweet caramel maltiness up front coming across somewhat like a biscuity to bready tone. Light citrus graces the undercarriage of the aroma.
The taste carries the malts again up front in a sweet sort of way. Light citrusy hops play with a side score of bitterness. The aftertaste is manageably sweet. Lingering dry yet somewhat refreshing finish.
The mouthfeel was light bodied with a crisp sweet malty sessionability about it. Carbonation seems to hit right on my tongue for an APA.
Overall, what's all the hubbub about other than just another malty crushable can good for sippin' in the deer stand or fishin' off the lake. Personally, though, I'd go after other cans of APA to deal with my other activities, just me, perhaps.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

What a surprise out of a can. Probably the most flavorful beer I have had out of a can.

Pours a nice creamy offwhite head with good lacing. Nice copper orange color.

Smells of sweet citrus and some spicy hops.

Tastes a bit off but lots of flavor here. I think the grain flavor up front is what throws it off. A good hop and sweet malt flavor is in this. The hops throw in a lot of bitterness.
The grianey flavor reduce the score of this beer.

This beer seems wet on the mouth. A bit thin. but nice.

What a surprise out of a can. Recommended.

3.05/5  rDev -22.4%

I have some friends that rave about this beer, so I thought I'd finally give it a shot. 6-pack was about $9.50 but the store is on the pricey side (Bud Light 6-pack of cans was $6.00).

Anyway, the beer is way too hoppy for my liking. It should be labeled as "Dale's IPA".

I wouldn't buy it again and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't specifically looking for an IPA.

Cheers,
m

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

My pour resulted in a finger's worth of thick, deep-tan head with good retention. The nose was lightly hoppy with a definite pine scent. The color was a beautiful deep amber with NE-quality clarity. The mouthfeel was thin-to medium with a tasty hops tang in the mouth. The finish was where the pine taste that I noted on the nose really asserted itself. There was also a gritty feeling in my mouth after the swallow, which I will attribute to the drying quality of the hops. It was not unpleasant, but it was notable. This was the first of their four canned products that I have tried, so I wish to reserve judgment on drinkability for an update once I have tried them all. As a pale ale, it was pretty average.

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

The Dale's Pale Ale pours amber looking haze with a small head. Not much carbonation which is pretty normal for the style. Not much in the way of nose, even as it warms up. It tastes more like an English Pale Ale than an American. Not much in the way of hoppiness. Mouthfeel is fairly thin and goes down easy. Middle of the road pale for me.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a can.

A: Poured aggressively, resulting in a thick two finger head which lingered for a few minutes and eventually dissipated. Has a light copper look, nice carbonation bubbles.

S: lighter aroma, fairly hop-forward with citrus overtones.

T: Matches the aroma; hop-forward, orange-rind flavors with a hint of honey from the malt.

M: Very smooth, oily finish. Goes down easily.

O: Overall, this beer is good but not great. I had it recommended to me several times, so perhaps it was built up too much by the time I got my hands on it. I didn't find it particularly well-balanced. I would probably buy it again but not very often as there are a number of others beers I prefer within this price range.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

A - amber to orange with frothy rich head

S - nice but subdued clean malt with a bit of hop. very classic pale ale

T - This beer is on the verge of being really good. All the components are there - they just don't stand out enough. There's a nice malt note, but its rather bland and timid. It finishes with a somewhat nice blended hop piney/citric flavor - but again its very bland. The whole effort just seemed a bit restrained. What I did like was you could tell the water was very good, and the beer has a nice smoothness and brightness to it. Its good but just almost like watered down.

M - good mouthfeel due to the nice quality soft water used and brightness of the hops and malt. Very smooth and glides across the palette.

D - its drinkable but because I kept being reminded of a watered down taste it didn't exactly make me want to imediately crack another. Man o man - if they just could amp this brew up a bit and make each ingredient pop a little more it could be a great brew. Seems flat, uninspiring, and bland.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Somewhere between bronze and gold is where this beer lies. Fluffy white foam. Stickiness abounds.

Pine smell, detectable hoppiness.

Huge potent hoppy swarm of bees punches me right in the teeth right from the get go. Bitterness buries any flavor completely. This is one powerful pale ale, but definitely not for me. Acid in my mouth.

See why hop heads like this so much, sorry to say I didn't.

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

On tap at PJ Whelihan's in Medford, NJ. Served in a shaker.

Pour: Clear copper with a finger of off white head. Nice lacing.

Smell: Pretty light cirtus, with a bready caramel sweetness.

Taste: Bready malt forward, caramel, light citrus, light grassy hops. Meh.

Mouthfeel: Really light, but too bready on the taste which diminished this one's drinkability.

Overall: Forgettable. Won't get again

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured a can into a pint glass

A: cloudy reddish orange
S: overly grapefruit floral hops.. not too much else
T: So... someone had described this beer to me as similar to Sierra Nevada APA but more hoppy.. and okay.. I could see what they meant but in all honesty.. not how I would describe this beer.. I didn't find this to be terrible but the hop taste was overly grapefruity and just sort of off-putting. Citric taste of the hops.. a tad bit overbearing. This is a tough call.. as I am on my second can.. Not sure how I feel about having another four to finish out my night.. skeptical. Way too biting.. almost astringent.
M: mouthfeel was nice, nothing wrong with the feel of this pale ale. But the taste of it is what's bringing me down...
D: Probably won't be getting this one again. Drinkable.. yeahh sure.. sort of. Not my cup of tea.. or beer.. uhmm.. yeah.

3.09/5  rDev -21.4%

Very mediocre and unremarkable. Bitterness/astringency mask the little flavor there is here. It's not particularly bad but I can't see any reason to get this again. There are dozens of better beers at any decent liquor store, including their Pinner IPA.

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Beer pourd from can into tumbler at 48 degrees. Beer was a strange cloudy orange color. Beer had a great big head that lasted forever that exuded a very hoppy nose. Beer was really smooth feeling almost thich in the mouth. A bit too hoppy for my taste, will not but again.

3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

A - poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass. Can had born-on date on the bottom. Poured deep amber with an off-white two-finger head and slippery lacing.

S - biscuit and pepper with a bit of citrus.

T - first impression is an alcohol blast then followed up by subtle malts. Grapefruit is on the outer edge.

M - medium bodied with a good amount of aftertaste with some bitterness.

O - Disappointed that a good appearance and smell were not followed up with similar taste, but hey...we're here for the taste, right? Wouldn't skip over a bunch of other beers to buy this one again.

3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

Served on-draught into a non-imperial pint glass in high altitude Denver, Colorado. Reviewed from notes. Paired with an elk burger and some french fries.

A: Pours a one finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and average retention. Colour is a clear copper.

Sm: Light hops and slight cream. A very light aroma.

T: Nicely hoppy, crisp, and pleasant, but lacking full flavour or complexity. It isn't layered, but features some light cream lacing undertones. Very light toasted malt. The finish isn't too bitter (fortunately). Built decently well, and balanced nicely.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with enough coarseness on the climax to bring out the flavours. Complements the flavour generally.

Dr: Drinkable and pleasant, but far from exemplary.

3.16/5  rDev -19.6%

Full copper-red. Very fine beige head sticks around throughout leaving nice lacing.

Nose is bready, caramel malt with a good dose of earthy, slightly citric hops. The toffee-ish notes are more than I'd prefer, but certainly within style.

Medium in the mouth with the caramel malts leading the way. Not as sweet as the nose would lead one to believe (thankfully), but still too much for me. Very reminiscent of New Glarus' Hearty Hop. Could use more bitterness to balance the malt, but the finish is still decently long.

Mouthfeel is fine, with carbonation on the higher end of the scale, which helps cut through the maltiness. Drinkable, but just not my preferred expression of the style. Can 5 of a six pack.

3.16/5  rDev -19.6%

Very bitter right from the start, I wasnt expecting that. I dont ususally drink from cans but I had to try this. Ten bucks for a six pack of cans seems a bit steep especially since there isnt too much special about this beer. But after the first one went down it wasnt as bitter as the first, add a frosty mug and your good to go.

3.16/5  rDev -19.6%

a: This was dark for an APA, it was an amber/orange color. It was served to me with a medium sized white head that stuck around for a while.

s: Big caramel malt aromas here. Some piney hop bitterness as well, but I wanted more.

t: As the smell suggested, this was heavy on the malts. Sweet, caramel, raw tasting malts. Some hop bitterness at the end, but it was hard to pick out from the sweetness.

m: This was very well carbonated and refreshing.

d: To sweet for an APA, this one isn't for me.

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

A: A deep gold, topped with a nice creamy/frothy head. A decent looking pour.

S: A mild aroma of citrus hops... orange/grapefruit. A little malty backbone works its way into things, a touch of caramel.

T: A toasty malt grain, a bit a flowery herbal hops bitterness, followed by a dry tannin finish that is kind of unusual. Body was lacking any sort of expressiveness, with a very weak carbonation - I kind of expected more, considering the foamy pour. Kind of creamy, though, to make up for it, in a way.

D: This was okay, and I'd like to give it another shot some time, as it has some interesting characteristics. A part of me liked it, a part of me disliked it, so I'll have to venture into it again to try to do it some justice.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew