Dale's Pale Ale | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good
Read the review
Dale's Pale AleDale's Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States
oskarblues.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Todd on 10-08-2002

Reviews: 1,916 | Ratings: 7,196
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

My first pale ale, and at first sip it is pale, but as I continue to sip it opens up more. I'm a huge fan of the look, smell, and feel. I have to go back and change my 3.5 for taste to a 4.25, wow those spice undertones were hidden. The carbonation is on point. Glad to have tried it.

Poured from a can dated 9/28/15 into a pint glass. Very standard light copper color with a foamy, bubbly white head. Scent is very pale toned as the style suggests, a little bit of grain and malt on the taste too, very middle of the road pale ale with a decent clean feeling.

Sessionable and relatively refreshing, first thing that hits my mind is good fishing beer -- I don't know why but just gives me a reach into your ice cooler, grab a beer, pop it and voila kind of feel. Very easy drinking, not too high of alcohol, easy to unwind, veryy simple but good beer.

I will admit there are plenty of other choices I'd rather spend my cash on repeatedly but this is a nice beer. I would've thought it was a Texas beer had I not known, just gives off that kind of vibe; that being said I much prefer OB's IPA. Maybe I just like the excitement and variety of the stronger IPA counterparts moreso than the laid back APA style. Cheers!

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft in a pint

L - has a really nice golden color. very minimal head retention. lots of lacing present. just a little hazy

S - lots of earthy, piney smells. relatively mild aroma. slight bready notes from the malt.

T - light carbonation. pretty drinkable. lemongrass and orange peels. lightly bitter. malt taste reminds me of crackers.

F - pretty malty for a pale ale. feels slightly unbalanced. hops dont linger too long. leaves a light oily residue on the palate.

O - this definitely tastes like a more wintery pale ale. it's pretty heavy but still goes down relatively smooth. Dales is always a great go to when the air is chilly but im not feeling a double ipa.

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can poured into a half pint glass

A: Pours a dark honey orange with a white head, lots of carbonation, some lacing, some head retention.

A: Hint of lemon zest, some resin, little bit of pine, not much else on the nose.

T: Lemon zest, pine, resin, moderate amount of bitterness, finish is dry with hints of citrus peel in the aftertaste, subtle flavors, very drinkable.

M: Light-medium body mouthfeel with a semi-dry finish.

O: As far as APAs, there are better out there, but this beer is very enjoyable, not at all disappointed, a solid APA and beer, very drinkable. I could see myself crushing some of these on a hot southern CA summer day.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%

Drank straight from the can. Not a super aromatic beer. Even after all these years, this beer still hits that resiny citrus note well for me. While certainly not the greatest beer I've ever had, I hope there isn't a time where I can't appreciate one of these.

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

been reviewed to death. nothing i'm going to add will change that.

someone below mentioned oranges and tangerines with bread in the taste, and that's probably a good summary. however, that's not really a great taste combination. there's a reason we don't have oranges on bread.

maybe i've just got some taste lingering from the last beer, but it's not working for me tonight.

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can. Flavors of malt, pine and citrus. Finishes slightly bitter. Well balanced beer, very drinkable, but certainly not my favorite APA.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've been drinking Dales Pale Ale since it arrived here in NWA and its honestly gotten better than the first time i had it.

A: Pours a nice dark amber color out of the can with a steady head to it.

S: Very caramel malt oriented and piney right up front with a nice hop presence.

T: Extremely crisp! very refreshing beer, has some nice strong hops towards the end of the sip.

O: As far as Pale Ales go, this has been my favorite. Very easy to drink, pleasant and not boring to drink like most pale ales I've had lately.

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a great and well balanced pal ale. It has a great hoppy finish that is dry - unique among most pale ales that I've had. When fresh I'd rank this among the better pale ales.

3.51/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can dated 10.30.15. Nice smell and color. Citrus and pine. Good head. Goes down smooth, besides the heavy carbonation, and then finishes bitter. More bitter than a standard pale ale. I'd drink it again but wouldn't seek it out. Cheers!

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy pale burnt orange color with a thin wisp of a white head. It dissipated immediately and left barely any lacing.
The smell had a sweet caramel maltiness up front coming across somewhat like a biscuity to bready tone. Light citrus graces the undercarriage of the aroma.
The taste carries the malts again up front in a sweet sort of way. Light citrusy hops play with a side score of bitterness. The aftertaste is manageably sweet. Lingering dry yet somewhat refreshing finish.
The mouthfeel was light bodied with a crisp sweet malty sessionability about it. Carbonation seems to hit right on my tongue for an APA.
Overall, what's all the hubbub about other than just another malty crushable can good for sippin' in the deer stand or fishin' off the lake. Personally, though, I'd go after other cans of APA to deal with my other activities, just me, perhaps.

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice and crisp pale ale, hops add mild bitterness and dry out the finish. Pours straw yellow with small head, but lots of lacing. Mellow aroma, sharper taste, and smooth finish. Good with food.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

19.2 oz canned on 7/14/15 poured into a tall Dos Equis pilsner glass. Soapy two inch head on top of a beautiful orange color of beer. Tiny carb bubbles happily dance to the surface. Smell is rich malt with grapefruit hiding behind wanting to poke its head out. Taste is easy orange, tangerine and malt bread that molds together forming a great refreshment after a hard day's of work. Light dry body that entices me to drink more. Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can. Copper with a foamy, long lasting, off-white head. Aroma is a little malty, some pine notes. Taste is sweet, malty, bready, with some bitterness in the end. Very well balanced flavor profile, great blend of malt and hop flavors. Palate is pretty smooth, some bubbles, medium feel overall. Definitely a solid and flavorful beer. Very enjoyable.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale

A: nut brown crossed with amber with a long lasting foamy white head on top. Quite an aesthetically pleasing brew.

S: wow, so floral and piney, it smells like a sweet wildflower hop bouquet in the pine forest.

T: sweet candy malt, well balanced by lots of juicy hops. I’d say a tangerine-pine hop profile.

M: sticks around on the palate. To be expected of such a sugary beer.

O: a really good everyday pale, hopped enough that it might be called an IPA. Malt forward, easy to drink. 4.6/5.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Ah, the widely distributed APA from Oskar Blues. I'm just wondering where in the U.S. one can't get this, ah, to no avail, here's the rest.
This was poured into a pint glass, but FYI, I also love to pour this into a can glass every now and again, just gotta have some fun glassware.
The appearance was a hazy burnt orange color with a one and a half finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Light lacing stuck around the glass decently.
The smell starts off with a nice caramel maltiness with a balanced dose of citrus hops.
The taste was full throttle to balance and boot my tastebuds to the next level - burst of the citrus smacking around the caramel malts to show an utter display of power in the flavor. The aftertaste does have the caramel malt, so yeah, its pretty sweet. There's a sticky sweet caramel finish.
The mouthfeel sat about light to medium on the body with a nice sessionability about it. Carbonation runs good.
Overall, old school styled APA kickin' butt and takin' names for the win! What's not to like? Of course, I'd have this again.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a pint nonic glass. An interesting hazy orange color. A distinct hop smell. Taste is hoppy from start to finish. Not my most favorite hop centered beer but I would probably purchase it again especially if it was on tap.

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%

BALANCED. Dales Pale Ale is hoppy, slightly bitter, and decently malty. The taste is so balanced its incredible. The hop bitterness on the back end is perfect for the malt sweetness. This beer is incredible!

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Glowing kinda-hazy orange-amber body, lots of carbonation, huge head that leaves a ton of lace. Smell and body are equal between orange rind and toffee malt, with a bit of husk finish. Full body, slightly heavy with syrupy malt/hop resins, sharp carbonation.
A easy drinking go-to. Not the best clarity of flavors or of style, but simple to enjoy.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can at America on Tap Saturday
I'm kind of surprised I haven't rated this before. Rich bready caramel earthy spicy citrus and pine hops to counter, just a great beer.

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This seems to be a sweetheart around the forums, I figured I'd try it.

Served in a nonic pint.

Look : Honey colored body, 40% transparent, with a towering cream colored head standing at a full 3 fingers. It leaves dense, snowy, static-y lace on the sides as it recedes, nearly covering the glass like a disease.

Smell : A mixture of tropical and pine, with a little bit of peach infusion. Malts are crackery, fruit winning out once again towards the end.

Taste : Lots of fruit. Peach, apricot, grapefruit, blood orange. Behind that is biscuit malts, a dump of hop oils, finally wrapping up with a sharp note of pine and skin of a plum.

Feel : Creamy, dense, well-lit carbonation, ends unsubstantial.

Overall : Lots of fruit in this IPA, but it doesn't quite come together for me. Malts are not properly balanced, it ends up being a fruit-hop bomb. The fruit makes me crave sweetness, but instead it's chock full of rind bitterness (no surprise there). Overall it tastes off, I'm just not a fan.

Not bad...nuthin' special...bought some while on vacation in Colorado & its nuthin' I feel to be good enough to take any home with...wanna find something really new & good in Colorado to knock me off my feet & this just is not it.

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can poured into pint glass
looks orange/dark copper beautiful! with a moderate white head
left a lot of lace on glass
smell is hoppy resiny malty slightly fruity overall complex
taste hoppy and malty
sour slightly bitter aftertaste
overall solid reminds me greatly of mendocino brewings Eye of the Hawk
not my favorite oskar blues but will drink again

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pretty golden brown color, looks unfiltered, barely off white head.

Smells pretty good, classic. Malt & hops, in balance.

Taste is pretty good. Definitely hoppy, on the astringent side of bitter, yet still with some sweetness.

Rich mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation, very fine.

Finish is well integrated. Somehow the parts are good, but the whole is less - I don't love this.

3.38/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce can purchased last night from a local deli and poured into a Spiegelau stemmed Pilsner glass. I first tried this beer about a year ago on tap at a local bar and recalled it being a bit too hoppy for me. But that was not my experience last night. Hoppy, but not overly so, with a nice mouth feel to it. An enjoyable beer and one I'd drink again, although I'd opt for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if both were available.

Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew